Significant Area Of Excel Where Ribbons simply Make No Sense and Don't Work

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I have started a new thread on this ribbon business since some have complained that the other thread had drifted away from the original intent.

Here's one big issue with ribbons and Excel.

If one wants to insert a structural element of a work book such as a row, column area or sheet, one cannot do this by navigating the ribbons. The short cut which I will describe does work, but this was given to me by someone who figured it out with sighted help.

First of all, try looking for the items under the insert portion of the ribbon. They simply aren't there. Then via experimentation and observation, you find a separate insert item under the home portion of the ribbon under general. There's a problem, if you simply navigate to the insert item, and press either enter or space bar, nothing happens. somehow if you use the shortcut alt + h, I, you do get a list of items. You can then pick the desired item and press enter and follow the prompts or whatever. If you don't know the designated shortcut sequence, you simply can't find this item and get it to work with screen readers: JAWS or NVDA.

I know I have seen this in other Microsoft programs such as Access and Power Point as well.

I'm sorry folks, using ribbons does not give full access to screen reader users in many programs as we used to have under the standard drop down or pull down menus.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Quentin Christensen

Hi Ron,

You are correct, and it is definitely a bug in Office (It works exactly the same with no screen reader running).  I have found one workaround, which is when you hear NVDA read "split button", you know the option opens a menu.  While enter or space should work, if you press alt+down arrow, it does open the menu.

Re items on the home ribbon, I have always had a bit of a concern with the Home ribbon.  After all, items on the other ribbons are more or less logical (there are a few, ok a lot, you could argue, but bear with me) - the Home ribbon, however, is purely what Microsoft THINK people need access to more regularly.

I couldn't understand why half the Word home ribbon was taken up with Styles when Word 2007 came out - after all, a good portion of Word users still likely couldn't tell you what styles are, let alone use them.

Back to inserting rows and columns specifically, and I can give you another way to do that as well:

CONTROL+SHIFT+= (CONTROL, SHIFT and EQUALS) or CONTROL+PLUS.

If you have one or more full rows selected (SHIFT+SPACEBAR btw) when you press this, it will automatically insert one or more rows above the selected rows (same number of rows as you have selected).

If you have one or more full columns selected (CONTROL+SPACEBAR for that one), then it inserts columns.

If you don't have a full row or column selected, it will open a dialog asking whether you want to shift cells right, shift cells down, insert a row or insert a column.

(Note that those are all Excel commands, there is nothing specific to NVDA there.)

Here endeth the lesson :)  All this and more will be in the Microsoft Excel with NVDA training module, which will be available later this year.

Regards

Quentin.

On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 5:37 PM, Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> wrote:
[...]

Training Material Developer

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene

Why are you assuming that is the fault of the ribbon?  Why can't it be some sort of improper implementation?  I don't know what accounts for what you are describing but without more information perhaps of a technical nature, why assume the ribbons are the problem?

Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2017 12:37 AM
Subject: [nvda] Significant Area Of Excel Where Ribbons simply Make No Sense and Don't Work

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

However playing devils advocate a little here, can one be sure that the original menu version of this worked or did it only work via mouse selection or direct shortcut?
This sounds to me like an issue with the software in that the keyboard action of getting the dialogue or whatever to focus enough to get at the options simply won't work in that case. As such it needs to be sorted by Microsoft if it has Jaws and nvda giving similar results.
Its not that the function is not there, it is, but in an illogical place and seemingly not selectable from the ribbon route, only by mouse or keyboard shortcuts.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Actually,

Thinking on it a bit further, and looking back at the ribbon in Word and Excel, the key word is "split button".  A split button, visually, is a button where you activate the main part of it to do the most common action.  An arrow coming off the right side opens a menu of other related options.  The most common example of a split button is the start menu item for a program such as Word in Windows 7.  When you arrow to Word in the start menu in Windows 7, you can either press ENTER to go into a blank document (or the backstage) in Word.  Alternatively, you can press the right arrow to open a "jump list" of recent documents you have used in Word.

Insert, Delete and Format cells in Excel are setup the same way.  When you press ENTER on the insert button, for me it inserts a cell and pushes the rest down.  If I have multiple cells selected, it inserts multiple cells, pushing either right or down, depending on what was selected.

Merge and Centre, Font Colour, Accounting number format, and sum all do the same thing on the home ribbon in Excel,  They all have an action they perform if you activate them, and a list of related actions you can get to if you alt+down arrow on them.  It might not be obvious, but there you go.

Regards

Quentin.

On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 9:46 PM, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...> wrote:
However playing devils advocate a little here, can one be sure that the original menu version of this worked or did it only work via mouse selection or direct shortcut?
This sounds to me like an issue with the software in that the keyboard action of getting the dialogue or whatever to focus enough to get at the options simply won't work in that case. As such it needs to be sorted by Microsoft if it has Jaws and nvda giving similar results.
Its not that the function is not there, it is, but in an illogical place and seemingly not  selectable from the ribbon route, only by mouse or keyboard shortcuts.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ron Canazzi" <aa2vm@...>
[...]

