From: Gene
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2016 2:37 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Is any release prior to the latest stable release, and the next RC release, officially supported? #NVDARelease

Also, what version of the player are you using?  My version had no menus and the screen was not readable.  If you are using an older version, accessibility may have changed.  If you are using a newer version, accessibility may have changed as well. I assumed I was using the latest version because I downloaded it from the site.  but your very different description of the program interface raises the question of which version you are using.  My version is 1.6.6385619.7.

Also, you said you tried various players and didn't like them.  if you explain why, you might find there are ways around what you didn't like or that you didn't know some commands that would make the programs much more friendly.  Even the positive review I read, which talked about many features of the program the reviewer liked, discussed features that would only be of interest to sighted users such as controling how subtitles are displayed and other visual features of the program.  The reviewer compared the program to VLC player, saying it did some things better but saying it was similar to VLC Player.  It is seldom the case that, in an area like this, with such a wide variety of programs that there is only one satisfactory program.

Also, there may be ways of getting more out of a program than you are aware of.  For example, there is an add on for Winamp available for use with NVDA which provides more functionality than is available without the program.

> gene.
> thanks so much for helping me to test the program.
> i dont have any screen reader except nvda to test.
> me too, use windows xp service pack 3
> you dont need to use nvda cursors to intract with potplayer menus.
> you should only press the application keys and you can access to all
> menus and options by normal arrow keys.
> only nvda freezes and says nothing in the windows except unknown.
> i should restart nvda to work as normal.
>
> On 12/5/16, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
>> Well, this thread has taken an interesting turn that I hadn't ever
>> anticipated (and, to quote Seinfeld, "not that there's anything wrong with
>> that.")
>>
>> So I'll use this to get back on my soapbox about when anyone encounters an
>> issue with any software or combination of software:
>>
>> * if you cannot give steps necessary to replicate the problem there's
>> virtually no hope that the problem can or will be solved
>> * if you can give steps necessary to replicate the problem, but others
>> running the same operating system and similar overall configuration that you
>> are don't have it when they perform those steps, this suggests an
>> idiosyncratic problem with your own system
>>
>> I cannot count the number of times when I've spent hours on a given problem
>> only to find out that it was a weird interaction between two programs that
>> are installed, that a system has not been updated and old DLL files are
>> being called that have errors that have long ago been fixed, etc.
>>
>> I'm not saying that anyone is directly "at fault" for anything, but these
>> are factors that you must consider and there will be occasions when "it's
>> just you" as well as many more when it's "not just you."  Having a
>> detective's mindset is essential in instances such as this.
>> --
>> *Brian*
>>
>> *Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If
>> you’re alive, it isn’t.*
>>
>>     ~ Lauren Bacall

Gene

> [...]

>> are don't have it when they perform those steps, this suggests an
>> idiosyncratic problem with your own system
>>
>> I cannot count the number of times when I've spent hours on a given problem
>> only to find out that it was a weird interaction between two programs that
>> are installed, that a system has not been updated and old DLL files are
>> being called that have errors that have long ago been fixed, etc.
>>
>> I'm not saying that anyone is directly "at fault" for anything, but these
>> are factors that you must consider and there will be occasions when "it's
>> just you" as well as many more when it's "not just you."  Having a
>> detective's mindset is essential in instances such as this.
>> --
>> *Brian*
>>
>> *Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If

David <trailerdavid@...>

Just for your correction.

You said you do NOT have any other screen reader to test? I do
understand what you mean, but it is not fully and completely true.

ALL, and I mean ALL flavors of Windows - from at least XP and up - holds
Microsoft's embedded screen reader, named NARRATOR. Though far from
being a full-fledged screen reader, it many times can help you out. For
instance, due to its very basic functionality, it at least could give
you some idea to what extend a piece of software is accessible at all.
If NARRATOR cannot help you out, then chances are that the software at
the minimum requires some more advanced features of the screen reader.

I do, and have don so in other settings, on a general basis encourage
all: If your high-end screen reader cannot do what you want, give
Narrator a go. Then com back and report your findings.

Might sound a bit awkward at first glance. But sometimes the high-end
screen readers might have settings, that complicates the usage of a
software. Running Narrator, finding that things work, you might be able
to start tracing why the high-end screen reader does not do what you expect.

