Topics

Returning from Sleep or Hybernation #adminnotice #cal-invite #cal-reminder #addonrelease

Thomas Stivers

All,

I have my laptop set up to sleep when I close the lid while plugged in and hibernate when I close the lid on battery. This is working well as far as NVDA coming back when I return from sleep, but I would like a way to get a spoken announcement when the computer is ready to use after waking up.

Before I start trying to put something together with an add-on for NVDA or an autoHotKey script I'd like to know if anyone else has solved this.

Thank you,

Thomas    

Hi,

Yes and maybe:

• Yes, there is an add-on out there called power notifier (or something similar).
  • Maybe, as the add-on in question is undergoing code review by NV Access at the moment.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Thomas Stivers
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2017 7:07 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Returning from Sleep or Hybernation #addonrelease #adminnotice #addonrelease #adminnotice #cal-invite #cal-reminder #cal-invite #adminnotice

All,

I have my laptop set up to sleep when I close the lid while plugged in and hibernate when I close the lid on battery. This is working well as far as NVDA coming back when I return from sleep, but I would like a way to get a spoken announcement when the computer is ready to use after waking up.

Before I start trying to put something together with an add-on for NVDA or an autoHotKey script I'd like to know if anyone else has solved this.

Thank you,

Thomas    

I have never had this issue at least on 7 nvda usually anounces the desktop or something when it comes back.
Another thing I have done is play some music just before I hybernate and then when it comes back I know.
I have never had any issues though, I never really hybernate unless I am running eurofly or need to be away for a little while only.
If I am away for a long time I tend to shut down the system entirely.

On 15/01/2017 4:06 a.m., Thomas Stivers wrote:
All,

Thank you,

Thomas

I have my machine set to hibernate if I shut the cover and if I actually want to make it Sleep I simply do that via the power button first.

That being said, I never shut the cover and never shut down the machine when it's on AC power.  Particularly with the advent of Windows 10 and the active hours settings related to Windows Updates I want it running during my "inactive hours" so that it can do its thing then.  I have never made a habit of turning off a computer when it has AC power to it unless there is a specific reason to do so such as my being away on vacation for several weeks.

--
Brian

He discloses the workings of a mind to which incoherence lends an illusion of profundity.

~ T. De Vere White

Thomas Stivers

Thank you Joseph. Power Notifier is exactly what I am looking for. My apologies for all the hashtags. The combo box behaved *unexpectedly*.

Have a great day,

Thomas

Gene

I use a command like read title or I might press up or down arrow if I want to know if the computer is ready.  While there is nothing wrong with something that would speak, doing something like issuing the NVDA key t command to see if you get a proper response is so easy that I question whether it's worth the time and effort to create an automatic announce add on.

Gene 

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2017 12:48 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Returning from Sleep or Hybernation #addonrelease #adminnotice #addonrelease #adminnotice #cal-invite #cal-reminder #cal-invite #adminnotice

I have never had this issue at least on 7 nvda usually anounces the
desktop or something when it comes back.
Another thing I have done is play some music just before I hybernate and
then when it comes back I know.
I have never had any issues though, I never really hybernate unless I am
  running eurofly or need to be away for a little while only.

> All,
>
> I have my laptop set up to sleep when I close the lid while plugged in and hibernate when I close the lid on battery. This is working well as far as NVDA coming back when I return from sleep, but I would like a way to get a spoken announcement when the computer is ready to use after waking up.
>
> Before I start trying to put something together with an add-on for NVDA or an autoHotKey script I'd like to know if anyone else has solved this.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Thomas
>

Also, since mouse tracking is on by default, even if you don't use the mouse or mouse pad routinely, all you need to do is randomly move the mouse around and NVDA will start talking if it's ready to speak.

On laptops I routinely tell my clients not to disable the mousepad, but to cover it with a small square of stiff cardboard taped down on one side so that it can be flipped open like a book.  This way they can use the native left and right mouse buttons if they so desire and, when someone sighted wants/needs to use their computer, the mouse feature is there at the flip of a piece of cardboard.  For those with desktop machines with an optical mouse one can do the same thing by covering the opening for the laser on the underside of the mouse.  This allows it to be used for "is NVDA awake" checking with ease and then you flip the cover over the laser and put the mouse back down again, which also gives you access to the native left and right mouse click buttons if you wish to use them.
--
Brian

He discloses the workings of a mind to which incoherence lends an illusion of profundity.

