From: "CJ" <cj@azabat.org.uk>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2017 2:50 PM
Subject: [nvda] Repetition.

Hello,

after my old Windows 7 Machine gave up the ghost I had the fortune to
have a spare laptop to hand running on Windows 8.1. This seems to work
quite well apart from when I select a programme, say either Firefox or
Thunderbird. I can access these programmes well enough but for reasons I
do not fully understand when selecting say Thunderbird it will repeat
Thunderbird 4 times before shutting up and allowing me to start using
the selected option. I assume that I have made an error when setting
this machine up and am at a loss as to what setting is causing this
repetition problem. If anybody has experienced similar problems along
similar lines to my experience could somebody please advise me how they
rectified this problem or what I have got wrong? Any suggestions and
advice would be most welcome. Thank you, regards, CJ.

Gene

I don't think that is what is being described.  Evidently, when a program opens, the name of the program is repeated a number of times before the program can be worked with.  My question, and noone may know, is if this makes any practical difference.  In other words, even if the name of the program weren't repeated a number of times, the program might still not be able to be worked with for the same period of time or about the same period even if this repetition didn't occur.

In other words, we don't know if this repetition occurs while the program is opening or after it has opened.

Sent: Friday, January 06, 2017 9:24 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Repetition.

Well sometimes this happens if the bit which is focussed  refreshes.
 For example, when  I see items load into the system tray, but focus is on a
desktop item, every time there is a new item in the tray, the desktop item
is read again.
 For example, when dropbox or google drive start it can take a while for
their icon to appear in the tray, so if documents or computer is
highlighted, it says it again each time the tray updates.
I notice it on windows 7 and ten, but do not have 8
 On the other hand I do have a laptop running xp which when it shuts down
has the falling tones of nvda twice.
 The reason for that one eludes me.

So the answer for you is to discover why the desktop or whatever the item
is, maybe the program window title, is refreshed more than once. some
programs do this all the time, speed fan being a case in point. However not
seen it on firefox  I've not tried the 64 bit version, but of course if the
machine has toolbars and add ons in the browser its quite likely as each is
initialised it repeats  much in  the same way as the  download library does
if its open when a download is in progress.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> after my old Windows 7 Machine gave up the ghost I had the fortune to
> have a spare laptop to hand running on Windows 8.1. This seems to work
> quite well apart from when I select a programme, say either Firefox or
> Thunderbird. I can access these programmes well enough but for reasons I
> do not fully understand when selecting say Thunderbird it will repeat
> Thunderbird 4 times before shutting up and allowing me to start using
> the selected option. I assume that I have made an error when setting
> this machine up and am at a loss as to what setting is causing this
> repetition problem. If anybody has experienced similar problems along
> similar lines to my experience could somebody please advise me how they
> rectified this problem or what I have got wrong? Any suggestions and
> advice would be most welcome. Thank you, regards, CJ.

CJ

Thank you for that Brian,

that makes sense to me as a probable cause. Thank you, CJ.

On 06/01/2017 15:24, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
[...]

in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "CJ" <cj@...>

after my old Windows 7 Machine gave up the ghost I had the fortune to
have a spare laptop to hand running on Windows 8.1. This seems to work
quite well apart from when I select a programme, say either Firefox or
Thunderbird. I can access these programmes well enough but for reasons I
do not fully understand when selecting say Thunderbird it will repeat
Thunderbird 4 times before shutting up and allowing me to start using
the selected option. I assume that I have made an error when setting
this machine up and am at a loss as to what setting is causing this
repetition problem. If anybody has experienced similar problems along
similar lines to my experience could somebody please advise me how they
rectified this problem or what I have got wrong? Any suggestions and
advice would be most welcome. Thank you, regards, CJ.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

That is true of course. I have noticed though that often if for example some high load task is happening or the machine is quite slow like a single core machine that it normally repeats the program title at least twice but until some seconds after the final repetition the program is not usable, indeed trying to do so can move one back to the desktop.

