Libre office and NVDA

The Gamages

Hello,

My apologies if this is not the correct address for this subject.

I am using the latest NVDA and Libre office Writer.

I am in the process of recording articles about libre office writer using NVDA as screen reader for the magazine called “Talking Computers”,

Mostly, NVDA does a good job with some work arounds in  some areas, Iamb about to  cover the subject of tables and have encountered an anomaly with NVDA announcing rows incorrectly under certain conditions. If more than one line is required in a cell, whether allowing the line to wrap or if forced to do so by pressing enter, NVDA announces the next row as if the extra line or lines in the previous cell are rows, so, if, for instance, I start in row one and type two lines in this cell, the next row down is announced as row three, even though there are only two rows in the table.

If I now delete this row which is being announced as row three and re insert it, it will read correctly as row two.

It seems that NVDA is recognising extra lines in a cell as rows, so the actual row below is announced incorrectly.

This only happens if more than one row is present in the original table, if I start with only one row, then pressing tab at the end of the table will create another row as normal and it announces correctly as row two.

Incidentally, the same thing happens if I start at any row In a table, not just the first one.

I have tried this with Jaws and this announces cells as A1, A2 etc as if it was a spread sheet, but it does indicate the rows correctly even with multiple lines in a cell.

Once again, my apologies if this is not the correct place for this message, if that is the case could you please direct me to the correct address, thank you very much.

Best Regards, Jim.

hello.
i am having libreoffice for more than two years.
i am not familiar with the tables and even i deactivated announcement
of reading tables in nvda!
but one time i tried it and nvda did not read for me the content of table.
specially when i wanted to select it!
also sayall command does not work with libreoffice.
and i realy need the tutorial in using nvda with libreoffice!
when you finish your article, could you please post it here?
thanks so much and God bless you.
happy new year for you!

On 12/29/16, The Gamages <james.gamage@btinternet.com> wrote:
[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Walmir Schultz <wsautodidata@...>

I am very sorry to say, but LibreOffice and NVDA are not compatible software.

There are many messages about these problems in this mailing list.

Em 29/12/2016 14:48, The Gamages escreveu:

[...]

I have to disagree with you on this point, I have done articles in MP3 format for Talking computers over the last year and , so far, I have had little trouble using NVDA, in the few instances that I have encountered where NVDA had trouble, there  was a work around, there is also a way around the latest issue with tables. I have probably posted my message in the wrong place, I am really addressing it to the developers of NVDA as an issue which may be resolved at some point.
I hope people are not put off using the Libre office program by your remarks, it’s a free program which can be most useful to those with limited resorces.
The main thing is to have NVDA running while installing Libre office, this then uses the correct settings for accessability.

Anyone who wants to judge for themselves can look at my articles on the Talking computers website found at,
talking-computers.org.uk
Thanks for listening.

Best Regards, Jim.

Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2016 11:56 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Libre office and NVDA

[...]

jim,
whats the best and the most accessible version of libreoffice until now?

On 12/31/16, The Gamages <james.gamage@btinternet.com> wrote:
[...]

The version I have on my Windows 10 computer is 5.2.4

Best Regards, Jim.

[...]

Mallard <mallard@...>

Whaaaaaaaaat? No way!!! I've been using Libre Office and NVDA for at least three years, and they're absolutely compatible! There might be some slight problems every now and then, but it's crazy to say they're not compatible!!!

For goodness sake, don't make the same mistake I used to make... When I was unable to have something work the way I expected, I started screaming that the programme was not accessible... Then I realised it was me... (big smile).

Please, reconsider your statement carefully; do some more experimenting, and be happy with your Libere Office!

Ollie

Il 31/12/2016 12:56, Walmir Schultz via Groups.Io ha scritto:

[...]

Angelo Sonnesso

I haven't tried this but I do use Open Office with NVDA with no problems.
Is there an advantage using Libre Office?
By the way I am running it on an HP Stream tablet under Windows 10.

73 N2DYN Angelo

[...]

john poole

Hi All,

Jim Gamage produces very good tutorials on various programs for pc's,he's
excellent!
Whatsmore, they are free.
Thanks for everything Jim,

John.

