Topics

Windows XP support was: RE: [nvda] Is any release prior to the latest stable release, and thenext RC release, officially supported? #NVDARelease

Gene

The message wasn't talking about your thread at all.  The message was commenting on reading threads by conversation and had nothing to do with commenting on your thread specifically.  I don't know why the message was sent and why it was attached to your thread.  But it was discussing Outlook Express and Outlook. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Gene
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 6:18 PM
Subject: Re: Windows XP support was: RE: [nvda] Is any release prior to the latest stable release, and thenext RC release, officially supported? #NVDARelease

I wasn't so much angered. I was more just concerned, as the way it came across was you could delete Chris's thread without reading it all in one bang. It kind of made me feel like, "Oh, crud! Did I say something, or do something wrong?" I figured it was just an error. I know they probably were not talking specifically about my post, but admittedly, it did sound a bit snide. Again though, no hard feelings. She did indeed clarify, and it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

Chris.

Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 7:05 PM
Subject: Re: Windows XP support was: RE: [nvda] Is any release prior to the latest stable release, and thenext RC release, officially supported? #NVDARelease

The remark isn't snide and ethics are not involved.  This may have been a message mistakenly attached to an incorrect thread.  Or there may be some other explanation but it obviously has nothing to do with your previous comments nor with this thread.  Error should be presumed.  

Gene 
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 4:31 PM

Just curious. What exactly does my earlier thread have to do with this discussion about Outlook Express? Did I do or say something wrong? If so, please write me off list rather than publicly referencing my posts with some snide remark, with all due respect. - Doing so isn't ethical.

If you want to take this up with me privately, my address is:

I'll be happy to address your concerns off list.

Chris.

Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 5:24 PM

Oh! Speaking of outlook express! What I liked about it, if you didn’t want to read a thread. For example. Chris’s computer problem. You can heave the thread! I forgot how you used to do it using outlook express. I’m not sure how one does it using outlook 2010.   

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Isaac
Sent: December-06-16 9:52 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

besides, jaws, windoweyes, and any apps that need dotnet 4.5 or higher are not supported among the latest java release, and so much more.  Trust me, I just tried a week a go, to make a complete install with and with out the hack, applying the updates manually, but it isn't worth it.  But, if your a die-hard fan, you can still use firefox and outlook express.

Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 11:12 PM

Microsoft says that the updates are not intended for the standard version of XP.  Call it a hack or something else, you are using an unsupported means to get unsupported updates that are intended for a different version of XP than is used on standard computers.  I'm not taking a position on whether the patches work or work properly.  I'm simply saying that if you do this, you hope but you don't know. 

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 8:24 PM

The simple hack is to make your regular xp machine look like an embeded xp install.  It has nothing to do with xp as a whole.  Microsoft is still supporting the embeded version of xp until 2019.  That isn't a hack, that's the truth, and denying it won't change anything.

Xp embeded version is being supported until 2019. It's not the version of xp folks run on their computers, but it's close enough that you can piggyback on that support to keep your xp machine patched until then.

No, it's not a direct support by microsoft (for the desktop version) and microsoft has said they don't recommend folks do this, but they've also comitted to supporting the embeded market until 2019, and that means (contrary to popular belief) that microsoft does support xp still, albeit a specific version of xp, but nonetheless, they do still support xp.

On 12/6/2016 9:06 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Uh, anything that requires a so-called "simple hack" is not officially supported, period.

Microsoft has declared XP support over and it's incredibly foolish to doubt their commitment to leaving it behind.
--
Brian

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.

~ Lauren Bacall

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...>

I wasn't so much angered. I was more just concerned, as the way it came across was you could delete Chris's thread without reading it all in one bang. It kind of made me feel like, "Oh, crud! Did I say something, or do something wrong?" I figured it was just an error. I know they probably were not talking specifically about my post, but admittedly, it did sound a bit snide. Again though, no hard feelings. She did indeed clarify, and it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

Chris.

Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 7:05 PM

The remark isn't snide and ethics are not involved.  This may have been a message mistakenly attached to an incorrect thread.  Or there may be some other explanation but it obviously has nothing to do with your previous comments nor with this thread.  Error should be presumed.  

Gene 

Just curious. What exactly does my earlier thread have to do with this discussion about Outlook Express? Did I do or say something wrong? If so, please write me off list rather than publicly referencing my posts with some snide remark, with all due respect. - Doing so isn't ethical.

Chris.

Oh! Speaking of outlook express! What I liked about it, if you didn’t want to read a thread. For example. Chris’s computer problem. You can heave the thread! I forgot how you used to do it using outlook express. I’m not sure how one does it using outlook 2010.   

besides, jaws, windoweyes, and any apps that need dotnet 4.5 or higher are not supported among the latest java release, and so much more.  Trust me, I just tried a week a go, to make a complete install with and with out the hack, applying the updates manually, but it isn't worth it.  But, if your a die-hard fan, you can still use firefox and outlook express.

