From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Simon Jaeger
Sent: Saturday, 25 February 2017 8:05 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Headers in Microsoft Word

hi,

Any idea how I can read these? Seems like a stupid thing to install a 40 minute JAWS demo for.

Simon

Simon Jaeger

Hi,

Thanks for this. I do wish those old shortcuts were still documented somewhere. I'll give that a try next time I create a few of them.

Simon

On 2017-02-28 3:04, Christo Vorster wrote:
Hi Simon

I use the Office 2003 command, ALT+V and then H to read my headers. There might be other shortcuts that work, but for me this is the one I prefer.

Cheers

Any idea how I can read these? Seems like a stupid thing to install a 40 minute JAWS demo for.

Simon

Gene

Unless you are using a version of word with menus, it won't work.  What are technically called accelerator commands, which allow you to do something by bypassing menus or ribbons still mostly work.  Commands such as control for open, for example.  Ribbon programs have one menu.  In that menu, some things work as before in terms of short cut commands.  You can probably open the save as dialog with alt f a.  But that's because that command is in the menu and Microsoft intentionally preserved the old short cut sequence.

On 2017-02-28 3:04, Christo Vorster wrote:
> Hi Simon
>
> I use the Office 2003 command, ALT+V and then H to read my headers. There might be other shortcuts that work, but for me this is the one I prefer.
>
> Cheers
>
> Christo Vorster (Worcester, South Africa)

Gene

I should have said the command is likely not to work if you are using a ribbon version.  I don't use word so I can't check.

On 2017-02-28 3:04, Christo Vorster wrote:
> Hi Simon
>
> I use the Office 2003 command, ALT+V and then H to read my headers. There might be other shortcuts that work, but for me this is the one I prefer.
>
> Cheers
>
> Christo Vorster (Worcester, South Africa)

The Gamages

Hello,

It may also be worth mentioning that the shortcut is a toggle to open
the headers and footers dialogue and to close it after reading or
editing.

Most 2003 shortcuts still work in ribbon versions.

Best Regards, Jim.

Thanks for this. I do wish those old shortcuts were still documented
somewhere. I'll give that a try next time I create a few of them.

Simon

Any idea how I can read these? Seems like a stupid thing to install a
40 minute JAWS demo for.

Simon

Gene

Commands such as control o, control n, etc. that bypass menus and ribbons often work.  Shortcuts that rely on menus generally don't work in ribbon programs.  And, as I said, the kind of short cuts such as control o, control n, etc. aren't actually shortcuts, even though most people call them short cuts.  They are accellerator commands.

On 2017-02-28 3:04, Christo Vorster wrote:
> Hi Simon
>
> I use the Office 2003 command, ALT+V and then H to read my headers.
> There might be other shortcuts that work, but for me this is the one I
> prefer.
>
> Cheers
>
> Christo Vorster (Worcester, South Africa)

Christo Vorster

Hi Simon

Contact me off list and I'll probably be able to send you a rather complete list.

My address is:

Christo.vorster@pioneerschool.org.za

Regards

Hi Simon