Reinstalling Windows 10

Doug Lawlor

Hello all,

I know there are more appropriate   lists I should be posting this on but I need an answer as soon as I can get one.

I have a Windows 10 laptop that is totally unusable and need to install Windows 10 from a working image I have on a USB drive. How can I restart Windows into Safe mode where I can do this? I'm getting program Manager not responding from NVDA so I know there is a problem where a reinstall of Windows would be the best option. It would be really wonderful if one could install Windows without sited assistance but that's still not possible as far as I'm aware.

Thanks,

Doug

Douglas Lawlor

Chris

Have you tried recoverying it through the settings app?

Doug,

          Have you considered using the Reset function under the Update & Security Settings, Recovery Pane?   It wipes the existing Win10 installation and completely reinstalls the operating system but you can choose whether to keep your files (or at least the vast majority of them) or to start with an entirely clean slate.  I never resort to an actual clean reinstallation of Windows 10 from external media until and unless a Reset has not solved the problem.

 Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

         ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Doug Lawlor

Hello Brian,
I would do this if I could, but I cannot use the system at all in it's current state. It is taking minutes for NVDA to respond to a command which should normally take milliseconds. I just don't know what to do here. I've got no sited assistance to help me which makes this problem that much more frustrating.

Doug

Douglas Lawlor

On Dec 15, 2016, at 1:29 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Doug,

          Have you considered using the Reset function under the Update & Security Settings, Recovery Pane?   It wipes the existing Win10 installation and completely reinstalls the operating system but you can choose whether to keep your files (or at least the vast majority of them) or to start with an entirely clean slate.  I never resort to an actual clean reinstallation of Windows 10 from external media until and unless a Reset has not solved the problem.

 Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

         ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Chris

Use narrator instead of nvda until you reset it

Or whatever you need to do

Well you can try a reset, to be honest though it may be time to just take your box to a shop and ask them to reformat it for you.
I still am a firm believer that a box should run the system it was designed for for best performance.
So if you ran xp on it it should run that or 7 well you get the picture.
I'd actually be wandering if you either have a virus or something or simply that your hardwre has issues and it may do.

Email: douglawlor@me.com

On Dec 15, 2016, at 1:29 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@gmail.com> wrote:

Doug,

Have you considered using the Reset function under the Update & Security Settings, Recovery Pane? It wipes the existing Win10 installation and completely reinstalls the operating system but you can choose whether to keep your files (or at least the vast majority of them) or to start with an entirely clean slate. I never resort to an actual clean reinstallation of Windows 10 from external media until and unless a Reset has not solved the problem.

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Gene

I don't know enough to advise you about using an accessible reinstallation environment.  There are installation environments developed evidently by some blind users that allow you to run enough of Windows from an external source to then reinstall Windows.  they also load a screen-reader from their files, as far as I know, NVDA.  But I don't know enough about this to tell you more.  No one has said anything about this in the discussion.  perhaps they will now.

but you will have to be able to boot from whatever medium you are using, such as a thumb drive and I have no idea what sources the computer currently looks at when booting.

gene
Well you can try a reset, to be honest though it may be time to just
take your box to a shop and ask them to reformat it for you.
I still am a firm believer that a box should run the system it was
designed for for best performance.
So if you ran xp on it it should run that or 7 well you get the picture.
I'd actually be wandering if you either have a virus or something or
simply that your hardwre has issues and it may do.

On 16/12/2016 7:33 a.m., Douglas Lawlor wrote:
> Hello Brian,
> I would do this if I could, but I cannot use the system at all in it's current state. It is taking minutes for NVDA to respond to a command which should normally take milliseconds. I just don't know what to do here. I've got no sited assistance to help me which makes this problem that much more frustrating.
>
> Doug
>

> Douglas Lawlor
> Email: douglawlor@...
>

>> On Dec 15, 2016, at 1:29 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
>>
>> Doug,
>>
>>           Have you considered using the Reset function under the Update & Security Settings, Recovery Pane?   It wipes the existing Win10 installation and completely reinstalls the operating system but you can choose whether to keep your files (or at least the vast majority of them) or to start with an entirely clean slate.  I never resort to an actual clean reinstallation of Windows 10 from external media until and unless a Reset has not solved the problem.
>> --
>> Brian
>>
>>  Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.
>>
>>          ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Doug Lawlor

I've got someone to help me fix it. It is just so frustrating when these things happen and you are down for a day until you can get someone to help you.

