Going to Top/End of Document with Braille Display

kelby carlson

Is there a way to go to the top and bottom of documents with a Braille display? I am using a BrailleNote Touch, and the typical dot 1-2-3 and 4-5-6 chords do not work. I also do not see this command in the input gestures dialogue.

David Csercsics

There is but only if you have the braille extender add-on installed. If you want to get something useful from NVDA I recommend you install the add-on. The commands are a bit weird though. Nothing at all like VoiceOver or JAWS so it'd take a bit to get used to. Once that add-on is installed then you can read the documentation and see all the commands assigned. I think maybe the braille note touch emulates a brailliant, but I'm not sure. If that's the case I can probably help you if you have trouble.

kelby carlson

The Touch and the Brailliant are in the same line, yes.

On Oct 11, 2019, at 9:04 AM, David Csercsics <bleeblat@...> wrote:

There is but only if you have the braille extender add-on installed. If you want to get something useful from NVDA I recommend you install the add-on. The commands are a bit weird though. Nothing at all like VoiceOver or JAWS so it'd take a bit to get used to. Once that add-on is installed then you can read the documentation and see all the commands assigned. I think maybe the braille note touch emulates a brailliant, but I'm not sure. If that's the case I can probably help you if you have trouble.

David Csercsics

Ok, good to know. Then you just need to download the braille extender add-on and take a look at the assigned gestures. The documentation is very poor, in terms of grammar, but all the commands are listed for your display. They don't have "top or bottom" of document, but they do have control+home and control+end which gets you there in most cases? Is the jaws commands doing something different? If you install braille extender then you can press  dots 2 3 8 and space

 for control + home and 3 5 8 + space for control + end. Not that that's at all intuitive, but that's the best I have found with NVDA.

kelby carlson

As I said, typically the command would be space with dots 12-2-3 or 4-5-""6. That's the way it is with JAWS and Voiceover and on most notetakers.

On Oct 11, 2019, at 10:28 AM, David Csercsics <bleeblat@...> wrote:

Ok, good to know. Then you just need to download the braille extender add-on and take a look at the assigned gestures. The documentation is very poor, in terms of grammar, but all the commands are listed for your display. They don't have "top or bottom" of document, but they do have control+home and control+end which gets you there in most cases? Is the jaws commands doing something different? If you install braille extender then you can press dots 2 3 8 and space

for control + home and 3 5 8 + space for control + end. Not that that's at all intuitive, but that's the best I have found with NVDA.

David Csercsics

Yes, jaws and voiceover have similar braille support, and that may be the one feature that causes me to investigate jaws subscription. But I'm not sure about a detailed comparison. It'd be nice if braille were more widely used and it got further testing. Most of the feature lists and testing are speech only, so it's hard to figure out what you're getting in some instances, since everyone does braille differently.

Vincent Le Goff <vincent.legoff.srs@...>

Also, I'd like to point out that these gestures can be changed. I usually don't run with the defaults.  Installing the addon will bring you a lot of new gestures in the input gestures dialog.  I guess not all of them can be customized (I don't know about CTRL + end) but you don't have to run with the default.  I usually prefer changing these shortcuts as soon as BrailleExtender is installed.

HTH,

Vincent

On 10/11/2019 4:28 PM, David Csercsics wrote:
Ok, good to know. Then you just need to download the braille extender add-on and take a look at the assigned gestures. The documentation is very poor, in terms of grammar, but all the commands are listed for your display. They don't have "top or bottom" of document, but they do have control+home and control+end which gets you there in most cases? Is the jaws commands doing something different? If you install braille extender then you can press  dots 2 3 8 and space

 for control + home and 3 5 8 + space for control + end. Not that that's at all intuitive, but that's the best I have found with NVDA.

Cordelia Scharpf

Do these "gestures" that you assign remain the same when new updates of BrailleExtender get released? I am new to this and have never attempted to modify commands/gestures.
Cordelia

[...]

John J. Boyer

How is this different from using the Windows control+top and control+end?

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...

André-Abush Clause <listes@...>

Hi all,

Regarding gestures, I am open to your suggestions/changes.

I am aware that the documentation is a big negative point of this add-on. Unfortunately my english is not good. So I prefer to focus my efforts on features. However if anyone want to help me on this, feel free to contact me. Any contribution is welcome! :)
Thanks a lot,

André