Slightly OT: Accessible blogging platform

Ketan Kothari

Hi friends,

I intend to create personal blog and would be grateful if someone can
guide me to accessible blogging platform. Please.

With best wishes,

Ketan

--
Ketan Kothari
Phone: [r] 24223281,

Quentin Christensen

Hi Ketan,

I know a few people use WordPress.  There are various themes and I believe some are inaccessible.  I haven't had a problem with any I've tried though I probably haven't been as adventurous as some.  You can setup WordPress on your own site or use a host like wordpress.com who host it for you.

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 5:32 PM, Ketan Kothari <muktaketan@...> wrote:
Hi friends,

I intend to create personal blog and would be grateful if someone can
guide me to accessible blogging platform.  Please.

With best wishes,

Ketan

--
Ketan Kothari
Phone: [r] 24223281,
Cell: 9987550614
MSN ID: muktaketan@...
Skype ID: Ketan3333

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Hi.
Well if you use the latest wordpress theme then it will always be accessible.
But most things injegno I think is what is being used on another site but there is a custom style and all that jazz.
I am a beta tester of the wordpress platform and our themes are always accessible, the 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012 themes all should work.
maybe our older ones will work to I am unsure but the latest theme you get with the latest version should always work.
Its easy enough if you do have a website or server.
As long as you have php 5.0 or whatever the latest version of that and mysql is installed as well as cpanel then its about all you need.
You need a mysql database to run the entire junket.
You then just load the base package and configure it, and bar some plugins it should just autoupdate for you in most cases.
Wordpress.com is good though I use it and its mobile site for my personal blog.
What I have done after creation is use wordpress.com/wp-admin and then its got me into the site then I use m.wordpress.com to access that.
But its easy as long as you turn the visual editor off.
For other platforms.
If wordpress is not your thing the next easy one is blogger.
Blogger and blogspot are part of google and all account holders of google including gmail and youtube have access to this.
3. droople and maybe a couple others are usable but ofcause there are different setups it all depends what you want.

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 5:32 PM, Ketan Kothari <muktaketan@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi friends,

I intend to create personal blog and would be grateful if someone can
guide me to accessible blogging platform. Please.

With best wishes,

Ketan

--
Ketan Kothari
Phone: [r] 24223281,
Cell: 9987550614
MSN ID: muktaketan@hotmail.com
Skype ID: Ketan3333

Ben J. Bloomgren

Namasteji, Keetan,

other people have reiterated this, but Wordpress is amazing. Their iOS app is stellar also. If I could find a client for Windows, I'd be golden, being that iOS, MarsEdit for OSX and, from what I hear, Android work flawlessly.

Ben

On 1/2/2017 23:32, Ketan Kothari wrote:
Hi friends,

I intend to create personal blog and would be grateful if someone can
guide me to accessible blogging platform. Please.

With best wishes,

Ketan

Domingos de Oliveira <domingos20000@...>

I use wordpress as hosted solution. It is very usable with NVDA.
HTH Domingos

Namasteji, Keetan,

other people have reiterated this, but Wordpress is amazing. Their iOS
app is stellar also. If I could find a client for Windows, I'd be
golden, being that iOS, MarsEdit for OSX and, from what I hear, Android
work flawlessly.

Ben

On 1/2/2017 23:32, Ketan Kothari wrote:
Hi friends,

I intend to create personal blog and would be grateful if someone can
guide me to accessible blogging platform. Please.

With best wishes,

Ketan

--
Domingos de Oliveira
- Online-Redakteur

Karthäuserstraße 13
53129 Bonn
Telefon: 017632245129
Web: www.oliveira-online.net
www.netz-barrierefrei.de
Mail: domingos20000@googlemail.com
USt-ID: DE273231108

Ketan Kothari

Can you please guide me a bit more? Thank you.

On 1/3/17, Domingos de Oliveira via Groups.Io
<domingos20000=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

dreamwidth.org is very very accessible. they go above and beyond in terms of accessibilitty even though they do not update often. If you want accessible blogging desktop software? There is none.There used to be but not anymore.

David Griffith

Wordpress may be technically accessible but personally I find it extremely confusing and difficult to use.
It is certainly not straightforward.
For example I have recently been stuck in submitting only as draft and using NVDA and Jaws could find no way of amending this o actually publish. Rather than publishing when you hit the publish button you re taken to other options which my screenreader at least struggles to deal with.
In the end I managed to struggle through my wordpress blog settings and managed to change them to allow submission by email which has sorted this to a basic level. Even here on the settings page it was not at all clear. I hit enable buttons but it was not clear as to what these buttons referred to.
More by luck than anything else I managed to make the change.

I think Wordpress has a lot to do to make the site more usable.

David Griffith

On 3 Jan 2017, at 07:10, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:

[...]

