Sent: Monday, October 14, 2019 5:58 PM
Subject: [nvda] Capturing computer audio

Hello

What is the easiest way to capture the audio from NVDA - I have to send
feedback on a webpage to Google and they asked me to navigate and send
them the audio output.

Thanks,

--Sile

Gene

I should add that I didn't notice that this message is on the NVDA list, so I won't get into a detailed discussion here.

I will say, however, because this is NVDA related, that you may find that NVDA annoyingly reads all the Virtual Recorder controls when you first open the program and you can't stop it.  Aside frm that time wasting annoyance, NVDA works well with the program.

Also, I'm using a quite old version of NVDA and I'm using a modified version of the program.  You're results may differ.  But I wanted those who use the program not to think it is unusable if they see this behavior.

Gene.

If you only want to do this one time for one situation and have no general interest in recording, do you have anything like a digital recorder or a tape recorder you can use?

The easiest way, using a computer program might well be a program called Virtual Recorder.  But you can't edit with the program and if you care about that, if you have something like a digital recorder, that would be easier if you know how to edit with it.

Sent: Monday, October 14, 2019 5:58 PM

Hello

What is the easiest way to capture the audio from NVDA - I have to send
feedback on a webpage to Google and they asked me to navigate and send
them the audio output.

Thanks,

--Sile

Chris Mullins

Hi

Virtual recorder can be set so you can control it using shortcut keycommands and do not have to have the interface visible.  You can record your voice and NVDA simultaneously if your machine has a microphone, so you could switchh VR on from within the web page you want to navigate then comment on what you are doing as you go.

Cheers

Chris

Sent: Monday, October 14, 2019 5:58 PM

Hello

What is the easiest way to capture the audio from NVDA - I have to send
feedback on a webpage to Google and they asked me to navigate and send
them the audio output.

Thanks,

--Sile

Sarah k Alawami

You can also use OBS as well. then remux the vid into mp3. I hope hat helps a bit.

Sent: Monday, October 14, 2019 5:58 PM

Hello

What is the easiest way to capture the audio from NVDA - I have to send
feedback on a webpage to Google and they asked me to navigate and send
them the audio output.

Thanks,

--Sile

Luke Davis

Audacity is good at this. They have a tutorial page that instructs on how to do it:

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_recording_computer_playback_on_windows.html

Luke

On Mon, 14 Oct 2019, Sile via Groups.Io wrote:

What is the easiest way to capture the audio from NVDA - I have to send feedback on a webpage to Google and they asked me to navigate and send them the audio output.

Hi, speaking about Virtual Recorder, I couldn't find the link to download it.
Even the link found from google search seemed to be broken.

Sarah k Alawami 於 15/10/2019 19:39 寫道:

Sent: Monday, October 14, 2019 5:58 PM

Hello

What is the easiest way to capture the audio from NVDA - I have to send
feedback on a webpage to Google and they asked me to navigate and send
them the audio output.

Thanks,

--Sile

Sile

Thanks, this is great.

But my first tack is to write back to ask google why, when they have a fully staffed accessibility unit, they are asking me to test the accessibility of a product they own (the nest thermostat) on a browser they built (chrome).

--Sile

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 10:17 AM, Sile wrote:
But my first tack is to write back to ask google why, when they have a fully staffed accessibility unit, they are asking me to test the accessibility of a product they own (the nest thermostat) on a browser they built (chrome).
Because, as I've said before about many issues, most of them are idiosyncratic to the machine in question.   They may not even be able to reproduce your issue, so if you want them to look at it then it's up to you to submit samples.   That's the way it works.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Sile

I would normally agree, but the issue on this page is so obvious… The only way to interact with the nest thermostat is through a graphic. There’s absolutely no page structuring a no links or buttons are even visible to the screen reader let alone accessible.

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 10:59 AM, Sile wrote:
There’s absolutely no page structuring a no links or buttons are even visible to the screen reader let alone accessible.
Sadly, and not just in regard to accessibility issues, it's most often on the user's shoulders to convince the software/webpage maker that an issue exists.

Another of those, 'twas ever thus situations.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Arlene

If you use Audacity or other programs to capture Audio. Wil any screen reader be heard in the back ground?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Audacity is good at this. They have a tutorial page that instructs on how to do

it:

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_recording_computer_playback_on_windows.html

Luke

On Mon, 14 Oct 2019, Sile via Groups.Io wrote:

> What is the easiest way to capture the audio from NVDA - I have to send

> feedback on a webpage to Google and they asked me to navigate and send them

> the audio output.

