NVDA question regarding Mac Keyboard

Hector Elias <hmelias09@...>

Hello:

I am new to NVDA, and I am using Windows 10 on a MAC using Boot Camp.
I am using the bluetooth keyboard, which doesn't have a numbpad. When
I am using the keyboard command NVDA+Shift+End to read the status
line; it doesn't work. Does anyone know if there is a specific issue
with a MAC keyboard? I tried it on my XPS13 and it worked; however,
that keyboard actually has a "END" key. Or is it something to do with
a setting I am not aware of?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Hector

Sukil Etxenike <sukiletxe@...>

Hi,

Try using input help (NVDA + F1) and tell us what NVDA says when pressing the keystroke. Also, try using the laptop keyboard.

Regards,

Sukil

El 06/02/2017 a las 7:57, Hector Elias escribió:
Hello:

I am new to NVDA, and I am using Windows 10 on a MAC using Boot Camp.
I am using the bluetooth keyboard, which doesn't have a numbpad. When
I am using the keyboard command NVDA+Shift+End to read the status
line; it doesn't work. Does anyone know if there is a specific issue
with a MAC keyboard? I tried it on my XPS13 and it worked; however,
that keyboard actually has a "END" key. Or is it something to do with
a setting I am not aware of?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Hector

Quentin Christensen

Hi Hector,

You mention this keyboard doesn't have an END key - do you need to press another key as well - I know on a lot of smaller than full size keyboards, they include a "Fn" key - on Windows keyboards it's usually near the bottom left, and to get to some functions / keys you need to press that with another key.  So if END is actually on the down arrow, you might need to press NVDA+SHIFT+FN+DOWN ARROW?

As Sukil said, try it in Input Help mode (press NVDA+F1) and see what that reads out.  That should confirm you have the correct keystroke, and also some keyboards may not let you press more than two or three keys at once.

Finally, with the status bar, check that the program you are using actually has a status bar, as not all do.  If the program you are in doesn't have a status bar, NVDA should still report "No status line found."

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I think many macs do not have what we call windows keys, so how this is supposed to all be possible without some form of windos keyboard is anyyones guess. also ratherer worryingly, many new laptop Macs have no function keys, just a touch section which can have custom keys mapped to various parts of it in Mac O/S.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

sukiletxe=yahoo.es@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

James AUSTIN

Hi all,

On a Mac the Windows key is mapped to the Apple key which is in the place of the ALT key on a PC keyboard. As for the touch strip along the top of Mac laptop keyboards is usable with Voice Over, but at present the touch strip has not found its way to the desktop keyboard.

For other Windows key bindings, there is I think an app called Sharp Keys.

Take care

James

----- Original Message ----- From: "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@nvaccess.org>
[...]

Hi again folks

I forgot to add that on Mac laptop and Apple wireless keyboards, the FN key is on the bottom left row at the far left. On wired Apple keyboards, if I remember correctly the FN key is in place of the Insert key, at the far left of the block of six above the arrow keys.

Take care

James

On 06/02/2017 10:36, James AUSTIN wrote:
[...]

Hello Everyone:

Thank you for your responses. I am sorry that I was not more specific on my earlier post. I am running boot camp on a 2012 iMac, so I do not have the touch bar. When I press NVDA + 1 to enter "Input  Help" I get the following message, "NVDA + Shift + right arrow moves the navigator object to the next object." On my Mac I use the FN key with the right arrow to perform the key stroke to simulate the "End" key. When I press just the FN + right arrow, when in input help, I get the message, "end". So I know that the latter key combination works. I wonder if it will only take certain keys at once. If so, besides using Sharp keys, is there another work around anyone knows of?

I hope this clarifies any questions you may have.

Thanks again,

Hector

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 2:41 AM, James AUSTIN <james.londonsw15@...> wrote:
[...]

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
[...]

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

a mac keyboard has the same keys as any standard keyboard. they call it an option key instead of a windows key, but they still have it. All other keys are the same, including page up, page down, delete, home, end, and insert. Now, of course, if you're using a laptop, then all bets are off, as is the case with any laptop, but I assure you, macs have the same keys as windows keyboards, because when the manufacturers build keyboards, they don't build them for windows, mac, linux, dos or any other operating system, they build them for a personal computer, what computer that desktop keyboard plugs into is irrelevant.

[...]

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

Hello, Not to be contentious or anything, but the apple bluetooth keyboard sited by hecter is made by apple specifically for apple products.

Hecter, your keyboard uses fn plus right arrow for end, making the required keystroke nvda + fn + shift + right arrow. The apple bluetooth keyboard is very minimalist, but as some one else said, you can use nvda + 1 to press key combinations and see what they do.

If you have a little money to spend, you can also install VMware fusion and virtualize your bootcamp partician. You can then use karabiner to add aditional functionality to your apple keyboard including a built in number pad and assignments for keys such as the application context key.

This is the setup I used when I owned a mac.

Sorry I missed this when it first came out. I'll keep my eye on the thread in case any one else has questions.

Best,

Erik

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On February 6, 2017 1:55:43 PM "Travis Siegel" <tsiegel@softcon.com> wrote:

[...]

Arlene

That's what I thought! Why would you want to use an Apple key board on a windows computer? The Apple keyboard functions are for Apple what I thought!

[...]

Oh, okay! Sorry about that! I was wondering why you were asking about a mac keyboard.  Now it makes sense. Okay I get it.  sorry for the last post.

[...]

The wired keyboard can be used on a Windows PC.

On 6 Feb 2017, at 20:08, Arlene <nedster66@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

I've used apple specific keyboards on windows machines, and I've used windows keyboards on the mac, the only difference is the windows/apple keys. And, on mac, you can swap the functions of those keys easily enough. I say again, keyboard origin has no impact on usability.