Do you use wordpress.com or a self-hosted blog? I have a wordpress on
my server and it works quite well. But perhabs there are differences,
which I don't know. Perhpaps you should contact the wordpress
accessibility team and report your problems to them.

Wordpress.com <http://wordpress.com/> is good though I use it and its
<http://wordpress.com/wp-admin> and then its got me into the site then I
use m.wordpress.com <http://m.wordpress.com/> to access that.

wrote:

Hi friends,

I intend to create personal blog and would be grateful if someone can
guide me to accessible blogging platform. Please.

With best wishes,

Ketan

--
Ketan Kothari
Phone: [r] 24223281,
Cell: 9987550614
MSN ID: muktaketan@hotmail.com
Skype ID: Ketan3333

--
Domingos de Oliveira
- Online-Redakteur

Karthäuserstraße 13
53129 Bonn
Telefon: 017632245129
Web: www.oliveira-online.net
www.netz-barrierefrei.de
Mail: domingos20000@googlemail.com
USt-ID: DE273231108

Using the WP admin dashboard, on wordpress.com, is accessible. I think this guy is trying to use the new interface.
Why not go with Dreamwidth studios? They have many tips on accessibility and have an active accessibility community.

David Griffith

I use wordpress website blog.

Blog address is below.

As far as I am aware I am not trying to use any new interface.

My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
My Blind hammer Blog

--

Domingos de Oliveira

- Online-Redakteur

Karthäuserstraße 13

53129 Bonn

Telefon: 017632245129

Web: www.oliveira-online.net

www.netz-barrierefrei.de

Mail: domingos20000@...

USt-ID: DE273231108

Sarah k Alawami

How odd. I can use wordpress fine, at least on mac, no focus issues. Did you  try hitting the expand button when it comes to the menues?

Take care all.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website: http://tffppodcast.com
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go to http://tffppodcast.com/premium
and for hosting options go to http://tffppodcast.com/hosting
to subscribe to the feed click here:
And for the listen page go here:

On Oct 20, 2017, at 1:04 AM, David Griffith <daj.griffith@...> wrote:

[...]

I don’t think its that oddat all. I have read others complaining  about the difficulties of Wordpress.

To answer your question specifically yes I did attempt to “expand the menus but NVDA appeared to struggle to focus on the results of the expanded menus.

This was also the experience using jas 18 and 2018 using Firefox and Windows 10 but not the Fall update.

There seems to have been some changes on the site recently which has deteriorated the situation. Up until recently I was able to publish OK. Now it seems impossible. As I say I am getting around this by using the email submission feature but this should benot be necessary.

David Griffith

[...]

Just to be clear you are using wordpress.com and not a self hosted wordpres ssite right? If so that might be the issue as that site is a pain in the back side to navigate wiht any screen reader.

On Oct 20, 2017, at 10:06 AM, David Griffith <daj.griffith@...> wrote:

[...]

My Wordpress blog is the first one in my signature .

[...]

Yeah, you are hosting from wordpress.com if I read that correctly. I would maybe try a self hosted wordpress site if you can.

Take care and be blessed.

On Oct 20, 2017, at 11:43 AM, David Griffith <daj.griffith@...> wrote:

[...]

To be honest wordpress.com just doesn't work, wordpress itself is fine I can make blogs and such but yeah its not that good after that.

Your best bet is to log to www.wordpress.com/wp-admin.

Once you login go to m.wordpress.com and a dumbed down wordpress appears you can select which blog to post at and you can post to blogs like that sadly not login like that but still thats how you do it.

The only issue is your dates for posts will be at the end of the post rather than the top but its worked for me.

On 21/10/2017 7:43 a.m., David Griffith wrote:
My Wordpress blog is the first one in my signature .

My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
My Blind hammer Blog

How odd. I can use wordpress fine, at least on mac, no focus issues. Did you  try hitting the expand button when it comes to the menues?
Take care all.
Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website: http://tffppodcast.com
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go to http://tffppodcast.com/premium
and for hosting options go to http://tffppodcast.com/hosting
to subscribe to the feed click here:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/tffp
And for the listen page go here:
http://tffppodcast.com/listen

On Oct 20, 2017, at 1:04 AM, David Griffith <daj.griffith@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Uh, I know some blinds which are using wordpress.com. It's not that easy, but it seems to work.

Am 21.10.2017 um 02:30 schrieb Shaun Everiss:

[...]

Accessibility-Consultant/Online-Redaktion
Karthäuserstr. 13
53129 Bonn
Tel: 0176 322 45 129
Mail: domingos20000@googlemail.com
Web: www.oliveira-online.net

Sadly wordpress.com is not the same as wordpress.org, they try to get you on to their pro options, though since the software is opensource they need to make cash somehow.

The mobile site is good enough but to be honest I have never had issues with it then I only have 1 main blog.

On 22/10/2017 9:11 p.m., Domingos de Oliveira via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Michal Rada

I am using blogger. Its fully accessible if you can do things in form mode of screenreader.