Roger Stewart

It never worked very well for me either. The best free and open source software I know of is part of the free program from Empowerment Zone called PDF 2 TXT. It will take a programmer to take it apart and turn the OCR engine into an nvda add on but if someone ever does this, it will be super! From my use of it to read PDF files that are scanned in pictures, the accuracy of this little thing is nearly 100%!!

Roger

On 1/11/2017 4:13 PM, Robert Kingett wrote:
Does anyone know of any free or open source software? I can't seem to get the OCR add on to work. Any suggestions?

kelby carlson

I remember that program. I have Kurzweil now, but I didn't know you could use it to do OCR.

----- Original Message -----
From: Roger Stewart <paganus2@...>
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Date: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 6:01 pm
Subject: Re: [nvda] OCR software?

It never worked very well for me either. The best free and open source
software I know of is part of the free program from Empowerment Zone
called PDF 2 TXT. It will take a programmer to take it apart and turn
the OCR engine into an nvda add on but if someone ever does this, it
will be super! From my use of it to read PDF files that are scanned in
pictures, the accuracy of this little thing is nearly 100%!!

Roger

On 1/11/2017 4:13 PM, Robert Kingett wrote:
Does anyone know of any free or open source software? I can't seem to
get the OCR add on to work. Any suggestions?

com=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#13561): https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/13561
View All Messages In Topic (2): https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topic/4098356
Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/4098356?uid=152659
New Topic: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/post
com=-=-
NVDA on groups.io

Get NVDA from: http://www.nvaccess.org/
http://www.nvaccess.org/donate
Other links:
Get NVDA add-ons at:
http://addons.nvda-project.org/
NVDA on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8601265515
Get SkypeTalking for NVDA:
http://skypetalking.googlecode.com/
com=-=-
Change Your Subscription: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/editsub?uid=152659
Group Home: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda
Contact Group Owner: nvda+owner@nvda.groups.io
com=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Does anyone have a link to this PDF2TXT installer? I am finding a lot of third party installers that I am sure have adware in them. I installed Unchecky to combat this, but still!

Gene

You don't have to go through all that.  There are free OCR engines.  I don't know how good they are but the one used in PDF to Txt converter is one of the free ones.  You aren't gaining anything by trying to take the OCR program out of that program.  If you don't get specific discussion or recommendations here, you can do a Google search and find free OCR programs.  Or you can ask on another list for recommendations.

From: Roger Stewart  <paganus2@...>
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Date: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 6:01 pm

> It never worked very well for me either.  The best free and open source
> software I know of is part of the free program from Empowerment Zone
> called PDF 2 TXT.  It will take a programmer to take it apart and turn
> the OCR engine into an nvda add on but if someone ever does this, it
> will be super!  From my use of it to read PDF files that are scanned in
> pictures, the accuracy of this little thing is nearly 100%!!
>
> Roger
>

> On 1/11/2017 4:13 PM, Robert Kingett wrote:
> > Does anyone know of any free or open source software? I can't seem to
> > get the OCR add on to work. Any suggestions?
> >

> com=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> Groups.io Links:
>
> You receive all messages sent to this group.
>
> View/Reply Online (#13561): https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/13561
> View All Messages In Topic (2): https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topic/4098356
> Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/4098356?uid=152659
> New Topic: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/post
> com=-=-
> NVDA on groups.io
>
> NVDA is developed by NV Access in collaboration with the community.
> Get NVDA from: http://www.nvaccess.org/
> Your continued donations help keep NVDA development going strong. Donate at:
> http://www.nvaccess.org/donate
> Other links:
> Come talk with other NVDA users on irc.blufudge.net #NVDA
> Get NVDA add-ons at:
> http://addons.nvda-project.org/
> NVDA on Facebook:
> Get SkypeTalking for NVDA:
> http://skypetalking.googlecode.com/
> com=-=-
> Change Your Subscription: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/editsub?uid=152659
> Group Home: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda
> Contact Group Owner: nvda+owner@nvda.groups.io
> Terms of Service: https://groups.io/static/tos
> com=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Gene

According to what I've seen on another list, Empowerment Zone has been down for a number of months.  As I said in an earlier message, don't bother with the program unless you want to use it as intended.  You can get free OCR programs from other sources.

Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 5:59 PM

Does anyone have a link to this PDF2TXT installer? I am finding a lot of
third party installers that I am sure have adware in them. I installed
Unchecky to combat this, but still!

hi.
i know only google OCr

On 1/12/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
According to what I've seen on another list, Empowerment Zone has been down
for a number of months. As I said in an earlier message, don't bother with
the program unless you want to use it as intended. You can get free OCR
programs from other sources.

Does anyone have a link to this PDF2TXT installer? I am finding a lot of
third party installers that I am sure have adware in them. I installed
Unchecky to combat this, but still!

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

If you're looking for OCR specifically for PDF files, have a look at this message I posted earlier in the year.

 He discloses the workings of a mind to which incoherence lends an illusion of profundity.