Furthermore, most - if not all - of the high-end screen readers, do have
downloadable demo-versions. Might be an idea, to download and install at
least one such demo, and use it for cases when you want to determine if
NVDA is the bottleneck of your issue. Far as I know, they all provide
you fully working products, with an up-time of anything from 30 to 60
minutes; Enough time to get an idea of whether your third-party software
is workable or not.

In the older days, installing more than one screen reader, sometimes
caused system trouble. To the best of my knowledge, such is NOT the case
any longer, and have not been for a decade or so. In other words,
encouraged are everyone, to go get yourself at least one backup screen
reader, if nothing else go for a demo. It further might help the tech
team of NVDA getting to the core of your problem, if you can describe
what is taken place when running an alternative screen reader.

How do you know, if you prefer McDonald burgers, if you never tasted
anything but Burger-King?

David

On 12/5/2016 5:22 PM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
[...]

Hi,

About the program in question: can someone using Windows Vista or 7 try duplicating the issue at hand? Also, as Brian mentioned, it would be helpful if the issue reporter tell us if any accessibility options are checked and what not (if you told the player to use UIA and if you are using Windows XP, then please don’t do that, as UIA in XP is unreliable).

As for older Windows releases: Windows 9x isn’t supported because Visual Studio compiler will not generate code for it.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

[...]

Also, I didn't test with another screen-reader to see if my system would freeze.  I doubt NVDA had anything to do with these freezes.  But I didn't test to find out.

Hi Nasrin,

<mailto:gsasner@...>>

Hi Nasrin,

Sent: Monday, December 05, 2016 8:49 AM

Sent: Monday, December 05, 2016 8:49 AM

Hi Nasrin,

wrote:
> I mainly use an old version because I don't use new NVDA
features, as I said
> before. But also, I prefer the old way of using what was called
Flat
> Review. I prefer always being in screen review when I activate
review mode
> in the old version and the automatic return to object navigation
when I
> switch to another window. I could get used to the new system
but since I
> don't need to, I don't bother.
>
> Also, I don't think there is any way to import the speech
dictionaries other
> then to actually copy and paste the files. I could do that
easily enough
> but I don't since I have no need. But I am reminded of
something regarding
> the dictionaries. I think there should be an export and an import
> dictionaries item in the dictionary interface itself.
>
> Gene

Here is a link to a page that has a lot of information about players.
I'm not sure how old the page is but from the little I looked at, it appears the information is still current or reasonably so.  Looking through the list of players, you will find useful information.  For example, regarding VLC Player, you are directed to a page with information about how to use the player as a blind user.

I want to make clear that I am not saying that people shouldn't report and discuss problems with players they like.  My point is that if people want to do so, that's fine but that in an area like players where there are a lot of choices, it often makes more sense to switch to another player.  We don't know, in this case, whether the problems are caused by some anomoly on your system, your version of Windows, or something else I may not have thought of.  The player appears to me to be little known or used among blind people.  I said in a previous message that that might be because it isn't accessible.  Evidently, the program is accessible or reasonably so.  So it appears I was wrong about that.  But it may be hard to get much user verification or lack of verification as to whether your problems are more general or specific to your specific machine for some reason.

In short, in areas where a lot of choice exists, there is nothing wrong with reporting a problem.  But whether you do or not, it often is a much more efficient solution to switch to another just as satisfactory program.

Sent: Monday, December 05, 2016 5:37 AM

Sent: Monday, December 05, 2016 5:37 AM

> [...]

>>     Flat
>>     > Review.  I prefer always being in screen review when I activate
>>     review mode
>>     > in the old version and the automatic return to object navigation
>>     when I
>>     > switch to another window.  I could get used to the new system
>>     but since I
>>     > don't need to, I don't bother.
>>     >
>>     > Also, I don't think there is any way to import the speech
>>     dictionaries other
>>     > then to actually copy and paste the files.  I could do that
>>     easily enough
>>     > but I don't since I have no need.  But I am reminded of
>>     something regarding
>>     > the dictionaries.  I think there should be an export and an import
>>     > dictionaries item in the dictionary interface itself.

There are other players that I would think are as good or better than Potplayer.  Winamp, though it hasn't been upgraded by the developers for quite some time, is still a very convenient player to use.  VCL Player is liked by a lot of people.  I've hardly used it but a lot of blind people like it.  there are others as well.

