Topics

VarioUltra and NVDA

Amy Ruell <womantech@...>

                Hello,

How do I enter a space and a backspace when using the VarioUltra and NVDA? Is there a list of commands for braille displays?

Thanks.

Quentin Christensen

Hi Amy,

Here's the section from the User Guide on using Baum displays including the VarioUltra specifically:

12.5. Baum/Humanware/APH/Orbit Braille Displays

Several BaumHumanWareAPH and Orbit displays are supported when connected via USB, bluetooth or serial. These include:

  • Baum: SuperVario, PocketVario, VarioUltra, Pronto!, SuperVario2, Vario 340
  • HumanWare: Brailliant, BrailleConnect, Brailliant2
  • APH: Refreshabraille
  • Orbit: Orbit Reader 20

Some other displays manufactured by Baum may also work, though this has not been tested.

If connecting via USB to displays which do not use HID, you must first install the USB drivers provided by the manufacturer. The VarioUltra and Pronto! use HID. The Refreshabraille and Orbit Reader 20 can use HID if configured appropriately.

The USB serial mode of the Orbit Reader 20 is currently only supported in Windows 10. USB HID should generally be used instead.

Following are the key assignments for these displays with NVDA. Please see your display's documentation for descriptions of where these keys can be found.

NameKey
Scroll braille display backd2
Scroll braille display forwardd5
Move braille display to previous lined1
Move braille display to next lined3
Route to braille cellrouting

For displays which have a joystick:

NameKey
upArrow keyup
downArrow keydown
leftArrow keyleft
rightArrow keyright
enter keyselect

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Simon Jaeger

I'm curious how you pasted that html into the message directly. Anyway, it's good to know this section exists... but it still doesn't explain the backspace problem. I'm experiencing the same thing when connecting over bluetooth. I actually posted a thread yesterday about this subject.

Simon

On 2017-02-07 19:56, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi Amy,

[...]

Simon,

I just copied out of the user guide and pasted into the message - the list must accept HTML messages?

Re the backspace question, I wasn't 100% sure, is it perhaps in the manual for the Vario Ultra?

Regards

Quentin.

On 2017-02-07 19:56, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi Amy,

[...]

Hmmm, I didn't think NVDA copied HTML formatting along with content. If it does, that's pretty cool. I didn't see anything in the user guide about it, sadly. I'm pretty limited in what I can do with the keyboard. I can write in computer Braille and use the arrows and enter, and that's pretty much it. I can't backspace and I can't even use the letters as web navigation keys. Maybe it'd work better if I went through brltty or over USB, but it's definitely kinda broken on Bluetooth.