Topics

accessible word processors with NVDA

Sharni-Lee Ward

Hi,

My computer's keyboard's been acting up, and I have my Mum's as a
backup, but it doesn't have Microsoft Office on it, and I was wondering
if there was a decent free word processor out there, accessible with
NVDA, that I could install on that computer instead. It would be nice if
it could read and edit .docx files, but I'm aware I can't have everything.

The most used features in Word for me are:

The Spellchecker, including a whole dictionary of words I've added so
Pokémon names, anime characters' names and names I just made up don't
get flagged;

The word-counter;

Page-breaks;

Headings (mostly for aesthetic reasons).

If there's something out there that does all these things, and is free
and accessible, I'll be pretty happy with it.

Firstly is your computer a laptop or desktop.
Have you tried replacing the keyboard.
For serious button mashing and tech work I use a blue cherry switch mechanical organic, the strix tactic pro from asus.
The macro software is utter junk so I don't get the macros or most of the media controls but the mute and volume controls work as well as the main board.
Its good for games like fps and rpgs, but also good for tech issues due to its long and strong durable cord.
From a visual perspective it apaarently lights up when powered and looks quite cool to.
If its the laptop, or any board itt could need cleaning, if its a laptop you can get them replaced, it cost me 120 bucks for a new laptop board.
Jarte is good as a processer.
One advantage I found with my laptop running with an external board with a cooling desk but sometimes even not the unit seems to run better during hot days without crashing.
Often I used to have major crashes and system issues using the unit even with a cooling desk fan active.
Every so often windows would mangle but a good reformat always fixed it.
After my board started busting due to my use and after a replacement I took it on myself as a present for birthday to get an external.
I did start with an logiteck kbd120d but upgraded to this.
ANd to be honest noticed the performance gains straight away.
You also don't have to push the keys down to hard to get a result.
So you can truely touch type and fast, I swear my typing speed has improved with this keyboard.

On 15/01/2017 6:18 p.m., Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
Hi,

My computer's keyboard's been acting up, and I have my Mum's as a
backup, but it doesn't have Microsoft Office on it, and I was wondering
if there was a decent free word processor out there, accessible with
NVDA, that I could install on that computer instead. It would be nice if
it could read and edit .docx files, but I'm aware I can't have everything.

The most used features in Word for me are:

The Spellchecker, including a whole dictionary of words I've added so
Pokémon names, anime characters' names and names I just made up don't
get flagged;

The word-counter;

Page-breaks;

Headings (mostly for aesthetic reasons).

If there's something out there that does all these things, and is free
and accessible, I'll be pretty happy with it.

Rosemarie Chavarria

Jarte is free and has a spell checker. That's what I use for word processing.

My computer's keyboard's been acting up, and I have my Mum's as a backup, but it doesn't have Microsoft Office on it, and I was wondering if there was a decent free word processor out there, accessible with NVDA, that I could install on that computer instead. It would be nice if it could read and edit .docx files, but I'm aware I can't have everything.

The most used features in Word for me are:

The Spellchecker, including a whole dictionary of words I've added so Pokémon names, anime characters' names and names I just made up don't get flagged;

The word-counter;

Page-breaks;

Headings (mostly for aesthetic reasons).

If there's something out there that does all these things, and is free and accessible, I'll be pretty happy with it.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

The thing about Jarte is that to open docx files it needs the purchased version as far as I know. OOpen and Libra Office seem to be able to load in docx files, but as has been discussed here of late, the authors need to do some more work to allow screenreaders to work on all parts of them like read all etc.

Of course it might be possible to find an old copy of an older version of Office pro corporate which I did and it still worked aand accepted the key. Legal? Well, its a grey area isn't it. if the original buyer is giving it away, then who cares.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

My computer's keyboard's been acting up, and I have my Mum's as a
backup, but it doesn't have Microsoft Office on it, and I was wondering
if there was a decent free word processor out there, accessible with
NVDA, that I could install on that computer instead. It would be nice if
it could read and edit .docx files, but I'm aware I can't have everything.

