Topics

nvda rule not working in thunderbird

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, everyone,

I have all the other rules set up ok but the one for the NVDA list isn't working. Last night I was up almost until midnight trying to correct the mistake I made. I tried everything I could think of to make thunderbird put the NVDA messages in the correct folder. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm having to move everything to that folder. What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Jeffrey Shockley

Hello,
It’s kind of hard to help when you have not provided the steps and all the information you have entered into Thunderbird to configure it to do what you are asking. If all this was provided, I’m sure someone would be more than happy to assist you in this matter.
I am not  familiar with rules in this program, however, I do hope the below website is of some help.

I hope this helps,
Jeffrey

On Dec 6, 2016, at 12:11 PM, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...> wrote:

Hi, everyone,

I have all the other rules set up ok but the one for the NVDA list isn't working. Last night I was up almost until midnight trying to correct the mistake I made. I tried everything I could think of to make thunderbird put the NVDA messages in the correct folder. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm having to move everything to that folder. What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Rosemarie

I just set up a filter in mozilla thunderbird under one of my accounts.
it is the one i use for my website, but not the main one where my emails
from the list come in. I done it as a test run.

When the emails come into the inbox as a example because the filter is
set up any of the emails will go to a folder called nvda emails. I just
tested it and it works.

I did not really go into any other configurations, as there are plenty
to choose from.

Depending how you have it set and what you specify is what it will do.

if others are interested in how to do it as well, i will either write up
something or do a audio tutorial on how to do it, then post it as well
on the accessible email client mozilla thunderbird page on my website.

Gene nz

Hi, everyone,

I have all the other rules set up ok but the one for the NVDA list
isn't working. Last night I was up almost until midnight trying to
correct the mistake I made. I tried everything I could think of to
make thunderbird put the NVDA messages in the correct folder. I don't
know what to do anymore. I'm having to move everything to that folder.
What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

I done a quick audio tutorial on how to create a basic filter in thunder
bird. The filter must be done on the inbox.

the other thing i done before setting up the filter was to create a
folder for the emails to go into. for example nvda emails

When the filter is set up and running all emails from the nvda list will
go into the nvda emails folder.

Because i had already made a filter for it to be done I couldive done it
through the context menu, then set it up.

That way will still take you back to the way shown in the audio tutorial
and the same steps as doing it through the tools then filter menu.

Also doing it through the menus which i show in the tutorial it will
give you a idea of where to look either to edit or remove a filter or
even create a new one.

I will put the audio tutorial on my accessible email client mozilla
thunder bird page in the next day or so. Plus there will be a please
note that the filter must be done on the inbox etc

Others might be interested in-doing the same thing so i will post a drop
box link here for others to listen 2.

The link to the tutorial is
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64177841/creating%20a%20basic%20filter%20in%20mozilla%20thunder%20bird.MP3

The steps are the same whether you use the context menu and go in that
way or do it through the tools then filter menu.

Gene nz

Hi, everyone,

I have all the other rules set up ok but the one for the NVDA list
isn't working. Last night I was up almost until midnight trying to
correct the mistake I made. I tried everything I could think of to
make thunderbird put the NVDA messages in the correct folder. I don't
know what to do anymore. I'm having to move everything to that folder.
What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

David Moore

Hi Gene NZ,

Thanks a lot for this. I am definitely interested in this. I will give this a listen.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I done a quick audio tutorial on how to create a basic filter in thunder

bird. The filter must be done on the inbox.

the other thing i done before setting up the filter was to create a

folder for the emails to go into. for example nvda emails

When the filter is set up and running all emails from the nvda list will

go into the nvda emails folder.

Because i had already made a filter for it to be done I couldive done it

through the context menu, then set it up.

That way will still take you back to the way shown in the audio tutorial

and the same steps as doing it through the tools then filter menu.

Also doing it through the menus which i show in the tutorial  it will

give you a idea of where to look either to edit or remove a filter or

even create a new one.

I will put the audio tutorial on my accessible email client mozilla

thunder bird page in the next day or so. Plus there will be a please

note that the filter must be done on the inbox etc

Others might be interested in-doing the same thing so i will post a drop

box link here for others to listen 2.

The link to the tutorial is

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64177841/creating%20a%20basic%20filter%20in%20mozilla%20thunder%20bird.MP3

The steps are the same whether you use the context menu and go in that

way or do it through the tools then filter menu.

