Jaws is now doing better with thunderbird than nvda

Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...>

Hi.  The subject says it all.  Just recently, I've been having a smoother experience using Jaws 2019 with Tthunderbird.  While with NVDA Thunderbird drags and lags like some creaky old machine, it seems to have developed a better understanding with Jaws.  IF there are lags, they are less pronounced.  Going through mail, typing out messages, these chores seem to be less frustrating, in fact, without frustration on most occasions.  I used to think that NVDA would always be a smoother ride with TB hands down, but not any more.  I hope the powers that be will take note of this.  Some have pinpointed TB as the cause, but I'm not sure it is so straightforward as that anymore.  I had to resort to checking and writing mail with Jaws as my screen reader because NVDA is giving me daily frustrations when it comes to dealing with TB.  Cheers!

I never understood why people are getting this lag? I don't get it. If you delete your trash regularly, change the settings so that absolutely nothing is saved on the machine, and delete emails rather than keeping junk mail, there is no lag what so ever with NVDA. I don't get it, and I don't understand why so many are having this issue.

Sascha Cowley

Yeah, I've never had issues with NVDA and Thunderbird.

On 29/09/2019 08:34, Robert Kingett wrote:

I never understood why people are getting this lag? I don't get it. If you delete your trash regularly, change the settings so that absolutely nothing is saved on the machine, and delete emails rather than keeping junk mail, there is no lag what so ever with NVDA. I don't get it, and I don't understand why so many are having this issue.

Well it depends what you are doing.

I do have my performance settings quite high, but yeah the system is lagging a lot between tasks, but I am on battery and working the system quite hard now.

Its holding charge quite well but since I don't go out as much I need to use my battery when doing work which is not audio related as I knew it chews battery a lot faster.

On 29/09/2019 11:34 am, Robert Kingett wrote:

I never understood why people are getting this lag? I don't get it. If you delete your trash regularly, change the settings so that absolutely nothing is saved on the machine, and delete emails rather than keeping junk mail, there is no lag what so ever with NVDA. I don't get it, and I don't understand why so many are having this issue.

Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...>

Right, so I didn't do what you did, and jaws is still doing fine with tb while NVDA most times struggles.  So what is the catch there?

On 9/29/2019 6:34 AM, Robert Kingett wrote:

I never understood why people are getting this lag? I don't get it. If you delete your trash regularly, change the settings so that absolutely nothing is saved on the machine, and delete emails rather than keeping junk mail, there is no lag what so ever with NVDA. I don't get it, and I don't understand why so many are having this issue.

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I don't get it either.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Brian Sackrider

    cConciter yourself very lucky that you don't get the lag.  My friend has jaws and he does not get the lag or the freeze ups.  I use nvda and I don't keep any messages in any folders in thunder bird.  When I get the big freeze I have to restart nvda and this only happens in thunder bird and no whear else.  I have global search unchecked and that does help somewhat but not all is as it should be.  It seems to be worse on the latest version 68 and on 60 it is not very bad.  It's a problem with that version and nvda.

Brian Sackrider

On 9/28/2019 7:42 PM, Jaffar Sidek wrote:

Right, so I didn't do what you did, and jaws is still doing fine with tb while NVDA most times struggles.  So what is the catch there?

On 9/29/2019 6:34 AM, Robert Kingett wrote:

I never understood why people are getting this lag? I don't get it. If you delete your trash regularly, change the settings so that absolutely nothing is saved on the machine, and delete emails rather than keeping junk mail, there is no lag what so ever with NVDA. I don't get it, and I don't understand why so many are having this issue.

Mobeen Iqbal

Hi.

No issues here either and I've been using it for years.

Cheers,

Mo.

On 29/09/2019 02:35, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I don't get it either.

On 9/28/2019 6:34 PM, Robert Kingett wrote:

I never understood why people are getting this lag? I don't get it. If you delete your trash regularly, change the settings so that absolutely nothing is saved on the machine, and delete emails rather than keeping junk mail, there is no lag what so ever with NVDA. I don't get it, and I don't understand why so many are having this issue.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

I see no reason for people to upgrade Thunderbird every time one is offerred.  It may be, as a list member implied, that the problem is worse with one or morenewer versions.  Has this problem been around since before Quantum Thunderbird or did it coincide with Quantum?

Unless people want new features, which usually have nothing to do with e-mail, they might solve the problem by going back to older versions and seeing where the problem no longer exists or is minor.

Of course, there is always the possibility of vulnerabilities in older versions of Thunderbird but e-mail is a very old protocol and I doubt anything, or anything serious, exists, going back a good way.

