Accessible Internet Speed Test

Hello,
Does anyone know of an accessible internet speed test? Most of the speed tests I have found only show speeds in a flash frame.
Thanks,

Hello,

Go to:

http://beta.speedtest.net

This is beta, but it is good enough. It is based on HTML5 technology, if I'm not mistaking. Find the link labeled "GO!" and activate it. The internet speed test will start. You'll be notified when it is completed and the results from it. But you can manually read the results on the page - find the link labeled "Again" and read the information after it - it contains the test results.

Note, that if you are using Firefox for the testing, NVDA may get a lot chatty during the test and repeat that the test is over 50% completed a lot of times. Use Internet Explorer to do the testing if you don't want to hear all that chattiness - it does not occur in it. Hmm, could this chattiness be a Firefox issue? Maybe we should report it?

______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev

На 12.1.2017 г. в 19:15, Brandon Keith Biggs написа:

Hello,
Does anyone know of an accessible internet speed test? Most of the speed tests I have found only show speeds in a flash frame.
Thanks,

Arlene

[...]

It worked great for me! Thank you!
I would like it if it gave more information like your IP address and whatnot as well, but currently I got all I needed.
Thanks,

[...]

Shaun Oliver

yes, it does. I just tested it here and found it worked rather well.

[...]

I did as well. It finds your location.

[...]

Actually, I think it gives you that information too: The name of your internet service provider and your IP address - they appear one after the other. Just read the information after the link labeled "Again" after the test is done. It starts with the name and location of the server used to do the testing (the end point) - they are links. After that is the name of your internet service provider and after that - your IP address. Then there is some sort of rating information. After that are the results of your internet speed test.

______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev

На 12.1.2017 г. в 21:04, Brandon Keith Biggs написа:

[...]

Louis Maher <ljmaher@...>

Folks,

In the speed test, does MBPS mean megabytes per second, or megabits per second?

Regards

Louis Maher

Phone: 713-444-7838

[...]

It is "megabits per second". That is the speed set by default. I think the user can change it to something else by opening the link "Settings" on the page.

______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev

На 12.1.2017 г. в 22:03, Louis Maher написа:

[...]

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

These guys measure in bytes per second.

You'll also likely need to round to the nearest 100.  I.E. my download came in at 27.63MBPS.  I know my download is 25 MBPS actually, so rounding to the nearest 100 would actually give me 27MBPS, but apparently I just hit a good timeframe on the network,.  On the other hand, my upload speed came in at 4.59MBPS, which I also know should be 5MBPS, so rounding to the nearest 100 would give accurate results on that one.  I'm guessing my provider doesn't optimize for uploads. :)

On 1/12/2017 1:15 PM, Kostadin Kolev wrote:

[...]

Avast logo

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Sorry, they measure in bits, not bytes.  If you want bytes per second, you'll need to divide by 10 (must allow for start and stop bits for each byte) to get your speed in bytes per second.  Sorry for the confusion.  Most things mean bits when they say MBPS.  I guess bigger numbers sound better, so ...

On 1/12/2017 3:24 PM, Travis Siegel wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure if I remember this correctly but as far as I know, whether things like mbps are written in capital or small letters determines what the unit of measure is.  Someone else may provide definite information.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2017 2:27 PM

[...]

Hello, It does! It tells you your ip address and your provider. For example Concast. Or whatever you use.

[...]

Kevin Chao

https://fast.com/ from Netflix is what I use and find it to be clean and accessible

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 2:20 PM Arlene <nedster66@...> wrote:

[...]

Suptic, Paul <psuptic@...>

Bing has a built in speedtest that is accessible as well with two ways to access it.

The more complex way is to open bing.com, and just search for speedtest.  Along with the normal search results, Bing will display its own speedtest.  The title of the test is the page main landmark as well as a level 4 heading called “Speed testID - <your IP number>”.

One Tab gets you to the test start button, there is no indication that the test is running once you activate Start, but it will say “Start” again when it is done.

One Tab will read your Ping, the next Tab reads your download speed and one more Tab reads your upload speed.

The other way to use it is a direct link, but there is no guarantee they will let it stay directly linkable:

www.bing.com/widget/t/speedtest

This loads with you landing on the start button.  After activating it you will hear “Start” the second time to indicate the test is done.  Use the Tab key as above to read your information.

[...]

There is no reason to press the start button again once it is announced.  Just look at the page.  The results are there.  it would make no logical sense for the test to require start to be pressed twice.

[...]

Correct, you only have to activate the start button once.  Once the test has run you screen reader will announce “Start” a second time, as there is no other audio indication while it runs.

For reference, NVDA will read “Start” a second time, JAWS does not read anything or give any indication that the test has finished.

This may have been have been a good candidate for three assertive ARIA live regions for the results, since forcing the announcement of each as they populate would also show that the test was running.

[...]

Testing on the latest version of Firefox, and the latest production version of NVDA using XP, this is an example of a page that doesn't work with JAWS or NVDA.
It gets stuck.  I can close the program without a problem and nothing crashes but speech stops or almost completely does.  Whether the screen-reader stops performing or whether the browser stops or both is something I don't know.  I couldn't use the site with XP Narrator but when I tested with it, I was able to tab around and hear some fields read.

In short, whether this is a problem for the Firefox developers to solve or for NVDA, I don't know.  I'm presenting it here to see if others report the same problem testing on different machines and versions of Windows and in case those who work on NVDA want to experiment..

I haven't tested other sites or pages with up-to-date versions of NVDA and I don't remember which versions of Firefox I tried, but I've found one or two other sites or pages recently that appear to have the same or similar behavior.

[...]

I would like more people to test if they can.  It works and is accessible for me on a Windows 7 machine in FireFox and Chrome with NVDA, on Windows 10 with Chrome and FireFox (Edge of course is not accessible) and on Windows 10 preview with Chrome and Firefox.

[...]

It works for me just fine on windows 8.1 with chrome.