Gene nz

> Hi, everyone,

> I have all the other rules set up ok but the one for the NVDA list

> isn't working. Last night I was up almost until midnight trying to

> correct the mistake I made. I tried everything I could think of to

> make thunderbird put the NVDA messages in the correct folder. I don't

> know what to do anymore. I'm having to move everything to that folder.

> What could I be doing wrong?

> Thanks for your help in advance.

> Rosemarie

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi David

hopefully it should be easy enough to follow. Even though i had already setup the message filter, using the context menu will still take you back to the way where i went through the tools then filter way.. I just figured the rule is already setup so i went in to show what sections were done if you get what I mean.

Hopefully it helps and doing it off the email was the easiest way for the nvda list.

Gene nz

On 7/12/2016 11:56 AM, David Moore wrote:

Hi Gene NZ,

Thanks a lot for this. I am definitely interested in this. I will give this a listen.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I done a quick audio tutorial on how to create a basic filter in thunder

bird. The filter must be done on the inbox.

the other thing i done before setting up the filter was to create a

folder for the emails to go into. for example nvda emails

When the filter is set up and running all emails from the nvda list will

go into the nvda emails folder.

Because i had already made a filter for it to be done I couldive done it

through the context menu, then set it up.

That way will still take you back to the way shown in the audio tutorial

and the same steps as doing it through the tools then filter menu.

Also doing it through the menus which i show in the tutorial  it will

give you a idea of where to look either to edit or remove a filter or

even create a new one.

I will put the audio tutorial on my accessible email client mozilla

thunder bird page in the next day or so. Plus there will be a please

note that the filter must be done on the inbox etc

Others might be interested in-doing the same thing so i will post a drop

box link here for others to listen 2.

The link to the tutorial is

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64177841/creating%20a%20basic%20filter%20in%20mozilla%20thunder%20bird.MP3

The steps are the same whether you use the context menu and go in that

way or do it through the tools then filter menu.

Gene nz

> Hi, everyone,

> I have all the other rules set up ok but the one for the NVDA list

> isn't working. Last night I was up almost until midnight trying to

> correct the mistake I made. I tried everything I could think of to

> make thunderbird put the NVDA messages in the correct folder. I don't

> know what to do anymore. I'm having to move everything to that folder.

> What could I be doing wrong?

> Thanks for your help in advance.

> Rosemarie

David Moore

Yes, that was great!

Thanks a lot.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I done a quick audio tutorial on how to create a basic filter in thunder

bird. The filter must be done on the inbox.

the other thing i done before setting up the filter was to create a

folder for the emails to go into. for example nvda emails

When the filter is set up and running all emails from the nvda list will

go into the nvda emails folder.

Because i had already made a filter for it to be done I couldive done it

through the context menu, then set it up.

That way will still take you back to the way shown in the audio tutorial

and the same steps as doing it through the tools then filter menu.

Also doing it through the menus which i show in the tutorial  it will

give you a idea of where to look either to edit or remove a filter or

even create a new one.

I will put the audio tutorial on my accessible email client mozilla

thunder bird page in the next day or so. Plus there will be a please

note that the filter must be done on the inbox etc

Others might be interested in-doing the same thing so i will post a drop

box link here for others to listen 2.

The link to the tutorial is

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64177841/creating%20a%20basic%20filter%20in%20mozilla%20thunder%20bird.MP3

The steps are the same whether you use the context menu and go in that

way or do it through the tools then filter menu.

Gene nz

> Hi, everyone,

> I have all the other rules set up ok but the one for the NVDA list

> isn't working. Last night I was up almost until midnight trying to

> correct the mistake I made. I tried everything I could think of to

> make thunderbird put the NVDA messages in the correct folder. I don't

> know what to do anymore. I'm having to move everything to that folder.

> What could I be doing wrong?

> Thanks for your help in advance.

> Rosemarie

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, David,

I'll give a listen to Gene NZ's tutorial when it's put up in a few days. I had such a hard time with creating filters so I came back to outlook. It's a heck of a lot easier to create message rules with outlook.

Rosemarie

I done a quick audio tutorial on how to create a basic filter in thunder

bird. The filter must be done on the inbox.

the other thing i done before setting up the filter was to create a

folder for the emails to go into. for example nvda emails

When the filter is set up and running all emails from the nvda list will

go into the nvda emails folder.

Because i had already made a filter for it to be done I couldive done it

through the context menu, then set it up.

