Topics

Is any release prior to the latest stable release, and the next RC release, officially supported? #NVDARelease

The subject pretty much asks it all.

In topic after topic I see people saying that they're using old, often really old, versions of NVDA.  That is entirely their choice, and I'm not questioning that.

What I'd like to know is how many versions, if any, other than the latest stable release and the RC releases, are "officially" supported by NVAccess.

Knowing how much change occurs as releases roll out over time I know it's impossible to keep supporting prior releases in perpetuity or anything close to it.  I also know that it generally makes no sense to try to replicate a bug in a release different than the one it's been detected in except as an effort to determine if it is a "carry forward" that was previously undetected versus newly introduced.

It's almost impossible to know "what's what" unless individuals using NVDA are all using the latest stable version so far as issue reporting goes.  That's why, particularly for open-source software, I make it a habit to religiously upgrade to the latest release whether I need the latest "bells and whistles" or not.  Unless there is some really buggy release (and I'm talking generally, not NVDA in particular) it just makes everyone's lives much easier.

    ~ Lauren Bacall

Quentin Christensen

Hi Brian,

Essentially only the latest stable (and currently as you noted, RC) versions of NVDA are supported, in that if we fix a bug, that fix will only go into a new build.

Ideally, if someone is having a problem and finds that reverting to an earlier build resolves the issue, we'd very much prefer they communicate that to us via a GitHub issue, or at least here on the list or to me personally so that we can endeavour to resolve it.  The current version should still work at least as far back as Windows XP (If anyone is using Windows 98 or earlier, I'd be curious to hear your experiences with NVDA just for my own interest if nothing else).

Perhaps this thread might be a good place for anyone who is using a version of NVDA prior to 2016.3, to share why that is? I can ensure that any issues are recorded on GitHub, but I'd also be able to compile a list that I can take back to Mick and Jamie and say "these are issues that are currently keeping users on old versions of NVDA".

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene

I mainly use an old version because I don't use new NVDA features, as I said before.  But also, I prefer the old way of using what was called Flat Review.  I prefer always being in screen review when I activate review mode in the old version and the automatic return to object navigation when I switch to another window.  I could get used to the new system but since I don't need to, I don't bother.

Also, I don't think there is any way to import the speech dictionaries other then to actually copy and paste the files.  I could do that easily enough but I don't since I have no need.  But I am reminded of something regarding the dictionaries.  I think there should be an export and an import dictionaries item in the dictionary interface itself.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, December 04, 2016 5:55 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Is any release prior to the latest stable release, and the next RC release, officially supported? #NVDARelease

[...]

hi quentin.
i decided to stay on 2015.3 for always because in the latest versions
nvda has problems with potplayer and when i press alt+f4 nvda when i
press start menu says unknown and its a big issue for me.
because i only use potplayer and when i open files, most of times, i
should use alt+control+n to revert nvda to its normal working.
15.3 until 16.2 were more stable for me.
but since 16.2 and 3, sometimes nvda says nothing or becomes completely silent.
in this case, i afraid of maybe my system is hacked or my windows has
problems or not working properly.

github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues.6513its for potplayer and some others
players and for the problem in espeak new version with farsi
punctuations
github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/6514

but i realy love the new features of nvda including selection of
documents and impprovements in using firefox and now, i use 16.3
could you please solve the problem which i mentioned in 16.4 to use it
without any issues?
thanks extremely quentin.
do you have skype account for further details and contact about
different subjects?

On 12/5/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete. If
you’re alive, it isn’t.

~ Lauren Bacall

--

Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Quentin Christensen

Hi Nasrin,

Is Potplayer freely available?  If so, do you have a URL please and I will download and test it myself as well.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On 12/5/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> I mainly use an old version because I don't use new NVDA features, as I said
> before.  But also, I prefer the old way of using what was called Flat
> Review.  I prefer always being in screen review when I activate review mode
> in the old version and the automatic return to object navigation when I
> switch to another window.  I could get used to the new system but since I
> don't need to, I don't bother.
>
> Also, I don't think there is any way to import the speech dictionaries other
> then to actually copy and paste the files.  I could do that easily enough
> but I don't since I have no need.  But I am reminded of something regarding
> the dictionaries.  I think there should be an export and an import
> dictionaries item in the dictionary interface itself.
>
> Gene

quentin,
thanks extremely for your kindness and help!
as i mentioned in the github, someone told that the problem persists
on windows 7 using windows media player.
but for me that only use potplayer is a very big issue.
many websites rated potplayer as the best players!
its the perfected version of kmplayer without advertisements of km.
it supports many language in its interface and also many format of
audio and video files with great quality.
if nvda becomes unresponsive when openning and closing one file, when
you try many files this problem eventually happen with the next files.
here you are the link of downloading 32 version which works both on 32
and 64 bit windows.

the github requested me log file which i provided and wanted second
file which i was not familiar with temp files and could not send it.
here you are the link hope you use it and enjoy it!
http://daumpotplayer.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/PotPlayerSetup.exe

its completely free and i provided the link from the program company.

wrote:

[...]

