locked trying to find my gmail account in the webbie browser

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, everyone,

I just tried to sign in to my gmail account using the webbie browser but am having a problem. If any of you use it, what do you do?

Thanks four your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

The issue to me is that Webbie is in fact just a front end of Internet explorer, so in my experience much of the more modern coding in pages cannot be seen by it these days.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I just tried to sign in to my gmail account using the webbie browser but am
having a problem. If any of you use it, what do you do?

Thanks four your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Gene

When you present a problem, please present details.  Saying you had a problem doesn't allow anyone to know if they are addressing the problem you had.

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 4:22 AM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> I just tried to sign in to my gmail account using the webbie browser but
> am
> having a problem. If any of you use it, what do you do?
>

> Thanks four your help in advance.
>

> Rosemarie

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Gene,

When I tried to sign in, I was taken to something like "create an account". I wonder if secuirty might have something to do with it.

Rosemarie

When you present a problem, please present details.  Saying you had a problem doesn't allow anyone to know if they are addressing the problem you had.

> I just tried to sign in to my gmail account using the webbie browser but
> am
> having a problem. If any of you use it, what do you do?
>

> Thanks four your help in advance.
>

> Rosemarie

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Brian,

You could be right. I tried signing in and I was taken to something like
"create an account". I'm able to sign in with internet explorer.

Rosemarie

I just tried to sign in to my gmail account using the webbie browser but
am
having a problem. If any of you use it, what do you do?

Thanks four your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Gene

Didn't you have that problem before?  How did you solve it with another browser.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 10:25 AM

Hi, Gene,

When I tried to sign in, I was taken to something like "create an account". I wonder if secuirty might have something to do with it.

Rosemarie

When you present a problem, please present details.  Saying you had a problem doesn't allow anyone to know if they are addressing the problem you had.

> I just tried to sign in to my gmail account using the webbie browser but
> am
> having a problem. If any of you use it, what do you do?
>

> Thanks four your help in advance.
>

> Rosemarie

Arlene

Yes, I think so.  I’ve seen this when I had a problem trying to sign in using another device that was mine. I should say a friend’s device while I was on vacation in my own state.  Canada When I got home I had to go into the e-mail on our IPhone to allow it. then the problem went away. I could not get my gmail in my inbox. When I allowed the IPhone to my gmail. The problem went away. Did you try signing into your gmail on another device? Or were you using your own computer?

When I tried to sign in, I was taken to something like "create an account". I wonder if secuirty might have something to do with it.

Rosemarie

When you present a problem, please present details.  Saying you had a problem doesn't allow anyone to know if they are addressing the problem you had.

> I just tried to sign in to my gmail account using the webbie browser but
> am
> having a problem. If any of you use it, what do you do?
>

> Thanks four your help in advance.
>

> Rosemarie

Rosemarie Chavarria

I was using my own computer.

Yes, I think so.  I’ve seen this when I had a problem trying to sign in using another device that was mine. I should say a friend’s device while I was on vacation in my own state.  Canada When I got home I had to go into the e-mail on our IPhone to allow it. then the problem went away. I could not get my gmail in my inbox. When I allowed the IPhone to my gmail. The problem went away. Did you try signing into your gmail on another device? Or were you using your own computer?

When I tried to sign in, I was taken to something like "create an account". I wonder if secuirty might have something to do with it.

Rosemarie

When you present a problem, please present details.  Saying you had a problem doesn't allow anyone to know if they are addressing the problem you had.

> I just tried to sign in to my gmail account using the webbie browser but
> am
> having a problem. If any of you use it, what do you do?
>

> Thanks four your help in advance.
>

> Rosemarie

Gene

You wouldn't be taken to a create a new account page if you were using a new device or browser.  You might be asked to authenticate the new device in some way or to sign in with your user information but being taken to a create a new account page indicates another problem.  I don't know if the problem is user error with Webbie, some sort of incompatibility, or one or more settings that need to be changed.