Microsoft says that the updates are not intended for the standard version of XP.  Call it a hack or something else, you are using an unsupported means to get unsupported updates that are intended for a different version of XP than is used on standard computers.  I'm not taking a position on whether the patches work or work properly.  I'm simply saying that if you do this, you hope but you don't know. 

Gene

The simple hack is to make your regular xp machine look like an embeded xp install.  It has nothing to do with xp as a whole.  Microsoft is still supporting the embeded version of xp until 2019.  That isn't a hack, that's the truth, and denying it won't change anything.

Xp embeded version is being supported until 2019. It's not the version of xp folks run on their computers, but it's close enough that you can piggyback on that support to keep your xp machine patched until then.

No, it's not a direct support by microsoft (for the desktop version) and microsoft has said they don't recommend folks do this, but they've also comitted to supporting the embeded market until 2019, and that means (contrary to popular belief) that microsoft does support xp still, albeit a specific version of xp, but nonetheless, they do still support xp.

Uh, anything that requires a so-called "simple hack" is not officially supported, period.

Microsoft has declared XP support over and it's incredibly foolish to doubt their commitment to leaving it behind.
--
Brian

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.

~ Lauren Bacall

Avast logo

www.avast.com

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 04:05 pm, Gene wrote:
Error should be presumed.

Reworking something I posted elsewhere earlier:  Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by human error.
--
Brian

~ Lauren Bacall

Gene

Gene 

Chris.

Gene

--
Brian

~ Lauren Bacall

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Oh, OK. That makes sense. Cool deal. I just wanted to be sure I'd not said anything wrong. Just bad timing I guess. LOL! It's all good.

Take care.

Chris.

Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 5:43 PM

Oh no, I was just using your name!  It had nothing to do with you. It could be any Chris! 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Christopher-Mark Gilland
Sent: December-07-16 2:31 PM

Chris.

Gene

--
Brian

~ Lauren Bacall

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Arlene

Oh no, I was just using your name!  It had nothing to do with you. It could be any Chris! 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Christopher-Mark Gilland
Sent: December-07-16 2:31 PM

Chris.

Gene

--
Brian

~ Lauren Bacall

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Chris.

Gene

--
Brian

~ Lauren Bacall

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Arlene

Gene

--
Brian

~ Lauren Bacall

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Just for clarification, are you meaning to say Embeded, or did you mis-spell, and actually mean to say embedded, e m b e d d e d?

Chris.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 11:29 AM

Embeded xp is something that would run on a single board computer (something similar to the raspberry pi). sbcs are used in all kinds of industrial automation, among other things, and microsoft has made a version of xp available for these computers so developers can run windows on their small computers. Honestly, I'm not aware of anyone using xp on an imbeded systems, but often times, you don't really know what's under the hood (so to speak) of an appliance or device. For example, most of the linksys routers run a version of linux, some of the asus motherboards also run a version of linux to handle their cmos configuration. I know most atm machines used to run os/2, but they have since switched to some form of windows (maybe they're the ones running xp). Anyway, anything that runs an operating system invissible to the user is considered embeded, and it can be in anything from toasters to bull dozeers, just about anything you can point at these days has some sort of computer in it, and those computers have to run something, so that's what's referred to as the embeded market, because the os is embeded into the device, and is (generally) transparent to the user.

On 12/7/2016 3:32 AM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
hi travis.
thanks for your good news.
i did read this news and mentioned in this group, but they told that
dont trust them and only do accept the news from microsoft and
trustworthy websites.
whats the different between embedded windows xp and standard windows
xp which i use now?

On 12/7/16, Isaac <bigikemusic@...> wrote:
besides, jaws, windoweyes, and any apps that need dotnet 4.5 or higher are
not supported among the latest java release, and so much more. Trust me, I
just tried a week a go, to make a complete install with and with out the
hack, applying the updates manually, but it isn't worth it. But, if your a
die-hard fan, you can still use firefox and outlook express.
Subject: Re: Windows XP support was: RE: [nvda] Is any release prior to
the latest stable release, and thenext RC release, officially supported?
#NVDARelease

Microsoft says that the updates are not intended for the standard version
of XP. Call it a hack or something else, you are using an unsupported means
to get unsupported updates that are intended for a different version of XP
than is used on standard computers. I'm not taking a position on whether
the patches work or work properly. I'm simply saying that if you do this,
you hope but you don't know.

Gene

#NVDARelease

The simple hack is to make your regular xp machine look like an embeded xp
install. It has nothing to do with xp as a whole. Microsoft is still
supporting the embeded version of xp until 2019. That isn't a hack, that's
the truth, and denying it won't change anything.

Xp embeded version is being supported until 2019. It's not the version of
xp folks run on their computers, but it's close enough that you can
piggyback on that support to keep your xp machine patched until then.

No, it's not a direct support by microsoft (for the desktop version) and
microsoft has said they don't recommend folks do this, but they've also
comitted to supporting the embeded market until 2019, and that means
(contrary to popular belief) that microsoft does support xp still, albeit a
specific version of xp, but nonetheless, they do still support xp.

