soundcard add on

The Gamages

Hello all,
I believe someone made an addon to save soundcard settings, I missed the thread on this subject, is it anything like the old “quick mix” for XP?  that was a brilliant program.
does it take a snapshot of the soundcard, or is it a bit more complicated?
Any comments greatly appreciated.
Best Regards, Jim.

Jacques <lists4js@...>

Hi Jim

I wasn't familiar with Quick Mix, but Googled it quickly to see what it offered on XP.

I wrote a collection of utilities over the last year or so, which I call Stascom Utility Suite. At this point it will recover sound to a pre-defined level and unmute the default sound card if it became muted by an event. You can also define day / night volumes to be switched to at user defined times. At this point it does not load application specific profiles, but that might just be something I'll look into for a future release.

Should you be interested, you can read the user guide and download the installer from my web page:

http://www.stascom.co.za

Jacques

On 18 Dec 2016 12:25, The Gamages wrote:
Hello all,
I believe someone made an addon to save soundcard settings, I missed the
thread on this subject, is it anything like the old “quick mix” for XP?
that was a brilliant program.
does it take a snapshot of the soundcard, or is it a bit more complicated?
Any comments greatly appreciated.
Best Regards, Jim.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

This sounds like what I need on a computer often used by sighted people as well as me.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Hello Jacques,

Thank you for your reply, I have read your user guide and have one
question about my particular system.
I am using Windows ten anniversary edition, my soundcard is a
Soundblaster Z.

At the moment I have a problem where I have no speech, sighted people
have confirmed that the card is not muted and, as the computer is under
warrenty, it will be looked at tomorrow.

That being said, will your program bring back speech when I lose it?
assuming that any problem is sorted first of course.
I am really only interested in getting some sound back if someone mutes
it or reducers the volume to zero. I am not sure if your program will do
this or if it stops the sound from being muted or reduced in the first
place. As you will realise now, the old Quick mix just took a snapshot
of the soundcard and a hot key or desktop icon could be used to restore
the settings?
In simple terms can you explain what happens with your program.

I do appreciate people like you who give of their time to help others,
whatever the outcome for me, have a very happy festive season and all
good luck for the new year.

Best Regards, Jim.

[...]

Gerardo Corripio

I also read the User Guide and wow it sounds very very interesting! but i've got the question if does it include a facility where you could assign maybe a Hotkey that'll alternate between the regular Internal Mike-only listening, and StereoMix? I record lots of podcasts and demos here on my Windows7 HP Laptop, thus such a facility would be a blessing for those of us who record, who paqrticipate on online radio etc. Good work so far!

--
Enviado desde mi lap

Jacob Kruger

Jim, Jacques's utility suite monitors volume level changes, and, will reset it to a level of your choice whenever it gets dropped below a certain level, and, also offers keystrokes to adjust it yourself, without needing to work directly via volume level dialogue.

Besides that, you can also optionally set it to automatically lower/raise volume levels at certain times, sort of alternating between daytime, and nighttime volume levels.

But, his suite offers quite a bit more functionality than just that.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

[...]

My program monitors the default audio device and will unmute it if it becomes muted in any way. It also monitors for low volume and recovers it, once again, should it fall below a certain level. Both the minimum volume, as well as the level it will recover to, is user configurable. The user do not need to press any hot key for this to happen, it is automated. As is stated in my user guide, it can only perform these actions if the hardware is in tact and the correct drivers are installed, of course.

Bottom line, if your hardware is not faulty and the correct drivers are installed, Stascom will unmute and recover volume on the default sound card automatically, no problem.

I'm currently in the process of adding more functionality to the program. Once I've completed it and it's done its rounds via my beta testers, I'll post the update. I should also mention that if you have the version installed which currently is on my web site, it will notify you of any future release, provided you are connected to the internet, naturally. The check for an update will happen when the program launches at startup, but there's also an option for a manual check under the menu hot key, control+Windows+m.

Thanks for your kind words, a good festive season to you too.

Jacques

On 18 Dec 2016 15:41, The Gamages wrote:
[...]

Hi Gerardo

This is not currently part of the program, but I may look into this in future.

Many thanks for your feedback.

Jacques

On 18 Dec 2016 15:43, Gerardo Corripio wrote:
[...]

Dan Kerstetter

I would like to add a word of caution about using this program suite.
IThink it's a wonderful set of utilities, but I had to remove it because, with the program installed, I couldn't work on sound editing projects and save them. Apparently, it was interfering with the encoding and decoding process.

[...]

Hi Dan

Sorry to hear about the experience you've had in this regard, it leaves me frowning though. No part of Stascom interferes on that level. You didn't mention which sound editing tools you're using. Although I'm not a professional sound engineer, I often enough to sound editing in GoldWave, including conversion between formats. It would be interesting to know what caused this problem on your system.

If you would like to give me more specific detail, please contact me via the contact options in the user guide or program menu. I'm happy to discuss it publicly, but not all people on the list will be interested in the topic.

Thanks.

Jacques

On 18 Dec 2016 17:11, Dan Kerstetter wrote:
[...]

Perhaps it was a problem specific to my system. I was also using GoldWave. The files could be edited but not saved.

[...]

I tend to agree that it was system specific. I frequently encode and decode in GoldWave. Nonetheless, I apreciate any and all feedback.

Keep well.
Jacques

On 18 Dec 2016 17:25, Dan Kerstetter wrote:
[...]