On a fast say four core machine, this only happens when a windows update is installing or dropbox is busy doing an update as both of these things pinch a lot of processor time and memory access time.
If the effect goes on all the time I'd also expect huge lags in the file list scrolling in explorer, which is another process that gives away the fact that something is running slowly.
Might be an idea if its a fast machine to check the idle speed settings in windows for the processor. These, on some laptops seem to be set very low and do not rise it seems as quickly as one might wish when the system gets loaded. You can customise the idle speed of the processor in a scheme and I always go for 100 percent if its a desktop.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
[...]

Hi,

thank you for that. Food for thought and this machine is not the quickest  of laptops so you may have made a good point.

Thanks for the thought, my regards, CJ.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene" <gsasner@...>
[...]

no. Windows 8.1 if this helps.

My regards,

after my old Windows 7 Machine gave up the ghost I had the fortune to
have a spare laptop to hand running on Windows 8.1. This seems to work
quite well apart from when I select a programme, say either Firefox or
Thunderbird. I can access these programmes well enough but for reasons I
do not fully understand when selecting say Thunderbird it will repeat
Thunderbird 4 times before shutting up and allowing me to start using
the selected option. I assume that I have made an error when setting
this machine up and am at a loss as to what setting is causing this
repetition problem. If anybody has experienced similar problems along
similar lines to my experience could somebody please advise me how they
rectified this problem or what I have got wrong? Any suggestions and
advice would be most welcome. Thank you, regards, CJ.

Casey <cwollner@...>

hi how do you adjust that processor speed on a desktop computer?
What I mean is where do you go and find this on your system and can someone do this on there own or do they have to have someone that knows what they are doing go in and adjust the processor speed?

--
Casey

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I don't know about 8 but I found it by searching in control panel in both 7 and 10. Its relatively easy, but is paart of the advanced power settings and called something else on later systems. I think its only on multi core machines, at least I've not looked for it in xp for my older machines so I'd imagine it was put in at windows 7.
You get processor idle speed for the three different schemes I think, and none of them seems to be more than 50 percent. Jacking it up to 100 eems to make explorer file scrolling more instant, though if you have several windows open you can still get the wrong file. I'd suspect this is memory access related in some way.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

hi how do you adjust that processor speed on a desktop computer?
What I mean is where do you go and find this on your system and can someone do this on there own or do they have to have someone that knows what they are doing go in and adjust the processor speed?

--
Casey

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

I've oticed (especially with thunderbird) that when the program is busy, NVDA defaults to the desktop instead of the application. Sometimes, I'll get notifications that a particular program isn't responding, though I have no idea what triggers these messages, since sometimes, these messages show up after only a second or two after telling the program in question to do something. It's likely the double speak is happening when the program is busy, and NVDA simply reads the title of the window again, as it flashes or something, to let the sighted user know it's not locked up, just busy.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene" <gsasner@ripco.com>

----- Original Message ----- From: "CJ" <cj@azabat.org.uk>
after my old Windows 7 Machine gave up the ghost I had the fortune to
have a spare laptop to hand running on Windows 8.1. This seems to work
quite well apart from when I select a programme, say either Firefox or
Thunderbird. I can access these programmes well enough but for reasons I
do not fully understand when selecting say Thunderbird it will repeat
Thunderbird 4 times before shutting up and allowing me to start using
the selected option. I assume that I have made an error when setting
this machine up and am at a loss as to what setting is causing this
repetition problem. If anybody has experienced similar problems along
similar lines to my experience could somebody please advise me how they
rectified this problem or what I have got wrong? Any suggestions and
advice would be most welcome. Thank you, regards, CJ.

Windows often says stuff is not responding, most cases it means that the program is just doing something and you have to wait for it if it continues to be that way then its crashed.
Ofcause windows will time out before any program does, the backup software for one of the server drives here takes longer to load then the os thinks so windows always wants to end the program because its not responding, if I wait enough it will run.
And thunderbird has a long start time to.