Topics

Replacing an Input Gesture

Suzy

Hello,

I am using Windows 10 (with all automatic updates installed), NVDA 2019.2.1, and a Braille Edge display. The HIMS driver is installed.
I began editing the Input gestures. I did not realize removing all gestures for a command, E.G. Alt_F4, would entirely remove the command as well.
Now that the command is gone, How do I get it back?
First, I looked through the documentation to see if I could re-enter the Alt+F4 command and found nothing. Next, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling NVDA. Finally, I repeated the uninstall/reinstall process. This time, however, I removed all NVDA folders I could find. These things did not fix the problem.
I can think of two things that might have kept me out of trouble.
1. Notify the user that removing the final option for an Input Gesture will remove the gesture, too.
2. Have a method for creating gestures. In my case, this would allow me to replace the functionality I accidentally deleted.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
suzy

Chris

The gestures.ini hold the custom gestures set in nvda

It can be found under c:\users\your profile name\appdata\roaming\nvda\gestures.ini

Rename  or remove then restart nvda to reset

[...]

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

Make a habit of creating the new gesture first then remove the old.

******My drinking team has a bowling problem.

[...]

Thank you for your help. I thought I deleted the NVDA folder in my user profile. Several settings had to be reset, when I reinstalled NVDA the second time. I figured that was proof.
All I know is this. When I followed your instructions, all available commands were back. I could set Alt+F4 to my preference. Of course, I had to re-enter other gestures, too.
Just for fun, I decided to see if I could edit the Gestures file directly. I am an avid Excel user. Therefore, a gesture for F2 is essential. Copying the form of the F4 gesture, I added an entry for F2. It works!
Although I fixed my mistake, I truly believe removing all available gestures from an existing command should not entirely delete the command.
There were many unassigned commands in the original Gestures.ini file.
Again, thank you so very much. I learned a lot today.
Suzy

Chris

Well done Suzy, I’m glad you got it sorted now and having fun editing the ini file , good on you! 😃

[...]

Luke Davis

On Tue, 22 Oct 2019, Suzy wrote:

Although I fixed my mistake, I truly believe removing all available gestures from an existing command should not entirely delete the command.
Nor does it, usually. What version of NVDA are you using?
And what command did you delete the gesture from? I know you said it was alt-F4, but what did you intend alt-F4 to do? Usually that is the windows command to close an application.
It seems irregular to remap that to some NVDA command, but to each her own I guess. But what was the command you assigned or wanted to assign it to, that disappeared after you deleted the gesture?

Luke

Suzy

Hi, Luke.

I'm sorry' if I wasn't clear. I began my first message with:
"I am using Windows 10 (with all automatic updates installed), NVDA 2019.2.1, and a Braille Edge display. The HIMS driver is installed."
I assumed it was clear that I was remapping commands for the Braille Edge.
There are several reasons for doing this.
1. I have a VarioUltra 20, which I use with NVDA and The Braille Extender add-on. I love the functionality Braille Extender adds to NVDA' and I desired the same with the Edge. The Edge is not supported by Braille Extender. But, the developer points out that changes can be made through the Input Gestures dialog.
2. My hands are small' and several of the default mappings for commands are awkward.
3. I want gestures to make more use of the Edge's eight function keys.
4. I want some gestures to more closely match their Vu counterparts in Braille Extender, so my memory is not taxed from display to display.
5. It is cold' dismal, and rainy here' so I have a perfect excuse for sitting down and learning.
I am not changing what Alt+F4 does. And Alt+F4 as a keystroke did not disappear.
However, when I located Alt+F4 among the many Emulated System Keyboard   Keys and removed the single gesture for it, Alt+4 was no longer in the list of keys to emulate. I had no idea how to retrieve it other than to obliterate whatever file I had altered in order to restore the defaults.
thus my attempts to uninstall and reinstall NVDA. Chris gave me instructions on how to do what I wanted. I followed them and remapped all the gestures I had created.
While I was at it, I examined the Gestures.ini file and manually created a gesture for F2.
If I ever make the mistake of removing all mappings for a gesture in the future, I know I can re-enter it manually, or ,i can install the backup of the Gestures.ini file ,i am keeping in another folder.
I hope this clarifies the matter.
Suzy

Luke Davis

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019, Suzy wrote:

I'm sorry' if I wasn't clear. I began my first message with:
No, I'm sorry, I did not initially pay close attention to this thread because I was a week behind in list mail and trying to catch up quickly. I'm sure you were perfectly clear.

However, when I located Alt+F4 among the many Emulated System Keyboard   Keys and removed the single gesture for it, Alt+4 was no longer in the list of keys
to emulate. I had no idea how to retrieve it other than to obliterate whatever file I had altered in order to restore the defaults.
I really don't think that should happen.
I am just wondering at how best to debug this.
I don't have a braille display, so can't do it locally.
But if it's a recurrent problem, it needs to be worked on, which means someone needs to file an issue for it.

Would you or someone be willing to replicate this process in a portable copy with debugging turned on, and then provide a copy of the log?

Luke

Suzy

I would gladly do what you asked right now, but I am preparing to go on vacation. My specific goal for the next few days is to be almost completely off the grid. So' guess who will have a week's worth of list mail to go through, when she returns.
I will do it, when I return, whether or not someone else has.
So long for now. I am sending this reply and shutting down.
Suzy

Well that does bring up a small thing, about off the grid, this is a small note in passing but its a book, forgotten who wrote it, but its a good read.

go on chat if you want more info.