Jacob Kruger

Quentin, HYG:

https://potplayer.daum.net/

But, gave it a quick test run, and, my guess is that it doesn't offer much in t4erms of accessibility, etc. - no menu suystems that could activate using alt + key combo's, etc., so not sure it would be something I would want to work with as such.

stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

Hi Nasrin,

On 12/5/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> I mainly use an old version because I don't use new NVDA features, as I said
> before.  But also, I prefer the old way of using what was called Flat
> Review.  I prefer always being in screen review when I activate review mode
> in the old version and the automatic return to object navigation when I
> switch to another window.  I could get used to the new system but since I
> don't need to, I don't bother.
>
> Also, I don't think there is any way to import the speech dictionaries other
> then to actually copy and paste the files.  I could do that easily enough
> but I don't since I have no need.  But I am reminded of something regarding
> the dictionaries.  I think there should be an export and an import
> dictionaries item in the dictionary interface itself.
>
> Gene

potplayer is a very long time thats completely accessible!
whats the different between my link and yours?
i did not test the second link but the first link which i always use,
is the website of the programmers and owners of the softwares.
potplayer preference was not accessible in its old versions via keyboard.
but now, its accessibility is realy great and even now, they put one
option for accessibility!

Hi Nasrin,

<http://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues.6513its> for potplayer and
<http://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/6514>

<http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>

al-islam.org <http://al-islam.org>

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
Direct: +61 413 904 383
Twitter: @NVAccess
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Jacob Kruger

I had previously tried out 64 bit version, but, now went and downloaded the version you posted the link to, and, it seems pretty much the same to me, whether I use the current release candidate for NVDA 2016.4, or if I roll back to a portable copy of NVDA 2016.2?

What mean is interface seems pretty much the same to me, and, when now invoked context menu, brought up preferences dialogue, and under accessibility, among scanning through settings, turned on UIA (user interface automation), it did seem to work fine with both versions of NVDA, but, this was my first time ever really using it, so not sure what part of interface is an issue on your side, while working with latest versions of NVDA?

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

Hi Nasrin,

wrote:
> I mainly use an old version because I don't use new NVDA
features, as I said
> before. But also, I prefer the old way of using what was called
Flat
> Review. I prefer always being in screen review when I activate
review mode
> in the old version and the automatic return to object navigation
when I
> switch to another window. I could get used to the new system
but since I
> don't need to, I don't bother.
>
> Also, I don't think there is any way to import the speech
dictionaries other
> then to actually copy and paste the files. I could do that
easily enough
> but I don't since I have no need. But I am reminded of
something regarding
> the dictionaries. I think there should be an export and an import
> dictionaries item in the dictionary interface itself.
>
> Gene

the problem is crashing of nvda after playing files and pressing alt+f4
nvda becomes not responding and for example: when i enter on start
botton, nvda says only unknown and not the options in start menu!
i did not try 64 bit, but i press application key to go to the menus
and also preferences.

Hi Nasrin,

wrote:
> I mainly use an old version because I don't use new NVDA
features, as I said
> before. But also, I prefer the old way of using what was called
Flat
> Review. I prefer always being in screen review when I activate
review mode
> in the old version and the automatic return to object navigation
when I
> switch to another window. I could get used to the new system
but since I
> don't need to, I don't bother.
>
> Also, I don't think there is any way to import the speech
dictionaries other
> then to actually copy and paste the files. I could do that
easily enough
> but I don't since I have no need. But I am reminded of
something regarding
> the dictionaries. I think there should be an export and an
import
> dictionaries item in the dictionary interface itself.
>
> Gene

Just killed the app with alt+f4, while it was busy playing a track, and, NVDA is still cooperating/working fine here, but, might be to do with something else, like OS version, or something?

What mean is it doesn't seem to be acting like that at all here on my side.

