Topics

Problem

Sakina

Hello friends,

A friend has given me his old laptop which he does not use any more. I am happy using it as it has got word 2007 instead of 2003 which I had. I use the ordinary head phones inorder not to disturb any one around me.

Works well but all of a sudden the sound stops coming out of the headphone and the sound comes from the laptop itself.

I do not know why that is happening as the headphones are still attached .

I shut the laptop down and restart all over again. Then again it would do the same thing as above after half an hour or so.   I prefer to listen through ear phones only all the time and wish to cure this problem.

Please I will gratefully receive any advise. Please also I am not very technically minded and the guidance in simple way will be very helpful.

Thank you all and with best wishes

Sakina

Avast logo

You may have to solve the problem by using a cheap USB sound card or by using USB headphones.

[...]

Related to Gene's suggestion, if you happen to already own Bluetooth headphones or speakers you could also buy a USB bluetooth adapter and use those, or buy both if you prefer a non-corded option.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

On the other hand of course, normally hard wired normal 23.5mm headphones physically cut out the speakers when plugged in. The problem could be that they are in fact usb headphones and for some reason the system is getting confused about the sound output device. I've no idea which version of Windows this might be, but I've had this thing happen on windows 7 between the internal sound and a sound box in a usb connector. What happens I soon discovered was that the usb box has to always go into the socket it went into when it installed its drivers or it sometimes loses the memory of what is going on and puts it out through the internal device.

Probably really naff drivers.
However if it is the actual hardware analogue lets call them headphones it might be that the socket they plug into is damaged or intermittent or just plain dirty. In a case like that the cost of getting it taken apart and fixed will be way over what the machine is probably worth I'd say. So I'd definitely get some usb headphones for that problem.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

The kind of headphones wasn't specified.  I suspect they are standard 1/8 inch jack headphones.  The computer may be playing through headphones at first, then for some reason reverting to speaker, even though the headphones are plugged in.

The kind of headphones being used should be specified.

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 10:48 am, Gene wrote:
The kind of headphones wasn't specified.

True, but when the descriptor "ordinary headphones" and phrase "still attached" are used together that leads to the logical conclusion that 1/8" jack headphones are being talked about.

I figure the most likely option and then, if the user has omitted something, they'll bring it up when the responses start pouring in.  I'll be curious to see what the ultimate resolution turns out to be.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell

Gene

When I saw the original message, I thought they were probably ordinary headphones.  I didn't remember the original wording but perhaps that was why.

I don't know about what variety there is in USB headphones.  But one thing I like about the USB sound card idea is that, if the person wants to continue using the headphones currently being used, they can be used with the external sound card.  If they are good headphones, buying an inexpensive soundcard and continuing to use the good headphones might be cheaper than buying another good pair of USB headphones.

Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2017 1:40 PM

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 10:48 am, Gene wrote:
The kind of headphones wasn't specified.

True, but when the descriptor "ordinary headphones" and phrase "still attached" are used together that leads to the logical conclusion that 1/8" jack headphones are being talked about.

I figure the most likely option and then, if the user has omitted something, they'll bring it up when the responses start pouring in.  I'll be curious to see what the ultimate resolution turns out to be.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell

Sakina

Hello Gean and friends,

Thank you all for the quick response.

I am using ordinary headphones.

I am sorry for for not having any knowledge of usb headphones nor the usb sound card, nor have no idea of the cost of either.

If I do get for argument sake the sound card, will I need someone to help me there.

As usb headphones sounds like I can plug them in the usb pot.

Please I will very much appreciate your guidance.

Thanking you always

Sakina

[...]

Sakina,

  • USB sound cards are small dongles that plug in to a USB port and typically have a headphone port and a microphone port for 1/8" jack connections.  On Windows 8 and later most are "plug and play" devices while on Windows 7 and earlier you'll likely have to install a device driver.  For examples, and to see how inexpensive they are, have a look at this webpage (and I cannot attest to its accessibility):  http://www.dxsoul.com/search/USB%20sound%20card
  • USB headphones are, as you suspected, just like regular headphones but instead of having an 1/8" jack it has a USB connector.  These are plugged in to a USB port and behave like typical headphones.  These are inexpensive as well.  That being said, they're getting somewhat harder to find as wireless bluetooth headsets have become much more popular and are quite inexpensive if you're not looking for audiophile quality sound.  If your computer doesn't have Bluetooth built in then you'd need to buy a USB Bluetooth Adapter (see:  http://www.dxsoul.com/search/USB%20bluetooth%20dongle) and these are very inexpensive.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell

Gene

You can buy a USB soundcard and plug it into a USB port as any USB device.  There will be one or more jacks and one of them will be an output for sound.  If all you want to do is listen and not use most or all other features of the card, you don't even have to install the software that should come with the sound card on a cd.  I don't know where you live or what prices for things are there.  In United States dollars, you can find sound cards for less than ten dollars, according to what I've seen in discussions of the subject.  I don't know how good the sound is but in American dollars, the cheap ones don't cost much.  But don't forget that the volume will be loud when you plug the headphones in for the first time.  So don't wear the headphones.  The volume is probably loud enough that you can hear them without having them on and it might be very loud to have them on, perhaps painfully loud.  Do you know how to lower the volume on devices?

