Reading messages in Microsoft Outlook 2016 with NVDA

Don Robinson

I was having similar problems until I enabled some of the  UI Automation choices  in Preferences>Settings>Advanced.

Pranav Lal

Hi,

This does not happen to me. I am using Office 365 on windows 10 with NVDA
2016.4. However, in the past, whenever I have had this problem, I hit NVDA key +
space to enter brows mode and have carried on reading my messages.

Pranav

Gene

I would think using another screen-reader wouldn't be necessary.  You can probably cause NVDA to read the document in browse mode by simply pressing alt one time to move to the ribbons and alt once again to return to the main window.  it shouldn't matter how you leave the document window and return.  Pressing alt twice should be a minor enough inconvenience that its negligible or almost so.

Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2016 2:17 PM
Subject: [nvda] Reading messages in Microsoft Outlook 2016 with NVDA

I've just tested Microsoft Outlook 2016 (the desktop version of Outlook
supplied with Office365, including the latest November update), with NVDA and
noticed the following problem. If I press enter to open a message from the
message list, NVDA is sometimes unable to read the contents until I move focus
out of the message body then move focus back into it, at which point it enters
browse mode as intended.

This isn't a serious issue for me as I can use another screen reader with
Outlook, but I'm reporting it nevertheless to help the community. I can
generate a log file if needed.

Tested with NVDA 2016.4, Windows 10 Pro (x64), 32-bit installation of
Microsoft Office.

Jason White