The most used features in Word for me are:

The Spellchecker, including a whole dictionary of words I've added so
Pokémon names, anime characters' names and names I just made up don't
get flagged;

The word-counter;

Page-breaks;

Headings (mostly for aesthetic reasons).

If there's something out there that does all these things, and is free
and accessible, I'll be pretty happy with it.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

It also has a very nice way of deprotecting protected text in documents but you do need to back convert docx to doc somehow.
[...]

Peter Beasley

I don't know how much Jarte plus costs these days, when I bought it over 10 years ago it cost me $15.

My computer's keyboard's been acting up, and I have my Mum's as a
backup, but it doesn't have Microsoft Office on it, and I was wondering
if there was a decent free word processor out there, accessible with
NVDA, that I could install on that computer instead. It would be nice if
it could read and edit .docx files, but I'm aware I can't have everything.

The most used features in Word for me are:

The Spellchecker, including a whole dictionary of words I've added so
Pokémon names, anime characters' names and names I just made up don't
get flagged;

The word-counter;

Page-breaks;

Headings (mostly for aesthetic reasons).

If there's something out there that does all these things, and is free
and accessible, I'll be pretty happy with it.

Gene

It doesn't need the purchased  version.  You can install the Microsoft pack that gives Microsoft Word and some other programs the ability to read docx files.  if you try to open a Docx file, a dialog comes up telling you that.  It may provide a link in the dialog to the JARTE web page where the subject is discussed further.
We don't know how Word is being useed so we don't know if JARTE has all the features desired but you can read about it and install and look at the program to see if it does.

Gene

> My computer's keyboard's been acting up, and I have my Mum's as a
> backup, but it doesn't have Microsoft Office on it, and I was wondering
> if there was a decent free word processor out there, accessible with
> NVDA, that I could install on that computer instead. It would be nice if
> it could read and edit .docx files, but I'm aware I can't have everything.
>

> The most used features in Word for me are:
>
> The Spellchecker, including a whole dictionary of words I've added so
> Pokémon names, anime characters' names and names I just made up don't
> get flagged;
>
> The word-counter;
>
> Page-breaks;
>
> Headings (mostly for aesthetic reasons).
>
> If there's something out there that does all these things, and is free
> and accessible, I'll be pretty happy with it.

Devin Prater

If you like Google stuff, Google Docs is also a good choice.  With NVDA and Firefox, Docs works well.

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On January 15, 2017 5:19:55 AM "Gene" <gsasner@...> wrote:

It doesn't need the purchased  version.  You can install the Microsoft pack that gives Microsoft Word and some other programs the ability to read docx files.  if you try to open a Docx file, a dialog comes up telling you that.  It may provide a link in the dialog to the JARTE web page where the subject is discussed further.
We don't know how Word is being useed so we don't know if JARTE has all the features desired but you can read about it and install and look at the program to see if it does.

Gene

> My computer's keyboard's been acting up, and I have my Mum's as a
> backup, but it doesn't have Microsoft Office on it, and I was wondering
> if there was a decent free word processor out there, accessible with
> NVDA, that I could install on that computer instead. It would be nice if
> it could read and edit .docx files, but I'm aware I can't have everything.
>

> The most used features in Word for me are:
>
> The Spellchecker, including a whole dictionary of words I've added so
> Pokémon names, anime characters' names and names I just made up don't
> get flagged;
>
> The word-counter;
>
> Page-breaks;
>
> Headings (mostly for aesthetic reasons).
>
> If there's something out there that does all these things, and is free
> and accessible, I'll be pretty happy with it.

Sharni-Lee Ward

Well, I got Jarte, and checked the page linked in the help dialogue, and the link on that page is either broken or the resource it was supposed to direct you to has been removed. Either way, I'm having to work with rtf files, which NVDA doesn't like very much, at least when it comes to accurately reporting things like bold, italics and so on in Say-All. Still, it's better than nothing at all and it's portable. I suppose I could adjust to not having spoken page numbers for the time being.

On 15/01/2017 10:20 PM, Gene wrote:
It doesn't need the purchased  version.  You can install the Microsoft pack that gives Microsoft Word and some other programs the ability to read docx files.  if you try to open a Docx file, a dialog comes up telling you that.  It may provide a link in the dialog to the JARTE web page where the subject is discussed further.
We don't know how Word is being useed so we don't know if JARTE has all the features desired but you can read about it and install and look at the program to see if it does.