Doug

Douglas Lawlor

On Dec 15, 2016, at 9:00 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

I don't know enough to advise you about using an accessible reinstallation environment.  There are installation environments developed evidently by some blind users that allow you to run enough of Windows from an external source to then reinstall Windows.  they also load a screen-reader from their files, as far as I know, NVDA.  But I don't know enough about this to tell you more.  No one has said anything about this in the discussion.  perhaps they will now.

but you will have to be able to boot from whatever medium you are using, such as a thumb drive and I have no idea what sources the computer currently looks at when booting.

gene
Well you can try a reset, to be honest though it may be time to just
take your box to a shop and ask them to reformat it for you.
I still am a firm believer that a box should run the system it was
designed for for best performance.
So if you ran xp on it it should run that or 7 well you get the picture.
I'd actually be wandering if you either have a virus or something or
simply that your hardwre has issues and it may do.

On 16/12/2016 7:33 a.m., Douglas Lawlor wrote:
> Hello Brian,
> I would do this if I could, but I cannot use the system at all in it's current state. It is taking minutes for NVDA to respond to a command which should normally take milliseconds. I just don't know what to do here. I've got no sited assistance to help me which makes this problem that much more frustrating.
>
> Doug
>

> Douglas Lawlor
> Email: douglawlor@...
>

>> On Dec 15, 2016, at 1:29 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
>>
>> Doug,
>>
>>           Have you considered using the Reset function under the Update & Security Settings, Recovery Pane?   It wipes the existing Win10 installation and completely reinstalls the operating system but you can choose whether to keep your files (or at least the vast majority of them) or to start with an entirely clean slate.  I never resort to an actual clean reinstallation of Windows 10 from external media until and unless a Reset has not solved the problem.
>> --
>> Brian
>>
>>  Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.
>>
>>          ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Doug Lawlor

I have a Toshiba C70 here. Are you saying that there is an accessible way to do this with a Toshiba?

Thanks,

Doug

Douglas Lawlor

On Dec 15, 2016, at 9:07 PM, Douglas Lawlor <douglawlor@...> wrote:

I've got someone to help me fix it. It is just so frustrating when these things happen and you are down for a day until you can get someone to help you.

Doug

Douglas Lawlor

On Dec 15, 2016, at 9:00 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

I don't know enough to advise you about using an accessible reinstallation environment.  There are installation environments developed evidently by some blind users that allow you to run enough of Windows from an external source to then reinstall Windows.  they also load a screen-reader from their files, as far as I know, NVDA.  But I don't know enough about this to tell you more.  No one has said anything about this in the discussion.  perhaps they will now.

but you will have to be able to boot from whatever medium you are using, such as a thumb drive and I have no idea what sources the computer currently looks at when booting.

gene
Well you can try a reset, to be honest though it may be time to just
take your box to a shop and ask them to reformat it for you.
I still am a firm believer that a box should run the system it was
designed for for best performance.
So if you ran xp on it it should run that or 7 well you get the picture.
I'd actually be wandering if you either have a virus or something or
simply that your hardwre has issues and it may do.

On 16/12/2016 7:33 a.m., Douglas Lawlor wrote:
> Hello Brian,
> I would do this if I could, but I cannot use the system at all in it's current state. It is taking minutes for NVDA to respond to a command which should normally take milliseconds. I just don't know what to do here. I've got no sited assistance to help me which makes this problem that much more frustrating.
>
> Doug
>

> Douglas Lawlor
> Email: douglawlor@...
>

>> On Dec 15, 2016, at 1:29 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
>>
>> Doug,
>>
>>           Have you considered using the Reset function under the Update & Security Settings, Recovery Pane?   It wipes the existing Win10 installation and completely reinstalls the operating system but you can choose whether to keep your files (or at least the vast majority of them) or to start with an entirely clean slate.  I never resort to an actual clean reinstallation of Windows 10 from external media until and unless a Reset has not solved the problem.
>> --
>> Brian
>>
>>  Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.
>>
>>          ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

the package Gene is talking about can be found off my nvda tutorials for other programs page at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/nvda%20tutorials%20for%20other%20programs.html

The heading you are looking for is Windows 10 PE (Preinstallation Environment) enabling independent Windows installation for blind users

usually your first boot device is a Cd so if a CD version is done you should be right. otherwise if your pc supports usb boot and it is set you can do it that way, but usually not set in a bios.