And, I even tried making sure NVDA and it were using same TTS engine/voice, just in case it could then cause hassles, but, seemed fine.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

Hi Nasrin,

wrote:
> I mainly use an old version because I don't use new NVDA
features, as I said
> before. But also, I prefer the old way of using what was called
Flat
> Review. I prefer always being in screen review when I activate
review mode
> in the old version and the automatic return to object navigation
when I
> switch to another window. I could get used to the new system
but since I
> don't need to, I don't bother.
>
> Also, I don't think there is any way to import the speech
dictionaries other
> then to actually copy and paste the files. I could do that
easily enough
> but I don't since I have no need. But I am reminded of
something regarding
> the dictionaries. I think there should be an export and an
import
> dictionaries item in the dictionary interface itself.
>
> Gene

There are other players that I would think are as good or better than Potplayer.  Winamp, though it hasn't been upgraded by the developers for quite some time, is still a very convenient player to use.  VCL Player is liked by a lot of people.  I've hardly used it but a lot of blind people like it.  there are others as well.

When using software, if something doesn't work well or is not properly accessible, no matter how much sighted people rave about it, there are often as good or almost as good or better programs that are used by blind people that do the same things or more things better.  Sighted people may think PotPlayer is wonderful.  I doubt it is any better than some other players available that are popular among blind people.  In cases where a program isn't satisfactory, asking for alternatives is a very good idea.  I suspect the reason I haven't heard of PotPlayer until now is because it is very unsatisfactory from a blind access point of view.

Sent: Monday, December 05, 2016 2:57 AM

> [...]

>> said
>> > before.  But also, I prefer the old way of using what was called Flat
>> > Review.  I prefer always being in screen review when I activate review
>> mode
>> > in the old version and the automatic return to object navigation when I
>> > switch to another window.  I could get used to the new system but since
>> > don't need to, I don't bother.
>> >
>> > Also, I don't think there is any way to import the speech dictionaries
>> other
>> > then to actually copy and paste the files.  I could do that easily
>> > enough
>> > but I don't since I have no need.  But I am reminded of something
>> regarding
>> > the dictionaries.  I think there should be an export and an import
>> > dictionaries item in the dictionary interface itself.

Well, maybe it's a good player, then.  But whatever problems it may have, if it doesn't work well on your system, trying another player would be a good idea.  We don't know if the problems you are having with the player have anything to do with NVDA.  To find out, you could test it with another screen-reader such as a JAWS demo or perhaps with Narrator.  But at this point, we don't know if NVDA is causing the problem.  There are enough other players available that are very well liked by blind people that if this player doesn't work well for whatever reason on your machine, there are plenty of alternatives.

Sent: Monday, December 05, 2016 5:37 AM

> [...]

>>     Flat
>>     > Review.  I prefer always being in screen review when I activate
>>     review mode
>>     > in the old version and the automatic return to object navigation
>>     when I
>>     > switch to another window.  I could get used to the new system
>>     but since I
>>     > don't need to, I don't bother.
>>     >
>>     > Also, I don't think there is any way to import the speech
>>     dictionaries other
>>     > then to actually copy and paste the files.  I could do that
>>     easily enough
>>     > but I don't since I have no need.  But I am reminded of
>>     something regarding
>>     > the dictionaries.  I think there should be an export and an import
>>     > dictionaries item in the dictionary interface itself.

Here is a link to a page that has a lot of information about players.
I'm not sure how old the page is but from the little I looked at, it appears the information is still current or reasonably so.  Looking through the list of players, you will find useful information.  For example, regarding VLC Player, you are directed to a page with information about how to use the player as a blind user.

I want to make clear that I am not saying that people shouldn't report and discuss problems with players they like.  My point is that if people want to do so, that's fine but that in an area like players where there are a lot of choices, it often makes more sense to switch to another player.  We don't know, in this case, whether the problems are caused by some anomoly on your system, your version of Windows, or something else I may not have thought of.  The player appears to me to be little known or used among blind people.  I said in a previous message that that might be because it isn't accessible.  Evidently, the program is accessible or reasonably so.  So it appears I was wrong about that.  But it may be hard to get much user verification or lack of verification as to whether your problems are more general or specific to your specific machine for some reason.

In short, in areas where a lot of choice exists, there is nothing wrong with reporting a problem.  But whether you do or not, it often is a much more efficient solution to switch to another just as satisfactory program.

Sent: Monday, December 05, 2016 5:37 AM

> [...]

>>     Flat
>>     > Review.  I prefer always being in screen review when I activate
>>     review mode
>>     > in the old version and the automatic return to object navigation
>>     when I
>>     > switch to another window.  I could get used to the new system
>>     but since I
>>     > don't need to, I don't bother.
>>     >
>>     > Also, I don't think there is any way to import the speech
>>     dictionaries other
>>     > then to actually copy and paste the files.  I could do that
>>     easily enough
>>     > but I don't since I have no need.  But I am reminded of
>>     something regarding
>>     > the dictionaries.  I think there should be an export and an import
>>     > dictionaries item in the dictionary interface itself.

i tried many players and was not satisfied with any of them except potplayer!
i tried more than 30 players and potplayer is the best!
many websites confirm this.
did you try to see nvda is unresponsive when you close files with potplayer?
i wish that my problem becomes solved at least in nvda 2016.4
did you read my issue 6513 on github?