Uh, anything that requires a so-called "simple hack" is not officially
supported, period.

Microsoft has declared XP support over and it's incredibly foolish to
doubt their commitment to leaving it behind.
--
Brian

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete. If
you’re alive, it isn’t.

~ Lauren Bacall

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus
software.
www.avast.com

Rob

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...> wrote:
Honestly, I'm not aware of anyone
using xp on an imbeded systems, but often times, you don't really know
what's under the hood (so to speak) of an appliance or device.
A lot of cash points and point of sale terminals still run xp. Scary.

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Embeded xp is something that would run on a single board computer (something similar to the raspberry pi). sbcs are used in all kinds of industrial automation, among other things, and microsoft has made a version of xp available for these computers so developers can run windows on their small computers. Honestly, I'm not aware of anyone using xp on an imbeded systems, but often times, you don't really know what's under the hood (so to speak) of an appliance or device. For example, most of the linksys routers run a version of linux, some of the asus motherboards also run a version of linux to handle their cmos configuration. I know most atm machines used to run os/2, but they have since switched to some form of windows (maybe they're the ones running xp). Anyway, anything that runs an operating system invissible to the user is considered embeded, and it can be in anything from toasters to bull dozeers, just about anything you can point at these days has some sort of computer in it, and those computers have to run something, so that's what's referred to as the embeded market, because the os is embeded into the device, and is (generally) transparent to the user.

On 12/7/2016 3:32 AM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
hi travis.
trustworthy websites.
xp which i use now?

#NVDARelease

Gene

#NVDARelease

supported, period.

--
Brian

you’re alive, it isn’t.

~ Lauren Bacall

software.
www.avast.com

hi travis.
trustworthy websites.
xp which i use now?

#NVDARelease

Gene

#NVDARelease

supported, period.

--
Brian

you’re alive, it isn’t.

~ Lauren Bacall

software.
www.avast.com

--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
imam hosein is the beacon of light and the ark of salvation.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
al-islam.org

Isaac <bigikemusic@...>

Gene

--
Brian

~ Lauren Bacall

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Gene

Gene

--
Brian

~ Lauren Bacall

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Hi,

In this case, Travis is correct, but for the purposes of general-purpose computers, XP has exited the stage.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Travis Siegel
Sent: Tuesday, December 6, 2016 5:54 PM

The embeded version of xp is still supported until 2019.  You can get more information here.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/05/27/simple-hack-gives-windows-xp-users-5-more-years-of-support/#5a5a7925208a

On 12/6/2016 11:02 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 07:30 am, nasrin khaksar wrote:

i read somewhere that xp is supported until 2019

That is quite simply incorrect.  Microsoft ended all official support for Windows XP in 2014, and that was extended support.  Base support ended in 2008.  See this official announcement on technet.microsoft.com.
--
Brian

~ Lauren Bacall

www.avast.com

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 06:25 pm, Travis Siegel wrote:
No, it's not a direct support by microsoft (for the desktop version)

Full stop.

You try getting them to support something you've tweaked to make it something it wasn't when licensed from them.  Good luck with that.
--
Brian

~ Lauren Bacall

--
Brian

~ Lauren Bacall

Avast logo

www.avast.com

--
Brian

~ Lauren Bacall

The embeded version of xp is still supported until 2019.  You can get more information here.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/05/27/simple-hack-gives-windows-xp-users-5-more-years-of-support/#5a5a7925208a

On 12/6/2016 11:02 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

That is quite simply incorrect.  Microsoft ended all official support for Windows XP in 2014, and that was extended support.  Base support ended in 2008.  See this official announcement on technet.microsoft.com.
--
Brian

~ Lauren Bacall

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Kevin Cussick

there you have it thanks Gene.

On 06/12/2016 16:21, Gene wrote:
It doesn't matter how many sites may say this. Many sites may have
incorrect information. It is important to get information from reliable
sites. Windows XP hasn't been supported for a number of years. Do a
google search for Windows XP support end and look at results from good
sources such as Microsoft's information or PC World or other reputable
sites.

Here is a quote from Microsoft.
"After 12 years, support for Windows XP ended April 8, 2014."

Gene
----- Original Message ------
*Sent:* Tuesday, December 06, 2016 10:07 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: Windows XP support was: RE: [nvda] Is any release prior
to the latest stable release, and thenext RC release, officially
supported? #NVDARelease

i am sure that its true
i dont remember the site but i read it on many websites and i have no doubt.

On 12/6/16, Brian Vogel <@britechguy
<mailto:@britechguy>> wrote:

That is quite simply incorrect. Microsoft ended all official support for
Windows XP in 2014, and that was extended support. Base support ended in
2008. See this official announcement (
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-xp.aspx ) on
technet.microsoft.com.
--
*Brian*

*Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete. If
you’re alive, it isn’t.*

~ Lauren Bacall

--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
imam hosein is the beacon of light and the ark of salvation.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
al-islam.org