Gene nz

On 16/12/2016 3:00 PM, Gene wrote:
I don't know enough to advise you about using an accessible reinstallation environment.  There are installation environments developed evidently by some blind users that allow you to run enough of Windows from an external source to then reinstall Windows.  they also load a screen-reader from their files, as far as I know, NVDA.  But I don't know enough about this to tell you more.  No one has said anything about this in the discussion.  perhaps they will now.

but you will have to be able to boot from whatever medium you are using, such as a thumb drive and I have no idea what sources the computer currently looks at when booting.

gene
Well you can try a reset, to be honest though it may be time to just
take your box to a shop and ask them to reformat it for you.
I still am a firm believer that a box should run the system it was
designed for for best performance.
So if you ran xp on it it should run that or 7 well you get the picture.
I'd actually be wandering if you either have a virus or something or
simply that your hardwre has issues and it may do.

On 16/12/2016 7:33 a.m., Douglas Lawlor wrote:
> Hello Brian,
> I would do this if I could, but I cannot use the system at all in it's current state. It is taking minutes for NVDA to respond to a command which should normally take milliseconds. I just don't know what to do here. I've got no sited assistance to help me which makes this problem that much more frustrating.
>
> Doug
>

> Douglas Lawlor
> Email: douglawlor@...
>

>> On Dec 15, 2016, at 1:29 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
>>
>> Doug,
>>
>>           Have you considered using the Reset function under the Update & Security Settings, Recovery Pane?   It wipes the existing Win10 installation and completely reinstalls the operating system but you can choose whether to keep your files (or at least the vast majority of them) or to start with an entirely clean slate.  I never resort to an actual clean reinstallation of Windows 10 from external media until and unless a Reset has not solved the problem.
>> --
>> Brian
>>
>>  Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.
>>
>>          ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Doug Lawlor

HI Gene,

Thank you for this. I have an image that I made using the backup option in the control panel. I forget what the actual name of the system utility I used but I think it was Windows backup. Can I use your environment to restore this type of an image?

Thanks again,

Doug

Douglas Lawlor

On Dec 15, 2016, at 9:16 PM, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

> [...]

> Doug
>

> Douglas Lawlor
> Email: douglawlor@...
>

>> On Dec 15, 2016, at 1:29 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
>>
>> Doug,
>>
>>           Have you considered using the Reset function under the Update & Security Settings, Recovery Pane?   It wipes the existing Win10 installation and completely reinstalls the operating system but you can choose whether to keep your files (or at least the vast majority of them) or to start with an entirely clean slate.  I never resort to an actual clean reinstallation of Windows 10 from external media until and unless a Reset has not solved the problem.
>> --
>> Brian
>>
>>  Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

Kenny Peyattt jr. <p.wildcat1234@...>

Hi From what I read on the Microsoft accessibility blog, that narrator will be able to be used during the entire setup process. But who know how long that will take Microsoft to get that working properly.

Kenny Peyatt jr.

I don't know enough to advise you about using an accessible reinstallation environment.  There are installation environments developed evidently by some blind users that allow you to run enough of Windows from an external source to then reinstall Windows.  they also load a screen-reader from their files, as far as I know, NVDA.  But I don't know enough about this to tell you more.  No one has said anything about this in the discussion.  perhaps they will now.

but you will have to be able to boot from whatever medium you are using, such as a thumb drive and I have no idea what sources the computer currently looks at when booting.

gene

Well you can try a reset, to be honest though it may be time to just
take your box to a shop and ask them to reformat it for you.
I still am a firm believer that a box should run the system it was
designed for for best performance.
So if you ran xp on it it should run that or 7 well you get the picture.
I'd actually be wandering if you either have a virus or something or
simply that your hardwre has issues and it may do.

On 16/12/2016 7:33 a.m., Douglas Lawlor wrote:
> Hello Brian,
> I would do this if I could, but I cannot use the system at all in it's current state. It is taking minutes for NVDA to respond to a command which should normally take milliseconds. I just don't know what to do here. I've got no sited assistance to help me which makes this problem that much more frustrating.
>
> Doug
>

> Douglas Lawlor
> Email: douglawlor@...
>

>> On Dec 15, 2016, at 1:29 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
>>
>> Doug,
>>
>>           Have you considered using the Reset function under the Update & Security Settings, Recovery Pane?   It wipes the existing Win10 installation and completely reinstalls the operating system but you can choose whether to keep your files (or at least the vast majority of them) or to start with an entirely clean slate.  I never resort to an actual clean reinstallation of Windows 10 from external media until and unless a Reset has not solved the problem.
>> --
>> Brian
>>
>>  Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.
>>
>>          ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Gene

I don't know enough about it to say more.  I don't see why the brand would matter.  But whether you can do it would depend on things such as if your computer is set to be able to boot from a thumb drive or whatever medium you would use.  But beyond that, I don't know enough to discuss the topic further.  I will say that there is a list, TechTalk (spelling) where the owner, who is a very competent tech, can answer questions on the topic.

If you are interested in joining, I can send subscription information.

Well you can try a reset, to be honest though it may be time to just
take your box to a shop and ask them to reformat it for you.
I still am a firm believer that a box should run the system it was
designed for for best performance.
So if you ran xp on it it should run that or 7 well you get the picture.
I'd actually be wandering if you either have a virus or something or
simply that your hardwre has issues and it may do.

On 16/12/2016 7:33 a.m., Douglas Lawlor wrote:
> Hello Brian,
> I would do this if I could, but I cannot use the system at all in it's current state. It is taking minutes for NVDA to respond to a command which should normally take milliseconds. I just don't know what to do here. I've got no sited assistance to help me which makes this problem that much more frustrating.
>
> Doug
>

> Douglas Lawlor
> Email: douglawlor@...
>

>> On Dec 15, 2016, at 1:29 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
>>
>> Doug,
>>
>>           Have you considered using the Reset function under the Update & Security Settings, Recovery Pane?   It wipes the existing Win10 installation and completely reinstalls the operating system but you can choose whether to keep your files (or at least the vast majority of them) or to start with an entirely clean slate.  I never resort to an actual clean reinstallation of Windows 10 from external media until and unless a Reset has not solved the problem.
>> --
>> Brian
>>
>>  Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.
>>
>>          ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Ian Blackburn

With a laptop you will be able to do a restore from your recovery petition
This will give the machine back to you like it was brand-new
As far as I know it's not accessible to do it without cited assistance
Regards Ian

On 16 Dec 2016, at 1:49 pm, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

I don't know enough about it to say more.  I don't see why the brand would matter.  But whether you can do it would depend on things such as if your computer is set to be able to boot from a thumb drive or whatever medium you would use.  But beyond that, I don't know enough to discuss the topic further.  I will say that there is a list, TechTalk (spelling) where the owner, who is a very competent tech, can answer questions on the topic.

If you are interested in joining, I can send subscription information.

Well you can try a reset, to be honest though it may be time to just
take your box to a shop and ask them to reformat it for you.
I still am a firm believer that a box should run the system it was
designed for for best performance.
So if you ran xp on it it should run that or 7 well you get the picture.
I'd actually be wandering if you either have a virus or something or
simply that your hardwre has issues and it may do.

On 16/12/2016 7:33 a.m., Douglas Lawlor wrote:
> Hello Brian,
> I would do this if I could, but I cannot use the system at all in it's current state. It is taking minutes for NVDA to respond to a command which should normally take milliseconds. I just don't know what to do here. I've got no sited assistance to help me which makes this problem that much more frustrating.
>
> Doug
>

> Douglas Lawlor
> Email: douglawlor@...
>

>> On Dec 15, 2016, at 1:29 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
>>
>> Doug,
>>
>>           Have you considered using the Reset function under the Update & Security Settings, Recovery Pane?   It wipes the existing Win10 installation and completely reinstalls the operating system but you can choose whether to keep your files (or at least the vast majority of them) or to start with an entirely clean slate.  I never resort to an actual clean reinstallation of Windows 10 from external media until and unless a Reset has not solved the problem.
>> --
>> Brian
>>
>>  Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.
>>
>>          ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Yes look in control setup for hw setup thats the bios config.

On Dec 15, 2016, at 9:00 PM, Gene <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:

[...]

Sorry i can not help you there..

There is contact details for the person on the page that could give you more information.

When i listened to a earlier version of the windows PE it if i remember right was from a clean install.

there are other utilities in the program that can do different things, but have not put it to a test the way you said.

I couldive used this program a month ago when my hard drive died, but i had not burned the image to a disk at that time so i could do it.

can you not roll back a period of time? if i get into trouble very rare and can not be fixed or it goes weird etc if i can not fix it then i will roll it back and the problem goes away.

I also take note of what the program caused the problem if i can.

Gene nz

On 16/12/2016 3:29 PM, Douglas Lawlor wrote:
> [...]

> Doug
>

> Douglas Lawlor
> Email: douglawlor@...
>

>> On Dec 15, 2016, at 1:29 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
>>
>> Doug,
>>
>>           Have you considered using the Reset function under the Update & Security Settings, Recovery Pane?   It wipes the existing Win10 installation and completely reinstalls the operating system but you can choose whether to keep your files (or at least the vast majority of them) or to start with an entirely clean slate.  I never resort to an actual clean reinstallation of Windows 10 from external media until and unless a Reset has not solved the problem.
>> --
>> Brian
>>
>>  Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

Have you tried installing a good working copy of nvda to see if you get the same results?

If the portable version works well and the installer version doesn't then you can look at other things.

You would most probably have to download a fresh copy of nvda from the net then make a portable copy. then if that one is ok and the installer version is causing problems, then maybe look at fully uninstalling the installer copy.

i can give you directions on how to do that.

maybe some thing has got corrupted in the nvda.ini file? in the installer version.

Does pressing the alt + ctrl + N keys restart nvda and it works properly.

Have you also tried nvda with all add ons disabled just in case one is causing the problem.

which synth are you using? the synth package might be causing the problem. I remember a synth package i used one time called via voice out loud keaped

have you also tried resetting nvda back to factory defaults?

Gene nz

On crashing every so offen and you would get windows explorer etc dieing.

> [...]

> Doug
>

> Douglas Lawlor
> Email: douglawlor@...
>

>> On Dec 15, 2016, at 1:29 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
>>
>> Doug,
>>
>>           Have you considered using the Reset function under the Update & Security Settings, Recovery Pane?   It wipes the existing Win10 installation and completely reinstalls the operating system but you can choose whether to keep your files (or at least the vast majority of them) or to start with an entirely clean slate.  I never resort to an actual clean reinstallation of Windows 10 from external media until and unless a Reset has not solved the problem.
>> --
>> Brian
>>
>>  Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I'm told that if you have an iso or dvd of the anniversary edition of 10, it is possible to do it, indeed I think there have been some podcasts on how to do it using narrator.
Are you absolutely sure your issues are so serious it needs a reinstll though?
Often one can run an image of 10 and kind of repair it from that.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I know there are more appropriate lists I should be posting this on but I need an answer as soon as I can get one.
I have a Windows 10 laptop that is totally unusable and need to install Windows 10 from a working image I have on a USB drive. How can I restart Windows into Safe mode where I can do this? I'm getting program Manager not responding from NVDA so I know there is a problem where a reinstall of Windows would be the best option. It would be really wonderful if one could install Windows without sited assistance but that's still not possible as far as I'm aware.

Thanks,

Doug

Douglas Lawlor
Email: douglawlor@me.com

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I wonder is this machine by any chance an AMD processor one, as we do already know that all the versions of windows updated this month seem to have added some code into the windows update routines that some amd processors find keeps them rather busy doing very little. ahem...