Cell reporting in the Document formatting menu

Dejan Ristic

Hi to all,

It would be extremely great to have column numbers reported in a text processor when one does the left/right arrowing in a line.

Let me explain myself in some more detail.

Let's open a Word document, and type NVDA.

With the feature from the message subject, and with the left/right arrowing, it would be possible for one to find out that the letter A is placed at the forth column.

NVDA may be programmed to pronounce it as:

A: Column 4.

V: Column 2.

D: Column 3.

N: Column 1.

Spaces are not supposed to be eliminated.

It would be also great for those working with written forms.

It is possible for me to handle it in Jarte and Ted Notepad.

After I've written something, and positioned my left and/or right arrows on a letter and/or a space, I switch NVDA to the screen review mode, hit the NVDA modifier key, and then arrow down to the very bottom, so that I can hear the column number spoken. I cannot find it in Word 2007.

That's why I say that the very feature would be great when added to the Document formatting menu.

Many of us would automatically stop counting and re-counting columns in lines while arranging our written forms in the best way possible.

Gene

It would be a good idea to have this feature available but you may be doing extra work to find the information now.  the read status line command may read such information in Jarte and Ted.  Have you tried it in Word?

In Microsoft Word, is the window maximized?  I don't know if it matters but Word used to have a status line.  I don't know what newer versions do.  As far as hearing such information read using screen review, are you familiar with the option in NVDA to not have the review follow the cursor?  You could turn on this option, then move to the bottom of the screen with review commands and find the place where you want to hear the information on the bottom line,  If you leave the review cursor there, it will read the number any time you use numpad 5 for read current character.  You can move around the document with the application cursor and never disturb the review position.

Also, the command shift numpad 9 moves the review position to the end of the bottom line on screen.  This saves you the trouble of moving to it initially.

Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 10:20 AM
Subject: [nvda] Cell reporting in the Document formatting menu

Hi to all,

It would be extremely great to have column numbers reported in a text
processor when one does the left/right arrowing in a line.

Let me explain myself in some more detail.

Let's open a Word document, and type NVDA.

With the feature from the message subject, and with the left/right
arrowing, it would be possible for one to find out that the letter A is
placed at the forth column.

NVDA may be programmed to pronounce it as:

A: Column 4.

V: Column 2.

D: Column 3.

N: Column 1.

Spaces are not supposed to be eliminated.

It would be also great for those working with written forms.

It is possible for me to handle it in Jarte and Ted Notepad.

After I've written something, and positioned my left and/or right arrows
on a letter and/or a space, I switch NVDA to the screen review mode, hit
the NVDA modifier key, and then arrow down to the very bottom, so that I
can hear the column number spoken. I cannot find it in Word 2007.

That's why I say that the very feature would be great when added to the
Document formatting menu.

Many of us would automatically stop counting and re-counting columns in
lines while arranging our written forms in the best way possible.

Dejan Ristic

The window is maximized. In the status line, I'm not able to hear the cell reporting. It reports the page number and the number of words. It also reports the current language. I've also tried by hitting NVDA and B to have everything read for me. It reads all, including what the status line presents. Is there an option in Word to be turned on so that the cells in a line may be shown? How can I turn on that option, so that the review does not follow the cursor?

Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 10:20 AM

Hi to all,

It would be extremely great to have column numbers reported in a text
processor when one does the left/right arrowing in a line.

Let me explain myself in some more detail.

Let's open a Word document, and type NVDA.

With the feature from the message subject, and with the left/right
arrowing, it would be possible for one to find out that the letter A is
placed at the forth column.

NVDA may be programmed to pronounce it as:

A: Column 4.

V: Column 2.

D: Column 3.

N: Column 1.

Spaces are not supposed to be eliminated.

It would be also great for those working with written forms.

It is possible for me to handle it in Jarte and Ted Notepad.