Chris Mullins

Hi

If I do not want NVDA to spoil a recording I switch it to silent mode.  I record a lot from Youtube and the fact that there are shortcut keys to control Virtual Recorder, means I can put focus on the start button of YouTube, use NVDA+s to put NVDA in silent mode, press Windows+Control+g to start the recorder, then press enter to start Youtube playing.  When I’ve recorded what I want, I press Windows+Control+h to stop recording, NVDA+s twice to restore NVDA speech, then do whatever I need to do with Youtube.  Virtual Recorder also has a settting to silence system sounds, so yu don’t get the chime of arriving emails halfway through your recording.  Works a treat.

Cheers

Chris

If you use Audacity or other programs to capture Audio. Wil any screen reader be heard in the back ground?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Audacity is good at this. They have a tutorial page that instructs on how to do

it:

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_recording_computer_playback_on_windows.html

Luke

On Mon, 14 Oct 2019, Sile via Groups.Io wrote:

> What is the easiest way to capture the audio from NVDA - I have to send

> feedback on a webpage to Google and they asked me to navigate and send them

> the audio output.

Sarah k Alawami

You can do the same with obs.but for some reason my keys brake. I just edit out the stuff afterwords so for me it's no issue. If you want to know what I mean visit my youtube page. The link is in my sig.

Take care

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 16 Oct 2019, at 1:58, Chris Mullins wrote:

Hi

If I do not want NVDA to spoil a recording I switch it to silent mode.  I record a lot from Youtube and the fact that there are shortcut keys to control Virtual Recorder, means I can put focus on the start button of YouTube, use NVDA+s to put NVDA in silent mode, press Windows+Control+g to start the recorder, then press enter to start Youtube playing.  When I’ve recorded what I want, I press Windows+Control+h to stop recording, NVDA+s twice to restore NVDA speech, then do whatever I need to do with Youtube.  Virtual Recorder also has a settting to silence system sounds, so yu don’t get the chime of arriving emails halfway through your recording.  Works a treat.

Cheers

Chris

If you use Audacity or other programs to capture Audio. Wil any screen reader be heard in the back ground?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Audacity is good at this. They have a tutorial page that instructs on how to do

it:

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_recording_computer_playback_on_windows.html

Luke

On Mon, 14 Oct 2019, Sile via Groups.Io wrote:

> What is the easiest way to capture the audio from NVDA - I have to send

> feedback on a webpage to Google and they asked me to navigate and send them

> the audio output.

Arlene

Is virtual recorder free? Or do you have to pay for it?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

If I do not want NVDA to spoil a recording I switch it to silent mode.  I record a lot from Youtube and the fact that there are shortcut keys to control Virtual Recorder, means I can put focus on the start button of YouTube, use NVDA+s to put NVDA in silent mode, press Windows+Control+g to start the recorder, then press enter to start Youtube playing.  When I’ve recorded what I want, I press Windows+Control+h to stop recording, NVDA+s twice to restore NVDA speech, then do whatever I need to do with Youtube.  Virtual Recorder also has a settting to silence system sounds, so yu don’t get the chime of arriving emails halfway through your recording.  Works a treat.

Cheers

Chris

If you use Audacity or other programs to capture Audio. Wil any screen reader be heard in the back ground?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Audacity is good at this. They have a tutorial page that instructs on how to do

it:

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_recording_computer_playback_on_windows.html

Luke

On Mon, 14 Oct 2019, Sile via Groups.Io wrote:

> What is the easiest way to capture the audio from NVDA - I have to send

> feedback on a webpage to Google and they asked me to navigate and send them

> the audio output.

Chris Mullins

Hi Arlene

I’ll have another go.  Yes it’s free, have a look at this site:

https://blindhelp.net/software/virtual-recorder-13

Cheers

Chris

Is virtual recorder free? Or do you have to pay for it?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

If I do not want NVDA to spoil a recording I switch it to silent mode.  I record a lot from Youtube and the fact that there are shortcut keys to control Virtual Recorder, means I can put focus on the start button of YouTube, use NVDA+s to put NVDA in silent mode, press Windows+Control+g to start the recorder, then press enter to start Youtube playing.  When I’ve recorded what I want, I press Windows+Control+h to stop recording, NVDA+s twice to restore NVDA speech, then do whatever I need to do with Youtube.  Virtual Recorder also has a settting to silence system sounds, so yu don’t get the chime of arriving emails halfway through your recording.  Works a treat.

