how to use mozilla thunderbird with nvda?

hello every one.
i tried mozilla thunderbird for the second time without any success.
i could not do anything with it.
could you please send me a link which contains complete tutorial in
using thunderbird with nvda?
thanks extremely for your help and God bless you all.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Ron Canazzi

Hello:

Thunderbird is pretty straight forward. Once you install the program, you must set up your account. By default, after the first installation, this screen comes up--where you enter your e-mail address, name, server settings and so on. If for some reason, it does not come up after the first installation, then you can find settings for the e-mail account under the tools menu (alt +
T) and the accounting settings (press S after alt + T) item.

Once the account settings screen comes up, tab once to the account settings button and press space bar. A context menu opens and one of the choice is 'add e-mail account.' If you choose this item, a standard mail configuration screen comes up and you fill in your information.

Now here are a few settings that I prefer. Others may have different opinions. I came from the Outlook Express experience in earlier versions of Windows, so I set my view settings as follows.

Under the tool bars menu under view, I have menu bar and status bar checked.

Under the layout sub menu item under view, I have the folder pain checked and the classic view item checked. I do not have the message pain checked. This causes problems with many screen reader users. If this gets checked by accident, it toggles on and off with the press of the function Key 8 on your keyboard.

Under the folder sub menu item under view, I have the all item checked--nothing else.

Under the today pane, I have none checked--nothing else. This feature is nice for sighted people, but it can cause issues for screen readers.

The sort by item is up to you. I have date and ascending order checked which places the most recent messages at the bottom of the list in each folder.

The thread sub menu item is also personal preference but I have all checked and then I use the command letter N when in a folder with no open messages to unsort to read each message separately so they won't open all at once and the letter T for setting them back to threaded so I can do mass deletions.

Under the headers sub menu item, I have normal checked. This avoids the full headers which take up a massive amount of space with gibberish most people don't understand.

Under the message body as item, I have simple HTML which suffices for most purposes.

The display attachments inline should be unchecked--otherwise files you attach which are binary or music will create a lot of gibberish that no one can read.

Now here are a few shortcut and hotkeys to get you started. Many of them are similar to Outlook Express with a few notable exceptions.

To bring up the address book where you can create e-mail address and properly send e-mail, the keystroke is control+ shift + B. From the address book, check the various sub menus for how to create new entries (control + N) and so on.

To start a new message from scratch without using the address book, the keystroke is Control + N.

To reply to a message you have received the keystroke is Control + R. If you wish to respond to everyone in the headers the keystroke is control + shift + R.

Here's one odd one. To forward a message, press control + L. This differs from most other Microsoft clients which use Control +

F.

Control + F is used either to find messages in a folder with no open messages, or to find text in an open message.

To attach a file, from an open message you are writing, press control + shift + A. This opens a browse for folder/file dialogue where you can move to the default folder for attachments.

Once you have completed writing a message, you can either configure the message to be sent immediately under your account settings or you can use the keystroke control + enter to send the message. If send immediately is not configured, you will receive a prompt to send the message after pressing control + enter to whcih you respond yes.

As far as navigation from folder to folder, the easiest way to do this in my opinion is to use the Function key 6 (F6) keystroke that will move ou from the list of messages, to the tabs to the folder list. For example, if you are in the list of messages and you press F6, you should go to the folder list. One important thing to remember is that first letter navigation within the folder list is not possible for some reason. Unlike in Outlook Express, you must use up and down arrow keys to move from one folder to another in the tree view and then press tab once to move to the list of messages in each folder. That's one big drawback.

For any more settings issues, use the tools menu alt + T and choose options. There are a bunch of settings for everything from signatures to just how return receipts are handled. Explore these settings and make preferred choices.

As with any new program, check under the various menus--both from the main inbox folder and from wsithin a new message or open message to get further tips and tricks as to how to use the program.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Ron Canazzi

Hi Again,

I forgot a few important items.

You may be having confusion because of the start page issue. Under tools/options/general, uncheck the box that says 'show the start page in the message area.' This way, when you launch Thunderbird, you will go directly to your list of folder/messages.

If you receive a message with an attachment, with the message open, press alt + M for the message item and H for the attachments item. You will then see a bunch of choices including open (the name of the file attachment) open all, save all and so on.

You can also use tab and shift tab to get to the attachments and use the right click (context menu) item, but this is a bit cumbersome, so i prefer the former method.

Also, I find the following to work well--though a bit cumbersome when trying to place addresses in various of the CC/BCC/To fields.

If you open a new message and back tab 8 times, you are placed in the list of addresses in your default or main address book. If you want to do a mass mailing, thenyou can arrow down or use first letter navigation (which works for the address book, and select address with the control + space bar method and then press the following keystrokes to place large numbers of addresses into the various fields.

alt + A for To field

alt + C for CC field

alt + B for BCC field.

