Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2017 8:13 AM
Subject: [nvda] Questions and suggestions

Hi there,
I have a few comments, suggestions, questions etc.
1. Whenever I type anything into the Run dialog that has anything to do with NVDA, NVDA itself attempts to run.
This is a difficult one to comment on – that can be extremely helpful if NVDA has crashed, or you’re trying to revive your screenreader after some other mishap. However it also means I can’t enter any websites that have anything to do with NVDA in the address.
I do tend to access most things from the run dialog, as it’s a simple process of Win+R, type, enter, rather than having to browse for a program through explorer. Could this possibly be fixed so that a URL will take you to the appropriate place?
2. Profiles have a tendancy to use all settings, when you might want to keep some of the global settings active. For instance, if a profile is running and I change the audio output, as soon as that profile is deactivated the audio reverts back when chances are I want it to stay. Again, difficult to comment on, since not sure how it would be possible to have an option for any or every setting to stay global for a profile etc.
3. Even if no profiles are used, if you change the audio device, tones played by NVDA (for instance indentation, progress bars etc) don’t take this change into account until NVDA is restarted. I’m assuming this is a bug.
4. I have replaced the default NVDA sounds and would prefer it to retain my sounds after an update if at all possible. I do understand why the original sounds folder is reverted (it probably sees the sounds in its own package as being part of the upgrade, or perhaps it simply replaces every file in case of other conflicts), but perhaps a soundscheme setting or a user sounds folder could be a possibility?
5. This is perhaps the most important – NVDA seems to have a tendancy to miss labels and static texts that other screenreaders have no problems finding. I myself noticed a change in a program I used to use quite regularly when switching to NVDA a few years ago, and I’m finding more and more programs that I’m downloading or using simply saying “edit”, “list”, “button” etc without giving any indication as to what these controls are trying to tell me. This also goes for some webpages, where labels can and often are attached to the control they are referencing. Some treeviews also seem unaware of their items names, statuses etc, saying “Unknown” for every node and no indication as to whether it has subitems etc. When these kinds of things crop up I am automatically assuming that these are application-specific accessibility issues, but when I’m seeing this behaviour for multiple applications and people with other screenreaders are using them with no issues it does make me wonder if NVDA has some issues somewhere. Granted, NVDA works well with a lot of applications, but I’m wondering whether it has internal support for most of these? Does every application ideally need an app module for optimal accessibility?
Cheers.
Damien.

Damien Sykes-Lindley <damien@...>

Hi Gene,
To be honest, I’ve never liked the start menu, or the desktop. If you have tons and tons of things installed you often find they can be far too cluttered. I would rather type a filename, and possibly a path if the appropriate environment variables haven’t been set, than go through 350 shortcuts to find what I’m looking for.
Even back in the XP days when there was no menu search facility, I preferred the Run method, though sometimes if I knew exactly what I was looking for and I was sure I could get to it quickly (such as start, s, enter for Skype), I would use the start menu. But ever since the start menu changed in Vista, I never touched it again. Far, far too cluttered, and in my experience, the search feature was completely useless, hence the reason I’ve removed it from the Windows Features. It’s completely gone downhill.
Again though. Each to their own. I can certainly understand the appeal if you know there are only a select few programs you use on a regular basis and you do a shortcut cleanup, but I run what I need, when I need, and can’t say for certain that I use anything more than the other.
Especially now I’m starting on mainstream software development toolkits I’m becoming more and more familiar with the command line every day, so the run dialog seems trivial now, in comparison. I also find that the path environment variable and symbolic links are also rather helpful. They take a bit of grasping and setting up, but I so love Win+R, docs, enter to get to the My Documents folder!
Cheers.
Damien.

Gene

I don't know what you know and, as I said, I don't want to assume.  I have written this somewhat long message in case you don't know some of what I'm discussing.  Others can provide discussions of good instructional material, if you wish.  If you already know what I've explained here, then this message won't tell you anything new but I'd rather discuss these matters than not so you and others following the thread will have the information if interested..

I don't know how much you know about efficient navigation in Windows structures.  You don't have to go through item after item.  There's first letter navigation.  And if you have six items on the desktop that begin with the letter n, you can type more of the name of the item.  For example, typing nv will take you to the NVDA icon.  You don't just have to type the first letter.  In the all programs list, you can use first letter navigation but you can't type more than one letter as I recall. My recollection is that what I'm calling the all programs list is technically a menu.  The desktop is a list.

In menus, only the designated letter will move you to the item.  In a list, typing the first letter or more will either move you to it or will move you to items that begin with the letter or letters.  Often, in menus, it's the first letter but this can't be assumed.  I believe that in the all programs menu, it's always the first letter of the item.

When using the start menu search field, you can often just type one word to get to something if you do a bit of experimentation to figure out what that is.  I can get immediately to Windows Live Mail by just typing the word mail.  The other words, typing either Windows or the word live brings up too many results to be efficient.

Do you know how to create shortcuts and to use shortcuts, already existing or created by you, to assign short cut commands to?  I have assigned the command control alt m to open Mozilla Firefox.  I can use that command almost anywhere to open it.  I can use the command control alt w to open Windows Live Mail.  And I have lots more.  Some people like short cuts more than others but if you don't know about them and try them, you are overlooking one of the fastest and most convenient ways to open items in Windows.

And short cut commands can be used to open more than programs.  They can be used to open drives or you can open a folder or a file you use constantly or a great deal just by issuing one command.

Not everything I've said may apply in Windows 10, I don't know.  I don't use Windows 10.  But most of it will, or will with slight modifications.  And that is true of Windows 8 as well.

