From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cordelia Scharpf
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2019 5:48 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA and Signal App

Hi:

I am new to this list. Therefore, please pardon me if this question has already been raised and answered. I would like to know if NVDA is compatible with and works well with Signal App on Windows 10 PCs to be used as a substitute for WhatsApp.

Thanks and best,
Cordelia

Mallard

Hello Cordelia,

I'm using Signal on android, and was just going to install it on Windows.

From what a friend told me, it should work wel with NVDA, because it works in html.

He was complaining about the fact that Signal displays messages as a table, rather than as a list on Windows,

but I haven't seen it myself yet.

If you agree, let's try and install it, and then compare notes, either here or off-list.

I don't know whether this would be considered O.T., but it's about NVDA's interaction with an app, so I don't know.

I'm a bit confused about what's on topic and what isn't.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 30/09/2019 11:47, Cordelia Scharpf ha scritto:
Hi:

I am new to this list. Therefore, please pardon me if this question has already been raised and answered. I would like to know if NVDA is compatible with and works well with Signal App on Windows 10 PCs to be used as a substitute for WhatsApp.

Thanks and best,
Cordelia

Mallard

Ok, I've installed Signal Desktop. Either I'm totally stupid, or it doesn't work as expected with NVDA.

I can't even set it up properly. It keeps telling me that my data have been imported, and that I have to choose a folder. I can't choose any folder, and it isn't clear where data are placed.

Don't know what to say...

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 30/09/2019 17:36, Mallard ha scritto:
Hello Cordelia,

I'm using Signal on android, and was just going to install it on Windows.

From what a friend told me, it should work wel with NVDA, because it works in html.

[...]

Cordelia Scharpf

Hi, Ollie:

Thanks for testing Signal. I wonder whether things might improve if the window itself were maximized. This was one of the pieces of advice I often got from tech foks whenever I ran into trouble with seeing the screen of a software program set up the first time around. Either it needs to be "maximized" from within or from outside by "maximizing" the link of said software program on the desktop. (I am still using Windows 7, so I have not tried Signal yet.)

And yes, let's compare notes on how it does on Windows. I would like to use in addition to the one installed on my iPhone.

Same as you, I am not sure whether it is okay to discuss this topic here or whether we shall do so privately.

Best,
Cordelia

Ok, I've installed Signal Desktop. Either I'm totally stupid, or it
doesn't work as expected with NVDA.

I can't even set it up properly. It keeps telling me that my data have
been imported, and that I have to choose a folder. I can't choose any
folder, and it isn't clear where data are placed.

Don't know what to say...

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 30/09/2019 17:36, Mallard ha scritto:
Hello Cordelia,

I'm using Signal on android, and was just going to install it on Windows.

From what a friend told me, it should work wel with NVDA, because it
works in html.

[...]

Nimer Jaber

Hello,

This topic is really best for the chat list. Why? Because it is not speaking as to NVDA features, rather about how to use an app. I think it is appropriate to ask whether an app is accessible, but once we determine whether or not it is, any questions about the app in question and not about NVDA features tend to drift to off-topic categories. Also, I would urge anyone with a question about whether or not an app is accessible to try it.

If anyone has a question about whether or not something is on topic, please write to nvda+owner@nvda.groups.io and I would be happy to discuss this with you. I don't believe the current policies are confusing, but if you believe they are, please let me know that as well.

Thanks.

Thanks.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

you, and have a great day!

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 01:05 PM, Nimer Jaber wrote:
This topic is really best for the chat list. Why? Because it is not speaking as to NVDA features, rather about how to use an app. I think it is appropriate to ask whether an app is accessible, but once we determine whether or not it is, any questions about the app in question and not about NVDA features tend to drift to off-topic categories. Also, I would urge anyone with a question about whether or not an app is accessible to try it.
I am repeating the above because it bears repeating and I was the moderator who approved the initial topic.   Asking whether something is accessible or not using NVDA is appropriate, though I absolutely agree that the best way to determine this is to install and play with it.  That's precisely what I do in almost all cases and it gives a quick and reasonably accurate picture as to whether something is entirely inaccessible, partially accessible, or entirely accessible.

As soon as the discussion turns to using an application itself, but not NVDA, it belongs on the Chat Subgroup.  I have been very pleased that there have been increasing numbers of members joining the Chat Subgroup and using it, mostly for technical questions regarding various programs and how to use them and their settings.  There has been the occasional social or other topic, but those are few and far between.

I realize that there are lots of questions that one may wish to ask of the other folks who are part of the NVDA Group that are not directly NVDA related, and that's the entire purpose of the Chat Subgroup.   It allows the focus to remain on NVDA itself in the main group and allows only those who wish to deal with non-NVDA-specific topics to do so.

Please consider joining the Chat Subgroup if you are already an NVDA group member and wish to be able to address all sorts of topics that are not directly connected to NVDA itself with other members of this community.  The pertinent e-mail addresses are:

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Mallard

Hello Cordelia,