regression with adobe flash

enes sarıbaş

hi,

The kill windowless flash script seems to no longer be working. Whenever I encounter a flash object, nvda anounces it as unavailable. Is there anything I can do about this?

Sharni-Lee Ward

I haven't been able to use the Adobe Flash plugin for years now. It
always crashes

if I load a page in Firefox that happens to have Flash content. I've
long since given up trying and am just happy that YouTube has an
alternate player.

If anyone could tell me why my flash player isn't working I'd also be
very grateful.

On 3/12/2016 1:56 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
hi,

The kill windowless flash script seems to no longer be working.
Whenever I encounter a flash object, nvda anounces it as unavailable.
Is there anything I can do about this?

Gene

I'm not sure but this is a very good example of why you should use more than one browser.  If you use Chrome for sites where you want to use Flash, you will probably have no problem.  Flash is built into Chrome so you don't have to install or update it.  It updates itself automatically within Chrome.

Sent: Friday, December 02, 2016 9:18 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] regression with adobe flash

I haven't been able to use the Adobe Flash plugin for years now. It
always crashes

if I load a page in Firefox that happens to have Flash content. I've
long since given up trying and am just happy that YouTube has an
alternate player.

If anyone could tell me why my flash player isn't working I'd also be
very grateful.
On 3/12/2016 1:56 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
> hi,
>
> The kill windowless flash script seems to no longer be working.
> Whenever I encounter a flash object, nvda anounces it as unavailable.
> Is there anything I can do about this?

enes sarıbaş

hi,

do you have actual proof of this? Since adobe flash, is the same flash used in chrome, I would asume  the same problems exist.  Also, chrome had accessibility issues last I remember.

Sent: Friday, December 02, 2016 9:18 PM

I haven't been able to use the Adobe Flash plugin for years now. It
always crashes

if I load a page in Firefox that happens to have Flash content. I've
long since given up trying and am just happy that YouTube has an
alternate player.

If anyone could tell me why my flash player isn't working I'd also be
very grateful.
On 3/12/2016 1:56 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
> hi,
>
> The kill windowless flash script seems to no longer be working.
> Whenever I encounter a flash object, nvda anounces it as unavailable.
> Is there anything I can do about this?

David Moore

Hi,

Exactly.

That is why I use Chrome, for those kind of web sites. IE is better for other sites, and even Edge is good with NVDA for sites. I just used the mobile site of facebook in Edge with NvDA 2016.4rc1, and it works better than using FB in IE. Mozilla is still better for web sites that are news sites. Many browsers for many web sites. All web sites are accessible with what I do with all four browsers, and knowing how to use each browser, and knowing how to navigate the web with NVDA and JAWS, if you can use even as a demo.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Friday, December 02, 2016 9:18 PM

I haven't been able to use the Adobe Flash plugin for years now. It
always crashes

if I load a page in Firefox that happens to have Flash content. I've
long since given up trying and am just happy that YouTube has an
alternate player.

If anyone could tell me why my flash player isn't working I'd also be
very grateful.
On 3/12/2016 1:56 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
> hi,
>
> The kill windowless flash script seems to no longer be working.
> Whenever I encounter a flash object, nvda anounces it as unavailable.
> Is there anything I can do about this?

Gene

Proof of what?  I think it's likely that Flash would run properly in Chrome on the machine.  I won't have proof unless it is tried.  We don't know if Flash is crashing because Flash is crashing or if Flash is crashing because of some sort of problem when it is run with Firefox.  Chrome isn't perfectly accessible but it is reasonably so and should serve quite well when used on sites with flash.  Chrome has quirks when working with settings and I'm not sure if it reads all structures on web pages as well as Firefox but when used on web pages, it is nearly as accessible, if not as accessible, as Chrome.  And for this very limited use, there may be no need to work with settings.

Of course, working on why flash is crashing with the browser currently being used could be investigated on a technical list of blind users or on a site like Bleeping Computer.  It would probably be faster and easier to just try Chrome.

Gene

Sent: Friday, December 02, 2016 10:10 PM

Sent: Friday, December 02, 2016 9:18 PM

I haven't been able to use the Adobe Flash plugin for years now. It
always crashes

if I load a page in Firefox that happens to have Flash content. I've
long since given up trying and am just happy that YouTube has an
alternate player.