I'm not trying to be didactic or dictatorial but I hope that if you don't know the things I've been discussing, that you get some good instructional material.  Windows is very convenient and efficient when used as designed.  It isn't when used as though it were something else, like DOS.

Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2017 9:55 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Questions and suggestions

[...]

Hotkeys are indeed excellent. One of the first thing I look for in a program is hotkeys. In fact, some have so many that it’s hard to memorise all of them. But at least they’re there!
The only problem I have with Windows shortcuts being linked to them is that, because they are global throughout the whole system, it can unfortunately cause conflicts with other running applications that utilise those shortcuts. For instance, I could assign a ctrl+alt+q shortcut to launch QWS (a MIDI sequencer), and another application may use ctrl+alt+q to mean quit. I have known ctrl+alt+o for options, ctrl+alt+x for exit, ctrl+alt+n/p for next/previous, all of which can be assigned to a Windows hotkey, and then it’s touch and go as to which item activates. Otherwise, I’m definitely all for hotkeys!
As an aside, I must admit I do find it odd, and mildly frustrating that there are four modifier keys that can be used to register hotkeys and yet it is still possible to run out of logical keys! This is even more so for global shortcut-linked ones, since I think you can only have ctrl+alt and ctrl+shift combos. Possibly if you’re extremely dextrous you might be able to have ctrl+shift+alt, I haven’t dared to try that one. Lol.
First letter navigation. Now you mention it I am aware of it. I use it all the time to move quickly to files in Explorer. But for some reason it didn’t cross my mind for the desktop (even though I know that is also controlled by explorer). I guess because my explorer is in detail view, and the desktop shows as a sort of grid layout I treated them as two separate systems. Strange how brains work!
Cheers.
Damien.

Gene

I don't know how the desktop is classified in later versions of Windows but as late as Windows 7 it is classified as a list.  I suspect it is in later versions as well.  The instructional materials I used in my early days of learning Windows said that first letter navigation works in the desktop so I never considered that some people might not realize it because of the difference in layout.

Even if you already know the other things I discussed, I hope my comments about the desktop are helpful.

[...]

Chris Mullins

I concur with Gene and I do use Windows 10.  The start menu and desktop are all configurable to your own specification, so they are only as cluttered as you choose to make them and as Gene says, you can find applications quickly by typing one or two letters.  You can also create shortcuts which don’t appear on the desktop, so they’re only a single keystroke away and don’t clutter anything.

Cheers

Chris

Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2017 9:55 AM

[...]

Arlene

Hi, I don’t know if I can say here! When you go to your system trey. Why not make future builds of NVDA be insert F 11? Instead of windows B.

[...]

Andre Fisher

Because Windows+B is the Windows specific shortcut.

On 2/23/17, Arlene <nedster66@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Oh I see. I seen with other screen readers it was insert F 11. Just my 2 cents.

[...]

ctrl+able
to have ctrl+shift+alt, I haven’t dared to try that one. Lol.

First letter navigation. Now you mention it I am aware of it. I use it
all the time to move quickly to files in Explorer. But for some reason
it didn’t cross my mind for the desktop (even though I know that is
also controlled by explorer). I guess because my explorer is in detail
view, and the desktop shows as a sort of grid layout I treated them as two separate systems.
Strange how brains work!

Cheers.
Damien.

Quentin Christensen

Just for completeness, since the same topic is in both threads, you can do this with the SysTrayList addon: https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/systrayList.en.html

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Arlene

Confirmed! I can get to the system trey using windows B with Jaws 14 along with NVDA I’ll just have to pay a visit to the addons site.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Because NVDA is not jaws, and there's no reason to make it mirror jaws keystrokes.  The windows-b keystroke will work no matter what you use for a screen reader, since it's a windows command.  That's why NVDA uses it.  There is no dedicated NVDA keystroke for this function.

On 2/23/2017 8:36 PM, Arlene wrote:

[...]

Avast logo

Arlene

I just tried Insert B using Jaws 14. It takes you to the trey!

[...]

Alexander Masic

You can atually donload a adons who made this. I have done it, However i'm using windows+b anyway, ok. i can se some advantages with this adons. partuculary for new users: because you can right or left click on it. by tab to that.

Den 2017-02-24 kl. 05:21, skrev Travis Siegel:

[...]

That isn't the reason and that argument is irrelevant.  The system tray wasn't accessible years ago through Windows.  There needed to be a screen-reader dialog to provide access.  That's how the whole separate access got started and System Access uses the same command.  Window-eyes uses a different command but it too provides a system tray dialog.

There are times, like it or not, when the dialog works better than using the Windows access method and it should be provided as a part of screen-readers.

Sometimes, I get access to something using the Windows method when the dialog doesn't work properly and at other times, I have found the only way I've gotten access to an item is by using the dialog.  These instances where one or the other method doesn't work are rare but the argument that the screen-reader dialog method is nothing but duplication is not correct.

Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2017 10:21 PM

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Are you using windows 8 or 10, are these portable versions of nvda.
It is certainly the case that the most recent windows aare not as good on portable nvda tan 7 and xp were.
Not seen the web site wiith nvda in it issue myself. I have to say. Is this only with nvda at the start?
If so then use the full address http:// and it should be ok.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

There are loads of room on the desktop and start menu for shortcuts. Shortcuts on the desktop can be made to hav hot key access so you should not need to go through loads of stuff. In 10, the alpherbetic display of items is a great idea. I think also.
[...]

I have a feeling though, that often shortcuts not on the desktop are subordinate to those on it. this means often that they do not actual work with their shrotcut sequence unless you are in the area where they reside.
[...]

Not sure what you mean.