locked looking for a good compute stick

coffeekingms@hotmail.com

hi all

My birthday is coming up next month and I'm stuck between an iPod nano,
or a compute stick. I'm not sure what they're actually supposed to be
called,but what I'm talking about is a miniature computer that
terminates in an HDMI port which connects to an HDTV or projector, with
enough storage, bluetooth, wi fi, and a micro sd card slot to use as an
every day laptop. I've looked around a little, but they're quite
expensive, about the cheapest I've run across that sounds like it might
be powerful enough to run both windows 10 and sonar linux well is the
acer chromebot, which is around 90 dollars. The thing about chrome OS
devices is that I don't know a thing about them. They're linux
underneath the google, but I don't know if they're as easy to duel boot
as a regular x86 or x64 pc is. Does anyone know of a good device that
would do this for at least a reasonable price? I'd say around my
absolute top would be $150, and for that it had better be top of the
line or mellisa will ... well she won't be happy. I don't have many
requirements, but I'd like it to be able to run windows 10 at least
reasonably well, including some casual gaming like killer instinct, the
windows 10 version, and emulated systems like the gamecube, wii and n64,
and that it have a micro sd card slot, wi fi and bluetooth. Three or
four USB ports would be nice, but not essential at all, I can just get a
USB hub if I have to for extra ports. A package deal where one comes
with the device, a hub and maybe a bluetooth keyboard would be nice, but
I don't want to complicate things, so not at all necessary, just
convenient. I have a keyboard already. It's a logitech, and it uses one
of those wireless receivers. I'll shut up now lol.

Thanks

Kendell Clark

--
Without coffee, life is not worth living. Anonymous

Antony Stone

I know of the sort of "compute stick"s you're talking about - I think the
best-known ones are the Amazon Fire TV Stick, and the Apple TV.

However, I don't know what the Acer Chromebot is - please can you provide a
link to more information about this? If it can run Windows 10, and Linux, and
costs $90, that sounds like an interesting product!

Thanks,

Antony.

On Friday 13 January 2017 at 19:45:10, coffeekingms@hotmail.com wrote:

[...]

The Magic Words are Squeamish Ossifrage.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

coffeekingms@hotmail.com

hi

I'll have to find it on amazon, shouldn't be too hard. I know it can run
linux, because chrome OS is linux, but I'm not positive about windows.
It should, if it's just a regular 64 bit computer with the kind of
hardware you'd find in a desktop or laptop, but miniaturized. If it has
the sort of hardware you'd find in a smartphone or tablet, also called
the ARM architecture, windows won't run on it. Well, it will, but only a
stripped down version without the desktop or accessibility support meant
to run on something called internet of things, whatever that is. I'll
post a link hear once I find it.

Thanks

Kendell Clark

On 1/13/2017 1:19 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I look forward to the link.

As far as Windows running on ARM is concerned, are you familiar with Windows
RT https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_RT ?

Antony.

On Friday 13 January 2017 at 21:21:49, coffeekingms@hotmail.com wrote:

[...]

Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

Hi, compute stick is intel's model of tiny personal computer.

Here is a link to computestick first generation with windows 10:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014N4CZE2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B014N4CZE2&linkCode=as2&tag=inclusivean03-20&linkId=b216c581e63a0da38d2277aaa219e995

Here is a link to the current generation with windows 10:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=as_li_qf_sp_sr_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=inclusivean03-20&keywords=intel computestick&index=aps&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=xm2&linkId=a7ceb8363e1963a1f8e899b438362d3c

These are both in your price range. Asside from them getting warm and not having an anolog audio jack, I'm pretty happy with the first generation. I hacked it to ubuntoo using images and instructions I found online. There's an hdmi, one usb, and one SD on the first generation model. I haven't looked closely at the second generation, but for the pricepoint, I would definitely give it a glance.

I hope this helps,

Erik

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On January 13, 2017 1:46:09 PM "coffeekingms@hotmail.com" <coffeekingms@hotmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Hello I am unable to get the second link to load it raps and I can't get the link to work can you please repost?

thanks

Hank

On 1/13/2017 2:19 PM, erik burggraaf wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I think the only one I've seen is the intel one. Not bothered with it as it does seem to be a bit of a gimmick at the moment. Maybe this will take off, don't know. Seems you can build anything into a usb or hdmi dongle these days.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

slery <slerythema@...>

Thanks for these links. Is there a list some where for discussing these
(specifically with accessibility in mind)? I might entertain one of these
for my next build (found one that is actually bigger than a stick but still
way smaller than the tower on my computer that I built from scratch).

Cindy

[...]

Hi, I take it you got the links to work then? Some one reported a failure, but before I had time to look into it, the message got deleted by my over enthusiastic cleanup procedure.