If anyone could tell me why my flash player isn't working I'd also be
very grateful.
On 3/12/2016 1:56 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
> hi,
>
> The kill windowless flash script seems to no longer be working.
> Whenever I encounter a flash object, nvda anounces it as unavailable.
> Is there anything I can do about this?

enes sarıbaş

hi,

let me clerify a point. Flash isn't crashing. Rather, nvda is failing to access the object. A situation directly the fault of nvda.

Sent: Friday, December 02, 2016 10:10 PM

Sent: Friday, December 02, 2016 9:18 PM

I haven't been able to use the Adobe Flash plugin for years now. It
always crashes

if I load a page in Firefox that happens to have Flash content. I've
long since given up trying and am just happy that YouTube has an
alternate player.

If anyone could tell me why my flash player isn't working I'd also be
very grateful.
On 3/12/2016 1:56 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
> hi,
>
> The kill windowless flash script seems to no longer be working.
> Whenever I encounter a flash object, nvda anounces it as unavailable.
> Is there anything I can do about this?

Gene

I don't know what you are referring to.  I am referring to a different users's problem.  Sharni-Lee Ward said, and her message is quoted farther down in this message as part of the thread, that flash crashes when she runs it in Firefox.  Flash is attempting to run so this is not an access problem.

Sent: Friday, December 02, 2016 10:10 PM

Sent: Friday, December 02, 2016 9:18 PM

I haven't been able to use the Adobe Flash plugin for years now. It
always crashes

if I load a page in Firefox that happens to have Flash content. I've
long since given up trying and am just happy that YouTube has an
alternate player.

If anyone could tell me why my flash player isn't working I'd also be
very grateful.
On 3/12/2016 1:56 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
> hi,
>
> The kill windowless flash script seems to no longer be working.
> Whenever I encounter a flash object, nvda anounces it as unavailable.
> Is there anything I can do about this?

Sharni-Lee Ward

I think OP wants an answer to their problem. I will try this with Chrome later, and I apologise for hijacking the thread.

OP is having an issue I had previously that was fixed by "Kill Windowless Flash", which was a useful script but no longer seems to be working with current Firefox. NVDA doesn't let you into certain embedded objects if you don't have this script, instead saying "Embedded Object Unavailable." Is there a fix for this that doesn't involve the apparently defunct "Kill Windowless Flash" Greasemonkey script?

Sent: Friday, December 02, 2016 10:10 PM

Sent: Friday, December 02, 2016 9:18 PM

I haven't been able to use the Adobe Flash plugin for years now. It
always crashes

if I load a page in Firefox that happens to have Flash content. I've
long since given up trying and am just happy that YouTube has an
alternate player.

If anyone could tell me why my flash player isn't working I'd also be
very grateful.
On 3/12/2016 1:56 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
> hi,
>
> The kill windowless flash script seems to no longer be working.
> Whenever I encounter a flash object, nvda anounces it as unavailable.
> Is there anything I can do about this?

hi.
i recommend you not to use java and flash for there security problems.
i never dont install and use them and i did not see any problem for this.

On 12/3/2016 7:42 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

The problem with not using Java seems to be that sites like those which have radio s you can tune on them do seem to rely a lot on Java. I see no reason why they do of course, but one has to use sites as they are.As for flash. I believe that the latest flash plug in is no less safe than other code, given the recent issues in firefox itself. I guess I'm just pragmatic about things. if you are the first one to get something nasty through a piece of code then you are unlucky, but if you go around the web just cliking without thinking, then you deserve to catch some malware, sooner or later.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I haven't been able to use the Adobe Flash plugin for years now. It
always crashes

if I load a page in Firefox that happens to have Flash content. I've
long since given up trying and am just happy that YouTube has an
alternate player.

If anyone could tell me why my flash player isn't working I'd also be
very grateful.
On 3/12/2016 1:56 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
hi,

The kill windowless flash script seems to no longer be working.
Whenever I encounter a flash object, nvda anounces it as unavailable.
Is there anything I can do about this?

