Reading Endnotes

kelby carlson

When reading a document in Word is there a way to make NVDA read
footnotes/endnotes while reading along rather than having to go into
the footnote or endnote pain?

Quentin Christensen

Hi Kelby,

Interesting question.  I've never tried this so just went and had a quick look.  It seems that you can do it manually, with a VB script or an add-in tool.  I found a couple of different sites, but this one lists the three main methods all on one page: https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/word/1192-word-convert-endnotes-to-plain-text.html

The only thing I think is that this leaves the notes at the end of the document as regular text (so you could easily copy to plain text or another format which may not support Word's footnotes).  I suspect what you were after was something that put the footnotes in the middle of the text where the reference was?

One thing you could do, is to create a macro to do it.  On the view menu (alt+w) is a macro option (m).  From here you can record a macro, which once started, will "record" every keystroke you press until you turn recording off.  While recording, you can move to the next footnote (alt+s, o, n) then jump to the notes area (alt+s, h) select and copy the note, move back to the main text, and paste the text from the footnote, perhaps in brackets.

Although I don't have an immediate need for it personally, I'll be interested to see if anyone else comes up with a good solution to this.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

kelby carlson

Quentin,

I think you misunderstood what I was asking. I don't actually need to
convert the endnotes into regular text, I'm just wondering if NVDA
can/will read them when just doing a say-all in the document. I seem
to remember it doing so but now it isn't; I could be confusing it with
JAWS. (Since switching to my new laptop the combination of JAWS and
Word has become completely unworkable, for reasons that remain
mysterious to me and that Freedom Scientific has been totally inept at
fixing as per usual.)

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 6:51 AM, kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@gmail.com>
wrote:

When reading a document in Word is there a way to make NVDA read
footnotes/endnotes while reading along rather than having to go into
the footnote or endnote pain?

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

Sorry, I jumped ahead of myself - I was initially thinking, NVDA identifies that there is a footnote / endnote, but doesn't read the text of the notes themselves, you would need to go to the notes section to read the note text.  What I was then thinking was if there was an easy way to convert the notes into inline text, you could do that - and then either close without saving or undo etc if you didn't want to keep the notes inline.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

kelby carlson

Ah, I see. Maybe it's just JAWS that does that, then; or perhaps it's
footnotes I'm thinking of. In either case, I know if you just save a
Word Document with footnotes or endnotes in plain text it converts the
way you describe.

wrote:

When reading a document in Word is there a way to make NVDA read
footnotes/endnotes while reading along rather than having to go into
the footnote or endnote pain?

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
available:
http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Pranav Lal

Quentin,

NVDA should be reading  foot notes and end notes  the same way as it reads comments.

kelby carlson

Well, I'm not sure how to read comments in NVDA easily either so...

On 2/5/17, Pranav Lal <pranav.lal@gmail.com> wrote:
Quentin,

NVDA should be reading foot notes and end notes the same way as it reads
comments.

Quentin Christensen

My understanding of Kelby's request was wanting to have the text of the footnote read out while reading a document using Say All - I could be way off of course!

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 11:07 AM, Pranav Lal <pranav.lal@...> wrote:

Quentin,

NVDA should be reading  foot notes and end notes  the same way as it reads comments.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

kelby carlson

Quentin,

Yep-that's exactly what I was wondering about. I think JAWS does this but not NVDA.

-

Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

_dis_ea_dd_ea_

Groups.io Links:
View/Reply Online (#14708) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

NVDA on groups.io

Get NVDA from: http://www.nvaccess.org/
http://www.nvaccess.org/donate
Other links:
Get NVDA add-ons at:
http://addons.nvda-project.org/
NVDA on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8601265515
Get SkypeTalking for NVDA:
http://skypetalking.googlecode.com/
Change Your Subscription
Group Home
Contact Group Owner
Terms Of Service
Unsubscribe From This Group

_dis_ea_dd_ea_

Quentin Christensen

I'm sure it could be possible to write an add-on to do this - I'm not aware of one currently.  The other option would be a macro to move the footnote text back into the main document, which would be an option if you want to read through a document, but probably not so much if you want to read in the middle of editing.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Albert Ruel

Apparently even JAWS is not able to do this in Word 2016.

wrote:

When reading a document in Word is there a way to make NVDA read
footnotes/endnotes while reading along rather than having to go
into the footnote or endnote pain?

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
available:
http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

James AUSTIN

I do not use MS Office, but are the endnotes at the end of the document, or at the end of each chapter?

If the former, might it be possible to find the first reference in the text, move to the first note and highlight them all Once highlighted you could try copying them to a new document. This should let you read them. A little cumbersome, if it works, but this is what I did on the Mac using Nisus Writer Pro.