Sent: Monday, January 16, 2017 12:33 AM
Subject: [nvda] Accessible Word Processor

Hi Group,

I started a new thread on this because I accidentally deleted the
original 'accessible word processor' thread.  In any case, I don't know
if this is still valid or not and it also depends on just what you want
to use your slimmed down and very accessible Word Processor software
for.  IN the old days, you used to get a small program with a spell
checker called HJ Pad when you installed a copy of JAWS (yes I know it's
one of our competitors.)  This little package was totally accessible,
had a spell checker and would save in text or RTF as I recall.  It used
to be available--even if you only had a demo of JAWS. I don't know
whether this is true any more, but 5 years ago, it was so.  I wonder if
anyone has tried installing the newest demos and seeing if they still
include HJ Pad and seeing if it still works after 40 minutes.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Ron Canazzi

Hi Gene,

I have a JAWS 16 home edition version.  It is not in that list of tools.  I don't know if the full version demo would have it.

On 1/16/2017 2:17 AM, Gene wrote:
It likely still is available.  You can run it whether you are running JAWS or not.  It is in the JAWS menu which you open in the all programs menu.  There is an item that says run HJ Pad.  I don't know how the abilities of H J Pad compare with JARTE.  But H J Pad is based on the old menu version of Wordpad.  At least it was.  It has a spell checker, which Word Pad doesn't.

Sent: Monday, January 16, 2017 12:33 AM

[...]

I have not seen any H J Pad, but OpenOffice is the most accessible word processor besides Microsoft word. There is Jarte, of course, but I do not count that because you have to pay to get all of the features.

Gene

It was never in tools.  In the JAWS menu, if you down arrow through all the items, Run HJPad is in the main JAWS menu.
I'm not sure what the all programs menu is called in later versions of Windows but if its still included, it's in the JAWS menu found there.  While I would expect HJPad to be there, I don't know since I haventt updated JAWS for many years.

Sent: Monday, January 16, 2017 12:33 AM

[...]

David Griffith

HJPad does appear to have been removed as an explicitly supported Utility in Jaws but I actually found it buried away in a strange location even with Jaws 18.

Quite why it would be hidden in this location I do not know.

It does have a spell checker but little else really. As far as I can tell you can edit the font but cannot set any font attributes like bold, italic, or underline.

I always saw it as really a possible notepad replacement rather than a word processor.

Despite being buried away it does still work.

Anyway I found it on my system under the follwoing very odd path

C:\Windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\38E784264F70E08468F74BA4CC2F4C2E\18.0.1835\HJPAD.EXE

David Griffith

David Griffith

On 16/01/2017 10:10, Robert Kingett wrote:
I have not seen any H J Pad, but OpenOffice is the most accessible word processor besides Microsoft word. There is Jarte, of course, but I do not count that because you have to pay to get all of the features.

Gene

You can set fonts.  It is more or less the case that if the old Wordpad can do something, HJPad can do it.  If you type a sentence and use control I to toggle between italics on and off, the text will be italicized where indicated.  I see no reason to believe other such commands are absent.  I haven't seen this stated anywhere, but just comparing the old Wordpad to HJPad, even the name, indicates that it was built on the old WordPad.  It was intended for use with JAWS basic training material.  It may be that the basic training material has changed to the point where HJPad isn't as useful with it as before.

Those who are curious will find, in the HJPad menus under tools, a submenu named sample dialogs.  It is interesting to play around with the sample dialogs.  Some of them would still make good teaching tools and references.

Sent: Monday, January 16, 2017 7:37 AM

HJPad does appear to have been removed as an explicitly supported
Utility in Jaws but I actually found it buried away in a strange
location even with Jaws 18.

Quite why it would be hidden in this location I do not know.

It does have a spell checker but little else really. As far as I can
tell you can edit the font but cannot set any font attributes like bold,
italic, or underline.

I always saw it as really a possible notepad replacement rather than a
word processor.

Despite being buried away it does still work.