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Actually there is an issue and has been for some time in Firefox where it seems at least to nvda, that there is no flash embedded object on a page such as the bbc I player after answering the question that you have a tv licence. My feeling on this is that there is something ofdd in Firefox, but after a few refreshes it can be found.
Isthis the sort of thing you mean?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I haven't been able to use the Adobe Flash plugin for years now. It
always crashes

if I load a page in Firefox that happens to have Flash content. I've
long since given up trying and am just happy that YouTube has an
alternate player.

If anyone could tell me why my flash player isn't working I'd also be
very grateful.
On 3/12/2016 1:56 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
hi,

The kill windowless flash script seems to no longer be working.
Whenever I encounter a flash object, nvda anounces it as unavailable.
Is there anything I can do about this?

i studied many articles and also license agreement of flash and i am
sure that its not secure.

On 12/3/16, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
[...]

this is not an acceptable solution. Many websites still use flash.

On 12/3/2016 7:42 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Chrome works fairly well. I generally have no problems navigating web sites, and getting to the content I need. I did discover yesterday that my credit card site isn't as intuitive as I'd like, but even with that, it's still usable just fine. It's just a matter of knowing that sometimes tab works, and sometimes the arrows work to get you to things, but there's always going to be sites where that's true. Chrome is the only browser I use, and I've had very few issues with it.

On 12/3/2016 7:06 AM, Gene wrote:
I'm not sure but this is a very good example of why you should use more than one browser. If you use Chrome for sites where you want to use Flash, you will probably have no problem. Flash is built into Chrome so you don't have to install or update it. It updates itself automatically within Chrome.

You might try Internet Explorer in such cases.  I haven't investigated this to any extent but there were one or two instances where I experimented and I was able to use the Flash on a site with Internet Explorer where I couldn't in Firefox if I wasn't using the Windowless Flash plugin.Or you might try an older version of Firefox portable.  You won't be protected from new exploits if you use an older version of Firefox portable on those specific sites but depending on what the sites are, you still may not be taking much risk.  I'm not knowledgeable enough to give an authoritative answer to that question.  Other knowledgeable technical people may have ideas.

Sent: Friday, December 02, 2016 10:10 PM

Sent: Friday, December 02, 2016 9:18 PM

I haven't been able to use the Adobe Flash plugin for years now. It
always crashes

if I load a page in Firefox that happens to have Flash content. I've
long since given up trying and am just happy that YouTube has an
alternate player.

If anyone could tell me why my flash player isn't working I'd also be
very grateful.
On 3/12/2016 1:56 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
> hi,
>
> The kill windowless flash script seems to no longer be working.
> Whenever I encounter a flash object, nvda anounces it as unavailable.
> Is there anything I can do about this?

Gene

Many sites use Flash and don't use HTML5 yet.  The trend is to replace Flash with HTML5.  If you use a current version of Flash and a version of a browser that is receiving current security updates, with a little care and common sense, you will probably not be at a lot of risk.  At least, that's my opinion. There is a difference between being careful and letting fear paralyze you on the Internet.

As far as JAVA the program is concerned, not JAVA scripts is concerned, it's better not to have it active on the Internet unless you need it.  Most people don't need or use it.  But you don't have to remove it if you need it for a program on your computer but don't need it for anything on the Internet.  The security danger comes from having the JAVA plugin active in your browser when JAVA is installed.  You can remove or disable the JAVA plugin in your browser or browsers and JAVA won't be able to run from your browser.

As far as JAVA scripts are concerned, it is better to not allow them unless you are on a site where you need them.  I won't go into the ways to do that here.

This may be a discussion that should be taken to a list such as Tech Talk.

I would advise those interested in keeping up with security matters to find a good technology news site or technology     news aggregator or newsletter or blog from a reputable source.  It's all too easy to get incorrect or incomplete information and to be needlessly afraid about something.  That's not to say that there aren't legitimate reasons to be careful and some things to keep away from or not do.  But it is important to get good complete information about such things.