I don't know of a list specifically for computestick. I'm not certain what the point would be as they are only intel's proprietary version of a standard windows PC and there are entire and decently accessible websites dedicated to information abut hacking them. The only real pitfall I've come across yet is the lack of an anolog audio out, but since the thing is intended for use in home theatres and most monitors have some audio support nowadays, few people aut to be effected by the lack of a 3.5 mm jack for hooking up speakers.

It's kind'a O/t but I'll be happy to answer any questions you have as I can. My parents have the first generation. For the price difference, I would only consider the 2nd gen at this point. It wasn't an option when my parents were in the market.

Best,

On January 17, 2017 1:25:28 AM "slery" <slerythema@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Hello again, Here are corrected links... I hope.

http://amzn.to/2iD7TbV

[...]

Hello

I still can't get the second link to work

On 1/17/2017 7:36 AM, erik burggraaf wrote:
[...]

disregard last message I got the links to work

On 1/17/2017 7:52 AM, erik burggraaf wrote:
[...]

My only question would be whether getting it with some form of linux or
no OS would be any cheaper? I have no objection to windows, obvious I
plan to run it along with my own linux distribution called sonar, but I
don't really want to be charged for the windows license when I already
have one. Are there off brands of the thing? I've come across a few, and
the only one that looks good other than the intel one which looks fine
is the acer chromebit, not chromebot. I don't know if chrome OS can be
duel booted and I wouldn't use the chrome OS part, I'd be buying it for
the hardware inside. As long as it can handle casual games, like the
windows 10 edition of killer instinct and emulated consoles like the
game cube and n64 it'll serve my needs nicely. Not that you have to
answer all of this or anything, the only reason I'm bringing it up is
because I can't really find a lot of info about them. Most of them say
simply intel hd graphics or nvidia graphics but don't go into detail
about the specific card, and I'd hate to buy one only to find out the
games lag or windows or linux doesn't work well on them. My one big
requirement is that they not have broadcom wireless or bluetooth chips
in them. I've had nothing but bad luck with broadcom, on both windows
and linux, and I just prefer to avoid them. This is not your job to
research everything, I can do my own research, just basically rambling
at this point lol.

Thanks

Kendell Clark

On 1/17/2017 8:52 AM, erik burggraaf wrote:
[...]

Hi, I can only speak for the intel compute stick at this point. The linux version is five or 10 bucks cheeper, but it scrimps on hardware. In particular, I believe the linux version has only half the ram of the windows version. Intel tried to force windows on their high end compute stick by using microsoft proprietary boot loader, but it was hacked within 6 months of the release. Considering the difference in price vs performance, and assuming you have a resident sightling to help you tweak the boot options in bios, just go for the win version and install a supported hack. I used ubuntoo. I suggest you start by looking at the work that was done for ubuntoo, and then search to see if any one has done something similar for sonar.

I sure don't mind answering questions as long as I know the answers. If people use my amazon links, then I get money towards development on inclusiveandroid.com, so I do get something out of it too.

Have fun,

Erik
On January 17, 2017 8:45:42 PM "coffeekingms@hotmail.com" <coffeekingms@hotmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Hacked within six months? Now why does that not surprise me? Also, I
sort of expected you guys, meaning the NVDA community, to be windows
centric. It was like that when I left, but it's gotten a lot better
while I was gone. You know, windows only and so on, but you guys seem
open to all manner of things, windows and linux included. Since I plan
to run windows on the compute sticks, I definitely want one that's
powerful enough to run windows, and of course anything that's powerful
enough to run windows will run linux. As for sonar, I sort of doubt
anyone has done anything specific for us since we're really small, but
if it uses anything standard, like bios or uefi, it will boot like any
other OS. I've bookmarked all the links you've sent me and if I like one
of the ones you've steered me to I'll buy it, so you get a little
something, I have no problem helping people out. My only issue with them
isn't with your help, you've been amazingly helpful, but it's with the
prices. They jump from being cheap but slow to fast but way out of my
price range, we're talking in the 3 to 4 hundred dollar range.

Thanks

Kendell Clark

On 1/18/2017 7:16 AM, erik burggraaf wrote:
[...]

Oooh, I just double checked and realized the amazon price for the second generation is $350. If you can get it from the third party seller for $140, do that, but I don't think $350 is reasonable for what's inside that stick. They do refer to some other brand name solutions such as Lenovo though. If I were going to pay $350 it would be for one of those after careful consideration.

As you say, this is a pretty good group. I don't prefer windows myself, but when I go back to work, NVDA will be my prefered solution as employers will probably expect me to use windows. I taught everything in the days of my training consultancy, and NVDA helped out a number of my former customers who were placed in substancially bad situations by their funding provider or let's face it, sometimes just through their own lack of preparation.