Topics

NVDA, my sound card, and frustration

Phillip Gross

Okay so I can’t claim this is just a NVDA issue because it seems to be both a jaws and NVDA issue since they’re both installed on my computer and both provide similar results. I sent this to the Jaws list as well so hopefully someone will have something.

My computer is only a few months old, replacing another just like still under warranty that crashed, which was bought in early 2018 when it was new. It is a Surface Book Pro, running windows 10 pro, 8 gigs of ram, I don’t remember what sound card off the top of my head.

I have a set of Bose Comfort Bluetooth headphones which can either be plugged in or used Bluetooth but plugged in makes them sound a little better and lengthens the battery time on them. When I have them plugged after an hour or so my screen reader will quit speaking. I unplug them and my computer begins speaking through the speakers. I plug them back in and it’s like the computer doesn’t realize that they are there and continues speaking through the laptop speakers. I have ruled out the headphones being the issue by trying to plug another pair in. At this point I am either stuck moving to Bluetooth or restarting the computer to get it to speak through the headphones.

My guess is that it’s probably a hardware issue but has anyone ever experienced this with a screen reader and if so what was your solution?

molly the blind tech lover

Hi.

I have a surface go. I experienced this issue when it was new, but the sound  would disappear entirely. Several software updates fixed this issue. However, it seems to be common with surface devices.

[...]

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

Are you planning on adding Microsoft disability support to your trouble shooting options?

******

character is found in how you treat people who cannot do anything for you!

[...]

Guess what microsoft, you lost me.

Thats one thing I will not be buying any time soon.

This hp has been rock solid bar the windows update screwup I had, and an enhancement driver I had to kill because it broke things, and a few other bits and bobs the majority of hp stuff has just worked.

On 26/10/2019 10:08 am, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

[...]

Thats a point, its a microsoft product so they should support it they make this product.

On 26/10/2019 11:27 am, Robert Doc Wright godfearer wrote:

[...]

Well mine’s fixed now, but it’s like the xbox 360. I remember reading that the xbox 360  contained parts from like, and I am not kidding here, 200  different manufacturers. The red ring of death . . . the graphics chip overheating . . . Microsoft does not have the greatest reputation when it comes to their own hardware.

[...]

I have used cheap bitsy computers before.

If you get a good builder like I had, then you can actually get a system that jells.

These days you just buy a generic upgrade box and assemble what you need extra.

You can go further if you have the cash, buy a case, and psu then buy the right storage and other upgrade kits and install them yourself.

I have also had to handle bitsy systems made by stuff that was going out of date.

They work but people make all sorts of adjustments to hide their shortcomings.

This approach will work, unless something fails or goes bad.

If it does depending what it is, chances are you won't be able to replace it or at least like for like.