Yes, I think so.  I’ve seen this when I had a problem trying to sign in using another device that was mine. I should say a friend’s device while I was on vacation in my own state.  Canada When I got home I had to go into the e-mail on our IPhone to allow it. then the problem went away. I could not get my gmail in my inbox. When I allowed the IPhone to my gmail. The problem went away. Did you try signing into your gmail on another device? Or were you using your own computer?

When I tried to sign in, I was taken to something like "create an account". I wonder if secuirty might have something to do with it.

Rosemarie

When you present a problem, please present details.  Saying you had a problem doesn't allow anyone to know if they are addressing the problem you had.

> I just tried to sign in to my gmail account using the webbie browser but
> am
> having a problem. If any of you use it, what do you do?
>

> Thanks four your help in advance.
>

> Rosemarie

Rosemarie Chavarria

I don't remember right now.

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 10:25 AM

Hi, Gene,

When I tried to sign in, I was taken to something like "create an account". I wonder if secuirty might have something to do with it.

Rosemarie

When you present a problem, please present details.  Saying you had a problem doesn't allow anyone to know if they are addressing the problem you had.

> I just tried to sign in to my gmail account using the webbie browser but
> am
> having a problem. If any of you use it, what do you do?
>

> Thanks four your help in advance.
>

> Rosemarie

Arlene

Oh that’s strange! I hope you get it sorted out.

Yes, I think so.  I’ve seen this when I had a problem trying to sign in using another device that was mine. I should say a friend’s device while I was on vacation in my own state.  Canada When I got home I had to go into the e-mail on our IPhone to allow it. then the problem went away. I could not get my gmail in my inbox. When I allowed the IPhone to my gmail. The problem went away. Did you try signing into your gmail on another device? Or were you using your own computer?

When I tried to sign in, I was taken to something like "create an account". I wonder if secuirty might have something to do with it.

Rosemarie

When you present a problem, please present details.  Saying you had a problem doesn't allow anyone to know if they are addressing the problem you had.

> I just tried to sign in to my gmail account using the webbie browser but
> am
> having a problem. If any of you use it, what do you do?
>

> Thanks four your help in advance.
>

> Rosemarie

Rosemarie Chavarria

I got it now.

Oh that’s strange! I hope you get it sorted out.

Yes, I think so.  I’ve seen this when I had a problem trying to sign in using another device that was mine. I should say a friend’s device while I was on vacation in my own state.  Canada When I got home I had to go into the e-mail on our IPhone to allow it. then the problem went away. I could not get my gmail in my inbox. When I allowed the IPhone to my gmail. The problem went away. Did you try signing into your gmail on another device? Or were you using your own computer?

When I tried to sign in, I was taken to something like "create an account". I wonder if secuirty might have something to do with it.

Rosemarie

When you present a problem, please present details.  Saying you had a problem doesn't allow anyone to know if they are addressing the problem you had.

> I just tried to sign in to my gmail account using the webbie browser but
> am
> having a problem. If any of you use it, what do you do?
>

> Thanks four your help in advance.
>

> Rosemarie

David Moore

Yes, Rosemarie,
the webbie browser is way out of date, and many features that are on web pages will not work with webbie, and many features in JAWS like aria will not work either. You are really limiting yourself using webbie over a current up to date browser like firefox or Chrome, or even Edge with NVDA.
David Moore

Didn't you have that problem before?  How did you solve it with another browser.

Gene

When I tried to sign in, I was taken to something like "create an account". I wonder if secuirty might have something to do with it.

Rosemarie

When you present a problem, please present details.  Saying you had a problem doesn't allow anyone to know if they are addressing the problem you had.

> I just tried to sign in to my gmail account using the webbie browser but
> am
> having a problem. If any of you use it, what do you do?
>

> Thanks four your help in advance.
>

> Rosemarie

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, David,

I do have google chrome now.

the webbie browser is way out of date, and many features that are on web pages will not work with webbie, and many features in JAWS like aria will not work either. You are really limiting yourself using webbie over a current up to date browser like firefox or Chrome, or even Edge with NVDA.

