Topics

My NVDA Not Working Properly

Ibrahim Ajayi

Hi good people:
If you can recollect, I did send a message to this group about my NVDA
not working properly. I did get many responses, and I thank all of
you who found time to respond. I am sorry I mistakenly deleted the
digest mail sent to me, and I can not reply to the mail. But I
believe some of you might remember the mail.
Actually, I got a very good response from David. He made some
suggestions which I've tried. I discovered when I switched off NVDa
as he suggested, and I used the demo version of JAWS for Windows, that
the system worked very nicely, and fast.
I strongly believe that the problem must be from the synthesiser I am
using. Actually, I use Micro sofft speech AI4 which I use through
viavoice outloud. I appear to like the synthesiser, because it is
very clear and it sounds like eloquence. But it appears obsolete and
not very helpful.
I can't use the JAWS demo version, because it works in 40 minute mode,
and one cannot usee that when doing serious work on the computer.
I downloaded Microsoft speech version 11 but it couldn't be installed
on my system. I did it several times but it didn't work. i cannot
use ESpeak, because I don't understand the speech. I tried koba
speech as well, but the speech for that is also not very easy to
comprehend.
So, can anyone suggest another synthesiser. I use windows 7 32bit.
I am Ibrahim from Nigeria.

David Moore

Hi Ibrahim,

I know that there are more free voices that you could use with NVDA, but I cannot remember off of my head. We will get back to you with suggestions for other voices. Too bad you can't use eSpeak.

I am glad I could help you. We will get you up and using NVDA with some speech. NVDA is great once you get used to it.

Talk to you soon about other voices you could use.

Take care,

David Moore (head list moderator)

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Gene

There is a SAPI 5 version of Eloquence you can buy.  You can try it as a demo.  It runs for a week.

I'm not sure what the best or easiest place may be to get it from.  Other list members will, I expect, discuss that.  There is also an add on that has Eloquence and other voices but the Eloquence it provides is very inferior.

Sent: Sunday, December 04, 2016 10:28 PM

[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi,

Did you try Microsoft Anna? That voice isn't too bad.

Rosemarie

On 12/4/2016 8:28 PM, Ibrahim Ajayi wrote:
[...]

hi.
did you try espeak iven3 voice?
i realy love it, read many books with it and its very natural and
clear and with friendly voice.
try it and let pitch be 50, infliction between 70 and 80 with
unchecking the rate boost and rate be 30.
try it and let me know.
i am realy satisfied with this great voice with these settings.

[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Ibrahim

There 2 parts to the speech platform synth and voices.

One is the speech synth engine and the other is the voices.

This is from off the website of mine of what to do to get them.

How to install Microsoft Speech Platform and voices (free) for NVDA
There are Microsoft voices that you can use with NVDA. These are called
Microsoft Speech Platform Runtime Languages. Firstly, you will need the
Microsoft Speech Platform to be able to run them.

If you have not downloaded the Microsoft Speech Platform, it is
available from the following link
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27225
You will need the x86 version of the file.

If you have downloaded the Microsoft Speech Platform, you can get
version 11 voices for it (called Runtime Languages) from the following link
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27224

The heading on the page should be: Microsoft Speech Platform - Runtime
Languages (Version 11). If for example I wanted an English voice called
Helen, I would click on one called MSSpeech_TTS_en-US_Helen.msi Please
be aware that TTS stands for text to speech, and SR stands for speech
recognition. You are looking for the TTS ones. Once downloaded, double
click on the file and it will automatically set up to the correct
location. Go back into NVDA settings Insert + N... Preferences...
Synthesizer... (In the dropdown list of synthesizers select) Microsoft
Speech Platform... Tab to OK and press Enter. Go back into your settings
Insert + N... Preferences... Voice settings... (under the Voice combo
box) arrow down to select the voice you wish to use. Tab to OK and press
Enter. You can of course alter the rate, pitch and volume to suit your
own needs. You will need to make sure that if you have version 10.2
that you use 10.2 voices, and if you get version 11 then you will need
to get the version 11 voices. For version 10.2 please refer to the NVDA
user manual for more information under supported synthesizers.

I am just looking at the page or pages now to get the synth engine and
voices.

if you are unsure which ones to get i will download the engine and all
the voices to my pc then zip them up and drop box them for you. or
others who might be interested in installing them.

I will do this shortly.

by the way there is another free synth package called speechhub that you
might want to use. the voices are only in english.

You can get the speech hub package from the following link at
http://www.speakon.org.uk/

Gene nz

On 5/12/2016 5:28 PM, Ibrahim Ajayi wrote:
[...]

Dejan Ristic

Although you said that you did not understand ESpeak, what do you think about using some of the variants it offers us? For instance, I use Iven 3, which I find very clear. I have set the rate at 24. I do not encounter any problems, probably because I use ESpeak, which I find very quick and responsive. Try to get used to it. Your messages say that your English is very good, so I think that you may get used to it before long. Choose between the variants, and try different rates to make it suitable for yourself. Let me also say that I used ESpeak while doing some freelace translations from English to Serbian, and vice versa. I was successful.

On 12/5/2016 5:28 AM, Ibrahim Ajayi wrote:
[...]

.

Dejan Ristic

Let me come between you again!

As I have already said, I use Iven 3, British voice. I agree that it is quite natural. I also read by means of it.

On 12/5/2016 7:31 AM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
[...]

hi gene.
could you please say about the quality of the speech voices that you mentioned?
whats there different with espeak?
does your second voice need one extra installation like microsoft
speech platform?

On 12/5/16, Dejan Ristic <r.dejan83@...> wrote:
[...]

if it is the speech hub package it is only in English. there are a few
different synth and coices in the package.