That way will still take you back to the way shown in the audio tutorial

and the same steps as doing it through the tools then filter menu.

Also doing it through the menus which i show in the tutorial  it will

give you a idea of where to look either to edit or remove a filter or

even create a new one.

I will put the audio tutorial on my accessible email client mozilla

thunder bird page in the next day or so. Plus there will be a please

note that the filter must be done on the inbox etc

Others might be interested in-doing the same thing so i will post a drop

box link here for others to listen 2.

The link to the tutorial is

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64177841/creating%20a%20basic%20filter%20in%20mozilla%20thunder%20bird.MP3

The steps are the same whether you use the context menu and go in that

way or do it through the tools then filter menu.

Gene nz

> Hi, everyone,

> I have all the other rules set up ok but the one for the NVDA list

> isn't working. Last night I was up almost until midnight trying to

> correct the mistake I made. I tried everything I could think of to

> make thunderbird put the NVDA messages in the correct folder. I don't

> know what to do anymore. I'm having to move everything to that folder.

> What could I be doing wrong?

> Thanks for your help in advance.

> Rosemarie

Rosemarie Chavarria

Does it have to be done from the inbox? I was doing it the hard way.

I done a quick audio tutorial on how to create a basic filter in thunder

bird. The filter must be done on the inbox.

the other thing i done before setting up the filter was to create a

folder for the emails to go into. for example nvda emails

When the filter is set up and running all emails from the nvda list will

go into the nvda emails folder.

Because i had already made a filter for it to be done I couldive done it

through the context menu, then set it up.

That way will still take you back to the way shown in the audio tutorial

and the same steps as doing it through the tools then filter menu.

Also doing it through the menus which i show in the tutorial  it will

give you a idea of where to look either to edit or remove a filter or

even create a new one.

I will put the audio tutorial on my accessible email client mozilla

thunder bird page in the next day or so. Plus there will be a please

note that the filter must be done on the inbox etc

Others might be interested in-doing the same thing so i will post a drop

box link here for others to listen 2.

The link to the tutorial is

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64177841/creating%20a%20basic%20filter%20in%20mozilla%20thunder%20bird.MP3

The steps are the same whether you use the context menu and go in that

way or do it through the tools then filter menu.

Gene nz

> Hi, everyone,

> I have all the other rules set up ok but the one for the NVDA list

> isn't working. Last night I was up almost until midnight trying to

> correct the mistake I made. I tried everything I could think of to

> make thunderbird put the NVDA messages in the correct folder. I don't

> know what to do anymore. I'm having to move everything to that folder.

> What could I be doing wrong?

> Thanks for your help in advance.

> Rosemarie

David Moore

Yes, I will give it a listen as well. I have never learned how to create message rules.

Take care.

Dave

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I'll give a listen to Gene NZ's tutorial when it's put up in a few days. I had such a hard time with creating filters so I came back to outlook. It's a heck of a lot easier to create message rules with outlook.

Rosemarie

I done a quick audio tutorial on how to create a basic filter in thunder

bird. The filter must be done on the inbox.

the other thing i done before setting up the filter was to create a

folder for the emails to go into. for example nvda emails

When the filter is set up and running all emails from the nvda list will

go into the nvda emails folder.

Because i had already made a filter for it to be done I couldive done it

through the context menu, then set it up.

That way will still take you back to the way shown in the audio tutorial

and the same steps as doing it through the tools then filter menu.

Also doing it through the menus which i show in the tutorial  it will

give you a idea of where to look either to edit or remove a filter or

even create a new one.

I will put the audio tutorial on my accessible email client mozilla

thunder bird page in the next day or so. Plus there will be a please

note that the filter must be done on the inbox etc

Others might be interested in-doing the same thing so i will post a drop

box link here for others to listen 2.

The link to the tutorial is

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64177841/creating%20a%20basic%20filter%20in%20mozilla%20thunder%20bird.MP3

The steps are the same whether you use the context menu and go in that

way or do it through the tools then filter menu.

Gene nz

> Hi, everyone,

> I have all the other rules set up ok but the one for the NVDA list

> isn't working. Last night I was up almost until midnight trying to

> correct the mistake I made. I tried everything I could think of to

> make thunderbird put the NVDA messages in the correct folder. I don't

> know what to do anymore. I'm having to move everything to that folder.

> What could I be doing wrong?

> Thanks for your help in advance.

