Sent: Friday, October 18, 2019 1:02 PM
Subject: [nvda] is this program really accessible

Hi NVDA users ken here.  I’ve recently run into quite the buzzsaw with someone.  An NVDA user friend of mine wanted me to help her tag a whole folder of music for play on a radio show.  I was trying to get her to change her default media player from windows media player to winamp and surprise! I’m trying to get her to find default apps in the start menu and she’s got a program that apparently makes windows 10 behave like 7.  I’d never heard of this program before and frankly am not so sure I’d trust it.  Does anyone know about such a program and if so can anyone confirm what I suspect that in fact this program really isn’t ment for a totally blind user?  I think she has rendered parts of windows 10 inaccessible.  Any thoughts?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Nimer Jaber

Hello,

I have no idea what exactly you are asking, but there are programs which will change aspects of Windows 10 and make it appear like Windows 7. Classic start or classic shell or whatever is one such program which gives you an alternate start menu to appear like Windows 7. I would say that these programs are not specific to blind people, but that's okay, isn't it? Unless you have a desire to only run blindy apps?

Thanks.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

you, and have a great day!

Nimer Jaber

Also, one more thing. These programs don't make parts of Windows 10 inaccessible. In fact, you can still access Windows 10 settings, the control panel, etc.

Thanks again.

[...]

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 02:07 PM, Gene wrote:
the question can be answered properly without knowing the name of the program.
Indeed.   But, if it's Classic Shell (still downloadable, but not supported), now known as Open Shell and taken over by volunteers, or Start10 all of the above are accessible/have no impact on accessibility.

One can also circumvent them, when desired, to use the native Windows 10 interface.

I find all of them to be awful crutches.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Lenron

I must agree, using win 10 is not bad at all once you get the hang of things.

https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu ) and taken over by
volunteers, or Start10 all of the above are accessible/have no impact on
accessibility.

One can also circumvent them, when desired, to use the native Windows 10
interface.

I find all of them to be awful crutches.

*The color of truth is grey.*

~ André Gide

--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832

Kevin Cussick

Hi, Classic shell is maybe the program she is using? it can make it look like an older OS like say windows7. I would always advise people to not use these programs! learn the OS as if you have to work on someone else computer this shell will not be installed not a good idea.