Topics

Deleted file recovery software

Chris Mullins

Hi

Does anyone know of any software that will recover files deleted with shift+del that are screen reader accessible and will run under Windows 10?

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

       I can't swear to accessibility on this particular program, but others by the same maker (e.g. CCleaner) are.  Have a look at Piriform.com and their Recuva utility.  It's free and you've got nothing to lose but a few minutes time by trying it.  In the case of deleted files that bypassed the Recycle Bin or have been emptied from it, the sooner you try to recover them the better.

 Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

         ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Gene

I don't know how well Recuva works for most people.  I have had little success with it though there's no harm in trying.

However, if the files were on your machine at the time a restore point was made, if you are using the default settings, the files will be retained by shadow copy.  I won't go into how to find them in this message because I don't know how long they were on the drive nor do I know if you have System Restore active. I also don't know if the procedure is the same as mine since I don't know what version of Windows you are using.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 12:32 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Deleted file recovery software

Chris,

       I can't swear to accessibility on this particular program, but others by the same maker (e.g. CCleaner) are.  Have a look at Piriform.com and their Recuva utility.  It's free and you've got nothing to lose but a few minutes time by trying it.  In the case of deleted files that bypassed the Recycle Bin or have been emptied from it, the sooner you try to recover them the better.

 Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

         ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Felix G.

Hello,
Recuva was accessible at the time I used it some years ago.
Any write operation now has the potential to clobber that file, so you better download the portable version to a thumb drive using another machine then run it.
Kind regards,
Felix Grützmacher

Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 12:32 PM

Chris,

       I can't swear to accessibility on this particular program, but others by the same maker (e.g. CCleaner) are.  Have a look at Piriform.com and their Recuva utility.  It's free and you've got nothing to lose but a few minutes time by trying it.  In the case of deleted files that bypassed the Recycle Bin or have been emptied from it, the sooner you try to recover them the better.

 Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

         ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Chris Mullins

Thanks for the info re Piriform Recuva.  It’s a friend of mine who’s accidentally deleted some files.  I’ve downloaded the portable version for her and also loaded the desktop version on my own machine.  I’ve had a quick look at the interface and initial impressions re accessibility are very favourable.  I’ll report back when she has tried the recovery.

Cheers

Chris

Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 12:32 PM

Chris,

       I can't swear to accessibility on this particular program, but others by the same maker (e.g. CCleaner) are.  Have a look at Piriform.com and their Recuva utility.  It's free and you've got nothing to lose but a few minutes time by trying it.  In the case of deleted files that bypassed the Recycle Bin or have been emptied from it, the sooner you try to recover them the better.

 Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

         ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

hi.
download recuva
its very accessible and has wizart to teach you how to use it.
also you can try shadow explorer which works with windows vista and later.
www.piriform.com/recuva
www.shadowexplorer.com/
From time to time, Windows Vista / 7 / 8 creates point-in-time copies
of your files. This allows you to retrieve older versions from files
you accidentally deleted or altered. This service is turned on by
default on all versions of Windows Vista/7, but Microsoft grants
access to these copies only in Ultimate, Business, and Enterprise
editions. This is where ShadowExplorer comes into play.

ShadowExplorer
Since the Volume Shadow Copy Service is included, and turned on by
default, in all editions of Windows Vista / 7 / 8, why not take
advantage of it? All it takes is an additional tool like
ShadowExplorer, that can access the shadow storage and make the
point-in-time copies accessible to the user.
Features
•Show available point-in-time copies
•Browse through Shadow Copies
•Retrieve versions of files and folders
Limitations
Shadow Copies and ShadowExplorer are in no way a replacement for
regular backups! This is very important and can't be stressed enough.
A Shadow Copy is kept on the same disc as the original data. In case
of a disc failure all data is lost, including the Shadow Copies.
ShadowExplorer is a good addition to regular backups, but not a
replacement.

-

On 12/15/16, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Gene

I don't know who says you need a third party utility to see the old files.  That is not true.  it may be easier to use the utility to get access but I can open the old version of any folder and see all the files.  I'd have to review the interface to see just how this is done, but I was able to copy a file to the current folder.  That is in Windows 7 home.  It would be completely illogical for Microsoft to have Shadow Copy and make it inaccessible to users of this or that version of Windows.

If a statement is made by someone, a program designer, or just someone discussing something, it should be treated skeptically.

Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 9:26 PM

hi.
download recuva
its very accessible and has wizart to teach you how to use it.
also you can try shadow explorer which works with windows vista and later.
www.piriform.com/recuva
www.shadowexplorer.com/
From time to time, Windows Vista / 7 / 8 creates point-in-time copies

On 12/15/16, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:
> Thanks for the info re Piriform Recuva.  It’s a friend of mine who’s
> accidentally deleted some files.  I’ve downloaded the portable version for
> her and also loaded the desktop version on my own machine.  I’ve had a quick
> look at the interface and initial impressions re accessibility are very
> favourable.  I’ll report back when she has tried the recovery.
>

> Cheers
>
> Chris

hi gene.
i copied the informations from the owner of the softwares.
i became very sad to read shadow explorer supports only ultimate,
proffessional and enterprize users of windows, not home users.
whats the different between windows previous versions and shadow copies?

[...]

Previous versions is a way to see the copies of files kept by Shadow copy.  I don't know how the means of seeing previous versions may differ from one version of Windows to another.  In Windows 7, I either found it by right clicking a folder containing a file and looking for an item named previous versions, or I found it by opening the properties of the folder.  I'm not sure now but I believe it is found by right clicking and looking through the context menu.

Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2016 3:56 AM

On 12/15/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> I don't know who says you need a third party utility to see the old files.
> That is not true.  it may be easier to use the utility to get access but I
> can open the old version of any folder and see all the files.  I'd have to
> review the interface to see just how this is done, but I was able to copy a
> file to the current folder.  That is in Windows 7 home.  It would be
> completely illogical for Microsoft to have Shadow Copy and make it
> inaccessible to users of this or that version of Windows.
>
> If a statement is made by someone, a program designer, or just someone
> discussing something, it should be treated skeptically.
>
> Gene

You are correct about Vista not making Shadow Copy available to home users except by using a third party utility.  This makes no sense but that's how it is.  But Windows 7 has no such restrictions and all versions allow the user to recover files working directly with the old versions interface.
From Wikipedia:
The "Previous Versions" feature is available in the Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions of Windows Vista[15] and in all Windows 7 editions. The Home Editions of Vista lack the "Previous Versions" feature, even though the Volume Snapshot Service is included and running. Using third-party tools it is still possible to restore previous versions of files on the local volume.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy

Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 9:26 PM

hi.
download recuva
its very accessible and has wizart to teach you how to use it.
also you can try shadow explorer which works with windows vista and later.
www.piriform.com/recuva
www.shadowexplorer.com/
From time to time, Windows Vista / 7 / 8 creates point-in-time copies
of your files. This allows you to retrieve older versions from files
you accidentally deleted or altered. This service is turned on by
default on all versions of Windows Vista/7, but Microsoft grants
access to these copies only in Ultimate, Business, and Enterprise
editions. This is where ShadowExplorer comes into play.

ShadowExplorer
Since the Volume Shadow Copy Service is included, and turned on by
default, in all editions of Windows Vista / 7 / 8, why not take
advantage of it? All it takes is an additional tool like
ShadowExplorer, that can access the shadow storage and make the
point-in-time copies accessible to the user.
Features
•Show available point-in-time copies
•Browse through Shadow Copies
•Retrieve versions of files and folders
Limitations
Shadow Copies and ShadowExplorer are in no way a replacement for
regular backups! This is very important and can't be stressed enough.
A Shadow Copy is kept on the same disc as the original data. In case
of a disc failure all data is lost, including the Shadow Copies.
ShadowExplorer is a good addition to regular backups, but not a
replacement.

-

On 12/15/16, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:
> Thanks for the info re Piriform Recuva.  It’s a friend of mine who’s
> accidentally deleted some files.  I’ve downloaded the portable version for
> her and also loaded the desktop version on my own machine.  I’ve had a quick
> look at the interface and initial impressions re accessibility are very
> favourable.  I’ll report back when she has tried the recovery.
>

> Cheers
>
> Chris

thanks extremely for your great informations.
and how about windows xp?
is it realy possible to use this feature on xp?

You are correct about Vista not making Shadow Copy available to home users
except by using a third party utility. This makes no sense but that's how
it is. But Windows 7 has no such restrictions and all versions allow the
user to recover files working directly with the old versions interface.
From Wikipedia:

Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2016 4:53 AM