Anyway I found it on my system under the follwoing very odd path

C:\Windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\38E784264F70E08468F74BA4CC2F4C2E\18.0.1835\HJPAD.EXE

David Griffith

David Griffith
On 16/01/2017 10:10, Robert Kingett wrote:
> I have not seen any H J Pad, but OpenOffice is the most accessible
> word processor besides Microsoft word. There is Jarte, of course, but
> I do not count that because you have to pay to get all of the features.

Gene

Also, these sorts of attributes can be found by opening the menus, opening tools, then opening fonts from the tools submenu.
Select a fond in the list.
Then tab once.  You will be in a list of attributes for the font, italics being one.  I didn't tab further to see what else is in the dialog.

Sent: Monday, January 16, 2017 7:37 AM

HJPad does appear to have been removed as an explicitly supported
Utility in Jaws but I actually found it buried away in a strange
location even with Jaws 18.

Quite why it would be hidden in this location I do not know.

It does have a spell checker but little else really. As far as I can
tell you can edit the font but cannot set any font attributes like bold,
italic, or underline.

I always saw it as really a possible notepad replacement rather than a
word processor.

Despite being buried away it does still work.

Anyway I found it on my system under the follwoing very odd path

C:\Windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\38E784264F70E08468F74BA4CC2F4C2E\18.0.1835\HJPAD.EXE

David Griffith

David Griffith
On 16/01/2017 10:10, Robert Kingett wrote:
> I have not seen any H J Pad, but OpenOffice is the most accessible
> word processor besides Microsoft word. There is Jarte, of course, but
> I do not count that because you have to pay to get all of the features.

David Griffith

OK thanks for that.

I did a little experimenting to see why I thought you could not set Font attributes as in HJPad.What I found was

1. Using NVDA 2016.4 I typed some sample text in HJPad. I then selected it all and pressed control i for italic.
2. NVDA did not make any announcement about the text being italicised as in Word for example.
3. However I then pressed NVDA and F to get Font attributes and this time NVDA did announce that the text was italicised alongside all the other Font attributes.
4. It seems then that to make HJPad properly usable you have to turn on Font attribute
and style feedback in NVDA document Formatting options with NVDA Control plus D. With this amended with Font and Style checked you can get good proofing type feedback as you review text in HJPad.

One thing HJPad certainly does have unlike other free Word Processing options is good support for read all, and reading by paragraph is also easy with control down and up arrow.

In that sense HJPad does seem to be a viable option for Word Processing with this change in NVDA Font feedback, certainly in basic document creation.

There are limitations however in the lack of support for tables- and in the limitation in the range of formats supported. I could save only in text or rtf.

At a pince though I could envisage a situation where if at a push you created the vast bulk of a document in HJPad and then used it in conjucntion with something like Libre Office for document conversion and support for tables- though as I understand it NVDA does not currently support tables that well in Libre or Open Office.

So Libre Office could be a pipeline to HJPad converting docx files to rtf for use in HJPad and vice versa for converting the HJPad rtf document to docx.
Other workarounds will be probably necesary to deal with tables.
What I used to do on the Mac to get around this problem with table support was to save as html and read in a browser. I do not know if Libre Office supports saving as html but this is a possible work around.

Anyway HJPad is a free Word Processor which you can use alongside the FS Daisy Book Reader if you install Jaws and leave it in demo mode.

David Griffith

On 16/01/2017 14:04, Gene wrote:
[...]

Ejaz Shah

I have the demo of JAWS 18 and Run HJ Pad is in Utilities - JAWS 18.

Sent: Monday, January 16, 2017 12:33 AM

[...]

hi david and all.
yes.
fortunately both openoffice and libreoffice can save documents as html.
also, abiword, which is not accessible by nvda, supports exporting
documents as html!

On 1/16/2017 2:17 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

I tested AbiWord this morning and indeed, it isn't usable as it stands.  I filed a bug on BugZilla as suggested on the AbiWord homepage (here if anyone is interested: http://bugzilla.abisource.com/show_bug.cgi?id=13840) and I will advise if I hear anything from the AbiWord developers.

