From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lanie Molinar
Sent: September-26-19 7:52 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Question About Copying Text

Hi everyone. I have a question about copying text from webpages or anywhere that has links. I'm taking online classes, and for the discussion board assignments, a lot of people are copying text containing links as part of their posts, somehow keeping the links and other formatting intact. I've been wanting to copy text that contains links this way, but when I copy text, all the formatting seems to be removed. Is their an accessible way to do this? I'm a pretty advanced computer and NVDA user, so I'm surprised I don't know this. Thanks.

--

Lanie Molinar

Disability Rights Advocate and Software Engineering Student at Brigham Young University-Idaho

Connect with me on LinkedIn

Phone: 832-284-2426

Certified expert with general use of NVDA (Non Visual Desktop Access and use of it with Microsoft Word. Learn more here.

Do you have multiple disabilities or know someone who does? Please check out and share my blog on life with multiple disabilities. Click the "Available Groups" link to find support and advocacy groups for people with multiple disabilities.

I'm not saving it. I'm copying it from a web page into a rich text edit box. I've also seen this when copying from a web page into a Microsoft Word document though.

On 9/26/2019 9:08 PM, Monte Single wrote:

What kind of document are you pasting the copied material into and in what format are you saving it?

[...]

Sandesh computer trainer HR

Hi,
I am try to understand your requirement.
Do you needed to see the web format in rich format document.
Or while your students copying text from web they should not copy the
links which comes in middle of the actual detailed text.

Kindly write your requirement with scenario
It is easy to help you out.
Because I have seen few NVDA and windows ten selection and paste
options and when require I am also applying it.

With regards,
Sandesh HR

On 9/27/19, Lanie Molinar <@LivingForGod1991> wrote:
I'm not saving it. I'm copying it from a web page into a rich text edit
box. I've also seen this when copying from a web page into a Microsoft
Word document though.

Email Signature

Young University-Idaho <https://byui.edu>

Connect with me on LinkedIn <https://linkedin.com/in/laniegmolinar/>

Phone: 832-284-2426

Certified expert with general use of NVDA (Non Visual Desktop Access
and use of it with Microsoft Word. Learn more here
<https://certification.nvaccess.org/>.

NVDA Certified Expert logo"NVDA Certified Expert (with Microsoft
Word)" logo

<https://lifewithmultipledisabilities.home.blog>. Click the "Available
[...]

Hi. Okay, let me try to explain this better. I'm taking an online class where there's a lot of reading. For some of the discussion board posts, we're supposed to copy and paste the part of the reading that we want to talk about. When my classmates copy text from the reading, they somehow manage to keep the links and other formatting intact. I want to be able to do this. I'm copying from a web page and pasting it into a rich text edit field. When I paste the copied text, all formatting and links seem to have been removed. I hope this helps you understand what I'm trying to do. Thanks.

On 9/27/19, Lanie Molinar <laniemolinar91@...> wrote:
[...]

Tony Malykh

I believe this is a feature (or a known problem) of NVDA - all the copy/paste commands in NVDA operate only on plain text. I just checked with Jaws - it can preserve formatting and hyperlinks when copying from browser to Microsoft word. Maybe others can tell whether this works with narrator.

I think I just found this workaround for you. If you select text in browser and then instead of pressing Control+C you press applications button and in the context menu select copy, then at least the hyperlinks seem to be preserved. This works for me when copying from Chrome to MS Word.

--Tony

[...]

Thanks. I'll try that workaround.

On 9/27/2019 12:07 PM, Tony Malykh wrote:

[...]

Chris Mullins

Hi

Surely these are Windows functions and nothing to do with any screen reader.  Copy the text to the clipboard then try using the “Paste Special” options in MS Word.  I believe it’s on the Home sub-menu.

Cheers

~Chris

[...]

That's not true. Control+C seems to be defined as NVDA shortcut, that overrides default Windows shortcut, see cursorManager.py:

def script_copyToClipboard(self,gesture):

On the other hand, my workaround bypasses this shortcut and triggers default windows copy to clipboard behavior.

--Tony

On 9/27/2019 11:57 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:

[...]

Luke Davis

On Fri, 27 Sep 2019, Chris Mullins wrote:

Surely these are Windows functions and nothing to do with any screen reader.  Copy the text to the clipboard then try using the “Paste Special” options in
MS Word.  I believe it’s on the Home sub-menu.
They are surely not, at least not in the context of web browsers.

In a web browser, the text you read with NVDA, is a special reproduction of what was actually on the page. It is called a virtual buffer.
The only time you are interacting with the webpage itself, is when you are in forms mode (focus mode). In order to copy in the way that is desired, you would need to be able to copy in focus mode. Of course, in focus mode, you can't actually hear or read what is being selected.

However, with NVDA+space, you can enter focus mode, use shift+arrow keys to highlight some text blindly, and use Control+C to copy it. Then press NVDA+space again.

At that point, you should be able to paste normally, and get formatting. However, odds are that you won't get the exact same stuff that you were reading before. Things that may have been presented on several lines, for example, may be presented as single selectable elements.