> Rosemarie

David <trailerdavid@...>

In the rule setup screen, you have one combo box, which determines
whether you will be dealing with the Subject line, From field etc. In
this Combo box, choose the entry that says:

To From Bcc and CC

That is, there is a choice that includes them all. So scroll down till
you get to the choice including all of the fields.

The other combo box, is the one that defines if you are looking out for
cases that are completely equal to, or only in partial compares to your
search string. For instance, you could choose the one that says:

Contains.

In the next field, the editbox, you will enter the string to lookout
for. If you have chosen to look out for any strings that CONTAINS, you
here could simply just enter a phrase like:

NVDA.

Now tab over to the combo boxes for what activity to perform on any
messages that meet the requirements you have specified. Make sure to
choose the entry that says:

Move To.

Tab again, and you will be in the combo box for determining which folder
to move the message to. Here, use all your arrow keys, for making your
selection of a folder.

Tabbing further on, you will be given the chance to add more activities,
or more rules to the message. For now, make sure to delete any further
activity, you can always add such on to the rule, at a later state.

In the dialog, also make sure that you perform the rule BEFORE any Junk
Classification, and that it is being tied to the correct Email account.
If you for instance have two mail accounts - like one Gmail and one
Yahoo - you will have to tie the rule to the one account where you do
receive the NVDA list messages. Attempting a rule on the wrong Email
account, will cause the rule to never get into action.

Both the Junk Classification, and the choice of mail account, you set
near the top of the dialog.

Also, please make sure you have made your correct choices on WHEN the
rule is to take place. If it is to be put into action upon receiving new
mail, when archiving and so forth. There will be some checkboxes for
handling this, all on top of the dialog.

Agreed, Thunderbird is quite demanding when setting up rules, with quite
a number of fields to be filled in. Then again, once you get the meaning
of it all, you will come to appreciate the powerfulness of it all. One
and same rule can perform many actions, which you under other clients
like Outlook Express would have to define in separate rules. Just to
mention one benefit of the somehow complex setup routine.

Hope any of the above would help you out, and that wyou will loose no
more sleep.

You might actually want to delete your non-functioning rule, and start
all over with that particular rule. And, make sure your other rules do
not conflict the one you are trying to perform. For instance, say you
had one rule that took all mailing list messages, and dropped them into
one big mailing list folder. And then you are creating your NVDA rule to
look out for NVDA messages in the inbox. Your NVDA rule would never kick
in, since your first rule has moved all the messages - being from a
mailing list - to the mailing list folder. Your NVDA rule hence will
have to be tied to the mailing list folder on your system. Hope that all
made some sense.

In the main dialog of all your rules, you might further have to
rearrange the order the rules are carried out. near the top of that
dialog, you have a list of all your rules. Scroll down to the one you
want to rearrange, and tab over to the

Move Up

and

Move down

buttons, to position the rule in its correct rank. When the rules are
being carried out, Thunderbird will start at top of that list, and work
its way down, one rule at a time. So see if you can get it to do your
NVDA stuff in its due time.

David

Hi, everyone,

I have all the other rules set up ok but the one for the NVDA list
isn't working. Last night I was up almost until midnight trying to
correct the mistake I made. I tried everything I could think of to
make thunderbird put the NVDA messages in the correct folder. I don't
know what to do anymore. I'm having to move everything to that folder.
What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

.

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, David,

Thanks very much for these steps. I guess it's just that thunderbird seems a bit more complicated when it comes to trying to filter messages. It's really easy in outlook. All you do is hit the applications key and arrow down to "always move messages from" and then the message you want to move. Then you hit enter and arrow down to the folder you want.

Rosemarie

[...]

yes as that is where your emails come into then are sorted from there to where you want them to go.

the audio tutorial basically just covered the settings under the filter i setup.

the audio tutorial is already on a drop box link and will stay there and when i write up the basic settings to set it up that way step by step i will then link the audio tutorial to the accessible email client mozilla thunder bird page.

that part will be added in the next day or so and will let people know when it goes up..

there is so many ways you can set the filter depending if you want stuff like subject line, etc etc.

I only setup the filter on the account i wanted to use it on, but i can set it to send to other email accounts which i did not do.

Best bet is listen to the audio tutorial to follow it so you know what to do.

You can always have a look around in the different sections there to get a idea of what you can do.

But doing it by email from the list is the easiest way.

Gene nz