If you wish to place various addresses in multiple field, each time you place them there, you will have to back tab again until you hear 'contacts, tree view.' This will place you back into the list of addresses to continue choosing separate fields until you have completed your list of mass addresses. It is a bit cumbersome, but unless someone else has figured out a better way, it is better than going directly from the address book and then moving around the list and right clicking and tghen choosing write and then moving the addresses around from field to field to that you have some in the to field, some in the cc field and some in the bcc field.

I hope this meandering list of commands over the course of two messages helps someone some way.

On 12/4/2016 6:10 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

hi,
thanks extremely for your detailed and great information!
i should practice them to learn them!
when i opened one message, my firefox opened it instead of my thunderbird!
how to open them with thunderbird and set it to be easy as firefox?
i tried desabling the preference under general and unfortunately
thunderbird stors all tabs and messages which i opened previously.
besides, whats the best version in simplicity and accessibility easy
to use with nvda?
whats the best versions in this regard?
is there any advance settings that i should change like advance
settings in firefox about:config
God bless you and his infinite mercy i pray for you.

On 12/4/16, Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> wrote:
[...]

OK, I never had this issue where Firefox is opening e-mail messages. Try the following.

Press alt + T for tools followed by O for options.

From the tree view arrow down to advanced settings.

tab once and make sure you are in the general tab.

then press the tab key until you hear 'always check to see if Thunderbird is the default program for e-mails. If you check this, when you run Thunderbird, you should be prompted if Thunderbird is not the default program. When you receive the prompt, then choose 'set as default.' See if this works.

On 12/4/2016 7:08 AM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
[...]

Also, I forgot, I am using NVDA latest version 2016.3 for Thunderbird. It works just fine.

[...]

i dont know the problem.
when i wanted to use my email with thunderbird, i think some option is
check by default.
unfortunately all my emails downloaded to my computer automaticly and
for the limitation of internet charge hear, i waisted around one gb of
my internet charge!
i only wanted to work with it to learn it, but downloading all emails
automaticly is very terrible!

[...]

Hi Nasrin,

If you are so limited by your ISP regulation on bandwidth, then I suggest you not use any pop3 or IMAP program like Thunderbird or Outlook. Keep using Firefox or the browser of your choice to view your e-mail.

I hope bandwidth limitations never get that tight in the US, but with the incoming administration and the almost certainty that 'net neutrality' will end, who knows.

I really like my personal client and pop3/IMAP approach.

On 12/7/2016 7:01 AM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
[...]

When using e-mail programs and POP3 accounts, they will automatically download all mail when you first set up your account, unless you have set the program not to do so.  Also, if you are using a POP3 account, if you set the program not to automatically download mail, when you issue the download mail command, they will download all mail.  You can't download individual messages using a POP3 account.  You can view mail without downloading it or at least by downloading only the messages you want to read, I'm not sure which, using a IMAP account.  If you are going to try various e-mail programs, you should, if your e-mail provider allows, set up an IMAP account.

> i dont know the problem.
> when i wanted to use my email with thunderbird, i think some option is
> check by default.
> unfortunately all my emails downloaded to my computer automaticly and
> for the limitation of internet charge hear, i waisted around one gb of
> my internet charge!
> i only wanted to work with it to learn it, but downloading all emails
> automaticly is very terrible!
>
> On 12/4/16, Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> wrote:
>> Also, I forgot, I am using NVDA latest version 2016.3 for Thunderbird.
>> It works just fine.
>>

>> On 12/4/2016 7:08 AM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
>>> hi,
>>> thanks extremely for your detailed and great information!
>>> i should practice them to learn them!
>>> when i opened one message, my firefox opened it instead of my
>>> thunderbird!
>>> how to open them with thunderbird and set it to be easy as firefox?
>>> i tried desabling the preference under general and unfortunately
>>> thunderbird stors all tabs and messages which i opened previously.
>>> besides, whats the best version in simplicity and accessibility easy
>>> to use with nvda?
>>> whats the best versions in this regard?
>>> is there any advance settings that i should change like advance
>>> settings in firefox about:config
>>> God bless you and his infinite mercy i pray for you.

>> --
>> They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
>> They ask: "How Happy are You?"
>> I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

thanks extremely for your help.
is this problem for all thunderbird versions and how to prevent it?
is there any setting to use thunderbird like my gmail in firefox
without losing my internet charge automaticly?

On 12/7/16, Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> wrote:
[...]

gene, thanks extremely for your help!
how can i set thunderbird not to download all emails automaticly?
and whats the setting in it by default? POP3 or emap?

On 12/7/16, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:
[...]

if i set it to emap, can i use it like my firefox browser without any
waisting of my internet charge?

[...]

I don't use IMAP.  Someone else will have to answer questions about it.

Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 7:34 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] how to use mozilla thunderbird with nvda?

gene, thanks extremely for your help!
how can i set thunderbird not to download all emails automaticly?
and whats the setting in it by default? POP3 or emap?