When using software, if something doesn't work well or is not properly accessible, no matter how much sighted people rave about it, there are often as good or almost as good or better programs that are used by blind people that do the same things or more things better.  Sighted people may think PotPlayer is wonderful.  I doubt it is any better than some other players available that are popular among blind people.  In cases where a program isn't satisfactory, asking for alternatives is a very good idea.  I suspect the reason I haven't heard of PotPlayer until now is because it is very unsatisfactory from a blind access point of view.

Sent: Monday, December 05, 2016 2:57 AM

quentin,
thanks extremely for your kindness and help!
as i mentioned in the github, someone told that the problem persists
on windows 7 using windows media player.
but for me that only use potplayer is a very big issue.
many websites rated potplayer as the best players!
its the perfected version of kmplayer without advertisements of km.
it supports many language in its interface and also many format of
audio and video files with great quality.
if nvda becomes unresponsive when openning and closing one file, when
you try many files this problem eventually happen with the next files.
here you are the link of downloading 32 version which works both on 32
and 64 bit windows.

the github requested me log file which i provided and wanted second
file which i was not familiar with temp files and could not send it.
here you are the link hope you use it and enjoy it!
http://daumpotplayer.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/PotPlayerSetup.exe

its completely free and i provided the link from the program company.

> Hi Nasrin,
>
> Is Potplayer freely available?  If so, do you have a URL please and I will
> download and test it myself as well.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Quentin.
>
> On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 5:48 PM, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@...>
> wrote:
>
>> hi quentin.
>> i decided to stay on 2015.3 for always because in the latest versions
>> nvda has problems with potplayer and when i press alt+f4 nvda when i
>> press start menu says unknown and its a big issue for me.
>> because i only use potplayer and when i open files, most of times, i
>> should use alt+control+n to revert nvda to its normal working.
>> 15.3 until 16.2 were more stable for me.
>> but since 16.2 and 3, sometimes nvda says nothing or becomes completely
>> silent.
>> in this case, i afraid of maybe my system is hacked or my windows has
>> problems or not working properly.
>>
>> github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues.6513its for potplayer and some others
>> players and for the problem in espeak new version with farsi
>> punctuations
>> github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/6514
>>
>> but i realy love the new features of nvda including selection of
>> documents and impprovements in using firefox and now, i use 16.3
>> could you please solve the problem which i mentioned in 16.4 to use it
>> without any issues?
>> thanks extremely quentin.
>> do you have skype account for further details and contact about
>> different subjects?
>>

>> On 12/5/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
>> > I mainly use an old version because I don't use new NVDA features, as I
>> said
>> > before.  But also, I prefer the old way of using what was called Flat
>> > Review.  I prefer always being in screen review when I activate review
>> mode
>> > in the old version and the automatic return to object navigation when I
>> > switch to another window.  I could get used to the new system but since
>> > don't need to, I don't bother.
>> >
>> > Also, I don't think there is any way to import the speech dictionaries
>> other
>> > then to actually copy and paste the files.  I could do that easily
>> > enough
>> > but I don't since I have no need.  But I am reminded of something
>> regarding
>> > the dictionaries.  I think there should be an export and an import
>> > dictionaries item in the dictionary interface itself.
>> >
>> > Gene

Just killed the app with alt+f4, while it was busy playing a track, and, NVDA is still cooperating/working fine here, but, might be to do with something else, like OS version, or something?

What mean is it doesn't seem to be acting like that at all here on my side.

And, I even tried making sure NVDA and it were using same TTS engine/voice, just in case it could then cause hassles, but, seemed fine.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2016-12-05 14:52, nasrin khaksar wrote:
the problem is crashing of nvda after playing files and pressing alt+f4
nvda becomes not responding and for example: when i enter on start
botton, nvda says only unknown and not the options in start menu!
i did not try 64 bit, but i press application key to go to the menus
and also preferences.

On 12/5/16, Jacob Kruger <jacob@...> wrote:
I had previously tried out 64 bit version, but, now went and downloaded
the version you posted the link to, and, it seems pretty much the same
to me, whether I use the current release candidate for NVDA 2016.4, or
if I roll back to a portable copy of NVDA 2016.2?

What mean is interface seems pretty much the same to me, and, when now
invoked context menu, brought up preferences dialogue, and under
accessibility, among scanning through settings, turned on UIA (user
interface automation), it did seem to work fine with both versions of
NVDA, but, this was my first time ever really using it, so not sure what
part of interface is an issue on your side, while working with latest
versions of NVDA?

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker