Topics

Donating During Update

David Griffith

I wonder if the donation page during update could be looked at an simplified.

On Firefox the donation options are not read as discrete options   unless you use control keys with arrow keys, and to my deaf ears at leazst it is confusing as all the suggested amounts of donations are initially read out as a single strihng  which is a little overwhelming and scary as some of the suggested amounts are pretty considerable.

To my ears at least the check box for the amount is not clear – does it relate to the amount before or after the amount etc.

It is a little anxiety making and does not feel quite safe and the worry is that you are to donate an amount you cannot afford.

More importantly on a couple of occasion  this has meant I have checked the wrong amount when trying to donate  and again on my system once a check box is check is seems impossible to uncheck it. Pressing space or enter does not seem possible to amend this once it has been entered.

This has twice meant that I have pulled out of the donation page when I genuinely wanted to donate.

The behaviour of the page which would feel safe to me would be to cursor down and hear each donation option as a separate option  with a clear safe option to check or uncheck the amount you are committing, rather than only being able to review by hearing whole sections of the page read out.

My inability to complete this page is probably down to my own ineptitude  and user error but I would have thought that a donation page at least should be ultra straightforward and easy to complete.

Just a suggestions.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Jacques <lists4js@...>

Hi David

I have a monthly donation set up, so usually choose the "do not donate at this time" option, or something along those lines when downloading an update. Since the donation options are radio buttons, When in browse mode, using r and shift+r moves between the donation options. I think this makes for easier navigation and will read only the option you are on at any given time.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Jacques

On 16 Dec 2016 10:24, David Griffith wrote:
[...]

Windows 10

I second this

On 12/16/2016 2:24 AM, David Griffith wrote:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes this has been a bit odd for some time. Somebody told me that you can sort it a bit by changing the way the page is shown to you in one of the settings, but I forgot which one now.
You should be ok if you are careful as you cannot spend anything until the end in any case.
I'll be doing mine when I get a quiet period, indeed I was never asked at update time so I'll need to do it via the menu in any case.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Quentin Christensen

Thanks for raising this, I'll look into it.

Kind regards

Quentin

On 16 Dec. 2016 10:09 pm, "Brian's Mail list account" <bglists@...> wrote:
Yes this has been a bit odd for some time. Somebody told me that you can sort it a bit by changing the way the page is shown to you in one of the settings, but I forgot which one now.
You should be ok if you are careful as you cannot spend anything until the end in any case.
I'll be doing mine when I get a quiet period, indeed I was never asked at update time so I'll need to do it via the menu in any case.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Griffith" <daj.griffith@...>
[...]

Gene

I don't see how this part of the page could be improved.  The only thing that might be useful would be to have a link in the introductory material telling users that if they want information working with radio buttons, since they are used in the form, to follow this link.  On the page the link leads to, would be explanatory material and a return to form link or previous page link or whatever the designers want to call it.
You imply that you can't down arrow.  The only way that is occurring, assuming things are working correctly on your machine, is if you are doing something to go into forms mode.  Stop reading when you get to that part of the page with control.  Then down arrow through the items.  You don't have to be in forms mode.  When you get to the radio button you want, press the space bar on it.  The amount is above the radio button if you down arrow.  You may hear the amount twice, as a line of text above the radio button and when you are on the radio button.  These are not check boxes.  Pay careful attention to the announcement of structures on unfamiliar web pages and in unfamiliar interfaces such as dialogs everywhere.  You can't uncheck radio buttons by repeating the action that checked them.  The only way to uncheck a radio button is to check another one.  Radio buttons are used instead of check boxes because with check boxes, more than one could be accidentally checked.

If you have trouble efficiently getting to things and working with things on Internet pages in general and you want to use the Internet efficiently and well, I would urge you to work through a good Internet tutorial that emphasizes web page navigation and working with forms.

[...]

I just checked further.  If you use the letter r, each item will be read individually.  If you up and down arrow, the entire list of donations will be read from where you are to the end every time you down arrow.  This, obviously should be changed.  So the page can be significantly improved in that way.  The reason I didn't hafve this problem is because I had use screen layout if supported turned off in my NVDA.  If this is the setting used, down arrowing works properly.  Just one more reason to have this setting off by default.  My recollection is that is on by default.  That's a really bad default setting.  New or inexperienced users won't even know such a setting exists.

It might still be worth considering having a page explaining the use of radio buttons, as I suggested in a previous message.  But new or unknowledgeable users should have the most web pages presented in the most useable manner and that is to have use screen layout if supported off by default.

[...]

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

I totally agree with you Gene.

I am always telling people to turn it off if certain things happen like text on one line and the link on the other if i remember right.

Gene nz

On 17/12/2016 3:01 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Gene NZ and Gene,

I agree with both of you. I don't understand why screen layout is on by default. I've had to turn it off in certain situations too.

Rosemarie

[...]

I agree! screen layout should be turned off by default in future versions

Arlene

So did I. I turned it off.