Topics

very, very strange problem

P. Otter

hello all, a friend of mine gave me a braille display, it is a hims sync braille display.
it works fine, all is working properly, but when i want to restart nvda, my computer is crashing completely, it makes a reboot and nvda tells me that the configurationfile is damaged and nvda is back to vactory settings!
i've allso a hims smart beetle, but there was no problem when i try to restart nvda.
i don't know what is the reason that with the sync i can'nt restart nvda but with the smart beetle there is no problem.
and that while the hims sync braille is in the list of braille displays of nvda.
is there anybody who is using also the hims sync braille?
what can that be?
cheers
paul otter

Quentin Christensen

Hi Paul,

NVDA should have created a log of the crash.  If you can copy that here it might help troubleshoot.  Steps for getting the log and information about what it contains can be found here on our GitHub page: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/LogFilesAndCrashDumps

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

P. Otter

hi, i'm afraid that i now know the problem, i'm not sure but i think there is a problem in the driver file syncbraille.dll.
because there is also a problem with the other hims driver that comes with nvda.
that is for the hims smart beetle etc.
but there for i have already the driver that works fine.
but i don't know who i can send that driver (dll) so that they can merge that file in the following version of nvda.
but for the syncbraille i have'nt a good working .dll file.
but i think that's the problem.
after i remove the braille display the hims syncbraille the problem was solved.
perhaps you know where i can send the driver dll for the hims smart beetle the file is called HanSone Connect.dll
cheers
paul otter

[...]

According to the user guide it notes for the Smart Beetle: http://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html?#toc110

and SyncBraille: http://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html?#toc111 that the drivers need to be downloaded from HIMS and installed by the user.  Are we distributing a driver with NVDA?  I don't have either device to test myself.

Also, is there any error message?  Is there a way I can replicate the issue / resolution (if I had a HIMS braille display)?

Regards

Quentin.