Gene,

No issues here either and I've been using it for years.

Cheers,

Mo.

On 29/09/2019 02:35, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I don't get it either.

On 9/28/2019 6:34 PM, Robert Kingett wrote:

I never understood why people are getting this lag? I don't get it. If you delete your trash regularly, change the settings so that absolutely nothing is saved on the machine, and delete emails rather than keeping junk mail, there is no lag what so ever with NVDA. I don't get it, and I don't understand why so many are having this issue.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Even though I am running the latest version of TB, I went looking for resources and links for others to try. Check the below links. First, you can always, you know, file bug reports? Maybe? On the actual git site? Maybe? Anyway, aside from OE Classic, homepage link, The below links boast some email alternatives.

  1. Alternate email clients by Mozilla.
  2. Another list of email clients. All open source.
  3. TB on Github. File bug reports.

Sarah k Alawami

I've ben having issues since tBird 60, so last year, , same lag as everyone else, typng etc, Even the 64 bit version lags just a bit as well.

and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

On 29 Sep 2019, at 6:14, Gene wrote:

[...]

Don H

I have no issues using Thunderbird with NVDA and never have. It is responsive and easy to use. Using Thunderbird 60 on Win 10 1903 and NVDA 2019.2. I have four different Email addresses, three from my Internet provider and one from Gmail. Using Pop3.

Gene

You can still use Windows Live mail and a lot of people do.

Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2019 9:35 AM

Even though I am running the latest version of TB, I went looking for resources and links for others to try. Check the below links. First, you can always, you know, file bug reports? Maybe? On the actual git site? Maybe? Anyway, aside from OE Classic, homepage link, The below links boast some email alternatives.

  1. Alternate email clients by Mozilla.
  2. Another list of email clients. All open source.
  3. TB on Github. File bug reports.

how can someone set thunderbird that not download any email and not
save anythings on the computer locally?
i wish to use thunderbird, but as someone told, it downloaded
thousands of my historical emails to my computer and even update my
emails again anytime that i use thunderbird!
doing this, waiste both my hard disk space and my internet charge.
although i selected emap for my gmail in thunderbird, when i use arrow
keys to navigate between my emails and folders in thunderbird, it
seems thunderbird download them automaticly without my permission or
confirmation!
this link explain using gmail with thunderbird.
if i understood correctly, it claims that thunderbird download emails
automaticly.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/thunderbird-and-gmail

On 9/29/19, Robert Kingett <kingettr@gmail.com> wrote:
I never understood why people are getting this lag? I don't get it. If you
delete your trash regularly, change the settings so that absolutely nothing
is saved on the machine, and delete emails rather than keeping junk mail,
there is no lag what so ever with NVDA. I don't get it, and I don't
understand why so many are having this issue.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Hope Williamson <hopeisjoyful@...>

The problem with JAWS and thunderbird is that it doesn't announce the message you're on like NVDA does. I wish it would but it just doesn't.

Hope Williamson <hopeisjoyful@...>

Let me clarify what I mean. I mean JAWS won't announce the message number, and NVDA will. I wish it would but it won't.

Tyler Wood

I stopped using Thunderbird because of excessive memory usage (there is no reason for an email client to use 800 plus MB of ram) and absolutely horrific responsiveness, at least with NVDA.

Outlook, for me, is working fantastic. Windows 10 mail was really nice until it started expanding all my threaded messages. So was thunderbird until going through folders /gmail labels resulted in a 5-10 second wait time with NVDA per folder. That is hardly productive.

No issues here either and I've been using it for years.

Cheers,

Mo.

On 29/09/2019 02:35, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Group,

I don't get it either.

On 9/28/2019 6:34 PM, Robert Kingett wrote:

I never understood why people are getting this lag? I don't get it. If you delete your trash regularly, change the settings so that absolutely nothing is saved on the machine, and delete emails rather than keeping junk mail, there is no lag what so ever with NVDA. I don't get it, and I don't understand why so many are having this issue.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Rosemarie Chavarria

I used to use thunderbird but I stopped because it was extremely sluggish with both jaws and NVDA. Now I’m using the mail app and it’s working great with NVDA.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Actually, nvda does not say the message number. It will read it as if it was in a table which is anyoing. I. wish I could get that to stopbut oh well.

On 29 Sep 2019, at 8:41, Hope Williamson wrote:

Let me clarify what I mean. I mean JAWS won't announce the message number, and NVDA will. I wish it would but it won't.

Hope Williamson <hopeisjoyful@...>

Unfortunately the issue with the mail app is that there are no local folders. I have lots of recipes and things that I like to save.