Rosemarie Chavarria

Is there a way to read an entire document besides control down-arrow to read paragraphs?

On 12/31/2016 11:51 AM, Angelo Sonnesso wrote:
[...]

Hi, Jim,

I just installed libre office and played with it a little bit and it works really great on windows 10. I haven't tried the spread sheet yet but I'll keep playing with it.

Rosemarie

On 12/31/2016 6:33 AM, The Gamages wrote:
[...]

I'm afraid I have to disagree. I just installed libre office and it's working great for me.

On 12/31/2016 3:56 AM, Walmir Schultz via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

i also tried openoffice,
it hangs for me with nvda.
when i press control+o to open a file, openoffice becomes unresponsive.
when i want to use openoffice, nvda becomes completely silent and i
cant do anything.
i can only restart nvda again with its shortcut or i can use task
manager to end process of nvda and restart it again.
could someone guide me please?

On 1/1/17, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

I'm afraid not, unfortunately. This is an age-old issue, and quite honestly, I can't understand why it hasn't been tackled yet...

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 31/12/2016 22:07, Rosemarie Chavarria ha scritto:
[...]

Hello Jim,

Thanks for pointing me to your articles and tutorials.

I wasn't aware of them; I'll keep this precous resource in my favorite gookmarks.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 31/12/2016 13:34, The Gamages ha scritto:
[...]

Excuse me, but I am a heavy user of LibreOffice and I like it very much, but the incompatibilities with NVDA are undeniable.

Installing LibreOffice with NVDA running is what I always did. This by no means solve the problems.

Note that I am not saying that using LibreOffice with NVDA is not possible, but as stated in many messages in this groups, this can be done only only with a lot of patience since restarting NVDA has to be done frequently to cope with all the annoyances of using both softwares.

Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2016 11:56 AM

[...]

I do not want to repeat all the problems I have with LibreOffice because I already mentioned many of them in this group.

But, with so many "annoyances" while using LibreOffice along with NVDA and having to restart NVDA at every moment to overcome this issues, I only find the word incompatibility to describe all the problems.

I am very sad to use this term, but maybe by doing so the issues will receive some attention, maybe the same attention MS Office has. As anyone can see, at every new version of NVDA there are many improvements in regard to Microsoft software, but nothing related to LibreOffice.

I must say that without NVDA I cannot use a computer and I am very grateful for that.

But, as I can use many, many other programs without any problem, my conclusion is that NVDA and LibreOffice are not fully compatible.

Em 31/12/2016 13:18, Mallard escreveu:

[...]

The majority of the problems arrive while using spreadsheets.

Even with few lines and columns and a couple of simple formulae in every line will bring the "annoyances"...

With  the addition of more sheets to the document, the situation worsens.
Note that the problems are related to NVDA, since using the same spreadsheet without NVDA by a sighted person is perfectly normal.

Em 31/12/2016 19:48, Rosemarie Chavarria escreveu:

[...]

Antony Stone

I think it would be a good idea to pick on the one biggest problem you have
with LibreOffice, which causes you to have to restart NVDA, and describe it here
so that others who seem to be happy with NVDA's compatibility with LibreOffice
can try the same thing and report back on whether it is indeed a bug /
incompatibility, or perhaps help to identify that you are having a problem on
your computer but this is not common to all installations of NVDA and
LibreOffice.

I appreciate that "you do not want to repeat all the problems you have had
with LibreOffice because you have already mentioned many of them" however that
just means we have you saying it's incompatible and others saying it's
compatible, and unless someone trawls back through the list archives to see
what details you have given in the past, we just have a difference of opinion
and no way to do an independent check.

I hope that suggestion helps to clear things on this topic,

Antony.

--
This email is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s) named above
and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable for

If you have received this email in error, you are required to shred it
immediately, add some nutmeg, three egg whites and a dessertspoonful of caster
sugar. Whisk until soft peaks form, then place in a warm oven for 40 minutes.
Remove promptly and let stand for 2 hours before adding some decorative kiwi
fruit and cream. Then notify me immediately by return email and eat the