Another word processor I tried recently which again uses a custom edit and isn't readable with NVDA is Atlantis: http://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com/en/  I came across Atlantis as a word processor which can also export to ePub.  I sent them an e-mail noting the issues I encountered.

If you do try programs and find them to be inaccessible, then do please feel free to contact the developers to raise the issue with them.  As much as we may find it appalling, many developers simply aren't aware and haven't considered screen reader users when developing their programs.  Please do be polite when advising developers of bugs.  If you vent all your frustrations and are aggressive and rude when you contact them, then the developer will be likely to ignore your request.  The best thing to do is politely advise what you are trying to do, what you expect to happen, and what is actually happening.  Also, the more people who report issues to developers, the more notice they are likely to take.  If you are given a bug or issue number or a link to return to the bug, posting it here may enable others to "upvote" it, or confirm that they are also experiencing the same problems so that the developers know it affects more than one user.

In any case, I'll let you know if I hear from Atlantis or AbiWord.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On 1/18/17, Ejaz Shah <eashah67@...> wrote:
> I have the demo of JAWS 18 and Run HJ Pad is in Utilities - JAWS 18.
>

> On 1/16/2017 12:44 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
>>
>> Hi Gene,
>>

>> I have a JAWS 16 home edition version.  It is not in that list of
>> tools.  I don't know if the full version demo would have it.
>>

>> On 1/16/2017 2:17 AM, Gene wrote:
>>> It likely still is available.  You can run it whether you are running
>>> JAWS or not.  It is in the JAWS menu which you open in the all
>>> programs menu.  There is an item that says run HJ Pad.  I don't know
>>> how the abilities of H J Pad compare with JARTE.  But H J Pad is
>>> based on the old menu version of Wordpad.  At least it was.  It has a
>>> spell checker, which Word Pad doesn't.
>>> Gene

Training Material Developer

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Quentin,

I take it that Abiword is a mozilla product? I haven't heard of it.

Rosemarie

I tested AbiWord this morning and indeed, it isn't usable as it stands.  I filed a bug on BugZilla as suggested on the AbiWord homepage (here if anyone is interested: http://bugzilla.abisource.com/show_bug.cgi?id=13840) and I will advise if I hear anything from the AbiWord developers.

Another word processor I tried recently which again uses a custom edit and isn't readable with NVDA is Atlantis: http://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com/en/  I came across Atlantis as a word processor which can also export to ePub.  I sent them an e-mail noting the issues I encountered.

If you do try programs and find them to be inaccessible, then do please feel free to contact the developers to raise the issue with them.  As much as we may find it appalling, many developers simply aren't aware and haven't considered screen reader users when developing their programs.  Please do be polite when advising developers of bugs.  If you vent all your frustrations and are aggressive and rude when you contact them, then the developer will be likely to ignore your request.  The best thing to do is politely advise what you are trying to do, what you expect to happen, and what is actually happening.  Also, the more people who report issues to developers, the more notice they are likely to take.  If you are given a bug or issue number or a link to return to the bug, posting it here may enable others to "upvote" it, or confirm that they are also experiencing the same problems so that the developers know it affects more than one user.

In any case, I'll let you know if I hear from Atlantis or AbiWord.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 11:36 PM, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:

hi david and all.
yes.
fortunately both openoffice and libreoffice can save documents as html.
also, abiword, which is not accessible by nvda, supports exporting
documents as html!