You will have to play with it, and will definitely have to carefully review anything you copy and paste in this way.

Luke

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 06:08 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
On Fri, 27 Sep 2019, Chris Mullins wrote:

Surely these are Windows functions and nothing to do with any screen reader.  Copy the text to the clipboard then try using the “Paste Special” options in
MS Word.  I believe it’s on the Home sub-menu.
They are surely not, at least not in the context of web browsers.
I was of the same mind as Mr. Mullins until this topic came up and I was disabused of the notion that copy, in particular, is being "hijacked" by the screen reader since what it's copying from is the virtual cursor (virtual buffer), not the webpage itself.

There are tricks one can use though, with the screen reader on and using the standard web browser find, not the screen reader find, to get yourself to the first word or phrase from which you wish to begin selecting, turning off the screen reader, and using keyboard commands to select and copy the text before turning the screen reader on again.   See:  Selecting Text Using Windows Keyboard Shortcuts

These shortcuts do not work in a web browser while the screen reader is active, but they sure do when it's not.  I just experimented on an article from the New York Times using NVDA.  If I did a browser find for the text I wanted as the start of my selection block, turned off the screen reader, and used the appropriate keyboard command to select it and what is beyond it (in my case I used SHIFT+Down Arrow to get a line at a time, intentionally overshooting, then turning the screen reader on again and pasting into MS-Word the formatting of all the click-through links is maintained.  There is some danger in picking up sidebar content you may not want using this method if you're selecting a large chunk of text, so you need to check that you don't have anything extraneous.

But it is a way to get a chunk of text out of a web page with formatting preserved for pasting elsewhere that can keep that formatting, like a word processor.

I also found that the CTRL+A command works to select all from the webpage even when NVDA is on, and if you're good at hacking out all that precedes and follows a passage or passages you wish to retain in a word processor, you can paste the whole article (images and all, including sidebar content) into MS-Word and deal with it there.  Even the HTML structure is pasted into Word and shows up in the navigation pane, if you're using same, so the various headings, etc., are there.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

And that sould have been "disabused of the notion that the Copy command is NOT being hijacked . . ."

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Luke Davis

On Tue, 1 Oct 2019, Brian Vogel wrote:

reader on and using the standard web browser find, not the screen reader find, to get yourself to the first word or phrase from which you wish to begin
selecting, turning off the screen reader, and using keyboard commands to select and copy the text before turning the screen reader on again.
Without turning the screen reader off, can you do the same thing by using the keyboard bypass command before (each of) your other commands? In NVDA's case, the bypass command is NVDA+F2.

Luke

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 08:11 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
can you do the same thing by using the keyboard bypass command before (each of) your other commands?
I don't know, as I was doing "quick and dirty" experimentation.  I would imagine that pass through would work.  Others here will likely have more opportunity in the very short term to check that than I will.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

I just tested it out, and it doesn't work. After I select the text using NVDA, i use NVDA+F2 to pass the next key through and then try to copy the text. Nothing gets copied though. I'm guessing this is because NVDA overrides the selection process, so when I try to copy, the computer acts like nothing is selected.

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 10:57 PM, Lanie Molinar wrote:
After I select the text using NVDA,
And therein lies the issue.  What I was trying to communicate earlier is that you cannot use NVDA itself to do the actual selection.

Personally, I think it makes a lot more sense to keep NVDA running, use CTRL+A to select all, and paste the whole shebang into MS-Word or similar and do your actual searching for the material you actually want to save in the word processor.  Yes, it's a workaround, but it's not very labor intensive to dig through that text in the word processor and, in fact, I'd say it's less so.

It's very handy that select all, CTRL+A, still works on a webpage just like it does when a screen reader running as it does when it's not.  There is no need for any pass-through gyrations.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Luke Davis

On Tue, 1 Oct 2019, Lanie Molinar wrote:

I just tested it out, and it doesn't work. After I select the text using NVDA, i use NVDA+F2 to pass the next key through and then try to copy the text.
Nothing gets copied though. I'm guessing this is because NVDA overrides the selection process, so when I try to copy, the computer acts like nothing is
selected.
True. I was suggesting using the bypass command with the selection commands as well. You selected the text using NVDA, which is known not to work.

I was mainly asking to find out if it worked, as someone had suggested it on github recently.

The answer is: it does. Specifically:

Move to where you want to start copying from, approximately. Brian's search method might work best for this.
Next, press NVDA+F2.
Then, use shift+arrow keys to select text. Note, that as long as you keep shift pressed, you don't have to press the bypass key again.
Last, when you're done selecting, press NVDA+F2, then Control+C to copy.

Lots of key pressing, but it's an option.

Luke

Bianka Brankovic <bianka.brankovic@...>

Hi list,

I have been using Brian’s suggested method regularly.

It works with Wordpad as well and even better sometimes as getting around in a text with preserved HTML structure and a lot of graphics can be a chore in MS Word wen you solely rely on a screenreader sometimes.

Kind regards,

Bianka

kelby carlson

I have tried this. However, when I press shift down arrow after
passing the key through, all I get is a "no selection" announcement
when I try to copy to the clipboard.