New windows not always detected


Felix G.
 

Hello,
I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:
When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search field.
For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.
It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting and stopping.
Kind regards,
Felix


Michael Capelle <mcapelle@...>
 

yes, this happens all the time on my 7 and 10 machine.
 

From: Felix G.
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 1:51 AM
Subject: [nvda] New windows not always detected
 
Hello,
I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:
When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search field.
For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.
It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting and stopping.
Kind regards,
Felix


Jacques <lists4js@...>
 

As previously reported, this scenario certainly is true for Office applications too. I personally am hoping for an improvement in this regard for the next release. However, I do have sympathy for the developers, since it cannot be reproduced consistently.

 

Jacques

 

Open my home page  |  contact webmaster  |  follow on Twitter

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Felix G.
Sent: Saturday, 25 February 2017 09:51
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] New windows not always detected

 

Hello,

I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:

When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search field.

For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.

It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting and stopping.

Kind regards,

Felix


 

hi.
i use windows xp and dont have such problem.
i am not sure about other versions of windows.

On 2/25/17, Jacques <lists4js@runbox.com> wrote:
As previously reported, this scenario certainly is true for Office
applications too. I personally am hoping for an improvement in this regard
for the next release. However, I do have sympathy for the developers, since
it cannot be reproduced consistently.



Jacques



<https://www.stascom.co.za/> Open my home page |
<mailto:webmaster@stascom.co.za> contact webmaster |
<https://www.twitter.com/stassenj> follow on Twitter



From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Felix
G.
Sent: Saturday, 25 February 2017 09:51
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] New windows not always detected



Hello,

I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:

When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla
Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active
window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will
still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing
tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected
action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search
field.

For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an
awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under
certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.

It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and the
dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting and
stopping.

Kind regards,

Felix



--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
imam hosein is the beacon of light and the ark of salvation.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
al-islam.org


Dejan Ristic
 

I have encountered it, too.


On 2/25/2017 8:51 AM, Felix G. wrote:
Hello,
I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:
When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search field.
For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.
It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting and stopping.
Kind regards,
Felix


Virus-free. www.avast.com


Gene
 

I've seen this but there is no reason to assume that focus has properly shifted in Windows,  Presssing tab may cause some event to occur that finishes the focus change.  I doubt this is an NVDA problem but whether it is or not, this can be tested by using another screen-reader to test with such as a JAWS demo. 
 
Also, those knowledgeable in reading the NVDA log may be able to determine if this is an NVDA problem by reading the log.  But the fact that the problem occurs in very few programs makes me somewhat skeptical that it is an NVDA problem.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: Felix G.
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 1:51 AM
Subject: [nvda] New windows not always detected

Hello,
I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:
When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search field.
For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.
It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting and stopping.
Kind regards,
Felix


Gene
 

I saw a message from an XP user saying that he doesn't encounter the problem in XP.  I still use XP and I see the problem in Firefox, Chrome and Tapin Radio.
 
I didn't keep the message so I can't include it in the quoted previous messages.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:29 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected

I have encountered it, too.


On 2/25/2017 8:51 AM, Felix G. wrote:
Hello,
I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:
When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search field.
For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.
It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting and stopping.
Kind regards,
Felix


Virus-free. www.avast.com


Michel Such
 

Hi,


It seems it happens more often on relatively slow machines.


                    Michel SUCH

michel.such@...
Skype : michel.such
Twitter : @SuchMichel
Le 2017-02-25 à 09:32, Gene a écrit :

I saw a message from an XP user saying that he doesn't encounter the problem in XP.  I still use XP and I see the problem in Firefox, Chrome and Tapin Radio.
 
I didn't keep the message so I can't include it in the quoted previous messages.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:29 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected

I have encountered it, too.


On 2/25/2017 8:51 AM, Felix G. wrote:
Hello,
I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:
When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search field.
For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.
It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting and stopping.
Kind regards,
Felix


Virus-free. www.avast.com


Jacques <lists4js@...>
 

This is not correct. Ive seen this behaviour on I7s, including my own.

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michel Such
Sent: Saturday, 25 February 2017 10:41
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected

 

Hi,

 

It seems it happens more often on relatively slow machines.

 

                    Michel SUCH
 
michel.such@...
Skype : michel.such
Twitter : @SuchMichel

Le 2017-02-25 à 09:32, Gene a écrit :

I saw a message from an XP user saying that he doesn't encounter the problem in XP.  I still use XP and I see the problem in Firefox, Chrome and Tapin Radio.

 

I didn't keep the message so I can't include it in the quoted previous messages.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:29 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected

 

I have encountered it, too.

 

On 2/25/2017 8:51 AM, Felix G. wrote:

Hello,

I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:

When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search field.

For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.

It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting and stopping.

Kind regards,

Felix

 

Virus-free. www.avast.com

 


Michel Such
 

I did not say it does not happen on powerful machines, I just that it happens more systematically on small ones.

For example, on my I7 machine, when launching Firevox, NVDA gets to the firefox window most of the time, which almost never happens on my netbook.