[...]

I haven't had to install anything in XP or Windows 7.  I couldn't use most of the features of the card but it would play.

Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2017 9:50 AM

[...]

Hello Brian,

Thank you very much for your explanation and how to go about. I will try and see what is best for me to solve the problem as it does not sound that difficult to solve.

Thanking you so much again and with always best wishes

[...]

Hello Gene,

Thank you so much for your help in explaining regarding my problem.

I did not have a clue about the usb sound card nor head phones.

I will look into it as I know what to ask. I think the dongle may be the best option first. Thank you again.

Plus Gene, I think to adjust the volume on the laptop, I think   I have to press nvda key control key and then letter V first

And then use the curser keys to listen to the options and adjust the sound accordingly.

Please correct me if I am wrong and will love the correct method to do the necessary.

With best wishes and regards always for your kindness.

Sakina

[...]

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Sakina

The shortcut key you just gave puts you into the voice settings for nvda. There is a volume slider there but it is only for NVDA. mine is set to 100 percent and is a slider so can be adjusted with the left and right arrow keys on a desktop so would guess be the same for a laptop maybe?

To adjust your sound on the computer press the windows key + letter B

This will take you to the notification area it may be called different on your computer.

When you get there you can use the left or right arrow keys to try and find your speaker icon. If it is hidden there is one called like show hidden icons then press the enter key on it. It will give you more options. use the left and right arrow keys to try and find the icon. mine here says speakers are at 65 percent. When you find it press the enter key on it and it should give you a whole lot of options.

You only need the first option which is the volume control. You can use the up or down arrow keys to make it softer or louder.

After that use the alt + f4 key to close it.

hope it helps.

Gene nz

Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2017 1:40 PM

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 10:48 am, Gene wrote:

The kind of headphones wasn't specified.

True, but when the descriptor "ordinary headphones" and phrase "still attached" are used together that leads to the logical conclusion that 1/8" jack headphones are being talked about.

I figure the most likely option and then, if the user has omitted something, they'll bring it up when the responses start pouring in.  I'll be curious to see what the ultimate resolution turns out to be.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell

Avast
                                logo

Avast logo

Sakina

Thank you my friend Gene for making life so easy.

Thank you always again.

Many regards

[...]

I'm not sure if you can adjust the NVDA volume in that way.  But to adjust playback volume in general, hold the windows key and type r.
Then when the dialog opens, type sndvol and press enter.
A dialog will open.  When you have the USB card connected, the settings you see will be for that card, as I recall.  Tab around and ask about questions you have.  After you adjust the volume, there is no ok button.  The volume changes as you use left and right arrow on the slider you are working with.
When you are finished, close the dialog with alt f4.

[...]

I gave a method for just adjusting playback settings that is easier.  If someone wants to adjust things like recording settings, your method would provide access to that as well as to adjusting play settings.  But since, in this case, play are the only settings that the person wants to adjust, it is simpler and easier to use the method I gave.

[...]

If its an ordinary headphone issue, then its more likely to be muck or damage in the socket which normally mechanically switch out the speakers on all the laptops I have seen, in which case USB headphones might be the answer, or a usb device that can drive ordinary headphones.
They normally sound better than the tiny speakers in most laptops it has to be said.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 10:48 am, Gene wrote:

The kind of headphones wasn't specified.

True, but when the descriptor "ordinary headphones" and phrase "still
attached" are used together that leads to the logical conclusion that 1/8"
jack headphones are being talked about.

I figure the most likely option and then, if the user has omitted something,
they'll bring it up when the responses start pouring in. I'll be curious to
see what the ultimate resolution turns out to be.

If you think that you can think about a thing, inextricably attached to
something else, without thinking of the thing it is attached to, then you
have a legal mind.

~ Thomas Reed Powell

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I bought a Creative sound card fro under 10 pounds, it as two leads, one for normal phones or an amplifier and another for a microphone. It was to replace an internal card that was crackly, and it works fine even plug and play on xpp.