does nvda have number processing?

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

Hi, is there a way  to tell nvda how to handle number processing?

Quentin Christensen

If you mean to read "12345" as "one two three four five" or "Twelve thousand, three hundred and forty-five", then not so much at this stage, the synthesizer mostly handles that currently.  You could add an entry to the dictionary, probably using Regex would be easiest, to try and adjust how numbers are read, or else create an add-on.  The tricky thing is with any adjustment to how something is read, that in different contexts, the same text can mean different things, for instance. "Ring the doctor on 5556835" would be more easily understood if the numbers are read out individually, whereas "I got a new high score in my game: 5556835!" sounds better as five million, five hundred and fifty-six thousand, eight hundred and thirty-five, but it's very hard to pick the right context.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

David Griffith

If what is being asked for is to amend the way numbers are read I believe  that NVDA already has this flexibility built into it.

On my system Eloquence reads out numbers  in normal format by default with NVDA.

If I want that number read out as single digits I  focus on the number and press numpad 5 twice.

This causes NVDA to reads out the number as separate single digits.

If I want the number read out as a whole number again I press the numpad 5 once.

Number processing can therefore be managed on the fly.

David Griffith

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Very true.  I was thinking of the more context sensitive pronunciation I guess too, similar to the way that, for instance "dr", which in one case means "doctor" but in another case means "drive".