Topics

Development of a new braille display driver

Shyam Shah

Hi,
I am Shyam from India. I run an assistive technology company - Innovision. We are coming up with a braille display and need to develop a driver for the NVDA screen reader. Could anyone guide me to the right person for this job?

--
Thanks,

Shyam Shah
CEO & Co-founder INNOVISION

蔡宗豪 Victor Cai

Hi Shyam,
I'm not a Collaborator from NV Access.
Please check wiki page for more details.

AddingSupportForABrailleDisplay · nvaccess/nvda Wiki
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/AddingSupportForABrailleDisplay

Thanks.

--

Victor Cai

I am Shyam from India. I run an assistive technology company - Innovision.
We are coming up with a braille display and need to develop a driver for
the NVDA screen reader. Could anyone guide me to the right person for this
job?

--
Thanks,

Shyam Shah
CEO & Co-founder INNOVISION
www.innovisiontech.co

Buddy Brannan

Now you can't just say something like that and not tell us anything about said new braille display!

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: 814-860-3194

On Dec 9, 2016, at 1:19 AM, Shyam Shah <shyam.shah511@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,
I am Shyam from India. I run an assistive technology company - Innovision. We are coming up with a braille display and need to develop a driver for the NVDA screen reader. Could anyone guide me to the right person for this job?

--
Thanks,

Shyam Shah
CEO & Co-founder INNOVISION
www.innovisiontech.co

Shyam Shah

Hi,
It is a 20 cell display with a perkins braille keypad. It also has cursor routing buttons and a few other navigation keys. You can check out our website: www.innovisiontech.co

regards,

Shyam
CEO of Innovision

--
regards,

Shyam Shah
co-founder INNOVISION
CM-03, SINE
IIT bombay
contact :- +91-9619781346

David <trailerdavid@...>

Shyam,

Forgive me being ignorant.

Had a quick look on your website, but did end up still confused.

First of all, when is the Braille display scheduled for launched into the open market? Or, at least, what is your goal in this respect? - Not necessarily asking a specific date, but just to have a clue if this is something far into the future, or if you are rather close to a release.

Will this be a product only available in certain parts of the world, for a specified and defined group of blind people? Or, will anyone, from anywhere be allowed ordering?

I did check your "PREORDER" page. It asked me what price I would be willing to pay for the unit. Then it gave me a few choices - the highest being 25,000. Huh, 25 thousand what? Are we talking US dollars? In such a case 25 thousand US dollar, for a 20 cell display, would be totally out of dimensions. Would have been nice, had your info on the page, in clear-cut words, told us what currency we are talking, when to expect the development to be ready for release/Beta testing, and other relevant info.

Since I did not find any of this info readily available on the page, could you please come back and inform me - and the rest of the list members - the answers to these questions.

Thanks alot, and I do find it interesting to see new products hit the market. Too long, we have had too few actors in the industry, causing prices to hang on a level noone can afford from a normal budget. Welcome are good, reliable and fairly priced units, that could bring more accessibility to users around the globe.

David

--
regards,

Shyam Shah
co-founder INNOVISION
CM-03, SINE
IIT bombay
contact :- +91-9619781346

Buddy Brannan

For the person asking about currency, later down the list, it says "RS", which is the currency used in India. Just a sec and I'll get a currency conversion.

Google says that 25,000 Indian rupees = about $370.45 US dollars. That's hella cheap.

--

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 7:08 PM, Buddy Brannan <buddy@brannan.name> wrote:
[...]

Unless I'm wrong, I have a suspicion that this is Indian version of Orbit
Reader 20. If so, the braille display driver will be included in NVDA
2016.4.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Not if it has cursor routing keys it isn't! It also says something about audio on their page. So...maybe a souped up Orbit? Maybe it uses the same cells? Details are rather light.

--

On Dec 10, 2016, at 10:03 AM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

mk360

yeah! is an interesting project, but I need more info! what about distribution to other countries? is equivalent to an other display like joseph says?

El 10/12/2016 a las 12:05, Buddy Brannan escribió:
[...]

Hello everyone,

@David, - really sorry for the incomplete info on website. But let me assure you, this is for real. We have tested the device with Perkins, NfB and NBP from US and lots of other institutes in India. We are working on getting our product into manufacturing and are expected to launch in May-June internationally. It is a global product, and not restricted to any region. On the pricing front, it will be in the range of 370-450 USD depending on taxes.

@Joseph - The outlook might be the same as Orbit but inside it is really different. One of the biggest difference is in refresh rate where our device is 3X faster than Orbit. It is based on a completely different technology which can be extended into a 20 cell, 40 cell and even a multi-line display. And we are committed to bringing them to the market.

Hope this answers some of your questions. Also if anyone knows any guy who could help us on the driver front, do let me know.

Thanks,

Shyam

Devin Prater

Hmm. Joseph Lee did the braille note driver didn't you, Joseph? If so, you may be able to help them.

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 8:14 AM Shyam Shah <shyam.shah511@...> wrote:

[...]

r.d.t.prater@...

Hi,

This clears up a lot of confusion…

If you are going to use a proprietary protocol, then right to me offlist so I can connect you to the right guy for this job (it won’t be me, but there is a colleague of mine who is in charge of looking into braille support and he needs tech specs and protocol documentation from you). If you are going to use standard protocols such as Baum, then no need for a driver, as NVDA will support Baum Escape protocol (this protocol supports APH Refreshabraille 18, Humanware’s Braille Connect, Brailiant, Baum Supervario series, Orbit with an update and so on).

For other community members: writing a braille display driver is a hard yet fruitful process. This involves talking to display manufacturers, looking into their protocol documentation, contacting those who are using or plan to use the device, weeks of testing and validation by the community, and continuous maintenance once it makes its appearance as part of a NVDA release. As for my work, I am responsible for investigating NVDA’s support for BrailleNote family – recently, I worked on adding support for scroll wheel on Apex BT and letting QT users use their keyboard for navigation purposes, and I will not upgrade to a BrailleNote Touch until braille display output support from various screen readers is stable.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

My job was to enhance what was out there already - Rui Batista from Portugal, one of the men who brought you Vocalizer driver, is responsible for bringing BrailleNote support to life a long time ago. The colleague of mine I refered to in another email is James Teh, one of the led developers who works on braille support and have worked on Orbit Reader 20 support for a few months.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing all that up.