Gene

On 12/3/16, Sharni-Lee Ward <sharni-lee.ward@...> wrote:
> I think OP wants an answer to their problem. I will try this with Chrome
> later, and I apologise for hijacking the thread.
>

> OP is having an issue I had previously that was fixed by "Kill Windowless
> Flash", which was a useful script but no longer seems to be working with
> current Firefox. NVDA doesn't let you into certain embedded objects if you
> don't have this script, instead saying "Embedded Object Unavailable." Is
> there a fix for this that doesn't involve the apparently defunct "Kill
> Windowless Flash" Greasemonkey script?
>
> On 3/12/2016 4:41 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
>
> hi,
>
> let me clerify a point. Flash isn't crashing. Rather, nvda is failing to
> access the object. A situation directly the fault of nvda.
>
> On 12/3/2016 7:42 AM, Gene wrote:
> Proof of what?  I think it's likely that Flash would run properly in Chrome
> on the machine.  I won't have proof unless it is tried.  We don't know if
> Flash is crashing because Flash is crashing or if Flash is crashing because
> of some sort of problem when it is run with Firefox.  Chrome isn't perfectly
> accessible but it is reasonably so and should serve quite well when used on
> sites with flash.  Chrome has quirks when working with settings and I'm not
> sure if it reads all structures on web pages as well as Firefox but when
> used on web pages, it is nearly as accessible, if not as accessible, as
> Chrome.  And for this very limited use, there may be no need to work with
> settings.
>
> Of course, working on why flash is crashing with the browser currently being
> used could be investigated on a technical list of blind users or on a site
> like Bleeping Computer.  It would probably be faster and easier to just try
> Chrome.
>
> Gene

JAVA is not JAVA scripts.  I believe the poster was discussing JAVA, the program, but this is not clear.

Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2016 2:46 AM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
i recommend you not to use java and flash for there security problems.
i never dont install and use them and i did not see any problem for this.

On 12/3/16, Sharni-Lee Ward <sharni-lee.ward@...> wrote:
> I think OP wants an answer to their problem. I will try this with Chrome
> later, and I apologise for hijacking the thread.
>

> OP is having an issue I had previously that was fixed by "Kill Windowless
> Flash", which was a useful script but no longer seems to be working with
> current Firefox. NVDA doesn't let you into certain embedded objects if you
> don't have this script, instead saying "Embedded Object Unavailable." Is
> there a fix for this that doesn't involve the apparently defunct "Kill
> Windowless Flash" Greasemonkey script?
>
> On 3/12/2016 4:41 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
>
> hi,
>
> let me clerify a point. Flash isn't crashing. Rather, nvda is failing to
> access the object. A situation directly the fault of nvda.
>
> On 12/3/2016 7:42 AM, Gene wrote:
> Proof of what?  I think it's likely that Flash would run properly in
> Chrome
> on the machine.  I won't have proof unless it is tried.  We don't know if
> Flash is crashing because Flash is crashing or if Flash is crashing
> because
> of some sort of problem when it is run with Firefox.  Chrome isn't
> perfectly
> accessible but it is reasonably so and should serve quite well when used
> on
> sites with flash.  Chrome has quirks when working with settings and I'm
> not
> sure if it reads all structures on web pages as well as Firefox but when
> used on web pages, it is nearly as accessible, if not as accessible, as
> Chrome.  And for this very limited use, there may be no need to work with
> settings.
>
> Of course, working on why flash is crashing with the browser currently
> being
> used could be investigated on a technical list of blind users or on a site
> like Bleeping Computer.  It would probably be faster and easier to just
> try
> Chrome.
>
> Gene

Flash may not be as secure as it should be.  There are many times when Flash is updated, even out of cycle, to correct some problem.  But license agreements tell you nothing.  Every license agreement has language in it that tries to protect the program owner from liability.  The nature and extent of such language tells us nothing about security, just how good the lawyers may be who wrote the agreement.

It's not just a question of how insecure Flash may be.  I doubt most people will have problems if they keep their browsers current, keep Flash current, use good antimalware protection, and try not to use sites that have a higher probability of not being safe from a security standpoint.  Gene

i studied many articles and also license agreement of flash and i am
sure that its not secure.

> Actually there is an issue and has been for some time in Firefox where it
> seems at least to nvda, that there is no flash embedded object on a page
> such as the bbc I player after  answering the question that you have a tv
> licence. My feeling on this is that there is something ofdd in Firefox, but
>
> after a few refreshes it can be found.
>  Isthis the sort of thing you mean?
>  Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal email to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.

Brice Mijares

I read some where last week where FX will prevent adobe flash from working by summer of 2017.