Gene

> My computer's keyboard's been acting up, and I have my Mum's as a
> backup, but it doesn't have Microsoft Office on it, and I was wondering
> if there was a decent free word processor out there, accessible with
> NVDA, that I could install on that computer instead. It would be nice if
> it could read and edit .docx files, but I'm aware I can't have everything.
>

> The most used features in Word for me are:
>
> The Spellchecker, including a whole dictionary of words I've added so
> Pokémon names, anime characters' names and names I just made up don't
> get flagged;
>
> The word-counter;
>
> Page-breaks;
>
> Headings (mostly for aesthetic reasons).
>
> If there's something out there that does all these things, and is free
> and accessible, I'll be pretty happy with it.

Gene

There are programs such as Open Office which I've seen discussed often here.  But I haven't used them and I don't know what the limitations are in terms of accessibility.  I read the messages about such programs but I don't use them so I don't remember details.  The only thing I remember about Open office is that read to all doesn't work properly and, as I recall, the maximum that is read is a paragraph at which point, reading stops.

> My computer's keyboard's been acting up, and I have my Mum's as a
> backup, but it doesn't have Microsoft Office on it, and I was wondering
> if there was a decent free word processor out there, accessible with
> NVDA, that I could install on that computer instead. It would be nice if
> it could read and edit .docx files, but I'm aware I can't have everything.
>

> The most used features in Word for me are:
>
> The Spellchecker, including a whole dictionary of words I've added so
> Pokémon names, anime characters' names and names I just made up don't
> get flagged;
>
> The word-counter;
>
> Page-breaks;
>
> Headings (mostly for aesthetic reasons).
>
> If there's something out there that does all these things, and is free
> and accessible, I'll be pretty happy with it.

hi.
i recommend you libreoffice.
but it has also the limitations which gene mentioned like openoffice,
libreoffice is fork of openoffice and can export documents as docx.
also if i am correct, i remember that jarte needs microsoft office
installed, for openning docx files.

On 1/15/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
There are programs such as Open Office which I've seen discussed often here.
But I haven't used them and I don't know what the limitations are in terms
of accessibility. I read the messages about such programs but I don't use
them so I don't remember details. The only thing I remember about Open
office is that read to all doesn't work properly and, as I recall, the
maximum that is read is a paragraph at which point, reading stops.

> My computer's keyboard's been acting up, and I have my Mum's as a
> backup, but it doesn't have Microsoft Office on it, and I was wondering
> if there was a decent free word processor out there, accessible with
> NVDA, that I could install on that computer instead. It would be nice
if
> it could read and edit .docx files, but I'm aware I can't have
everything.

> The most used features in Word for me are:
>
> The Spellchecker, including a whole dictionary of words I've added so
> Pokémon names, anime characters' names and names I just made up don't
> get flagged;
>
> The word-counter;
>
> Page-breaks;
>
> Headings (mostly for aesthetic reasons).
>
> If there's something out there that does all these things, and is free
> and accessible, I'll be pretty happy with it.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Gene

Jarte doesn't need Office installed.  All you have to do is install the compatibility pack which makes Word and some other programs able to read Docx files.  You can install and use the compatibility pack whether Office is installed or not.

Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2017 6:55 AM

On 1/15/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> There are programs such as Open Office which I've seen discussed often here.
>  But I haven't used them and I don't know what the limitations are in terms
> of accessibility.  I read the messages about such programs but I don't use
> them so I don't remember details.  The only thing I remember about Open
> office is that read to all doesn't work properly and, as I recall, the
> maximum that is read is a paragraph at which point, reading stops.
>
> Gene

thanks gene.
how does it work without installing microsoft office?
is it free?
how many mb is?

On 1/15/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
Jarte doesn't need Office installed. All you have to do is install the
compatibility pack which makes Word and some other programs able to read
Docx files. You can install and use the compatibility pack whether Office
is installed or not.