~ T. De Vere White

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

No but I do have some issues with some machines coming back from hibernate not seeing the network be it hard wired or wifi, which is a great shame as as you say, nvda seems pretty good.
I guess you could just try it. I don't see how this might be possible as hibernate is like a snapshot I always thought having no idea its been away, so to speak.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2017 3:06 PM
Subject: [nvda] Returning from Sleep or Hybernation #addonrelease #adminnotice #addonrelease #adminnotice #cal-invite #cal-reminder #cal-invite #adminnotice

All,

Thank you,

Thomas

Itcertainly seems to help if every few wake ups you do a shut down, since I think errors and stuff get to build up otherwise.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2017 6:48 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Returning from Sleep or Hybernation #addonrelease #adminnotice #addonrelease #adminnotice #cal-invite #cal-reminder #cal-invite #adminnotice

I have never had this issue at least on 7 nvda usually anounces the desktop or something when it comes back.
Another thing I have done is play some music just before I hybernate and then when it comes back I know.
I have never had any issues though, I never really hybernate unless I am running eurofly or need to be away for a little while only.

All,

Thank you,

Thomas

Argh. I always unplug mouses and turn off mouse pads on my machines. There is far too great a risk of it doing something silly otherwise.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2017 9:15 PM

Also, since mouse tracking is on by default, even if you don't use the mouse or mouse pad routinely, all you need to do is randomly move the mouse around and NVDA will start talking if it's ready to speak.

On laptops I routinely tell my clients not to disable the mousepad, but to cover it with a small square of stiff cardboard taped down on one side so that it can be flipped open like a book. This way they can use the native left and right mouse buttons if they so desire and, when someone sighted wants/needs to use their computer, the mouse feature is there at the flip of a piece of cardboard. For those with desktop machines with an optical mouse one can do the same thing by covering the opening for the laser on the underside of the mouse. This allows it to be used for "is NVDA awake" checking with ease and then you flip the cover over the laser and put the mouse back down again, which also gives you access to the native left and right mouse click buttons if you wish to use them.
--
*Brian*

* * *He discloses the workings of a mind to which incoherence * *lends an illusion of profundity.*

* ~ T. De Vere White*

Thomas Stivers

Windows sends a message to running programs when it returns from sleep or hibernation. The power notify add-on uses this to cause NVDA to beep as soon as the computer is awake. It also speaks when the AC adapter is plugged or unplugged. The add-on is pretty basic, but it gets the job done.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian's Mail list account
Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2017 4:27 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Returning from Sleep or Hybernation #addonrelease #adminnotice #addonrelease #adminnotice #cal-invite #cal-reminder #cal-invite innotice

No but I do have some issues with some machines coming back from hibernate not seeing the network be it hard wired or wifi, which is a great shame as as you say, nvda seems pretty good.
I guess you could just try it. I don't see how this might be possible as hibernate is like a snapshot I always thought having no idea its been away, so to speak.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

All,

Thank you,

Thomas

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 02:32 am, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
There is far too great a risk of it doing something silly otherwise.

Actually, there really isn't if you're mindful about what's set up and you follow the advice I've given.   Been there, done that with more clients than I care to count.

There is an irrational fear of the mouse on the whole, and you make one of NVDA's more powerful features, mouse tracking, useless when you make it impossible to use the mouse or mousepad.

But to each his or her own. 

--
Brian

~ T. De Vere White

Well sometimes I get that to be honest it could be a number of things, my wireless gets knocked off all the time wireless is not as stable as wired and it can get interfierence.
If its doing that then faulty hardware or drivers is the first.
Next I'd try updating the bios.
I don't know, I have forgot but somewhere in manuals or if you use support or call your computer company there should be a command to do a reformat of the bios.
Its to make sure the bios has refreshed when updating sometimes it doesn't.
That can lead to issues.

On 15/01/2017 11:27 p.m., Brian's Mail list account wrote:
No but I do have some issues with some machines coming back from
hibernate not seeing the network be it hard wired or wifi, which is a
great shame as as you say, nvda seems pretty good.
I guess you could just try it. I don't see how this might be possible as
hibernate is like a snapshot I always thought having no idea its been
away, so to speak.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Stivers"
<@Thomas_Stivers>
Subject: [nvda] Returning from Sleep or Hybernation #addonrelease
#adminnotice #addonrelease #adminnotice #cal-invite #cal-reminder
#cal-invite #adminnotice

All,

I have my laptop set up to sleep when I close the lid while plugged in
and hibernate when I close the lid on battery. This is working well as
far as NVDA coming back when I return from sleep, but I would like a way
to get a spoken announcement when the computer is ready to use after
waking up.