Cheers

Chris

If you use Audacity or other programs to capture Audio. Wil any screen reader be heard in the back ground?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Audacity is good at this. They have a tutorial page that instructs on how to do

it:

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_recording_computer_playback_on_windows.html

Luke

On Mon, 14 Oct 2019, Sile via Groups.Io wrote:

> What is the easiest way to capture the audio from NVDA - I have to send

> feedback on a webpage to Google and they asked me to navigate and send them

> the audio output.

Chris Mullins

Hi Arlene

Yes, it’s free, have a llok at the following site:

Is virtual recorder free? Or do you have to pay for it?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

If I do not want NVDA to spoil a recording I switch it to silent mode.  I record a lot from Youtube and the fact that there are shortcut keys to control Virtual Recorder, means I can put focus on the start button of YouTube, use NVDA+s to put NVDA in silent mode, press Windows+Control+g to start the recorder, then press enter to start Youtube playing.  When I’ve recorded what I want, I press Windows+Control+h to stop recording, NVDA+s twice to restore NVDA speech, then do whatever I need to do with Youtube.  Virtual Recorder also has a settting to silence system sounds, so yu don’t get the chime of arriving emails halfway through your recording.  Works a treat.

Cheers

Chris

If you use Audacity or other programs to capture Audio. Wil any screen reader be heard in the back ground?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Audacity is good at this. They have a tutorial page that instructs on how to do

it:

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_recording_computer_playback_on_windows.html

Luke

On Mon, 14 Oct 2019, Sile via Groups.Io wrote:

> What is the easiest way to capture the audio from NVDA - I have to send

> feedback on a webpage to Google and they asked me to navigate and send them

> the audio output.

Well, the link in the page is not working.

Chris Mullins 於 17/10/2019 17:10 寫道:

Hi Arlene

Yes, it’s free, have a llok at the following site:

Is virtual recorder free? Or do you have to pay for it?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

If I do not want NVDA to spoil a recording I switch it to silent mode.  I record a lot from Youtube and the fact that there are shortcut keys to control Virtual Recorder, means I can put focus on the start button of YouTube, use NVDA+s to put NVDA in silent mode, press Windows+Control+g to start the recorder, then press enter to start Youtube playing.  When I’ve recorded what I want, I press Windows+Control+h to stop recording, NVDA+s twice to restore NVDA speech, then do whatever I need to do with Youtube.  Virtual Recorder also has a settting to silence system sounds, so yu don’t get the chime of arriving emails halfway through your recording.  Works a treat.

Cheers

Chris

If you use Audacity or other programs to capture Audio. Wil any screen reader be heard in the back ground?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Audacity is good at this. They have a tutorial page that instructs on how to do

it:

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_recording_computer_playback_on_windows.html

Luke

On Mon, 14 Oct 2019, Sile via Groups.Io wrote:

> What is the easiest way to capture the audio from NVDA - I have to send

> feedback on a webpage to Google and they asked me to navigate and send them

> the audio output.

Sarah k Alawami

No, it is not free. And that blind help site shoudl seriously be taken down. It does cost, I can't remember how much as i don't use the app. We cannot have everytrhign for free. Everything including free has a price.

On 17 Oct 2019, at 2:16, Chris Mullins wrote:

Hi Arlene

I’ll have another go.  Yes it’s free, have a look at this site:

https://blindhelp.net/software/virtual-recorder-13

Cheers

Chris

Is virtual recorder free? Or do you have to pay for it?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

If I do not want NVDA to spoil a recording I switch it to silent mode.  I record a lot from Youtube and the fact that there are shortcut keys to control Virtual Recorder, means I can put focus on the start button of YouTube, use NVDA+s to put NVDA in silent mode, press Windows+Control+g to start the recorder, then press enter to start Youtube playing.  When I’ve recorded what I want, I press Windows+Control+h to stop recording, NVDA+s twice to restore NVDA speech, then do whatever I need to do with Youtube.  Virtual Recorder also has a settting to silence system sounds, so yu don’t get the chime of arriving emails halfway through your recording.  Works a treat.

Cheers

Chris

If you use Audacity or other programs to capture Audio. Wil any screen reader be heard in the back ground?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Audacity is good at this. They have a tutorial page that instructs on how to do

it:

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_recording_computer_playback_on_windows.html

Luke

On Mon, 14 Oct 2019, Sile via Groups.Io wrote:

> What is the easiest way to capture the audio from NVDA - I have to send

> feedback on a webpage to Google and they asked me to navigate and send them

> the audio output.

wayne <greenwood33@...>

For all of you that want to download virtual recorder this sendspace link will work for you. This is the installed version of virtual recorder.

Wayne