Using HumanWare Brailliant BI 40 with NVDA

Daniel Gartmann

Hi,

I tried withouth success to use the BI 40 from HumanWare with the 2019.2.1 version of NVDA.

I tried connecting with the "Auto" option in the Braille settings via USB.

Is anybody out there using the HumanWare Brailliant BI 40 with NVDA and how?

Since I am using a device that is not my own, I can't do much testing myself. But while I have it for preparing a JAWS training, I couldn't resist the temptation to try it out with NVDA.

Thanks for your input.

Daniel

David Csercsics <bleeblat@...>

I use this all the time. I just plug it in via USB and it works. Did you install the USB drivers from humanware?

Daniel Gartmann

In fact, I didn't install the USB driver since it should work without them when using the Open Braille protocol. But, I guess I am missing something then.

What is your display set to?

Daniel

I use this all the time. I just plug it in via USB and it works. Did you install the USB drivers from humanware?

David Csercsics <bleeblat@...>

Mine is set to HumanWare protocol, because as far as I know, automatic detection doesn't work with OpenBraille. But you should be able to set the driver to HumanWare brailliant bi in NVDA manually, and it should work. OpenBraille lags a bit, which is why I don't use it. But I can understand why you'd want to, if you also intend to use the Brailliant with narrator, since narrator didn't seem to work unless I enabled openbraille.

Cristóbal

While it works for me, the six command keys don't seem to be supported.

Cristóbal

I use this all the time. I just plug it in via USB and it works. Did you install the USB drivers from humanware?

David Csercsics <bleeblat@...>

So are you saying the command keys only work with the HumanWare protocol? That's good to know.