On 1/18/17, Ejaz Shah <eashah67@...> wrote:
> I have the demo of JAWS 18 and Run HJ Pad is in Utilities - JAWS 18.
>

> On 1/16/2017 12:44 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
>>
>> Hi Gene,
>>

>> I have a JAWS 16 home edition version.  It is not in that list of
>> tools.  I don't know if the full version demo would have it.
>>

>> On 1/16/2017 2:17 AM, Gene wrote:
>>> It likely still is available.  You can run it whether you are running
>>> JAWS or not.  It is in the JAWS menu which you open in the all
>>> programs menu.  There is an item that says run HJ Pad.  I don't know
>>> how the abilities of H J Pad compare with JARTE.  But H J Pad is
>>> based on the old menu version of Wordpad.  At least it was.  It has a
>>> spell checker, which Word Pad doesn't.
>>> Gene

AbiWord is made by a group of developers.  From their website: "Like most Open Source projects, AbiWord started as a cathedral, but has become more like a bazaar. AbiWord is part of a larger project known as AbiSource, which was started by the SourceGear Corporation. The goal of the project was the development of a cross-platform, Open Source office suite beginning with AbiWord, the project's word processor.

SourceGear released the source code to AbiWord and a developer community quickly formed around the project. SourceGear has since then stopped working on the project.

The developer community has since then continued to make improvements and increase the quality of AbiWord. Version 1.0 was released in April 2002, followed by Version 2.0 in September 2003, 2.2 in December 2004 and 2.4 in September 2005."

http://www.abisource.com/information/about/

The latest windows compiled download is 2.8.6, which appears to be dated 2010.  The source download though goes up to 3.0.2 which appears to be dated October 2016: http://www.abisource.com/downloads/abiword/

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 2:16 PM, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...> wrote:

Hi, Quentin,

I take it that Abiword is a mozilla product? I haven't heard of it.

Rosemarie

I tested AbiWord this morning and indeed, it isn't usable as it stands.  I filed a bug on BugZilla as suggested on the AbiWord homepage (here if anyone is interested: http://bugzilla.abisource.com/show_bug.cgi?id=13840) and I will advise if I hear anything from the AbiWord developers.

Another word processor I tried recently which again uses a custom edit and isn't readable with NVDA is Atlantis: http://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com/en/  I came across Atlantis as a word processor which can also export to ePub.  I sent them an e-mail noting the issues I encountered.

If you do try programs and find them to be inaccessible, then do please feel free to contact the developers to raise the issue with them.  As much as we may find it appalling, many developers simply aren't aware and haven't considered screen reader users when developing their programs.  Please do be polite when advising developers of bugs.  If you vent all your frustrations and are aggressive and rude when you contact them, then the developer will be likely to ignore your request.  The best thing to do is politely advise what you are trying to do, what you expect to happen, and what is actually happening.  Also, the more people who report issues to developers, the more notice they are likely to take.  If you are given a bug or issue number or a link to return to the bug, posting it here may enable others to "upvote" it, or confirm that they are also experiencing the same problems so that the developers know it affects more than one user.

In any case, I'll let you know if I hear from Atlantis or AbiWord.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 11:36 PM, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:

hi david and all.
yes.
fortunately both openoffice and libreoffice can save documents as html.
also, abiword, which is not accessible by nvda, supports exporting
documents as html!

On 1/18/17, Ejaz Shah <eashah67@...> wrote:
> I have the demo of JAWS 18 and Run HJ Pad is in Utilities - JAWS 18.
>

> On 1/16/2017 12:44 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
>>
>> Hi Gene,
>>

>> I have a JAWS 16 home edition version.  It is not in that list of
>> tools.  I don't know if the full version demo would have it.
>>

>> On 1/16/2017 2:17 AM, Gene wrote:
>>> It likely still is available.  You can run it whether you are running
>>> JAWS or not.  It is in the JAWS menu which you open in the all
>>> programs menu.  There is an item that says run HJ Pad.  I don't know
>>> how the abilities of H J Pad compare with JARTE.  But H J Pad is
>>> based on the old menu version of Wordpad.  At least it was.  It has a
>>> spell checker, which Word Pad doesn't.
>>> Gene

The Gamages

Hello,

I too tried Abiword and found a problem when trying to uninstall it, doing it in the normal way in control panel left the program in the programs folder and in start up, I had to get rid of it by deleting files one at a time, it also put lots of files on my C drive which I had to get rid of. I think there was an option in the program, if the context menu was used, to uninstall, maybe this is a better way of uninstalling, as I don’t have the program now, I can’t check this.
I’m using W10.

