about nvda and selection of documents:

hello every one.
one of my friends uses windows seven with nvda 16.3
when wantes to select documents in wordpad and notepad, with shift
down arrow key, nvda says nothing about the document and also its
selection.
i mean in this case, nvda does not say anything.
but the mozilla firefox and selection

works good as normal.
whats the prublem and whats the solution?--
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

My guess is that the views used are not the same. I'm assuming you mean when you want to open a file?

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

one of my friends uses windows seven with nvda 16.3
when wantes to select documents in wordpad and notepad, with shift
down arrow key, nvda says nothing about the document and also its
selection.
i mean in this case, nvda does not say anything.
but the mozilla firefox and selection

works good as normal.
whats the prublem and whats the solution?--
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

yes.
after openning files in wordpad and notepad, with shift+down, nvda says nothing.

On 12/11/16, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
My guess is that the views used are not the same. I'm assuming you mean
when you want to open a file?

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
one of my friends uses windows seven with nvda 16.3
when wantes to select documents in wordpad and notepad, with shift
down arrow key, nvda says nothing about the document and also its
selection.
i mean in this case, nvda does not say anything.
but the mozilla firefox and selection

works good as normal.
whats the prublem and whats the solution?--
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Dejan Ristic

Have you tried restarting NVDA while a document is open? Do you have a document maximized when selecting a piece of text?

On 12/11/2016 11:22 AM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
[...]

no.
without starting nvda and document maximize.

On 12/11/16, Dejan Ristic <r.dejan83@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

the problem is only with windows notepad and .txt document.

On 12/11/16, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Gene

It has become apparent that your Windows installation may have minor problems.  Have you verified that text is being selected at all?  If you move down in a document with shift down arrow and then use the read clipboard command what do you hear?  The command is NVDA key c.

Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2016 4:22 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] about nvda and selection of documents:

yes.
after openning files in wordpad and notepad, with shift+down, nvda says nothing.

> My guess is that the views used  are not the same. I'm assuming you mean
> when you want to open a file?
>
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal email to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.

Then it isn't with Wordpad? You originally said it was with both. That makes me suspect that something is wrong with how Windows is working with notepad or with notepad itself.

I need to add more information to my last message.  After you try to select text with shift down arrow, you nee to copy it to the clipboard, control c, before trying the read clipboard command I gave.

If Notepad isn't selecting text but Wordpad is, you may want to open text files in Wordpad where you want to select in this way.  Also, you haven't said anything about what happens when you select in other ways.  What happens if you use shift and right arrow to move and select by character?

Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2016 6:42 AM

On 12/11/16, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:
> no.
> without starting nvda and document maximize.
>
> On 12/11/16, Dejan Ristic <r.dejan83@...> wrote:
>> Have you tried restarting NVDA while a document is open? Do you have a
>> document maximized when selecting a piece of text?
>>

>> On 12/11/2016 11:22 AM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
>>> yes.
>>> after openning files in wordpad and notepad, with shift+down, nvda says
>>> nothing.

in normal selection, nvda does not read the document.
but after selection and making copy from it, with nvda+c, nvda reads
the selection which we copy.

[...]

Now we know that the problem is just in what NVDA announces and that selection is taking place.  But I have no solution and would recommend opening text documents where you want to select in Wordpad.

Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2016 7:30 AM

On 12/11/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> It has become apparent that your Windows installation may have minor
> problems.  Have you verified that text is being selected at all?  If you
> move down in a document with shift down arrow and then use the read
> clipboard command what do you hear?  The command is NVDA key c.
>
> Gene

Try pressing: control plus alt plus N to restart NVDA while a document is open, and then try selecting apiece of text by the key combination of shift plus arrow down.

On 12/11/2016 1:22 PM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
[...]

Let me join you, please!

I have just checked both Notepad and Ted Notepad. I encounter the same thing. But, when I select character by character, and word by word, it is spoken, which means that NVDA is silent only when I press shift plus down arrow.

Let me ask you to accept my suggestion.

Jarte, being a text editor, works great as far as text selection is concerned. Find it at:

www.jarte.com

On 12/11/2016 2:30 PM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
[...]

I have no objection to using JARTE but if the only thing wanted is to select in this way, Wordpad is already on the machine.  JARTE is an enhanced version of Wordpad, it uses the same basic code.  And neither JARTE nor Wordpad are text editors.  They are word processors.  But you can work with text files in either one.

Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2016 11:50 AM

Let me join you, please!

I have just checked both Notepad and Ted Notepad. I encounter the same
thing. But, when I select character by character, and word by word, it
is spoken, which means that NVDA is silent only when I press shift plus
down arrow.

Let me ask you to accept my suggestion.

Jarte, being a text editor, works great as far as text selection is
concerned. Find it at:

www.jarte.com

On 12/11/2016 2:30 PM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
> in normal selection, nvda does not read the document.
> but after selection  and making copy from it, with nvda+c, nvda reads
> the selection which we copy.
>
> On 12/11/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
>> It has become apparent that your Windows installation may have minor
>> problems.  Have you verified that text is being selected at all?  If you
>> move down in a document with shift down arrow and then use the read
>> clipboard command what do you hear?  The command is NVDA key c.
>>
>> Gene

Brice Mijares

Jarte is a better choice if you don't like ribbons and it can do a lot more than wordpad.

www.jarte.com <http://www.jarte.com>

<mailto:bglists@blueyonder.co.uk>> wrote:
My guess is that the views used are not the same. I'm assuming you mean
when you want to open a file?

Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk>, putting
'Brian Gaff'
one of my friends uses windows seven with nvda 16.3
when wantes to select documents in wordpad and notepad, with shift
down arrow key, nvda says nothing about the document and also its
selection.
i mean in this case, nvda does not say anything.
but the mozilla firefox and selection

works good as normal.
whats the prublem and whats the solution?--
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

David Moore

Hi,

I can use all of the Windows commands to select, copy, and paste text with Notepad and Wordpad. I am using win10 1607 version with JAWS 18 and NVDA 2016.3, and all of this works for me with both screen readers. I just wanted you to know.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2016 6:42 AM

the problem is only with windows notepad and .txt document.

On 12/11/16, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:
> no.
> without starting nvda and document maximize.
>
> On 12/11/16, Dejan Ristic <r.dejan83@...> wrote:
>> Have you tried restarting NVDA while a document is open? Do you have a
>> document maximized when selecting a piece of text?
>>

>> On 12/11/2016 11:22 AM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
>>> yes.
>>> after openning files in wordpad and notepad, with shift+down, nvda says
>>> nothing.

Quentin Christensen

Running Windows 7 Home Premium with NVDA 2016.3.  I can open Notepad, open a document (I wasn't sure about the original phrasing of "selecting documents", I thought maybe it meant in the file open / save dialog.  I worked out I think it meant selecting text in a document).

Everything reads as expected.  The only thing that doesn't read is if I try and press SHIFT+DOWN ARROW from the very bottom line in the file.  This is the way NotePad works however, rather than a flaw in NVDA.  It doesn't move down a line from the bottom line, therefore it doesn't select anything, therefore nothing happens and NVDA doesn't report anything.  To select the entire file, including the last line, do one of the following:

- Press control+a - this selects the entire text.
- When on the last line, press shift+end - this selects to the end of the current line.
- To select from the current point to the end of the file, press shift+control+end.  This selects from the current point to the end of the document.

Replace end with home in those last two commands to select from the current point to the start of the line or document as appropriate.

Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is if something else has stolen focus and shift+down arrow doesn't do anything in that other program?  In that case, press NVDA+T to read the title bar, or NVDA+tab to read the current control with focus.  In Notepad NVDA+T will read "filename - notepad" - where filename is the name of the current file.  In Notepad, NVDA+TAB will read "Edit, multiline focussed", then either the selected text, or the current line.

Kind regards

Quentin.

Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2016 6:42 AM

the problem is only with windows notepad and .txt document.

On 12/11/16, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:
> no.
> without starting nvda and document maximize.
>
> On 12/11/16, Dejan Ristic <r.dejan83@...> wrote:
>> Have you tried restarting NVDA while a document is open? Do you have a
>> document maximized when selecting a piece of text?
>>

>> On 12/11/2016 11:22 AM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
>>> yes.
>>> after openning files in wordpad and notepad, with shift+down, nvda says
>>> nothing.

Training Material Developer

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

hi dejan and gene.
thanks so much for your guide about jarte.
does jarte support microsoft office formats?
can it open very large documents?
can i read docx and save my documents as docx with jarte?
i realy wish to use it and i hate from ribbon.
but unfortunately currently, it does not support unicode! and i cant
use my documents which are in farsi!
i sent email for developers and request inclusion of unicode.
and they mentioned, that it needs a very big change in the core of
program and also we have many requests about unicode except you.
when it can supports unicode, can i replace it with any office program
microsoft office, libreoffice and openoffice?
does it handle my basic needs and does it have support for microsoft
different formats?

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 12:02 PM, David Moore <jesusloves1966@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi,

I can use all of the Windows commands to select, copy, and paste text
with
Notepad and Wordpad. I am using win10 1607 version with JAWS 18 and NVDA
2016.3, and all of this works for me with both screen readers. I just
wanted you to know.

David Moore

Windows 10

one of my friends uses windows seven with nvda 16.3
when wantes to select documents in wordpad and notepad, with shift
down arrow key, nvda says nothing about the document and also its
selection.
i mean in this case, nvda does not say anything.
but the mozilla firefox and selection

works good as normal.
whats the prublem and whats the solution?--
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

hi every one.
thanks so much for your helping and sharing your experience with me.
hello quentin!
thanks extremely for your help too!
yes, the problem is only with notepad and selection of lines with
shift+down arrow key.

wrote:

[...]

It does though it has issues in the next branch, but its an rtf editor like wordpad. Both the ones mentioned are plain text editors. Notepad and several other versions of it have had some odd effects when used with screenreaders for selecting text back since XP days. I'm not sure what particulr problem is bing talked about here, but I suspect its to do with the field types used by these editors not truly conforming to hat is expected.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

one of my friends uses windows seven with nvda 16.3
when wantes to select documents in wordpad and notepad, with shift
down arrow key, nvda says nothing about the document and also its
selection.
i mean in this case, nvda does not say anything.
but the mozilla firefox and selection

works good as normal.
whats the prublem and whats the solution?--
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Dejan Ristic

I am sure that it opens TXT documents. It opens large documents, too. As to the rest of your questions, explore Jarte, so that you may be able to find out whether it will meet your requirements.

There is one more thing about the programme:

When you wish to open a document, without intending to make changes to the document, you can choose a mode called Read only, which can be checked and/or unchecked by pressing the space bar.

How to find that option?

When you open the Jarte programme, hit control plus O to bring up the standard open dialogue pane. Then press tab around till you hear Read only checkbox not checked. If you wish to read without editing, check it, so that it may be read only. I like the option so much.

You can also use Jarte to export documents in HTML and in some other formats.

What is missing in Jarte?

You cannot read tables in Jarte.

But, if you know that they exist in your documents, try exporting them into HTML, so that either Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox can do the job for you.

www.jarte.com