NVDA repeating itself

Don H

Running NVDA RC1 on a Win 10 laptop. When I close the laptop I normally first hit Alt F4 and then select sleep, let it go to sleep then shut the lid. When I open the laptop later thus returning from sleep NVDA keeps repeating the name of the Icon in focus over and over. Is this expected behavior?
As I have already said as a newbee I am quite impressed by NVDA.

Quentin Christensen

Are you using the lock screen / logging in to your account?

On mine when I just tried exactly what you did (alt+f4 from the desktop, choose sleep, let it go to sleep, close the lid, open the lid), it comes up to the lock screen - although it didn't always announce anything.  When I logged in, it announced "pane" twice but that was all.  So I got a couple of little gremlins, but different ones to you.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Don H

I don't require a password to open windows. So when returning from sleep I am placed on the desktop.

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 7:36 AM, Don H <lmddh50@comcast.net
<mailto:lmddh50@comcast.net>> wrote:

Running NVDA RC1 on a Win 10 laptop. When I close the laptop I
normally first hit Alt F4 and then select sleep, let it go to sleep
then shut the lid. When I open the laptop later thus returning from
sleep NVDA keeps repeating the name of the Icon in focus over and
over. Is this expected behavior?
As I have already said as a newbee I am quite impressed by NVDA.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
Direct: +61 413 904 383
Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

That could be why mine is working differently.  I take it NVDA didn't keep repeating the current icon before 2016.4rc1?

<mailto:lmddh50@...>> wrote:

    Running NVDA RC1 on a Win 10 laptop.  When I close the laptop I
    normally first hit Alt F4 and then select sleep, let it go to sleep
    then shut the lid.  When I open the laptop later thus returning from
    sleep NVDA keeps repeating the name of the Icon in focus over and
    over.  Is this expected behavior?
    As I have already said as a newbee I am quite impressed by NVDA.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
Direct: +61 413 904 383
Twitter: @NVAccess

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Don H

Started with RC1

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 9:42 AM, Don H <lmddh50@comcast.net

<mailto:lmddh50@comcast.net <mailto:lmddh50@comcast.net>>> wrote:

Running NVDA RC1 on a Win 10 laptop. When I close the laptop I
normally first hit Alt F4 and then select sleep, let it go
to sleep
then shut the lid. When I open the laptop later thus
returning from
sleep NVDA keeps repeating the name of the Icon in focus
over and
over. Is this expected behavior?
As I have already said as a newbee I am quite impressed by NVDA.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
<tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
Direct: +61 413 904 383 <tel:%2B61%20413%20904%20383>
www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org>
<http://www.nvaccess.org/>
<http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>
Twitter: @NVAccess

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
Direct: +61 413 904 383
Twitter: @NVAccess

when is the time for final nvda 2016.4?
i realy wish to see it very soon and am very excited from some of its features!
can i use potplayer in this release without any problem?

On 12/7/16, Don H <lmddh50@comcast.net> wrote:
Started with RC1

[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Gene

The version of NVDA you are using now is the final release version unless some significant problem is found.  The answer, therefore, whatever happens in future, is very likely no.

Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 3:03 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA repeating itself

On 12/7/16, Don H <lmddh50@...> wrote:
> Started with RC1
>
> On 12/6/2016 4:48 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
>> That could be why mine is working differently.  I take it NVDA didn't
>> keep repeating the current icon before 2016.4rc1?
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 9:42 AM, Don H <lmddh50@...
>> <mailto:lmddh50@...>> wrote:
>>
>>     I don't require a password to open windows.  So when returning from
>>     sleep I am placed on the desktop.
>>
>>     On 12/6/2016 4:10 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
>>
>>         Are you using the lock screen / logging in to your account?
>>
>>         On mine when I just tried exactly what you did (alt+f4 from the
>>         desktop,
>>         choose sleep, let it go to sleep, close the lid, open the lid),
>>         it comes
>>         up to the lock screen - although it didn't always announce
>> anything.
>>         When I logged in, it announced "pane" twice but that was all.
>>         So I got
>>         a couple of little gremlins, but different ones to you.
>>
>>         On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 7:36 AM, Don H <lmddh50@...
>>         <mailto:lmddh50@...>
>>         <mailto:lmddh50@... <mailto:lmddh50@...>>> wrote:
>>
>>             Running NVDA RC1 on a Win 10 laptop.  When I close the laptop
>>             normally first hit Alt F4 and then select sleep, let it go
>>         to sleep
>>             then shut the lid.  When I open the laptop later thus
>>         returning from
>>             sleep NVDA keeps repeating the name of the Icon in focus
>>         over and
>>             over.  Is this expected behavior?
>>             As I have already said as a newbee I am quite impressed by
>> NVDA.
>>

>>         --
>>         Quentin Christensen
>>         Training Material Developer
>>         Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now
>>         available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
>>
>>         Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
>>         <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
>>         Direct: +61 413 904 383 <tel:%2B61%20413%20904%20383>
>>         www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org>
>>         <http://www.nvaccess.org/>
>>         Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
>>         <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>
>>         Twitter: @NVAccess
>>

