Topics

NVDA doesn't announce what shifted letter and number keys do

Gene

I didn't realize this until now but I was playing with input help today and I found that NVDA doesn't announce what shifted number keys do nor what shifted items such as punctuation keys do.  If you hold shift and press a number key, you will hear something like shift plus and then the number is announced.  That doesn't give useful information.  What if I wanted to find the dollar sign.  I couldn't do so using input help.  And I couldn't know from input help that shift slash is the question mark.  I'd hear something like shift plus slash.  Why is this the case and can it be changed without unreasonable effort?

Gene

Quentin Christensen

Hi Gene,

Very good point.  I can't directly answer how easy or hard it is to fix.  Off the top of my head, I would hazard a guess that it shouldn't be hard, but I'll have to wait until Mick or Jamie can answer that and whether there was any reason for not including the functionality already.

In any case, I filed an issue for it: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/6621

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 5:24 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
I didn't realize this until now but I was playing with input help today and I found that NVDA doesn't announce what shifted number keys do nor what shifted items such as punctuation keys do.  If you hold shift and press a number key, you will hear something like shift plus and then the number is announced.  That doesn't give useful information.  What if I wanted to find the dollar sign.  I couldn't do so using input help.  And I couldn't know from input help that shift slash is the question mark.  I'd hear something like shift plus slash.  Why is this the case and can it be changed without unreasonable effort?

Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Chris Mullins

I thought input help was designed to give instructions on NVDA commands rather than keyboard layout.  For keyboard layout type investigations, open a text file and switch on speak typed characters, NVDA+2.

Cheers

Chris

I didn't realize this until now but I was playing with input help today and I found that NVDA doesn't announce what shifted number keys do nor what shifted items such as punctuation keys do.  If you hold shift and press a number key, you will hear something like shift plus and then the number is announced.  That doesn't give useful information.  What if I wanted to find the dollar sign.  I couldn't do so using input help.  And I couldn't know from input help that shift slash is the question mark.  I'd hear something like shift plus slash.  Why is this the case and can it be changed without unreasonable effort?

Gene

Quentin Christensen

It does a bit of both - it tells you which shift and control and so on and which letters and numbers, so logically it wouldn't be out of place to have it tell you the symbol when you press shift with those letters and numbers.

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 9:33 AM, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks.  I'll check the issue to see how things develop.

Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 3:30 PM

[...]

Since it announces letters and numbers unshifted, it is reasonable that it announce the shifted items as well.  Of course, you can do what you are saying, but it is more convenient and better design if input help can announce shifted items.  Your method is a work around.

Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 4:33 PM

[...]

I disagree, this is a facility designed to give information on the key combinations used to invoke NVDA commands.  What is spoken identifies the combination of keys used for the commands not what character they yield.  It’s not a work around because it’s not a fault.  It’s just a sensible and easy way of getting to know your keyboard.

Cheers

Chris

Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 4:33 PM

[...]

hi.
i did not understand the subject.
i dont use imput help but now, i tried it.
for example: nvda says shift plus kama slash backslash etc

On 12/7/16, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:
[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Quentin Christensen

Nasrin,

Yep, that's basically what input help does - you press NVDA+1 and from then on it will read out the keys you press and where applicable, what they do.  It doesn't actually do anything.  So, you can press delete or windows, or alt+f4 and it won't actually do anything, but it will tell you what you pressed.  It's good for both finding your way around a new keyboard layout, and also for practising keyboard commands that you might often press the wrong keys on, and practicing NVDA commands without doing anything.

When you are finished, press NVDA+1 again to turn input help off.