David Moore

Didn't you have that problem before?  How did you solve it with another browser.

Gene

When I tried to sign in, I was taken to something like "create an account". I wonder if secuirty might have something to do with it.

Rosemarie

When you present a problem, please present details.  Saying you had a problem doesn't allow anyone to know if they are addressing the problem you had.

> I just tried to sign in to my gmail account using the webbie browser but
> am
> having a problem. If any of you use it, what do you do?
>

> Thanks four your help in advance.
>

> Rosemarie

David,

           I'd say you're accurate just by saying that IE11 is now long out of date, and WebbIE is subject to whatever issues that in itself entails.  It appears that Alasdair King continues to maintain WebbIE as there are two updates in 2016, the last one noted as this month, on the WebbIE web page under the Version History section and he gets into details about said updates on the WebbIE Blog Page.

           I agree, though, that it really amounts to throwing good effort after bad to pursue anything that has IE11 as its underlying web browsing technology these days.  While IE11 is still getting security updates it is under no further development.  Web coding conventions have changed enough since development stopped for that to already be a functional concern.  Now there's no screen reader maker I know of that's throwing a lot of focus on IE going forward since it's been supplanted in the marketplace by Chrome and Firefox and Microsoft is intent on making Edge its flagship web browser.  There's a lot more interest in keeping on top of these three browsers while IE is going to become more and more a stepchild and will eventually likely end up unsupported beyond what already exists (which is substantial, but still, the writing's on the wall).

 Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

         ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I played with this WebIE (version 4--supposedly latest version) and while it does work somewhat, I have great wait times when accessing pages with large graphics or embedded audio.

A few weeks ago, I posted a query to this list and some others concerning solutions for this issue and got absolutely no response.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

brian <sackriderbrian45@...>

        I do use webie but there are sites that webie has problems with but I use it for downloading because I can hear the percentages but ie 11 nvda does not read the percentages so you don't know if your downloads are progressing or not.  I have my gmail in my thunderbird and webie as my default brouser this works just fine.

Brian Sackrider

I was using my own computer.

Ron Canazzi wrote, with regard to WebbIE:

A few weeks ago, I posted a query to this list and some others concerning solutions for this issue and got absolutely no response.

And that should be utterly unsurprising.  WebbIE is a one-man project about which very little is known to "the outside world."  Then you have the fact that it's built atop what was once the dominant, but is now a rapidly dying, web browser and the desire to delve into finding answers is simply absent.

For myself, and I am speaking strictly for myself, I am not going to dedicate my time to finding a solution to something that is rapidly hitting a dead end that no one can fix.  It makes no sense for me to spend my time that way and, in the final analysis, it makes no sense to spend your time (for any you) that way because it is a dead end.  Learning a new and currently popular browser is a far better use of time and effort.  Several browsers now have  a "reader view" (see Firefox Reader View page for the leader on this) feature that essentially do what WebbIE had been doing - stripping things to straight text.  Clutching antiquated software to your (for any you) bosom makes absolutely no sense over the long run.  That has nothing to do with whether you're sighted, blind, or anything else.  There are clear indications when the time to begin letting go is nigh and when that point is passed.

 Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

         ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Brian Sackrider wrote:
webie as my default browser this works just fine.

But the point, Brian, is that it will not continue doing so for much longer.  I get why people like the familiar and specific features such as the percentage announcement during download that you mention.  When Microsoft announces it's phasing out what had once been its flagship web browser they're not kidding, and the rest of the world of software developers takes notice.  You have to know that IE is a rapidly dying technology, as is anything built on it as a foundation.  You will wake up one day, and probably sooner than you think, and WebbIE will not be working just fine.

Now is the time to start playing with alternatives to IE and WebbIE so that when that day comes you're not in an instant hard place.

 Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

         ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Brian,

I mainly use internet explorer but webbie works well for sownloading. I downloaded a song from a friend's oldies site yesterday.

Rosemarie