There is at leest one app that never gets correctly focused, Libreoffice.


                    Michel SUCH

michel.such@...
Skype : michel.such
Twitter : @SuchMichel
Le 2017-02-25 à 09:45, Jacques a écrit :

This is not correct. Ive seen this behaviour on I7s, including my own.

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michel Such
Sent: Saturday, 25 February 2017 10:41
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected

 

Hi,

 

It seems it happens more often on relatively slow machines.

 

                    Michel SUCH
 
michel.such@...
Skype : michel.such
Twitter : @SuchMichel

Le 2017-02-25 à 09:32, Gene a écrit :

I saw a message from an XP user saying that he doesn't encounter the problem in XP.  I still use XP and I see the problem in Firefox, Chrome and Tapin Radio.

 

I didn't keep the message so I can't include it in the quoted previous messages.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Dejan Ristic

Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:29 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected

 

I have encountered it, too.

 

On 2/25/2017 8:51 AM, Felix G. wrote:

Hello,

I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:

When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search field.

For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.

It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting and stopping.

Kind regards,

Felix

 

Virus-free. www.avast.com

 



Jacques <lists4js@...>
 

I understand, thanks for clarifying your point.

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michel Such
Sent: Saturday, 25 February 2017 11:58
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected

 

I did not say it does not happen on powerful machines, I just that it happens more systematically on small ones.

For example, on my I7 machine, when launching Firevox, NVDA gets to the firefox window most of the time, which almost never happens on my netbook.

There is at leest one app that never gets correctly focused, Libreoffice.

 

                    Michel SUCH
 
michel.such@...
Skype : michel.such
Twitter : @SuchMichel

Le 2017-02-25 à 09:45, Jacques a écrit :

This is not correct. Ive seen this behaviour on I7s, including my own.

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michel Such
Sent: Saturday, 25 February 2017 10:41
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected

 

Hi,

 

It seems it happens more often on relatively slow machines.

 

                    Michel SUCH
 
michel.such@...
Skype : michel.such
Twitter : @SuchMichel

Le 2017-02-25 à 09:32, Gene a écrit :

I saw a message from an XP user saying that he doesn't encounter the problem in XP.  I still use XP and I see the problem in Firefox, Chrome and Tapin Radio.

 

I didn't keep the message so I can't include it in the quoted previous messages.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:29 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected

 

I have encountered it, too.

 

On 2/25/2017 8:51 AM, Felix G. wrote:

Hello,

I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:

When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search field.

For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.

It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting and stopping.

Kind regards,

Felix

 

Virus-free. www.avast.com

 

 


Gene
 

I just tested using XP and JAWS.  On the three programs where I have this or a similar problem, it didn't occur with JAWS.  I tested opening each program twice.  Though I was skeptical that this was an NVDA problem, it now appears that it is.  Perhaps these programs have something in common that causes NVDA to have this initial focus problem. 
 
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: Gene
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:32 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected

I saw a message from an XP user saying that he doesn't encounter the problem in XP.  I still use XP and I see the problem in Firefox, Chrome and Tapin Radio.
 
I didn't keep the message so I can't include it in the quoted previous messages.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:29 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected

I have encountered it, too.


On 2/25/2017 8:51 AM, Felix G. wrote:
Hello,
I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:
When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search field.
For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.
It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting and stopping.
Kind regards,
Felix


Virus-free. www.avast.com


 

whats your solution for solving this?

On 2/25/17, Gene <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:
I just tested using XP and JAWS. On the three programs where I have this or
a similar problem, it didn't occur with JAWS. I tested opening each program
twice. Though I was skeptical that this was an NVDA problem, it now appears
that it is. Perhaps these programs have something in common that causes
NVDA to have this initial focus problem.


Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:32 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected


I saw a message from an XP user saying that he doesn't encounter the problem
in XP. I still use XP and I see the problem in Firefox, Chrome and Tapin
Radio.

I didn't keep the message so I can't include it in the quoted previous
messages.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: Dejan Ristic
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:29 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected


I have encountered it, too.




On 2/25/2017 8:51 AM, Felix G. wrote:

Hello,

I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:

When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla
Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active
window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will
still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing
tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected
action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search
field.

For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an
awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under
certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.

It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and
the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting
and stopping.

Kind regards,

Felix



Virus-free. www.avast.com

--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
imam hosein is the beacon of light and the ark of salvation.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
al-islam.org


Gene
 

I'm not sure what you mean.  When this happens, I either try tabbing or going to the desktop and then alt tabbing back to the program.  In some programs, one approach seems to work better and the other in other programs. 
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 11:07 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected

whats your solution for solving this?

