re i am new to nvda can someone help?

stewartross <stewartross@...>

hi i wonder if someone out there could help me
wenever i try to load nvda, i can't get the voice to work.
i thought i would install nvda, to see what is like also
as my jaws keeps crashing wen i am running outlook express seven with wiindows seven.
many thanks

from stewart

from the ross meister
www.laserhothits.co.uk

Dejan Ristic

It may be that your synthesizer is set to the No speech option.

To check it, press: nvda PLUS CONTROL PLUS S. The synthesizer dialogue should appear. Try to find, for instance, ESpeak NG, and then press enter to try to make it speak.

NOTE:

If you are unable to do it yourself, either bring up another screen reader to assist you, or some sighted assistance.

Never have more than one screen reader turned on when you start your computer. They may have a conflict.
On 12/19/2016 10:05 AM, stewartross wrote:

hi i wonder if someone out there could help me
wenever i try to load nvda, i can't get the voice to work.
i thought i would install nvda, to see what is like also
as my jaws keeps crashing wen i am running outlook express seven with wiindows seven.
many thanks

from stewart

from the ross meister
www.laserhothits.co.uk

Quentin Christensen

If you follow Dejan's suggestion, after pressing NVDA+control+s, "No speech" is the last option as you down arrow, so you could up arrow to get to something else.  The first option is "eSpeak NG".  Often not the favourite voice, but it should certainly speak.

The other way of resetting is to press NVDA+control+r three times quickly, which resets everything in NVDA to factory defaults.

Note that the NVDA key is usually insert, particularly on desktops, and may be caps lock, particularly on laptops).

If you have several programs which use speech installed, you may have other synthesizers.  It is best to avoid trying to choose those in NVDA unless you are sure they will work with it, as sometimes commercial programs will restrict the synthesizers you buy with them to only work with them.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Dejan Ristic

Let me join the conversation once more.

When the synthesizer dialogue is open, tab once to check which of the offered output devices is active. I do not say that it may be a problem, but I simply want to help. On laptops, when no headset is plugged in, you may choose between Microsoft sound mapper and speakers. But, when a headset is pluged in, there's the third device called Headphones.

I hope that your NVDA will start working for you.

[...]

Let others express themselves, too.

On 12/19/2016 10:40 PM, Dejan Ristic wrote:

[...]

hi.
press nvda+control+s to list the synthesizers.
then, press e or home to find espeak ng!
good luck.

www.laserhothits.co.uk <http://www.laserhothits.co.uk>

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
Twitter: @NVAccess

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Brian's Mail list account

I tell you what has stopped working in all windows versions after a recent windows update, that is the old Scansoft emily 16 bit voice. I have tried to reinstall it but it never plays any more not even in Dolphin products, so they broke this in xp and onwards. the 32 bit voices still work, however.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

I'm not sure about why any email would crash when running jaws, but I'm a little worried about nvda not speaking. I would suggest that when you do an install you make sure its as admin and that Jaws is unloaded as well, as the installation is self voicing.
If as has been suggested the screenreader is set to no speech, you may need to manually remove any settings files of nvda before a re install. this can be done with Jaws obviously.

You should also be able to use the default Windows voice on nvda as well, though some sighted help may be needed if you cannot get espeak to work.
Not working implies some issues in the machine, as Espeak is a stand alone synth.