After I've written something, and positioned my left and/or right arrows
on a letter and/or a space, I switch NVDA to the screen review mode, hit
the NVDA modifier key, and then arrow down to the very bottom, so that I
can hear the column number spoken. I cannot find it in Word 2007.

That's why I say that the very feature would be great when added to the
Document formatting menu.

Many of us would automatically stop counting and re-counting columns in
lines while arranging our written forms in the best way possible.

I don't know if there is any such adjust ment for the status line.  I doubt it but we'll see what others say.

As far as the NVDA setting is concerned, open the nvda menu and open preferences.  Find and press enter on review cursor.  You are now in a dialog.  Uncheck the item you are on with the space bar.  Tab to and uncheck the next one as well. The items are follow system Focus and follow system carret.  After unchecking these items, press enter.  The dialog is now closed and the settings have been changed.
When you want to change them back, use the command NVDA Key r.  You should hear configuration applied.  The configuration NVDA uses when it runs is now being used again.  That will save you the trouble of changing the settings manually.

Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 10:20 AM

Hi to all,

It would be extremely great to have column numbers reported in a text
processor when one does the left/right arrowing in a line.

Let me explain myself in some more detail.

Let's open a Word document, and type NVDA.

With the feature from the message subject, and with the left/right
arrowing, it would be possible for one to find out that the letter A is
placed at the forth column.

NVDA may be programmed to pronounce it as:

A: Column 4.

V: Column 2.

D: Column 3.

N: Column 1.

Spaces are not supposed to be eliminated.

It would be also great for those working with written forms.

It is possible for me to handle it in Jarte and Ted Notepad.

After I've written something, and positioned my left and/or right arrows
on a letter and/or a space, I switch NVDA to the screen review mode, hit
the NVDA modifier key, and then arrow down to the very bottom, so that I
can hear the column number spoken. I cannot find it in Word 2007.

That's why I say that the very feature would be great when added to the
Document formatting menu.

Many of us would automatically stop counting and re-counting columns in
lines while arranging our written forms in the best way possible.

Dejan Ristic

Thank you, thank you, friend.

I'm going to experiment.

Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 10:20 AM

Hi to all,

It would be extremely great to have column numbers reported in a text
processor when one does the left/right arrowing in a line.

Let me explain myself in some more detail.

Let's open a Word document, and type NVDA.

With the feature from the message subject, and with the left/right
arrowing, it would be possible for one to find out that the letter A is
placed at the forth column.

NVDA may be programmed to pronounce it as:

A: Column 4.

V: Column 2.

D: Column 3.

N: Column 1.

Spaces are not supposed to be eliminated.

It would be also great for those working with written forms.

It is possible for me to handle it in Jarte and Ted Notepad.

After I've written something, and positioned my left and/or right arrows
on a letter and/or a space, I switch NVDA to the screen review mode, hit
the NVDA modifier key, and then arrow down to the very bottom, so that I
can hear the column number spoken. I cannot find it in Word 2007.

That's why I say that the very feature would be great when added to the
Document formatting menu.

Many of us would automatically stop counting and re-counting columns in
lines while arranging our written forms in the best way possible.

Thomas Stivers

    All,

The column number can be included in the word status bar.

1. After opening Word press F6 to switch to the status bar pane. If you have other panes open you may have to press F6 more than once.

2. Press the Applications key or Shift+F10 to open the context menu for the status bar.

3. In this menu there are a number of items which can be shown or hidden by pressing enter on them.

4. Press escape once you have added and removed the status bar items you like and then Shift+F6 to get back to the open document.

While this will tell you the column number I have not found a way to get NVDA to report the horizontal position of the cursor in inches. To me this is even more important than the column number because if a line is centered its first character will still be called column 1 though it does not line up with column 1 of left aligned paragraphs or even with other centered paragraphs. Is there a way to get the horizontal position information in Word documents from NVDA?

Thanks, and hope my answer is helpful.

Thomas

Dejan Ristic

Thankful to have got and understood this instruction. I sincerely hope that you'll be provided with some help, too.