         ~ T. De Vere White

Roger Stewart

Also, can those who know the OCR engine that is use in PDF 2 TXT please give me the link to get it or at least give me the name of the OCR engine so I can search for it?

Thanks.

Roger

On 1/11/2017 5:59 PM, Robert Kingett wrote:
Does anyone have a link to this PDF2TXT installer? I am finding a lot of third party installers that I am sure have adware in them. I installed Unchecky to combat this, but still!

.

Antony Stone

Assuming that http://www.pdf2txt.com/ is the program people have been talking
about (there is another application called PDF2TXT which runs on Linux
systems, but I doubt that that's what's been discussed here), then given that
it's not free (you can use it for 30 days as a trial version, and it costs
US$35 after that), I doubt that the OCR engine behind it is going to be
available to anyone to turn into an NVDA addon (unless the author is prepared
to share the source code under an NDA and for the result then to be a paid
add-on).

See http://www.pdf2txt.com/eula.htm for the licensing details.

Antony.

--
I'm not impossible, just highly implausible.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Doug Parisian <eggmann@...>

While slightly off topic for this list, I might end the diversion, respectfully of course, by providing the following link for the Image to tedxt conversion package. The assumption is that if you want to read print, you have means of scanning it and then processing the image through the software.

With all the programming wizzards on this list, perhaps someone can provide a way for combo printer-scanners to integrate? Just a thought!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9cvb52w0wfgwyqm/p2tsetup.exe?dl=1

Also, can those who know the OCR engine that is use in PDF 2 TXT please
give me the link to get it or at least give me the name of the OCR
engine so I can search for it?

Thanks.

Roger

On 1/11/2017 5:59 PM, Robert Kingett wrote:
Does anyone have a link to this PDF2TXT installer? I am finding a lot of third party installers that I am sure have adware in them. I installed Unchecky to combat this, but still!

.

kelby carlson

That isn't the PDF2TXt being referred to. The program may not be online anymore.

On 1/12/17, Doug Parisian <@eggmann> wrote:
[...]

Dave Grossoehme

Good Afternoon: You might check out the programs link on www://jaws-users.com and see if this is the program you are looking for.
Y our Friend Dave

Also, can those who know the OCR engine that is use in PDF 2 TXT please
give me the link to get it or at least give me the name of the OCR
engine so I can search for it?

Thanks.

Roger

On 1/11/2017 5:59 PM, Robert Kingett wrote:
Does anyone have a link to this PDF2TXT installer? I am finding a lot of
third party installers that I am sure have adware in them. I installed
Unchecky to combat this, but still!

.

One of the things I'm having trouble understanding here is the context or contexts for the OCR processing being discussed:

  1. At the time of scanning an actual print document on a flatbed or feeder scanner.
  2. In an existing document, such as an image scanned PDF or an actual image itself that is known to be an image of a page of text.
  3. "On the fly" in something that's an image being presented in, say, a web browser that one would like to have read.

Virtually any relatively recent, and by that I do not mean new, scanner or multi-function machine will come with an OCR engine as part of its manufacturers software suite.  Canon, HP, Kodak, and other multi-function machines I've worked with were all able to scan with OCR as part of the scan and, as it happened, their scanner control software was also accessible by screen reader.  I've been using Canon's multi-functions for years now, and even the cheapest one (read: cost about $30 ten years ago) had a software suite included with it that featured OCR as an integral part of scanning if one identified what one was scanning as a document.

I've repeatedly mentioned that Tracker Software makes two excellent free pieces of software that, while not 100% accessible, are 100% accessible for doing OCR processing on image PDFs with a remarkable level of accuracy and that also feature free language packs if you're not scanning documents in English.  See either PDF-XChange Viewer or PDF-XChange Editor.

The "on the fly" instance is one where I don't know of anything off the top of my head.

 He discloses the workings of a mind to which incoherence lends an illusion of profundity.

         ~ T. De Vere White

I wonder if the software called "Text Cloner" is still around. For what it was/did, that was a cool little program!

Chris.

[...]

Andrea Sherry

Yes it is. However it is very over priced for what it does.

Andrea

On 13/01/2017 10:58 AM, Christopher-Mark Gilland wrote:
[...]

I'm not talking about the Complete Reading System. I'm talking about just Text Cloner.

Anyway, do you recall how much it is? I don't want nor need it, but I'm just curious. I kind a remember it being like, $60 or something, which I agree, is quite pricey, then it seems like the Complete Reading System was like, $99, I think?

Chris.

[...]

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

not all units come with the OCR part built into the software

My last scanner a HP did not have that function.

The unit before had the OCR softwre built into it, but none of it was accessible by a screen reader. It was a cannon.

When you do look at a new unit sometimes it says it on the box  or you might have to see if it comes with the software.

Gene nz

.

On 13/01/2017 12:42 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

[...]

andy.tidwell

Hello Chris yes text cloner is still around it is now called text cloner pro and the version I have is 11.5 and it does work with windows 10.

[...]

Jesus dyed for us, why can't we live for him?

Life My Way

from what i know it is still around