Thanks very much for this valuable information.  Boy this is just what I need!

[...]

The function may be there, and indeed maybe it's screen reader related. However, as a user of Office since 2000, I never had this problem with standard pull down and drop down menus.

Point being that if there were no ribbons, the additional software malfunction with respect to screen readers would not have been created. So simply condemning blind people for being lazy or stupid or whatever and trying to create the idea that ribbons pose no additional problems for screen reader users is simply wrong.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ron Canazzi" <aa2vm@roadrunner.com>
[...]

Hi Quentin,

I tried navigating to the insert split button as follows:

alt + H, control + right arrow until I hear insert split button, then right arrow, nothing happens, for laughs and giggles left arrow, nothing happens, enter, space bar, attempted routing of cursors and simulated mouse click with left or right click and nothing.  This is with Office 2016/Excel.

[...]

Rui Fontes

Hello!

Why not just press Applications key, choose Insert and select what you want to insert?

Rui

On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 5:37 PM, Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@roadrunner.com> wrote:
[...]

Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Ron Canazzi

The list of things to insert using that context menu does not include insert sheet. It does include column, row and movement of cells. That's interesting. No one ever mentioned that one to me. I see from help screens that you can press shift + F11 to insert a new sheet. My original point wasn't that things can't be done in later versions of Excel, but that in particular, the ribbons are not very easy to use if you want to have total control without sighted help and that in some cases, such as the split button issue I described earlier, they don't work at all.

-----Mensagem Original----- De: Quentin Christensen
Data: 18 de fevereiro de 2017 08:21
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

Ron,

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my message - you can't press right arrow on split buttons in the Excel ribbon - the example I gave of the start menu worked differently but what I was thinking when I said it, was that it might be a relatable example.

To access the split button in Excel, press alt+h for the home ribbon, then control+right arrow to get to the section as you did, then alt+down arrow, as yu can to open a drop down list.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 12:39 AM, Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> wrote:

[...]

What happens if you just use down arrow?  If right arrow doesn't work on a split button, you should always try down arrow.  If you try down arrow first for some reason and it doesn't work. try right arrow.  I haven't seen alt down arrow given as a command to be used with any split buttons.  Is alt down arrow an expected command for certain ones?

[...]

Gene,

Down arrow doesn't work in this case, because you can use the arrow keys to navigate around the ribbon.  It's not recommended because the ribbon changes between being anywhere from 1 to three items high with no indication and using the arrows it is easy to miss items.  That is why tab is generally recommended to move between items as it will seamlessly move between all the items, regardless of their layout.

Regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 11:30 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

OK, that worked.  Give me the old fashion pull downs so I can figure this out myself <laugh>!

[...]

This again proves that in complex menu and listing structures, the ribbons are a bear.

[...]

I know you should tab and shift tab to move through ribbons.  But I was puzzled that neither right nor down arrow worked on the split button.  Evidently, there are some split buttons where alt down arrow needs to be used.  I haven't seen that command discussed before.

The way I explain movement to open a split button is that it depends on the structure you are in.  In a menu, which moves down the screen, you right arrow on the split button.  In a tool bar that moves across the screen, you down arrow to open the split button.  If a split button is directly in a ribbon, I'm not sure what you do.  Is that where you use alt down arrow?

[...]

But if no one had told you to use alt down arrow in many combo boxes, you wouldn't have figured that out either.  Which just goes back to my earlier statement.  A lot of problems people have with ribbons is because of inadequate or no instruction.  that isn't the fault of ribbons.  You may argue, of course, that ribbons shouldn't have been introduced and I have no opinion about that.  My point is that a lot of the complaints you hear are the result of poor or no training.  I read about how to use ribbons but I never read about the alt down arrow command.  Evidently, the material I read was inadequate in that respect.

[...]

It doesn't prove that.  You are complaining about split buttons which aren't confined to ribbons.  it is not fair to blame ribbons for split buttons just as it isn't fair for someone who doesn't understand the concept of the default button in dialogs to complain that some buttons don't work properly when enter is used on them.  If you use enter on all buttons, you will get unexpected results at times because of the concept and implementation of default buttons.

[...]

Bill Holton <bill32607@...>

Try the old Dash Q tell me a menu. Anything you're looking for, it can find it right away

Sent from my iPhone

Data: 18 de fevereiro de 2017 08:21
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

I agree some ribbons I can get used to.
Ie the office ribbons after a bit are like little mobiles, but I havn't got used to all the windows ones.
Although in theory I wander if I could just tell cortana to copy and do other opps would it actually say copy all in folder a to folder b replace all files in folder a with folder b and not prompt?

briang1@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk>,
[...]

I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a
banana boat!"

-- Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
<http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/>

Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
<http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>
Twitter: @NVAccess