>> --
>> Quentin Christensen
>> Training Material Developer
>> Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now
>> available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
>>
>> Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
>> Direct: +61 413 904 383
>> www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org/>
>> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
>> Twitter: @NVAccess

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Gene

I'll add that embedded XP is a different version of XP, intended for use in running business equipment of various kinds.  The list members were correct.  Support for XP, the version of XP you are using, ended in 2014.  That's what you said ended in 2019 and that's what list members responded to.  If you had said embedded XP, you might have gotten different responses.  Or you might have gotten some of the same responses and questions about what you meant by embedded XP.  Most people don't think about embedded XP and a lot of people don't know about it.

I'm not making any judgment about whether using updates for Embedded Windows in another version of Windows XP will provide effective protection nor am I assuming that doing so will possibly impair the operation of Windows.  But I am pointing out that using these updates may not provide adequate protection and that doing so may impair the operation of Windows XP.

Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 3:03 AM

On 12/7/16, Don H <lmddh50@...> wrote:
> Started with RC1
>
> On 12/6/2016 4:48 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
>> That could be why mine is working differently.  I take it NVDA didn't
>> keep repeating the current icon before 2016.4rc1?
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 9:42 AM, Don H <lmddh50@...
>> <mailto:lmddh50@...>> wrote:
>>
>>     I don't require a password to open windows.  So when returning from
>>     sleep I am placed on the desktop.
>>
>>     On 12/6/2016 4:10 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
>>
>>         Are you using the lock screen / logging in to your account?
>>
>>         On mine when I just tried exactly what you did (alt+f4 from the
>>         desktop,
>>         choose sleep, let it go to sleep, close the lid, open the lid),
>>         it comes
>>         up to the lock screen - although it didn't always announce
>> anything.
>>         When I logged in, it announced "pane" twice but that was all.
>>         So I got
>>         a couple of little gremlins, but different ones to you.
>>
>>         On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 7:36 AM, Don H <lmddh50@...
>>         <mailto:lmddh50@...>
>>         <mailto:lmddh50@... <mailto:lmddh50@...>>> wrote:
>>
>>             Running NVDA RC1 on a Win 10 laptop.  When I close the laptop
>>             normally first hit Alt F4 and then select sleep, let it go
>>         to sleep
>>             then shut the lid.  When I open the laptop later thus
>>         returning from
>>             sleep NVDA keeps repeating the name of the Icon in focus
>>         over and
>>             over.  Is this expected behavior?
>>             As I have already said as a newbee I am quite impressed by
>> NVDA.
>>

>>         --
>>         Quentin Christensen
>>         Training Material Developer
>>         Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now
>>         available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
>>
>>         Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
>>         <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
>>         Direct: +61 413 904 383 <tel:%2B61%20413%20904%20383>
>>         www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org>
>>         <http://www.nvaccess.org/>
>>         Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
>>         <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>
>>         Twitter: @NVAccess
>>

>> --
>> Quentin Christensen
>> Training Material Developer
>> Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now
>> available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
>>
>> Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
>> Direct: +61 413 904 383
>> www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org/>
>> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
>> Twitter: @NVAccess

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

gene,
i use my laptop only at home and i dont work in business to use
supported windows for business!
whats the best version of windows for home users?

wrote:

[...]

Embedded Windows isn't used in computers in businesses.  It's used in machines like ATM's.

I would think that XP Professional would have been the version of XP generally used by businesses but that's just my guess.

Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 5:57 AM

On 12/7/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> I'll add that embedded XP is a different version of XP, intended for use in
> running business equipment of various kinds.  The list members were correct.
>  Support for XP, the version of XP you are using, ended in 2014.  That's
> what you said ended in 2019 and that's what list members responded to.  If
> you had said embedded XP, you might have gotten different responses.  Or you
> might have gotten some of the same responses and questions about what you
> meant by embedded XP.  Most people don't think about embedded XP and a lot
> of people don't know about it.
>
> I'm not making any judgment about whether using updates for Embedded Windows
> in another version of Windows XP will provide effective protection nor am I
> assuming that doing so will possibly impair the operation of Windows.  But I
> am pointing out that using these updates may not provide adequate protection
> and that doing so may impair the operation of Windows XP.
>
> Gene

Arlene

Hi, depending on what you want to do with windows. If you want to run a business from home using the internet. Then you should use windows ten. For instance if you are doing internet coding for blind computer users. Then you really should use current windows.

wrote:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

The point is the xp hack works by telling windows update that you have the embedded version and this still gets updates, or it did until this month.
Nothing thus far this month but there were about 14 updates last month so who knows.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

wrote:

[...]

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Brian

Yep it is still getting updates a mate installed it yesterday and he had
a huge list of updates it done including for this month.

Gene nz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene" <gsasner@ripco.com>