On 12/7/16, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:
> thanks extremely for your help.
> is this problem for all thunderbird versions and how to prevent it?
> is there any setting to use thunderbird like my gmail in firefox
> without losing my internet charge automaticly?
>
> On 12/7/16, Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> wrote:
>> Hi Nasrin,
>>

>> If you are so limited by your ISP regulation on bandwidth, then I
>> suggest you not use any pop3 or IMAP program like Thunderbird or
>> Outlook.  Keep using Firefox or the browser of your choice to view your
>> e-mail.
>>

>> I hope bandwidth limitations never get that tight in the US, but with
>> the incoming administration and the almost certainty that 'net
>> neutrality' will end, who knows.
>>

>> I really like my personal client and pop3/IMAP approach.
>>

>> On 12/7/2016 7:01 AM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
>>> i dont know the problem.
>>> when i wanted to use my email with thunderbird, i think some option is
>>> check by default.
>>> unfortunately all my emails downloaded to my computer automaticly and
>>> for the limitation of internet charge hear, i waisted around one gb of
>>> my internet charge!
>>> i only wanted to work with it to learn it, but downloading all emails
>>> automaticly is very terrible!

>> --
>> They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
>> They ask: "How Happy are You?"
>> I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"
>>

> --
> holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
> in the very authentic narration is:
> al-islam.org

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

in which version of thunderbird automatic download of emails is not
enabled by default to use it like my firefox?

On 12/7/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

IMAP doesn't automatically download mail.  IMAP is different from POP3 in how it handles messages.  I'll let those who know more about it discuss it further.  I could more or less explain the basics but those who know more can give you a better picture and I might make some minor technical mistakes.

Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 8:00 AM

On 12/7/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> I don't use IMAP.  Someone else will have to answer questions about it.
>
> Gene

how can i set thunderbird to use emap instead of POP?

On 12/7/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

Jeffrey Shockley

Hello,

When you first set up Thunderbird and configure your accounts, it chooses what is best most of the time. For example, it chooses IMAP for Gmail. However, if everything is already set up, you can go into tools and accounts and adjust your settings for that account.

Hope this helps,

Jeffrey

On 12/7/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

hello. if i set it to emap, realy can i use it without any waisting
of my internet charge?
please say the other settings that i should do in this regard.
and also i realy wish that know the best and most accessible version
of thunderbird.

+
[...]

One chooses IMAP versus POP access when setting up the account in any e-mail client program.  You must be certain, of course, that your e-mail provider supports IMAP access.  These days most do, but there are some very surprising exceptions among major ISPs, e.g., Verizon, which has been clinging to POP access only.

The easiest, and oversimplified, way to discuss the difference between download behavior between IMAP and POP is that POP downloads your messages in their entirety to your device and then either immediately deletes them off the server or will do so after some set period of time passes.  Messages do not remain on a POP server.

IMAP downloads message headers to your e-mail client so that you can see your inbox list, but does not retrieve the message body unless you open a message to read it, at which time a copy is downloaded (and will be maintained locally for some period of time, but will eventually be removed after it has not been accessed locally for some period of time since it can always be re-retrieved at a later date).  I liked the description, "think of it as an inbox in the cloud."  This architecture allows you to have access to precisely the same messages, showing the same read or unread states, across multiple devices since all of the information regarding message states is also kept on the IMAP server.

See the following for more extensive, yet "for the non-tech-geek" explanations about the differences between POP and IMAP:

https://answers.stanford.edu/solution/how-does-imap-differ-pop - this article makes reference to the creation of folders (and filters to organize mail into them) on the server side

http://whatismyipaddress.com/imap

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/e-mail-messaging/email4.htm - which is a much longer article on all aspects of e-mail in general, this lands you in the middle of it

For anyone who needs access to their e-mail messages on different devices and at different locations (and who's not using a web-based interface in all of those places) pretty much must use IMAP.   No matter how carefully POP is set up such that some messages are retained for download elsewhere, it all depends on the timing of the downloads.  Unless you're consistently accessing all of your e-mail on all of your devices within the "don't delete from the server" period you'll end up missing a message in one place that was downloaded in another.  IMAP came about to meet a need for convenient and consistent access to the same e-mail messages in different locations, and keeping all of those locations in sync with each other.

    ~ Lauren Bacall

Nasrin,

           Your e-mail service provider should be able to provide you with the server names and port numbers for the IMAP and SMTP servers you need to use.  If it is a major provider it's entirely possible that Thunderbird will have this information in the database that ships with it where just entering your e-mail address and password during account setup will be enough.  If that isn't there is no way any of us can guess at the correct values without knowing who the service provider is and doing a web search to find the configuration information for that provider.

            All versions of Thunderbird in recent years have been quite accessible.  Get the latest one that will run on your machine.  E-mail clients are constantly getting patches for security reasons and one should never use an older version of any software of this type than one has to.  If the current version supports Win XP then download that.   Here's the Thunderbird download page for all of the versions, and language localizations, that exist:  https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/all/

    ~ Lauren Bacall