Topics

Centova Cast

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

I had an enquiry from someone who uses Centova Cast for streaming radio hosting: http://www.centova.com/en/cast

They are having difficulty copying music across to the playlist.  A sighted user would click on a song and drag it across to the playlist.

Is anyone aware of a keystroke or a way to achieve this please?

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Shaun Oliver

there is no way to do this.

I too use sentovacast for one of my streams, and I've yet to find an accessible way to do this.

someone has already asked if it can be made accessible, and the developers said and I quote, we will look at implementing such a feature. quote unquote.

it's that attitude that drives me mad with developers, as they see it as a feature and not a necessity.

Sadly, we are a minority in the market and there really isn't a big enough market to accomodate us.

On 9/12/2016 08:30, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi everyone,

I had an enquiry from someone who uses Centova Cast for streaming radio hosting: http://www.centova.com/en/cast

They are having difficulty copying music across to the playlist.  A sighted user would click on a song and drag it across to the playlist.

Is anyone aware of a keystroke or a way to achieve this please?

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

Since you said you're using it (still), I take it there isn't a viable alternative software to recommend in its place?

But yes, that attitude is so frustrating.  It's not a feature we're asking for, it's a bug because your software doesn't work properly for all users...

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Shaun Oliver <blindman75@...> wrote:

[...]

yes, quite. I'm sure there are other alternatives, unfortunately, the provider I use, doesn't offer any. hense, I'm still stuck using it.

I do happen to have sighted help, but that's not the point.

On 9/12/2016 10:28, Quentin Christensen wrote:
[...]

I encouraged the user to write to Centova but maybe I'll make the effort as well - looks like they are the sort that will respond best to more people asking for something than because they should just do that something in the first place.

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Shaun Oliver <blindman75@...> wrote:

[...]

well, as a fellow developer, you may have better luck in at least having our case heard.

On 9/12/2016 10:41, Quentin Christensen wrote:
[...]

Well, I'll see what I can do - can't promise anything though!

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 11:12 AM, Shaun Oliver <blindman75@...> wrote:

[...]

Actually, you don't have any contact information for them do you please?  When I go to http://www.centova.com/en/support/contact there is a link to the support department, which then wants me to log in, but there is no option to create a login.  When I go to forgot password, it only wants the email I used to create my account in the first place... I assume you create an account when you buy the software...

I never trust companies who make it so hard to get in touch with them...

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 11:18 AM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:
[...]

Gene

That isn't a bug.  I'm all in favor of effective advocacy but that doesn't include arbitrarily changing the meaning of words.  If a program can't be used by all users, that is a lack of accessibility.  A bug is something that doesn't work as expected.  The program works as it should.  It is designed inaccessibly for this feature and it works exactly as designed.

Trying to change the meaning of a word in this way lowers credibility with those you are trying to persuade.

Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2016 5:58 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Centova Cast

[...]

Yes and no.  It's no less a problem with the way the existing feature set works than say if the software couldn't output to a particular brand of sound card.  The software was likely never tested with that sound card and hence the issue was never picked up.  Similarly, the software was never tested with keyboard only or screen reader users and hence the issue has never been picked up.

In both cases, it is not a new feature that is needed, but to make an existing feature work for a group of users it doesn't currently work for.

To say that one is a bug and one isn't is excusing the developers for not being aware of their users needs and the market in general.

Technically it might not be a "bug" in that it isn't causing an error message etc, but at the same time it isn't a "new" feature either, and it's important to be clear about that with the developer too.  If they see it as a new feature you want, then it's less of a priority than fixing any issues that prevent the existing feature set from working for all their users.

I think the most important thing really is to be clear on what the issue is and to be respectful - ie don't just go in and say "you're software is useless, fix it!" but rather explain the problem and why it is an issue.  Even though accessibility is being taught in courses these days, there are still plenty of developers who have no idea about it and going in all guns blazing will only get them offside, but they're the ones we need onside to fix the problem.

Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2016 5:58 PM

[...]

I have no quarrel with making the point that it isn't a feature.  But that's because accessibility is not a feature.  But calling something a bug when it isn't may cause resentment in the developer, I would think. If I were a developer, I don't think I would resent the argument that accessibility is not a feature.  I think I might resent something being called a bugg when it isn't because I take pride in what I develop and also I think I would be at least a little annoyed that someone was making a claim based on trying to redefine a word.  I doubt you would have told the developer the problem is a bug but I don't think it leads to clear thinking to make the argument anywhere.

Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2016 5:58 PM

[...]

This is exactly why we switched to WHMSonic. I had the exact same problem about 2 years ago. I can't believe this hasn't yet been addressed. Anyway, if you find out anything, do let us know.

Chris.

They are having difficulty copying music across to the playlist.  A sighted user would click on a song and drag it across to the playlist.

Is anyone aware of a keystroke or a way to achieve this please?

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

If the server they are running things on uses WHM/CPanel, and they have either root access, or at least VPS root or reseller root access, then I'd strongly suggest WHMSonic as an alternative. It is absolutely fantastic!

[...]

And yet another! reason I hate this company!

[...]

When did we say it was a bug?

Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2016 5:58 PM

[...]

Couldn't a said it better.

Chris.

Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2016 5:58 PM

[...]

A quote from Quentin's message quoted in this thread below mine:
it's a bug because your software doesn't work properly for all users...

Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2016 9:54 PM

When did we say it was a bug?

Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2016 5:58 PM

[...]

well, if you don't ask, you don't get. even if the answer is a politely worded no. lol.

On 9/12/2016 10:48, Quentin Christensen wrote:
[...]

no, unfortunately, I don't.

and this is something that niggles at me also. if there's no accessible way, that is to say easy way of contacting them, it makes it harder for those of us that would like to ask questions before we bite the bullet and sign up.

On 9/12/2016 10:51, Quentin Christensen wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Me too. They seem to forget that not everyone has a mouse and can use it.
I assume this is an online interface is it? Maybe it could be made to have an offline client that would work with normal windows short cut keys.

Until accessibility becomes a hanging offence if ignored we will continue with this sillyness I'm afraid.
tongue in cheek of course. I just feel that if something cannot be accomplished in a relatively easy way, such a site does not deserve my attention at all.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
Direct: +61 413 904 383
Twitter: @NVAccess