Topics

How to Use NVDA Addons

David Griffith

I am very grateful to the developers of NVDA  Add Ons but could I make an appeal  for greater clarity in instructions on using the Add Ons?

If I am not looking in the right place for instruction then please inform me but it is not obvious and several addon features remain obscure to me.

Too often I install an Add On and find no clue on how it operates.

For example I installed the Append Text Add on  to NVDA yesterday and cannot find any instructions anywhere on how to use it.

On the various Add on web sites the function of the addon is described but none indicate how to use it.

Consulting the Add on manager and hitting the about addon manager also does not reveal any instructions on how to use it.

Various Google Searches under the app name and the developer name have also failed to achieve any result.

I may be ignorant  of the proper procedure but it would seem to me good practice to include some brief instuctions on how to use the Addon both on the Actual addon download site and under the Addon About dialogue in the NVDA Add on Manager.

Sometimes a website address is announced in the Addon About dialogue but I can find no way of activating that link or copying it from the about dialogue, even using the speech copy addon only results in OK being copied to the clipboard. So unless you have fantastic powers of memory and good hearing, I have neither, even if a website address is announced in the Addon about  dialogue it is difficulkt to access.

As I say  I am grateful to those who make the effrort to develop Add ons but surely it is a bit of a waste of the developer’s effort creating the addon if you do not advise your users on how to use them.

David Griffith

Roger Stewart

A correctly written add on should contain its own help file which should be available by highlighting it in the add ons under nvda menu, tools, manage add ons.  Just select the add on and then tab around until you hear add on help.  This should explain all you need to know.

Roger

On 12/10/2016 4:56 PM, David Griffith wrote:

[...]

Gene

You evidently don't know how to use the copy text feature that wirks with review commands.  Do you know the review commands such as numpad 4 for previous word, numpad 5 for current word and numpad 6 for next word?  Numpad 7, 8, and 9 move by line, previous, current and next respectively.  The same with numpad 2 1 and 3 but they move by character.
Move to the start of the first item you want to select.  Press insert f9.  Then move to the end of the last item you want to copy and, I believe the command is f10 pressed rapidly twice to copy the material to the clip board.

As for instructions for add ons, I haven't used enough add ons to comment except to ask the following question.
Are you finding this problem with add ons on the official NVDA add ons page or only on unsupported add ons?  Unsupported add ons are not reviewed by the NVDA add on approvers and there is no monitoring of what the developers do.