> My computer's keyboard's been acting up, and I have my Mum's as a
> backup, but it doesn't have Microsoft Office on it, and I was
wondering
> if there was a decent free word processor out there, accessible with
> NVDA, that I could install on that computer instead. It would be nice
if
> it could read and edit .docx files, but I'm aware I can't have
everything.

> The most used features in Word for me are:
>
> The Spellchecker, including a whole dictionary of words I've added so
> Pokémon names, anime characters' names and names I just made up don't
> get flagged;
>
> The word-counter;
>
> Page-breaks;
>
> Headings (mostly for aesthetic reasons).
>
> If there's something out there that does all these things, and is
free
> and accessible, I'll be pretty happy with it.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Gene

It's a small utility.  It works with equal efficiency whether word is installed or not.

Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2017 7:43 AM

On 1/15/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> Jarte doesn't need Office installed.  All you have to do is install the
> compatibility pack which makes Word and some other programs able to read
> Docx files.  You can install and use the compatibility pack whether Office
> is installed or not.
>
> Gene

Gerardo Corripio

And for Spanish use? How's Libre Office with NVDA?

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone 5S

El 14/01/2017, a las 11:52 p.m., Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...> escribió:

[...]

I haven't worked enough with libre office to know about that.

My computer's keyboard's been acting up, and I have my Mum's as a backup, but it doesn't have Microsoft Office on it, and I was wondering if there was a decent free word processor out there, accessible with NVDA, that I could install on that computer instead. It would be nice if it could read and edit .docx files, but I'm aware I can't have everything.

The most used features in Word for me are:

The Spellchecker, including a whole dictionary of words I've added so
Pokémon names, anime characters' names and names I just made up don't
get flagged;

The word-counter;

Page-breaks;

Headings (mostly for aesthetic reasons).

If there's something out there that does all these things, and is free and accessible, I'll be pretty happy with it.

When I got it it was 35 dollars I assume its that way now.

-----Original Message----- From: Brian's Mail list account

My computer's keyboard's been acting up, and I have my Mum's as a
backup, but it doesn't have Microsoft Office on it, and I was wondering
if there was a decent free word processor out there, accessible with
NVDA, that I could install on that computer instead. It would be nice if
it could read and edit .docx files, but I'm aware I can't have
everything.

The most used features in Word for me are:

The Spellchecker, including a whole dictionary of words I've added so
Pokémon names, anime characters' names and names I just made up don't
get flagged;

The word-counter;

Page-breaks;

Headings (mostly for aesthetic reasons).

If there's something out there that does all these things, and is free
and accessible, I'll be pretty happy with it.

I would like to caution users that use an microsoft product, ie office 2013 and up certainly it does this on 2016.
Aparently the older software has some incompatibility when upgrading the os from one version to another.
It tends to default extentions back to open xml viewer which itself is not helpfull.
Worse excell refuses to be able to process file commands and can not start until you repair office.
For the systems that had filter pack aand the compatibility pack installed, I solved this by removing both these packs then repairing office as on restart no files opened at all.
Ever since then updates have worked as expected.
If you are on a shared system with office.
Every time you update the os especially when its a security update not a performance update, including newer and older office updates, you will need to repair office with the quick repair before using it again.
I am not sure why that is but thats a way to get round it.
If you often need a share then thats fine but if you don't it is easier to kill the extra converter packs.
I should also want to add that I have old word xp converters for some older files that came from an xp machine that perminantly exist on my dropbox cloud, they are so small just like xp sound recorder its unlikely I will ever kill them so they stay till I die I guess.
I have no inttention of killing them.
The only thing you do need is sevenzip to decompress them but if someone wants to make an installer email me and I'll send the link for copywrite reasons jarte can't store those on its site but.

On 16/01/2017 12:20 a.m., Gene wrote:
[...]

if you could please send the link to your dropbox, that would be very much appreciated. I also am considering using chart, but don't really want to pay the money for it partially because I don't have the money for it.

Noah Carver

On Jan 15, 2017, at 15:16, Shaun Everiss <@smeveriss> wrote:

[...]

You can download the installation file to allow you to work with docx files here:

Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2017 3:08 PM