Hi Nasrin,

wrote:
> I mainly use an old version because I don't use new NVDA
features, as I said
> before. But also, I prefer the old way of using what was called
Flat
> Review. I prefer always being in screen review when I activate
review mode
> in the old version and the automatic return to object navigation
when I
> switch to another window. I could get used to the new system
but since I
> don't need to, I don't bother.
>
> Also, I don't think there is any way to import the speech
dictionaries other
> then to actually copy and paste the files. I could do that
easily enough
> but I don't since I have no need. But I am reminded of
something regarding
> the dictionaries. I think there should be an export and an import
> dictionaries item in the dictionary interface itself.
>
> Gene

I saw your description of your problem here just a bit ago.  As I said, we don't know if this is an issue that is generally a problem or just on your machine for some reason.  We may or may not get enough reports from other users to determine that.

As far as your dissatisfaction with other players is concerned, discussing what you particularly like about PotPlayer may be useful.  It may allow you to get information from others about other players that do what you want, assuming such players are accessible.  Given the wide variety of players, I wouldn't be surprised if there are.

Sent: Monday, December 05, 2016 8:49 AM

On 12/5/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> Well, maybe it's a good player, then.  But whatever problems it may have, if
> it doesn't work well on your system, trying another player would be a good
> idea.  We don't know if the problems you are having with the player have
> anything to do with NVDA.  To find out, you could test it with another
> screen-reader such as a JAWS demo or perhaps with Narrator.  But at this
> point, we don't know if NVDA is causing the problem.  There are enough other
> players available that are very well liked by blind people that if this
> player doesn't work well for whatever reason on your machine, there are
> plenty of alternatives.
>
> Gene

VLC is accessible. It can do everything, and then some.

Sent: Monday, December 05, 2016 8:49 AM

On 12/5/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> Well, maybe it's a good player, then.  But whatever problems it may have, if
> it doesn't work well on your system, trying another player would be a good
> idea.  We don't know if the problems you are having with the player have
> anything to do with NVDA.  To find out, you could test it with another
> screen-reader such as a JAWS demo or perhaps with Narrator.  But at this
> point, we don't know if NVDA is causing the problem.  There are enough other
> players available that are very well liked by blind people that if this
> player doesn't work well for whatever reason on your machine, there are
> plenty of alternatives.
>
> Gene

did you try potplayer to see that do you observe my problem too?
i realy wish thats fixed.
also, i am waiting for the comment of quentin in this regard.
did you test it quentin to see the result?

Hi Nasrin,

<mailto:gsasner@...>>

<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org> <http://www.nvaccess.org/>
Twitter: @NVAccess

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Judging by the fact that very few blind people seem to be using this player, one suspects there are access issues with it. Normally any good accessible player is very popular and mentioned everywhere. Winamp I use because it, well works. I find vlc just a little bit clunky but works OK and has perhaps more inbuilt codecs than most.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Hi Nasrin,

<mailto:@britechguy>> wrote:

> [...]
> you’re alive, it isn’t.
>
> ~ Lauren Bacall

> --
>
> Quentin Christensen
> Training Material Developer
> Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now
available:
> http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
>

> Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
> Direct: +61 413 904 383 <tel:%2B61%20413%20904%20383>
> www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org>
<http://www.nvaccess.org>
<http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>
> Twitter: @NVAccess

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org <http://al-islam.org>

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>

I was curious and I tried it.  I don't know how this varies from version to version.  I assume I downloaded the latest version.  I used the program download page.  this version was quite inaccessible, at least out of the box.  No menus were opened with the alt key.  The screen could not be read, at least not by the old version of NVDA I tested it with.  Neither screen review keys nor flat review nor moving by object navigation nor NVDA key b read the screen.  I experimented and opened a file and caused it to play.  Guess what happened?  When I stopped play, my whole system froze.  I had to reboot.  I tried again and the same thing happened.  I tested with Windows XP service pack 3.  I don't know how the player runs on later versions of Windows but on my system, that is what happened.

Also, the program automatically associated itself with at least mp3 files.  I didn't test others.  It probably made itself the default player for everything it could play.  Either it didn't give me an option about this or the option wasn't read when it was presented.

You said that NVDA freezes.  Was it NVDA or your entire system.  Loss of speech in and of itself doesn't mean NVDA froze.  Did you have to reboot?

Of course, these are just my experiences and others may have different experiences.  But based on what you report and on my experiences with this one machine, I am skeptical that the program runs regularly in XP.

Sent: Monday, December 05, 2016 9:19 AM