Christo de Klerk

Hello

I, too, often do sound editing with Stascom running and have never experienced any problems. People can use Stascom with confidence.

Kind regards

Christo

On 2016/12/18 5:29 PM, Jacques wrote:
[...]

Just to be clear to my simple brain, I take it that nobody can mute or
reduce the sound below the level set?, this would suit me fine, if the
mute status or level can still be changed, at what point will it return
to the set values?
Sorry to sound so thick, I just want to get it clear in my mind. Thank
you.

Best Regards, Jim.

[...]

In the configuration window of Stascom there are radio buttons to either enable or disable the sound recovery feature. This effectively means that, if the user chooses to disable this feature, the default audio device can be muted or set lower than the user defined low volume. When disabling this feature, I populate a warning message to the effect that if the feature is disabled, I will not be able to recover sound. However, my aim is to always give the user an option for any feature I build into Stascom, regardless of the feature in question. The same holds true for day / night volume adjustment. If you don't like it, simply disable the feature and I'll honour it in future sessions.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have, but also check out the user guide, I have run it passed a few people and believe it to be quite clear on what the program offers, or do not offer.

Thanks for your interest in the program.

Jacques

On 18 Dec 2016 18:48, The Gamages wrote:
[...]

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Jim

was your sound card working before on windows 10? or have you just
upgraded then the sound disappeared?

I had something similar when i upgraded to windows 10 from a windows 8
machine. I could not find any updated drivers for my sound card so
brought a very cheap generic usb sound card. the next time i booted the
pc the sound came back or did i have to get someone to change it to the
new sound cards then it came back.

When they done the anniversary version i now also have sound via the old
sound card but may not be the case for all pcs.

You should if you need one be able to get one very cheap like a couple
of dollars nothing fancy.

Gene nz

On 19/12/2016 2:41 AM, The Gamages wrote:
[...]

Hello Gene,

Thank you for your interest, my problem is a bit more than just the
soundcard at the moment, it's a new computer that was working fine with
all the latest operating system from scratch but has developed a fault,
luckily the computer was purchased locally and the supplier is coming
today to sort it out.
My interest in the soundcard program is so that I can get sound back in
the event of it being accidentally muted or sound reduced to zero.
Your idea of a USB soundcard is interesting though, maybe a good back
up, thanks again.

Best Regards, Jim.

[...]

<b>Check out the new location of my accessibility central website for
NVDA tutorials, NVDA road tested programs, and other eyesight related
topics.
http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/ If you would like to keep up to
date with whats being updated on our website, you can also follow us on
facebook by visiting
the following link
https://en-gb.facebook.com/people/AccessibilityCentral-Net/100009727930216
Also, check out which New Zealand libraries have the NVDA screen reader
available by visiting the following link

The Gamages

Hello Jacob,

Thanks for your input and explanation, I will make any further
comunication off list unless others are interested.

Best Regards, Jim.

[...]

I second the suggestion having a USB sound card at hand. Being someone who frequently work on other people's machines, it always is a good idea to have a plug-and-play card at the ready when one hits a wall with sound not working. As Gene correctly pointed out, one only needs a bottom of the range card for this purpose, so I too, always advise people to have such a beast for when sound goes south.

Jacques

On 19 Dec 2016 12:46, The Gamages wrote:

[...]

Well may I suggest directing everyone to coolblindtech.com and searching their archives?\
Its something like goodybag or something you search for.
any rate there is a amazon for the andrea electronics recording phones which I have as backup, there is a cheap and nasty soundcard included which for the fact its free is not bad.
It was 20 bucks but went up to 30 I think.
If that is not your thing, atguys.com has a cheap card for 15 us bucks.
In both cases those don't need drivers.
The last one is a 60 dollar card by creative the sb play, good for music but speech can be a bit blaa through it, its also large, as big as a small cellphone.
It can not stand ground noise on anything so needs a sepperate usb on its own.
It can run without drivers in a crappy state, with no drivers the effects board just doesn't work.
It also has issues with some games.
With drivers, most of the players and control centers are just no good but the control panel for the effects processer is nice and easy, the updater can be a bit fiddly and you need to either use mouse or sightlings to select the boxes but its good enough.
I know dancingdots has a lot of cards but the prices start going up there.
If you are only going to use it ocationally like till you pick up speakers, plantronics should have good enough headsets.
Just go to where ever you get your cheap and nasty things and buy a basic one.
No drivers, small set, crap quality but it will get you running.
It depends on what you like to carry.
The sb play will fit in your pocket, the headsets will fit in your laptop bag but you will have to take a bag with you.
The advantage with the sets is once stored, you can knock the storage box off the desk and it will not dammage, anything,
I still use my senheiser sets.
To be honest though for those with sound ports and no speakers depending where you are, a cheap and nasty crapware headset is all you need for things.
When servicing at home if I can help it I either plug my 1930s custom built amp my dad built himself back in the day or my logitech z100 speakers into the computer.
If you really don't care about headsets you can always buy and carry round a small bluetooth speaker or speaker with headphone jack for most things.
99.99999% of computers have soundcards or at least internal soundcards.
Unless that is you are servicing a unit which was brought in any year before 2004 or there abouts.
And unless you use something that uses win98 or earlier its unlikely.
Most boards have a basic soundcard most with 3 ports, its true some units you have to fiddle round especially with some of the older via 6 port configs.
Mostly the middle port of any 3 port pair is your friend.