Before I start trying to put something together with an add-on for NVDA
or an autoHotKey script I'd like to know if anyone else has solved this.

Thank you,

Thomas

Mouse stuff is fine, its just that windows touch is not as
good as it could bee which in it self is a bit of a downer.

On 15/01/2017 11:32 p.m., Brian's Mail list account wrote:
Argh. I always unplug mouses and turn off mouse pads on my machines.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Vogel" <@britechguy>
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2017 9:15 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Returning from Sleep or Hybernation #addonrelease
#cal-invite #adminnotice

Also, since mouse tracking is on by default, even if you don't use the
mouse or mouse pad routinely, all you need to do is randomly move the
mouse around and NVDA will start talking if it's ready to speak.

On laptops I routinely tell my clients not to disable the mousepad, but
to cover it with a small square of stiff cardboard taped down on one
side so that it can be flipped open like a book. This way they can use
the native left and right mouse buttons if they so desire and, when
someone sighted wants/needs to use their computer, the mouse feature is
there at the flip of a piece of cardboard. For those with desktop
machines with an optical mouse one can do the same thing by covering the
opening for the laser on the underside of the mouse. This allows it to
be used for "is NVDA awake" checking with ease and then you flip the
cover over the laser and put the mouse back down again, which also gives
you access to the native left and right mouse click buttons if you wish
to use them.
--
*Brian*

* * *He discloses the workings of a mind to which incoherence * *lends
an illusion of profundity.*

* ~ T. De Vere White*

Well, I speak as I find. Its often a cluttered desk and modern mouses do seem to have issues over feather light buttons. Mouse pads on laptops often accept double taps on the pad as selections and the pad seems always to be put into the position where typing hands edge of palms catches them.

I think a track ball may well be better in these respects.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2017 4:19 PM

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 02:32 am, Brian's Mail list account wrote:

Actually, there really isn't if you're mindful about what's set up and you follow the advice I've given. Been there, done that with more clients than I care to count.

There is an irrational fear of the mouse on the whole, and you make one of NVDA's more powerful features, mouse tracking, useless when you make it impossible to use the mouse or mousepad.

But to each his or her own.

--
*Brian*

* * *He discloses the workings of a mind to which incoherence * *lends an illusion of profundity.*

* ~ T. De Vere White*

Well, most of my machines are old castoffs in any case, but I'd not considered the bios I have to say. My laptop is always moaning about it saying that if you update to a 64 bit system you will have to update the bios. However I have no intention of bothering about that as it will mean finding drivers etc.
When you use access software like nvda, I'd say if tis not broken don't fix it.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2017 8:25 PM

Well sometimes I get that to be honest it could be a number of things, my wireless gets knocked off all the time wireless is not as stable as wired and it can get interfierence.
If its doing that then faulty hardware or drivers is the first.
Next I'd try updating the bios.
I don't know, I have forgot but somewhere in manuals or if you use support or call your computer company there should be a command to do a reformat of the bios.
Its to make sure the bios has refreshed when updating sometimes it doesn't.
That can lead to issues.

On 15/01/2017 11:27 p.m., Brian's Mail list account wrote:
No but I do have some issues with some machines coming back from
hibernate not seeing the network be it hard wired or wifi, which is a
great shame as as you say, nvda seems pretty good.
I guess you could just try it. I don't see how this might be possible as
hibernate is like a snapshot I always thought having no idea its been
away, so to speak.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Stivers"
<@Thomas_Stivers>
Subject: [nvda] Returning from Sleep or Hybernation #addonrelease
#cal-invite #adminnotice

All,

I have my laptop set up to sleep when I close the lid while plugged in
and hibernate when I close the lid on battery. This is working well as
far as NVDA coming back when I return from sleep, but I would like a way
to get a spoken announcement when the computer is ready to use after
waking up.

Before I start trying to put something together with an add-on for NVDA
or an autoHotKey script I'd like to know if anyone else has solved this.

Thank you,

Thomas