Best Regards, Jim.

Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 11:55 PM

Hi everyone,

I tested AbiWord this morning and indeed, it isn't usable as it stands.  I filed a bug on BugZilla as suggested on the AbiWord homepage (here if anyone is interested: http://bugzilla.abisource.com/show_bug.cgi?id=13840) and I will advise if I hear anything from the AbiWord developers.

Another word processor I tried recently which again uses a custom edit and isn't readable with NVDA is Atlantis: http://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com/en/  I came across Atlantis as a word processor which can also export to ePub.  I sent them an e-mail noting the issues I encountered.

If you do try programs and find them to be inaccessible, then do please feel free to contact the developers to raise the issue with them.  As much as we may find it appalling, many developers simply aren't aware and haven't considered screen reader users when developing their programs.  Please do be polite when advising developers of bugs.  If you vent all your frustrations and are aggressive and rude when you contact them, then the developer will be likely to ignore your request.  The best thing to do is politely advise what you are trying to do, what you expect to happen, and what is actually happening.  Also, the more people who report issues to developers, the more notice they are likely to take.  If you are given a bug or issue number or a link to return to the bug, posting it here may enable others to "upvote" it, or confirm that they are also experiencing the same problems so that the developers know it affects more than one user.

In any case, I'll let you know if I hear from Atlantis or AbiWord.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 11:36 PM, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:
hi david and all.
yes.
fortunately both openoffice and libreoffice can save documents as html.
also, abiword, which is not accessible by nvda, supports exporting
documents as html!

On 1/18/17, Ejaz Shah <eashah67@...> wrote:
> I have the demo of JAWS 18 and Run HJ Pad is in Utilities - JAWS 18.
>

> On 1/16/2017 12:44 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
>>
>> Hi Gene,
>>

>> I have a JAWS 16 home edition version.  It is not in that list of
>> tools.  I don't know if the full version demo would have it.
>>

>> On 1/16/2017 2:17 AM, Gene wrote:
>>> It likely still is available.  You can run it whether you are running
>>> JAWS or not.  It is in the JAWS menu which you open in the all
>>> programs menu.  There is an item that says run HJ Pad.  I don't know
>>> how the abilities of H J Pad compare with JARTE.  But H J Pad is
>>> based on the old menu version of Wordpad.  At least it was.  It has a
>>> spell checker, which Word Pad doesn't.
>>> Gene

Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

hi quentin.
i realy appreciate for helping me to find the best processor!
i realy admire your endeavors to try different programs and give
feedback to there engineers.
i realy wished that know about accessibility of atlantis and i realy
appreciate your information.
i also tried the developer version of abiword.
if i am correct, this version is released on 2012.
its advantage is nvda announces the percentage when openning file and
i can understand whether my document is completely open or not.
after openning my file, i tried to save it as html or txt for using it
by another program!

http://www.abisource.com/downloads/abiword/2.9.4/Windows/abiword-setup-2.9.4.exe

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 11:36 PM, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com>

wrote:

hi david and all.
yes.
fortunately both openoffice and libreoffice can save documents as html.
also, abiword, which is not accessible by nvda, supports exporting
documents as html!

On 1/18/17, Ejaz Shah <eashah67@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have the demo of JAWS 18 and Run HJ Pad is in Utilities - JAWS 18.
>

> On 1/16/2017 12:44 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
>>
>> Hi Gene,
>>

>> I have a JAWS 16 home edition version. It is not in that list of
>> tools. I don't know if the full version demo would have it.
>>

>> On 1/16/2017 2:17 AM, Gene wrote:
>>> It likely still is available. You can run it whether you are running
>>> JAWS or not. It is in the JAWS menu which you open in the all
>>> programs menu. There is an item that says run HJ Pad. I don't know
>>> how the abilities of H J Pad compare with JARTE. But H J Pad is
>>> based on the old menu version of Wordpad. At least it was. It has a
>>> spell checker, which Word Pad doesn't.
>>> Gene

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306