You will need to install the speech hub program, it might need to
download java. this will be done automatically.

You will also need to install the add on as well, so nvda can see the
synth and voices..

The add on can be found under program files x86 then speech hub then
inside of it i think it is the first folder called add on.

that will be needed to be added or installed so nvda can see the package
and voices.

Some people like the voices ime they are easy to listen 2.

Depends on what you like and get used to.

There is both a written and audio tutorial on the website there as well
if you get the package, or i could just drop box the file, then delete
it after 24 hours.

The speech platform package is the version 11 n, and it has i think 26
different voices in different languages and also the runtime file that
is needed. this file must be installed first. then the voices.

I will add atext file on which one get installed first. it is the only
one that says runtime.

I can zip it up if you want that package and drop box it shortly after I
do a update to one of my pages and also saying where the mail app
tutorial is on the website that just went up last night.

The next email from me should have the links to the drop box account to
get these files.

I will also be letting people know from now on when tutorials that are
written for programs that people may use and how to use with nvda will
be posted to the list and also from ones that people might pass on.

That will go up to the website.

I will put it in the thread and say it in the heading about the nvda
tutorials and add to the thread each time one go up or is passed on etc.

Gene nz

.

On 5/12/2016 8:40 PM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
[...]

David <trailerdavid@...>

Am I mistaken here, or does NVDA support SAPI voices? Smiles.

Microsoft used to have a SAPI package which came in both SAPI4 and SAPI5 versions. It contained MS Mike, and MS Mary. Personally, I prefered the quality of the speech, produced by the Sapi4 version. They were free, and installed under at least XP, I do hold they should work under newer flavors of Windows as well, though I cannot tell for sure.

I could dig out the installer from my archives, but you might also want to do a net search for something like:
Mircrosoft voice Mike installer
or,
Microsoft voice Mike download
and see if you can find the package somewhere.

What I do recall, is that you downloaded an installer file, ran it, restarted your system, and the voices would be ready for use, under the SAPI tab of your screen reader voice selection. I seem to remember using Mary, with an early version of NVDA. Unless something deep inside the NVDA core has changed, I would say it should still work.

Though being SAPI, the voices were OK responsive, and the quality was a good deal more natural sounding, than many of the ESpeak voices. I even used the Mike and Mary, to read several EBooks.

Just thought it might be one alternative to try out. At least it is free, so if you don't find it useful, you could always uninstall the package, and you would have lost nothing.
David

Bobby <bvinton@...>

Well you can get the sapi voices at www.grossgang.com. a guy named Jake gross has many voices including mike and Mary voices it under the tts link on the page.

On 12/5/2016 4:19 AM, David wrote:
[...]

which version of eloquence is free here?
i went to the different links and found different versions of eloquence.

On 12/5/16, Bobby <bvinton@...> wrote:
[...]

No legal version of Eloquence is free.  Gene

> [...]

>>> Enter.  You can of course alter the rate, pitch and volume to suit your
>>> own needs.  You will need to make sure that if you have version 10.2
>>> that you use 10.2 voices, and if you get version 11 then you will need
>>> to get the version 11 voices. For version 10.2 please refer to the NVDA
>>> user manual for more information under supported synthesizers.
>>>

>>> I am just looking at the page or pages now to get the synth engine and
>>> voices.
>>>

>>> if you are unsure which ones to get i will download the engine and all
>>> the voices to my pc then zip them up and drop box them for you. or
>>> others who might be interested in installing them.
>>>

>>> I will do this shortly.
>>>

>>> by the way there is another free synth package called speechhub that you
>>> might want to use. the voices are only in english.
>>>
>>> You can get the speech hub package from the following link at

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

No that is right. The problem is that many have had the licence over time, so strictly some that were free are now no longer supposed to be available. I suppose the main one people will still find on line is Via Voice from the old IBM Home page reader. However this is as far as I'm aware sappi 4 and only around in a limited number of us English voices in any case.

Its not strictly legal unless you had the original product, so its hard to advise any further. We certainly do not suggest using it as the later versions which also include some very nice new voices is value for money I think. I myself am happy with Espeak and some of the \Microsoft voices and some others that I have on a disc from Dolphin which are paid for and work well.

None of those is classic Eloquence though. To me it sounds like a bloke with a clothes peg on his nose, but I do understand some people find this very easy to understand. Horses for courses and all that, but you won't get anyone here to point you at a hacked version of it.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

how many percentage of the given voices are freeware?

[...]

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

I didn't know there was more than one ivan. I use ivan as well, but I only saw one of them in the list of voices. This is using the espeak ng. I like the ivan voice, where are the others so I may take a look at them as well?

On 12/5/2016 2:29 AM, Dejan Ristic wrote:
[...]

Under the voice settings section when you go into it under the barient
section it is a combo box open it up then arrow down the list to hear
the different varients there. the voices will change depending on the
synth package used.

I find my own voice Gene easy to listen 2.

Gene nz

On 6/12/2016 8:05 AM, Travis Siegel wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I know that. I was specifically asking where the ivan3 voice was, because I only see 1 ivan voice, uneer the espeak ng synthesizer. You didn't answer my question.

[...]

If the E speak nz is the preferred synth package under the synth
settings, I only notice the varients come up under the voice settings
section. I just looked and saw all 3 ivon voices there. Even though i am
using a windows 10 pc it should not matter.

There is about 40 or 50 voices or varients under that section.

If it is the sapi 5 version they might have to be installed if they are
there.

if not what is mentioned above i have no idea.

I can tell you if you made extra varients where to put them, but that is
not maybe you are asking about.

Gene nz