NVDA 2016.3/4 won't run

Luther Fuller <theheathbar123@...>

Hi,
I am running Windows 8.1 on a Mac bootcamp partition. When NVDA 2016.3
first came out, I tried to update to it. Everything went as expected
until the final stage, when a dialog should be presented which says it
is installing and the beeps stay at the same pitch. Instead, after I
agreed to the license and told it to "install NVDA on this computer",
it did nothing. NVDA still worked just as before, but it was still on
2016.2.1. I tried this several more times with the same result. The
same thing happened when I tried to update my portable copy. Recently
I decided to try to do a clean reinstall (now to NVDA 2016.4). I
uninstalled NVDA and deleted every file and registry key with "NVDA"
in its name. I downloaded the 2016.4 installer, but it wouldn't open
(I tried selecting "open" from the context menu and running it as
administrator). Then I thought maybe the problem was with my computer,
and I could use another computer to update my portable copy and then
copy it to my primary computer. I am able to update the portable copy
and run it on the second computer with no problems. However, when I
try to run it on my primary computer, there is a Windows error sound
immediately after the NVDA startup sound, but no error message. I
looked for log files on the flashdrive and in my AppData folder, but
there are none. Does anyone know what is going on and/or how to fix
this? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

--Luther

Arlene

Makes no sense to me! I wonder if it's because it's a Mac/windows operating system? Although it shouldn't make a difference. If it works on another windows system. It makes no sense why it will not run on your primary computer! Do you think something might have became corrupt with your windows/mac computer? If everything's fine on your sd/thumb drive then something must be corrupt with windows 8 on the primary computer. Did you clean your redgestery in windows 8? Did you eliminate all keys in the redgerstery. If you did not. You can have a friend do it for you. That might do the trick if you are nervous to do it yourself.