On 2/25/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> I just tested using XP and JAWS.  On the three programs where I have this or
> a similar problem, it didn't occur with JAWS.  I tested opening each program
> twice.  Though I was skeptical that this was an NVDA problem, it now appears
> that it is.  Perhaps these programs have something in common that causes
> NVDA to have this initial focus problem.
>
>
> Gene
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Gene
> Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:32 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected
>
>
> I saw a message from an XP user saying that he doesn't encounter the problem
> in XP.  I still use XP and I see the problem in Firefox, Chrome and Tapin
> Radio.
>
> I didn't keep the message so I can't include it in the quoted previous
> messages.
>
> Gene
> ----- Original Message -----
>
> From: Dejan Ristic
> Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:29 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected
>
>
> I have encountered it, too.
>
>
>
>
> On 2/25/2017 8:51 AM, Felix G. wrote:
>
>   Hello,
>
>   I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:
>
>   When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla
> Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active
> window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will
> still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing
> tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected
> action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search
> field.
>
>   For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an
> awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under
> certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.
>
>   It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and
> the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting
> and stopping.
>
>   Kind regards,
>
>   Felix
>
>
>
>      Virus-free. www.avast.com
>
>


--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
imam hosein is the beacon of light and the ark of salvation.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
al-islam.org



George McCoy <slr1bpz@...>
 

Yes, This happens to me often.  It is not limited to Firefox.  I’m running windows 7 home premium 64 bit version.
 
George
 

From: Felix G.
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 1:51 AM
Subject: [nvda] New windows not always detected
 
Hello,
I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:
When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search field.
For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.
It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting and stopping.
Kind regards,
Felix


Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

Coming in late to this one, and like others no longer have the original message. I posted the other day that sometimes the update for nvda screen opens behind other running aps, and I've also noticed that sometimes a Firefox boot up does not register at all unless you mess about with changing the focus. My initial feelings have always been that some access event is being missed as even on fast machines the log contains watchdog activity such as the core is frozen. and to me that means nvda is effectively suspended and cannot monitor things. I stongly suspect that the programs or events are taking all the resources, maybe only for a split second but its enough to cause the problem so even in process things are not registerd.
Cannot prove it and would have no idea how other screenreaders would work around this, but I put it out there as a suggestion.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "nasrin khaksar" <nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 5:07 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected


whats your solution for solving this?

On 2/25/17, Gene <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:
I just tested using XP and JAWS. On the three programs where I have this or
a similar problem, it didn't occur with JAWS. I tested opening each program
twice. Though I was skeptical that this was an NVDA problem, it now appears
that it is. Perhaps these programs have something in common that causes
NVDA to have this initial focus problem.


Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:32 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected


I saw a message from an XP user saying that he doesn't encounter the problem
in XP. I still use XP and I see the problem in Firefox, Chrome and Tapin
Radio.

I didn't keep the message so I can't include it in the quoted previous
messages.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: Dejan Ristic
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:29 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected


I have encountered it, too.




On 2/25/2017 8:51 AM, Felix G. wrote:

Hello,

I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:

When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla
Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active
window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will
still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing
tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected
action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search
field.

For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an
awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under
certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.

It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and
the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting
and stopping.

Kind regards,

Felix



Virus-free. www.avast.com


--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
imam hosein is the beacon of light and the ark of salvation.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
al-islam.org


 

hi gene.
i exactly ment this one.
thanks so much for your answer and God bless you all.

On 2/26/17, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
Coming in late to this one, and like others no longer have the original
message. I posted the other day that sometimes the update for nvda screen
opens behind other running aps, and I've also noticed that sometimes a
Firefox boot up does not register at all unless you mess about with
changing the focus. My initial feelings have always been that some access
event is being missed as even on fast machines the log contains watchdog
activity such as the core is frozen. and to me that means nvda is
effectively suspended and cannot monitor things. I stongly suspect that the

programs or events are taking all the resources, maybe only for a split
second but its enough to cause the problem so even in process things are not

registerd.
Cannot prove it and would have no idea how other screenreaders would work
around this, but I put it out there as a suggestion.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "nasrin khaksar" <nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 5:07 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected


whats your solution for solving this?

On 2/25/17, Gene <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:
I just tested using XP and JAWS. On the three programs where I have this

or
a similar problem, it didn't occur with JAWS. I tested opening each
program
twice. Though I was skeptical that this was an NVDA problem, it now
appears
that it is. Perhaps these programs have something in common that causes
NVDA to have this initial focus problem.


Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:32 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected


I saw a message from an XP user saying that he doesn't encounter the
problem
in XP. I still use XP and I see the problem in Firefox, Chrome and
Tapin
Radio.

I didn't keep the message so I can't include it in the quoted previous
messages.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: Dejan Ristic
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:29 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected


I have encountered it, too.




On 2/25/2017 8:51 AM, Felix G. wrote:

Hello,

I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:

When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla
Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new
active
window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will
still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However,
pressing
tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the
expected
action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the
search
field.

For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes

an
awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under
certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.

It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot
and
the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks
starting
and stopping.

Kind regards,

Felix



Virus-free. www.avast.com


--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
imam hosein is the beacon of light and the ark of salvation.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
al-islam.org





--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
imam hosein is the beacon of light and the ark of salvation.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
al-islam.org